Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmie Ward interest

Ward, along with Bucannon have been two safeties we've shown the most interest in. If Ward falls into the 2nd round, should we trade up to get him? If we gave up our 3rd and next year's 3rd to move into the early 2nd to get him, I think I'd be fine with that.

Ward to me is the best cover safety in this draft, and would give us our poor man's Earl Thomas. He would be a big improvement from Bethea and would positively impact the rest of our DBs. Then with our other 2nd, we could always still trade down and get an early 3rd and 4th back.

It could be done but personally I would rather hang on to our third rounder this year I feel like there'll be a good player for us there. If that value chart is correct, our 2nd and 3rd this year would get us up to the Lions pick at 45. Although I would then be tempted to mortgage a #2 next year for an early 3rd this year.

Ward, along with Bucannon have been two safeties we've shown the most interest in. If Ward falls into the 2nd round, should we trade up to get him? If we gave up our 3rd and next year's 3rd to move into the early 2nd to get him, I think I'd be fine with that.

Ward to me is the best cover safety in this draft, and would give us our poor man's Earl Thomas. He would be a big improvement from Bethea and would positively impact the rest of our DBs. Then with our other 2nd, we could always still trade down and get an early 3rd and 4th back.

I agree with your assessment about Ward.  My problem is that I don't know what the Colts plans are for Landry, Howell, and a new safety (which I think they'll acquire in the draft).

A recent article in the Star about Howell suggested that he would replace Bethea as SS and work along side FS Landry. 

If the Colts are truly looking at a SS and leaving Landry at FS, I would hope they would look for a player that is bigger than Ward, and Howell and Bethea for that matter.  If they are intrigued by Ward's coverage skills, I hope that means they are looking at him for FS and moving Landry to SS.

I don't like the idea of drafting Ward to play SS and leaving Landry at FS.

I would not trade up for Ward personally. I would not trade up in this draft period. It will cost too much and the draft is deep the smart thing in my mind is move down get a couple of extra picks in the top 175. I really hope we are done trading our picks away. If we could get this by dropping down a few spots in the 2nd that is what I would do.

fall back Trai Turner OG LSU

our 90  Caraun Reid NG./DT Princeton provides pass rush from inside allows us to keep Werner and others to keep improving

extra pick  Aikens CB others will be there take your pick I like Aikens size and speed personally

166           Southward S Wisconsin he is fast and moving faster up the board as draft gets closer. Really like him.

We will see what Grigs has planned. If we could get these players or similar I would be really happy.

I think Reid is going to be a steal for someone and would really help us. If I thought I could move back at 90 and get another pick and Reid I'd do that too.  If you can get in the face of the QB I don't care who it is it creates problems.

No to trading up.

Did you ever consider we just use the picks we have?  It seems like every scenario/mock that you do has us trading up or down and it never just a few picks its usually for some unrealistic deal.  I am not saying a trade won't happen, but it seems you are convinced a wild trade must happen.

If Jouyner is gone and Ward is still there and there are some saftey hungry teams in front of us...then maybe i'd consider, but seeing we are loosing picks left and right on risky players, i'd just stay where I was and draft the BPA.

Hopefully somebody out there think Bucannon (who has terrible tape) is a better prospect because of his speed and he and dix are the first 2 safeties, I mean, really, i think there are so many teams set at safety already, that all those guys might fall, there could be a good chance Ward falls to us.

I think Ward is almost as good of a player as Jouyner, but his size makes him a better bet. My Heart says Lamarcus but my Head says Ward.

The only probable trade I can see is to use the 3rd round pick to move up in the 2nd and then trade a future 3rd for a 4th this year. So basically we'd have an early second, a middle 4th, a 5th, 6th, and 7th. The only other trade up option would involve giving up a future 1st or 2nd, which I think is out of the question at this point.

One of the better safties in the draft is johnathan dowling (western kentucky) and he'll be there in the 6th or 7th.

He isn't better than Ward or Buccannon though. He's fine as a late round prospect even though he's a twig.

Here are the safety hungry teams I think are in front of us and could draft one in round 1 or 2:

-Packers

-Ravens (are moving Elam to SS)

-Cowboys

I think two of the teams should take Pryor and Dix in the first, leaving Jimmie Ward and Deone Bucannon in the 2nd. Only issue is although I listed 3 teams, Safety is a need on damn near every team. It seems to be an undervalued position. But that means that Ward could really go anywhere.

No it's not. We'd be lucky if a team accepts that. We definitely won't get a high two for two late 3s. Even a mid and late three.

Good thing you're not our GM then. You'd have to be crazy to give up a 2 and two 3's just to move up 15 spots.

Everyone is predicting what ll happen in the draft but believe me we all do not really know whats going to unfold,,,,,,,Of  coarse some team will move and trade to move up and shift the whole placement of drafties sooooooooooooThat may work to the Colts advantage or disadvantage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But none of us sure as hell do not know what is actually going to happen,,,All it takes is a run on drafties at a certain position and /or a trade or two

One of the better safties in the draft is johnathan dowling (western kentucky) and he'll be there in the 6th or 7th.

he is serious started at Florida run in with Lord Meyer ends up at WKU he is responsible for 18 turnovers in 2 years read find some tape he could be one the steal of the draft very easily or he could get in trouble end up kicked off the team but for a 6th take the chance S isn't quite the huge hole everyone thinks it is Howell will surprise. We need depth and potential up grade there he is

Dowling link they have him going in the 5th probably more realistic players seem to go low around here. If we know about them so does everyone else.

I'd roll the dice

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/2/6/5386372/the-mid-late-round-steals-jonathan-dowling-fs-western-kentucky

I would still roll the dice on him in the 5th, but no higher than that. He has all the tools to become an instant impact player and our organization has a good history of turning trouble makers into contributors (cough...rogers) . It could go either way with a talent like dowling. But yes, i would take him in the 5th or 6th...absolutely.

I would still roll the dice on him in the 5th, but no higher than that. He has all the tools to become an instant impact player and our organization has a good history of turning trouble makers into contributors (cough...rogers) . It could go either way with a talent like dowling. But yes, i would take him in the 5th or 6th...absolutely.

I am with you 18 turnovers in 2 years is enough to sell me. He is a legit athlete he was recruited to Florida during Meyer's tenure  

I want Ward but will stop you short in the statement of a BIG IMPROVEMENT over Bethea, Bethea was an all pro & will be missed OK cover guy great tackler tough & Healthy. I Keep hearing all this crap about Bethea & it *'s me off! I played division 1 football as a safety an I tell you all Bethea was GOOD! Not every play that appeared to be a break down is always your fault.The 49ers a great team with a great defense paid Bethea, WHY because he is GOOD!!!

I am with you 18 turnovers in 2 years is enough to sell me. He is a legit athlete he was recruited to Florida during Meyer's tenure  

I will get flamed for saying this, but i would take dowling over ward or any other safety in this draft. I know it's a bold statement. NUMBERS DON'T LIE. As you've previously stated, he was good for a turnover a game. That's impressive. He's a little too thin,but i don't think its that big of a deal though.

I will get flamed for saying this, but i would take dowling over ward or any other safety in this draft. I know it's a bold statement. NUMBERS DON'T LIE. As you've previously stated, he was good for a turnover a game. That's impressive. He's a little too thin,but i don't think its that big of a deal though.

I won't flame you I was going to compare him to Byrd but thought better of it

You won't get flamed from me. I think Ward is the best safety in this draft. The other two guys (Ward and Clinton-Dix) are overrated. 

You won't get flamed from me. I think Ward is the best safety in this draft. The other two guys (Ward and Clinton-Dix) are overrated. 

Have you watched tape of dowling? The guy can flatout play. he makes plays all over the field (making picks/forcing fumbles/blocking kicks). I encourage you to check him out, if you haven't already. But there's a reason he's projected to go late in the draft (another rogers).

Have you watched tape of dowling? The guy can flatout play. he makes plays all over the field (making picks/forcing fumbles/blocking kicks). I encourage you to check him out, if you haven't already. But there's a reason he's projected to go late in the draft (another rogers).

Haven't watched him. I'll check him out tomorrow.

Haven't watched him. I'll check him out tomorrow.

He's alittle thin though (6-3/190). I think we could use him in multiple formations including both safety spots and nickle/dime CB packages as well. I could even see him playing a role similiar to our own butler or seattle's thurmond. He's a great value pick in the 5th or 6th.

Dowling should not be a day 1 starter in my opinion, He takes some inaccurate angles to to the ball and is an inconsistent tackler, Him being thin does not worry me though, He has the frame to add bulk. He certainly has good range but is to often a tick late reacting to plays in front of him to me