Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

People Who Are Upset About Not Drafting Secondary Help.

Dark Superman

It's a deep draft, so (a) UDFA might be able to crack the lineup.  It will not be easy for any draft pick from round 5 and up, but they can do it if they really excel in preparations for Training camp.  Good luck to the draft picks and UDFA's to come. Lynch and Brown looking to step up their contributions this year too.

We didn't draft one defensive player that will have a impact on the team from the start. I'm disappointed in Grigson this draft seems similar to last year. We needed a safety and a CB and we didn't draft either. Terrence Brooks was right there for us to draft and he takes a developmental RT, he will regret letting the Ravens draft him. 

I give this draft a C - and only because of Moncrief, but he'll be 4th on the depth chart. I was one of Grigson supporters primarily because of drafting T.Y but i have lost all confidence in him. I now think that Tom Telesco was the main reason for the success of the 2012 class. The Chargers have hit home runs while we haven't even had a single. Luck will have to carry this team again despite a GM who can't give him better help on defense. Russell Wilson and Kaep will have great defenses while Luck have to outscore opponents in high scoring games.

You're talking nonsense and overanalyzing/overreacting.

Also

@mchappell51: Grigson: No safeties in draft. If there's not a player there good enough to pick, you can't pick him. Like players on the roster more.

@mchappell51: Grigson: Handful of safeties we liked, they were gone. Not deep draft for position 

Honestly....   I know I've been very negative today and I'm sorry about that.

But I never worry about the Colts.    Never.

I have some concerns as a fan,  but that's all.    I don't live and die with the Colts winning and losing.    I enjoy it for what it is, but I try not to get too consumed by it.

I really love the Colts.   But I'm assuming most fans here love them more than I do, and I'm OK with that.   Not a competition for me.     I'm enjoying being a Colts fan,  but I never lose sleep over them.

Sorry if I spoiled anyone's day with my comments today.......

If you go back and reread your comments it does seem you have nothing positive at all to say. It's like you have a problem with every move that Grigson has made. If you truly feel that way that's cool for me but it just don't seem right to be so negative when this is the time of year to be upbeat and looking forward to the upcoming season.

If you go back and reread your comments it does seem you have nothing positive at all to say. It's like you have a problem with every move that Grigson has made. If you truly feel that way that's cool for me but it just don't seem right to be so negative when this is the time of year to be upbeat and looking forward to the upcoming season.

CC....    apologies in advance,  this response is going to be a bit long...

If you think I have a problem with every move Grigson made, then you're simply not reading all my posts.

I posted multiple times that I liked Mewhort.   I defended him several times. 

And I liked Moncrief.   Best Player Available.   And I said so.

And I said I'm OK with Newsome.

And the more I read on Jackson, I'm OK with him.

As for the big tackle,  he's a 7th round flier that the scouts like -- so OK.

My objections are specifically that nothing was done to the secondary.....    and no trades were made.     No trade down.   No trading of future pick for a current pick.   I believe Grigson has made more trades in the last 2 years than any other GM.   And the last 3 days he made zero.

I almost never bet, but if pressed I would've bet money that wouldn't have happened.    But it did.

This week Grigson spoke of wanting "win now" type of players.    Great.    I just don't think he did enough to help the team win now.    I don't see a much improved defense.    Our defense was very poorly rated last year.      We got shredded in the playoffs -- twice.     And, as I noted in a post today,  unless our defensive players from the last two drafts ('12 & '13, not this week) unless those guys really step up and improve,  our defense is not going to be much better than last year.  

If the safety opposite Landry isn't good,  we've got a problem.    If Toler can't stay healthy,  we've got a problem.  

I see lots of questions and I'm not sure of the answers.   I'm not saying the answers won't be good once the season starts.   But I was expecting some answers to our questions this week.    And we didn't get them.     So, we have to wait.....

Hope that clarifies....

I'm fine with the first two picks.

The OLB seems OK....

But the GM who has made more trades than any other the last two years made not a single trade. 

Didn't trade back once for more picks.

Didn't trade a future pick for an additional pick.

One of the deepest drafts in history and we started with 5 picks and ended with 5 picks.   I'm beyond shocked.

And nothing for the secondary.....    which Grigs and Pagano openly talked about leading up to the draft.   Nothing.

I don't see a defense that's much better than last year unless the guys I mentioned really step up, and they should.  This is their 2nd or 3rd year, so it's their time to step up.     The Colts need that if the defense is to improve....

Otherwise.................

People read into that because they wanted a S instead of Howell all Pagano said is there are a lot of good one's out there wouldn't mind bringing one in we will see how it goes. This board took that and turned it into we are drafting a S not sure how or why. I posted at least 10x he did not say he was drafting a S.

I am a little disappointed we did not draft a CB especially when it appeared there were a couple of good one's sitting there I thought Terrance Mitchell  was a lock in the 7th but not to be. We got a kid from Jackson St.

There were 3 S in this draft that would have started on this team Ha Ha Pryor Bucannon maybe Ward. Brooks Ravens can have him.

We got absolutely murdered by NE because we could not stop the run we addressed that in the draft. Jones and Jackson FA.

We have the 1 and 3 picks overall of the 2012 draft in our backfield we need an O LIne to make that work. Luck's sacks went down last yr because he is a bad butt he still got hit like the 3rd most times of any starter. That had to end. We got O Line and Run stoppers and still managed to get a WR that is 6'2" 212 and runs a 4.34 40.

There was nothing flashy about the draft but I for one am glad we have a full load of picks next year. We could not keep living like that draft his how you build.

Think on this if it was the deepest draft in years doesn't also have to be the deepest pool of UDFA in years as well???

Looks like saying they were going to draft secondary help was either a smoke screen or their board just didn't break that way. Just really hard to address everything when you have 5 total picks , with no 1st or 4th. Trade for more…? Yeah… maybe .. but maybe they were lacking partners and again your board might need to not have a player you rate way higher than the spot when it arises .

We never said that all Pagano said was there are some good ones he would like to bring one in we will see how it goes. The same thing they say about every position,. The board turned that into we are drafting a S because apparently no one thinks Howell can play.

Think on this if it was the deepest draft in years doesn't also have to be the deepest pool of UDFA in years as well???

You realize that most UDFA are practice squad guys their first year.    For every Jeff Saturday there are probably one or two dozen other FA's that are cut and back out on the street.

UDFA are 9th and 10th round guys....    can't expect much from them.  

I think our first four picks make the squad and the big tackle is on the practice squad.....

And I think Price, an UDFA from last year makes the 53 as our 5th cornerback....

We didn't draft one defensive player that will have a impact on the team from the start. I'm disappointed in Grigson this draft seems similar to last year. We needed a safety and a CB and we didn't draft either. Terrence Brooks was right there for us to draft and he takes a developmental RT, he will regret letting the Ravens draft him. 

I give this draft a C - and only because of Moncrief, but he'll be 4th on the depth chart. I was one of Grigson supporters primarily because of drafting T.Y but i have lost all confidence in him. I now think that Tom Telesco was the main reason for the success of the 2012 class. The Chargers have hit home runs while we haven't even had a single. Luck will have to carry this team again despite a GM who can't give him better help on defense. Russell Wilson and Kaep will have great defenses while Luck have to outscore opponents in high scoring games.

We have safety's  that are better than Brooks.I am so glad we didn't draft that guy.  Who said we need a S you? Howell is our S. I am sure Grigs will be disappointed in your grade.

We had 5 picks what did you want to do? Do you think we were the only team that realized this was a good draft everyone else was just looking to dump picks? OLINE was our biggest problem it protects what makes us a contender our QB and will open holes for our RB's control the ball control the clock help the D.

You realize that most UDFA are practice squad guys their first year.    For every Jeff Saturday there are probably one or two dozen other FA's that are cut and back out on the street.

UDFA are 9th and 10th round guys....    can't expect much from them.  

I think our first four picks make the squad and the big tackle is on the practice squad.....

And I think Price, an UDFA from last year makes the 53 as our 5th cornerback....

I don't totally disagree with that but we need practice squad guys to develop I just don't know what everyone expected from this draft we really had 2 picks. We took Mewhowrt who could start at the very least will provide depth across the line and then Montcrief I would have rather someone else but not sure you can pass on that talent.

I wanted to traded get picks players I think Grigs tried  but you got to have a partner at least we will have a full complement of picks next year. We could get lucky on a couple of the undrafted guys. I think our starters are better than they are getting credit for not a lot of Rookies at 59 were going to start on this team.

Screw him over trade him release him some stupid move like that

Why would we do that to our own guy? He isn't getting released maybe traded but if it helps the team then that's how it goes. I don't think Rogers is going anywhere but up the depth chart I wouldn't worry

Is Dion Bailey or Kenny Ladler still available? We could bring them in if undrafted. I can't believe they would go undrafted. Same thing with Marcus Roberson.

Unless I saw wrong all three of those guys went undrafted

My impression is that Grigson knows lineman, so he went out and got the lineman he wanted (an obvious weakness on this team, as well).  And he's going to trust Pagano to coach up whatever DB's we have this year, since Pagano knows DB's.  I think our offensive and defensive lines are more concerning than our CB/S situation.  Teams have won super bowls with less than superstar safeties.  But you don't make the playoffs typically, let alone win a championship if you stink in the trenches.

CC....    apologies in advance,  this response is going to be a bit long...

If you think I have a problem with every move Grigson made, then you're simply not reading all my posts.

I posted multiple times that I liked Mewhort.   I defended him several times. 

And I liked Moncrief.   Best Player Available.   And I said so.

And I said I'm OK with Newsome.

And the more I read on Jackson, I'm OK with him.

As for the big tackle,  he's a 7th round flier that the scouts like -- so OK.

My objections are specifically that nothing was done to the secondary.....    and no trades were made.     No trade down.   No trading of future pick for a current pick.   I believe Grigson has made more trades in the last 2 years than any other GM.   And the last 3 days he made zero.

I almost never bet, but if pressed I would've bet money that wouldn't have happened.    But it did.

This week Grigson spoke of wanting "win now" type of players.    Great.    I just don't think he did enough to help the team win now.    I don't see a much improved defense.    Our defense was very poorly rated last year.      We got shredded in the playoffs -- twice.     And, as I noted in a post today,  unless our defensive players from the last two drafts ('12 & '13, not this week) unless those guys really step up and improve,  our defense is not going to be much better than last year.  

If the safety opposite Landry isn't good,  we've got a problem.    If Toler can't stay healthy,  we've got a problem.  

I see lots of questions and I'm not sure of the answers.   I'm not saying the answers won't be good once the season starts.   But I was expecting some answers to our questions this week.    And we didn't get them.     So, we have to wait.....

Hope that clarifies....

No problem. Before a move was made this Colt team was a very good team. The loss of one player is not something that is going to kill this team. ( except Luck ) Two season ago this team was 2-14 and in cap space hell. Grigson went with pretty much all offense just because all the Players who were not here was on the offense. Last season he went with a little bit of both and signed a couple of free agents on the defense. I think you are over reacting in the sense of this team not being as good as you expect. There are very few teams in the history of the NFL that moves every player on the team except for 8 players in two seasons and accomplished what the Colts have done the last two years. Last season proved what kind of team this is. Every player who is still here from the first two drafts have another season under their belts and will show improvement. Just getting the injured players back will make a big difference. Being a fan is a big deal for most of us and all of us Colt fans are very passionate about our team. Fan is short for fanatic and I guess we all can get what that means. Grigsons job is to do what he thinks is best for this team and has done a fine job so far. Not every player or every move is or will be a home run. This draft started with only five picks because Grigson traded the future for the players of today. The teams in the NFL who get the most out of drafts are the ones who hoard picks not lessen the amount of picks. There is no need to name the teams I am referring to as we all know who they are. I would like to see the Colts become one of those teams who gets the absolute most of draft picks and not be behind the 8 ball every year by thinking that one player will put us over the top. Every time you trade 2 picks for one you are already in the negative. As you said Grigson has done it for two years in a row and with the unknown results of Trich we should stand pat. You cant keep robbing the future and expect it to work out. Grigson and Pagano had their board of draft picks and they may or may not have matched yours or mine but it is their job and they have more input into making those choices over me and you. They have a scout team and the knowledge of knowing other GMs and coaches where we don't. I hope I have explained myself as good as possible. So lets move on and keep the communication open and civil. But most of all- Go Colts!

Surprised we didn't do anything in the secondary. I think Howell has been pegged as the starter all along, but I figured we'd draft for depth and competition.

I was curious to see if we'd draft a DE. Redding is getting along in the years and I wondered if we would be looking to find someone later to do some learning under him.

It's a solid draft overall I think. I think we'll sign a healthy amount of secondary as UDFA but I was definitely surprised we didn't draft any.

Rookies don't often contribute much.

But the biggest jump is typically year 1 to year 2.     In Chapman's case,  year 2 to year 3.

A program doesn't stay good long if an entire draft class doesn't contribute. 

You want this team to get better?    The guys I named are being counted on to contribute.   Let's hope they do.

That makes perfect sense.

Had they all been starters, then perhaps.

Had they all been starters, then perhaps.

But we're counting on these guys to be major contributors, if not starters this year.

Chapman -- starter

Werner -- contributor, if not starter

Thornton -- starter

Holmes -- starter

Hughes -- contributor

We need these guys to come through if we're to continue as team that wins double digit games and makes the playoffs.

We need some new scouts, because they're telling grig's some seriously bad information and if he didn't have luck, then this type of draft failure would've costed him his job. The Mewhort pick is solid and he'll surprise alot of folks here, but the others?...?...? I'm beyond disappointed. Terrible draft. Should've traded back/traded future picks, but whatever.

P.S. On the bright side, some of our UDFA'S will outshine some of these guys we've drafted.

We have safety's  that are better than Brooks.I am so glad we didn't draft that guy.  Who said we need a S you? Howell is our S. I am sure Grigs will be disappointed in your grade.

We had 5 picks what did you want to do? Do you think we were the only team that realized this was a good draft everyone else was just looking to dump picks? OLINE was our biggest problem it protects what makes us a contender our QB and will open holes for our RB's control the ball control the clock help the D.

I agree, we needed help on the O-line.  Remember, starting a rookie O-lineman, drafted after the 1st round, should only be done if needed.

Grigson spent in FA to resign our O-linemen and to acquire others.  I thought any O-linemen taken in the draft would be late rounds for depth.