Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manziel or Bortles?

I think Manziel is actually the safer pick than Bortles, from what I've seen on tape.

I think Manziel will have the bigger impact earlier, but Bortles will be more consistent over a longer period of time (kinda contradicts what I wrote above, but that's just my opinion, Bortles is riskier).

Manziel will be better. He has Josh Gordon, Jordan Camron, Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Ben Tate and a great defense. So far i think the Browns had the best draft. Getting Gilbert to pair with Haden will be one of the best CB tandems in the league. The Browns have a good chance of winning the AFC South.

Bortles has Cecil shorts to throw too with no MJD and a bad o-line. The Jags will be bad again next year. They should have drafted Watkins then traded back into the late 1st to get Bridgewater or Carr.

Manziel will be better. He has Josh Gordon, Jordan Camron, Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Ben Tate and a great defense. So far i think the Browns had the best draft. Getting Gilbert to pair with Haden will be one of the best CB tandems in the league. The Browns have a good chance of winning the AFC South.

Bortles has Cecil shorts to throw too with no MJD and a bad o-line. The Jags will be bad again next year. They should have drafted Watkins then traded back into the late 1st to get Bridgewater or Carr.

You mean AFC North?

Well, if Manziel is going to be running around too much with Suggs and Harrison types chasing him in the AFC North, he'd die a quick QB death. If I remember right, Mike Pettine, HC of the Browns said he prefers not to play rookie QBs in year 1. So, it may be the 2nd year of Manziel before he starts, IMO. Plus, the Browns have the Bills' 1st round pick from next year too.

But overall, I agree, Bortles is going to a worse situation than Manziel is.

Yeah, i meant AFC North. Suggs and Harrison are getting up there in age, not the players they use to be. The Steerlers has no pass rush and the Bengals loss Johnson and both coordinators. The Browns were the perfect team for Manziel. They could possibly add Marqise Lee in the 2nd as well. This will be one of the teams that will see in the playoffs consistently in the future.

You mean AFC North?

Well, if Manziel is going to be running around too much with Suggs and Harrison types chasing him in the AFC North, he'd die a quick QB death. If I remember right, Mike Pettine, HC of the Browns said he prefers not to play rookie QBs in year 1. So, it may be the 2nd year of Manziel before he starts, IMO. Plus, the Browns have the Bills' 1st round pick from next year too.

But overall, I agree, Bortles is going to a worse situation than Manziel is.

I feel bad for Manziel going to Cleveland. That org just has no stability in the FO. Clueless owner. The team is actually in decent shape but not sure he will beat out Hoyer to start.

One of the most talented rosters in the league though.

Going to be very, very tough for Manziel in that division...

He tends to improvise and make up scrambling plays as he goes along..

That will not work more than once against Baltimore, Pittsburgh and Cincinnatti...

If they start him immediately, that's a mistake.....He needs to watch for a season

Manziel is a risky prospect,

But I am not sold on on Bortles as a starter at all. I had him as my joint #3 QB with Jimmy Garropollo.

Ideally I'd take neither.

If I'm looking for a project I'd probably take Garropollo in the late 2nd

Manziel is Manziel's own worst enemy. As long as a coach AND he realize that and be smart about it, the Browns can turn it around.

One more WR and some road grading help on O-line for running the ball will definitely make the Browns balanced and dangerous. The new GM does seem like he wants to keep Mike Pettine around for a few years. If Manziel has 3 or 4 years under the same system, the Browns will make noise at some point. Playing outdoors would mean the Browns' O needing to stay balanced and not let Manziel wing it more than 20-25 times a game, unless extremely necessary.

Look at Seattle, how many close games did they keep losing the 2 years prior to not having Russell Wilson to finish around 7-9 and 8-8 etc. but once they got Russell Wilson, they won a few close games and that is the difference between a middle of the road team and a playoff team with some kind of chance.

Granted, the talent on the Seahawks without a QB made them a middle of the road team while the Browns are a bottom fifth of the league team.