Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bucky Brooks has the Colts picking Jimmie Ward and Jaylen Watkins

59. Indianapolis Colts: Jimmie Ward, SS, Northern Illinois 
Ward is a gifted ball hawk with terrific instincts and awareness. He lacks ideal size, but he is a nice fit as a center fielder in the Colts' scheme.

90. Indianapolis Colts: Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida 
Watkins' versatility and athleticism could allow him to carve out a role as a sub-package defender in Year 1

Thoughts on drafting two DBs with our first two picks?

That's a pipe dream. No way ward is there at 59, but if he is, then there's a high possibility we draft him. I'm still in favor of taking gabe jackson, even if jimmie's still available. I would be very tempted (if that is indeed how things unfold) to trade next year's first for this year's second, just to select both jackson and ward. I think both of these players have first round value anyway. I would go crazy, if we pulled that off!

That's a pipe dream. No way ward is there at 59, but if he is, then there's a high possibility we draft him. I'm still in favor of taking gabe jackson, even if jimmie's still available. I would be very tempted (if that is indeed how things unfold) to trade next year's first for this year's second, just to select both jackson and ward. I think both of these players have first round value anyway. I would go crazy, if we pulled that off!

Why are you so high on Gabe Jackson? Id rather have Trai Turner and he could be had in the 4th or 5th.

59. Indianapolis Colts: Jimmie Ward, SS, Northern Illinois 

Ward is a gifted ball hawk with terrific instincts and awareness. He lacks ideal size, but he is a nice fit as a center fielder in the Colts' scheme.

90. Indianapolis Colts: Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida 

Watkins' versatility and athleticism could allow him to carve out a role as a sub-package defender in Year 1

Thoughts on drafting two DBs with our first two picks?

I would not cry on this draft...

I do not see us going secondary back to back however.  Love Jimmie Ward, however.

Why are you so high on Gabe Jackson? Id rather have Trai Turner and he could be had in the 4th or 5th.

Good question! I'll explain, so bare with me. I mocked us (i know the line)  taking larry warford in the third last year (even trading up to get him) and we passed. Gabe is very similiar to him and warford's a pro-bowl talent. We can't make this mistake again,...just can't. We need talent at guard (thomas is injury prone, along with louis and thornton is a huge question mark) . So, whom do we got that we can depend on??? NO BODY...

But, i agree, if jimmie ward's there...he's our guy at 59.

I think this is the scenario that would have to happen for us to land Ward:

1st round:

-Ravens take haha Clinton-Dix

-Packers take C.J. Mosely or BA defensive player

-Cowboys take Kony Ealy or a DT like Aaron Donald

2nd  Round

-Packers take a WR

-Cowboys take another defensive lineman

-Deone Buccannon goes in the middle of the round

If that happens, then I think Ward ends up free falling  right into our laps. Buccannon will probably go before him because of how underrated he is, his combine performance, and how much he's been rising. Also, ideally the further back Calvin Pryor gets drafted, the better. I've also said in another topic I see a run on CB's and WR's in the 1st 2 rounds, so teams should be reaching there and pushing better prospects down.

Good question! I'll explain, so bare with me. I mocked us (i know the line)  taking larry warford in the third last year (even trading up to get him) and we passed. Gabe is very similiar to him and warford's a pro-bowl talent. We can't make this mistake again,...just can't. We need talent at guard (thomas is injury prone, along with louis and thornton is a huge question mark) . So, whom do we got that we can depend on??? NO BODY...

But, i agree, if jimmie ward's there...he's our guy at 59.

Yeah I just think safety is a much bigger need than OG, plus I thought Warford had better athleticism for a guy his size over Jackson.

Yeah I just think safety is a much bigger need than OG, plus I thought Warford had better athleticism for a guy his size over Jackson.

If we took ward over jackson (assuming both were still available) , i  wouldn't cry...that's for sure. I think ward's a great safety, but i believe jackson's an elite guard. If we get either guy...it's a SUCCESS MY FRIEND!

If we took ward over jackson (assuming both were still available) , i  wouldn't cry...that's for sure. I think ward's a great safety, but i believe jackson's an elite guard. If we get either guy...it's a SUCCESS MY FRIEND!

Ward could be had in the 3rd round. I'm sure both he and Trai Turner will be there. But like I said, if we land Ward or Bucannon, I don't really care who we pick after that.

I will say that what you're saying about why you're so high on Jackson is very dangerous thinking though. The worst thing a G.M. can do is assume that because he missed out on a really good prospect one draft or had a player that he coached awhile back, that he can get a clone of him and make up for the miss. Saying we missed out on Warford, so we can get Jackson who is a lot like Warford isn't a great strategy and I'm sure it has burned a lot of people in the past (Ditka and Ricky Williams).

Every prospect has a pro they compare too, but it doesn't mean you should draft them because of it. It's the reason that if Blake Bortles is picked high, he could bust early because people think he's a combination of Andrew Luck and Ben Rothlisberger. But he's neither. Like most people have said, Luck was the can't miss future HoF QB of this decade, there probably won't be another for awhile. I think Jackson is good though, but not good enough to be taken that high just because he fills a need and is Warford-esque.

Ward could be had in the 3rd round. I'm sure both he and Trai Turner will be there. But like I said, if we land Ward or Bucannon, I don't really care who we pick after that.

I will say that what you're saying about why you're so high on Jackson is very dangerous thinking though. The worst thing a G.M. can do is assume that because he missed out on a really good prospect one draft or had a player that he coached awhile back, that he can get a clone of him and make up for the miss. Saying we missed out on Warford, so we can get Jackson who is a lot like Warford isn't a great strategy and I'm sure it has burned a lot of people in the past (Ditka and Ricky Williams).

Every prospect has a pro they compare too, but it doesn't mean you should draft them because of it. It's the reason that if Blake Bortles is picked high, he could bust early because people think he's a combination of Andrew Luck and Ben Rothlisberger. But he's neither. Like most people have said, Luck was the can't miss future HoF QB of this decade, there probably won't be another for awhile. I think Jackson is good though, but not good enough to be taken that high just because he fills a need and is Warford-esque.

Even if gabe's very good, i would take that at 59 over any other position. We're in the WIN NOW MODE, with andrew's HUGE contract coming up. Just my opinion though...

Is Watkins more of a FS or corner? I was under the impression that he played safety at Florida last year. I would be more inclined to keep him at safety.

I don't see Ward being available at pick 59. I have seen more mocks with him going in the first round.

I still really like Pierre Desir if we decide to go corner.

What?!?     There are more mocks with Ward in the 1st round.   I haven't seen one with him in the 3rd and if I did,  I wouldn't take it seriously.      Where are you getting this stuff?

And even if we passed on Ward at 59 and he fell to the 3rd,  do you expect him to fall all the way to 90?!?

What?!?     There are more mocks with Ward in the 1st round.   I haven't seen one with him in the 3rd and if I did,  I wouldn't take it seriously.      Where are you getting this stuff?

And even if we passed on Ward at 59 and he fell to the 3rd,  do you expect him to fall all the way to 90?!?

That was supposed to be Jackson there :facepalm:

My bad. Jackson, GABE JACKSON could be available in the 3rd. I've got to start proof reading my posts

That was supposed to be Jackson there :facepalm:

My bad. Jackson, GABE JACKSON could be available in the 3rd. I've got to start proof reading my posts

Hey,  no worries.

We've all had brain cramps like that -- me especially!!

Especially this time of year.....   way, way too many names to keep in anyone's head to keep straight!

By the way......   do I think it's possible for Gabe Jackson to fall to the top of the 3rd round?    Yes.

But do I think it's possible he falls all the way to our pick at 90?    No.   Not even close.

So, we'd have to go get him and we don't have the ammunition to do that....

We have to be especially careful this year about what we do......