Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Superman's Draft Mocks

One with a trade, and one without.

I'm curious which one people prefer, and overall thoughts about both. (And by the way, this is what would do, not what I think Grigson will do. But I'll give my justifications below. I'm also not certifying under oath that these players will be available at these picks. But just assume that I'm at least in range. We all know that the draft breaks how the draft breaks.)

Mock #1 (no trade)

2/27 (59) Jeremiah Attaochu, Edge Defender -- One of the most dynamic pass rushers in the draft, someone who wears the "tweener" label well. He has the athleticism to play in space, but not a lot of experience doing so. A Rush backer prospect for the Colts, not so much a Sam; he would benefit from working alongside and behind Robert Mathis. Drafting him would add a much needed pass rush threat, and allow the coaches to stick Werner at Sam, where he showed improvement last year. The two would eventually form a nice tandem opposite each other.

3/26 (90) Dion Bailey, Safety -- A versatile defender who can cover tight ends and the slot, and willingly supports the run. He played a hybrid strongside linebacker/safety position in college, against a lot of pass heavy offenses. He's physical enough to be a presence in the box, though he's not necessarily a downhill thumper. Has range all over the field and has a knack for making big plays, but his deep coverage and his angles are sometimes troubling. He would compete at SS, but could also be a designated nickel backer. Makes our secondary multiple.

5/26 (166) Russell Bodine, Guard/Center -- Interior blocker with good balance, leverage and power, and average athleticism. Played center in college, but can play guard as well. No consensus online about his draft projection, though all the reports read similarly. He needs work on finishing blocks and blocking on the move, probably due to his shorter arms. Some have him as a 3rd/4th prospect, others as a 6th/7th; this is right in the middle. Would add young depth at all three interior spots, filling the hole left by Costa's retirement.

6/27 (203) Dontae Johnson, Corner/Safety -- Another versatile defensive back, Johnson projects more to FS eventually, because he's better facing the QB. But he's played inside and out at corner, and would add depth for CB4/5 on our roster. Has range and very good size, he's physical and tackles well. This is another guy with no online consensus, but it wouldn't surprise me to see his size coveted by a team a couple rounds sooner than this. Backup pick would be Walt Aikens, who can also play physically and has the range to play safety, but struggles tracking the ball down the field from corner. 

7/17 (223) Cody Hoffman, Receiver -- Average athleticism, if that, which makes his size less of an asset in the red zone. But he's technically proficient, which I have a soft spot for. And even though he doesn't separate so well, he uses his body to wall defenders off, and his arm length to snag passes. Not explosive, but uses his feet well to run consistent routes, and has long strides. Great production, despite playing with no-name QBs. Not a lot of upside, but polished enough to play right now.

I think this mock addresses our biggest needs with a BPA approach, and gives us some young depth. 

Mock #2 (trade #59 to NYG for 3/10 and 4/13)

3/10 (74) Terrence Brooks, Safety -- Has the range to play FS, but fits our defense as the slot/TE cover man. Plays man coverage well, on smaller receivers and bigger bodies. Positions his body well in the run game, although he's not quite physical enough to be imposing. Questionable hands, but makes plays on the ball. I see him as a more athletic Antoine Bethea, and I project him to that role. (Some here have him in the top 50, and I see him moving up some boards, but both NFL.com and NFLdraftscout.com still have him listed as a 70-100 prospect.) Can compete for a starting job right away, and can contribute on special teams coverage.

3/26 (90) Marcus Smith, Edge Defender -- Super productive edge rusher, great athleticism, good size and speed. Power moves as a rusher when he catches the blocker in poor technique. Has the movement and awareness to cover in short areas. Can play the run well, but not disciplined setting the edge, which is teachable. Not a pure pass rusher who will beat good blockers consistently, but has a nice step and times blitzes well. Sam prospect, ideally, but can play weakside also. Coupled with Werner, can provide more pass rush and versatility.

4/13 (113) Antone Exum, Corner/Safety -- Good size, good athleticism, physical cover man. Has the physical ability to cover inside and out, including the fluidity to turn and run, even though his top end isn't elite. Doesn't turn to find the ball well when running with a receiver, which projects him better to safety. Tackles well, and can support the run well. Had a knee injury and an ankle injury, and didn't play much in 2013, but had five picks in 2012. Versatility makes him a multiple reserve and gives the secondary an extra dimension.

5/26 (166) John Urschel, Guard/Center -- Interior blocker with good balance and good feet. Can play any interior position, but will probably be a center in the NFL due to his squatty frame and short arm play. Mirrors his man well and is quick off the snap, but doesn't have great power to totally control himself. Very smart guy, to say the least, and spent the last two seasons starting in Bill O'Brien's pro style offense. Adds depth. I'd honestly prefer Bodine, but wanted to add a different option.

6/27 (203) Khairi Fortt, Linebacker -- This guy has typical ILB traits -- range, size, coverage ability, awareness -- and is athletic and explosive enough to blow past blockers in blitz situations. His physical traits make him an intriguing hybrid prospect -- like Josh McNary or Mario Harvey, but more athletic and explosive. Can miss some tackles because of poor technique. Can play nickel situations in coverage against tight ends and backs, but would be outmatched against slot receivers. Would be an immediate special teams contributor. Injury history is a red flag.

7/17 (232) Andrew Norwell, Guard/Tackle -- Big, strong blocker, can move defensive linemen off the ball at the snap. Not great agility, kind of clumsy getting to the second level. Loves to run block, and finishes plays whenever he can. Moved inside from left tackle to play left guard, so has versatility and the size to play outside, but probably doesn't belong at either tackle spot in the NFL. Coaching will help him play better in space, and film study and experience will help him with awareness. Provides depth at both guard spots and right tackle, if necessary.

This mock gives us at potential starter at safety and more depth, but assumes that we're not thrilled with the board when #59 comes up. Could still go BPA, but this gives us an extra pick and allows us to gamble a little later in the draft. 

Overall I like both alot, Not sure I would go with Exum at 4/13 though in your second mock....I will have to watch more of him though like you say he doesn't find the ball well but does have good but not great speed .......At that spot I'd be very tempted to pull the trigger on Aaron Colvin if we are talking Corners, Maybe Ross Cockrell or Walt Aikens...Or maybe Rashaad Reynolds, Love the Khairi Fortt pick, I'd go with a Scat Back at 6/27 in your first mock....Jerick Mckinnon or several others and 7/17 in your 2nd mock

I really like Jeremiah Attaochu, and I really do not like Dion Bailey. I actually prefer Antone Exum. I think Exum can develop into one heck of a free safety.

I am concerned that we would need to trade up for Attaochu. We must enhance our pass rush, in my opinion, to really take the next step and compete for the AFC. I am much more concerned about our pass rush than I am about a free safety. I actually like Delano Howell. I really feel he can be a solid safety for us.

Watching tape on Exum and he seems like a good fit. I read that he actually converted from a safety to a CB while at VT. So he probably is a natural safety. I'd be okay with him in the 4th and I like him a lot better than Dion Bailey, who would've benefitted from another year at school to increase his experience at the safety position.

Also I don't see the point of drafting Attaochu if he's a rush OLB, since we know that Werner is the rush OLB of the future according to Grigson. And also I think the Colts like Preston Brown at ILB, and I do too. Speedy and instinctive. Mayock has him as his 5th ranked ILB. We've also worked him out.

Watching tape on Exum and he seems like a good fit. I read that he actually converted from a safety to a CB while at VT. So he probably is a natural safety. I'd be okay with him in the 4th and I like him a lot better than Dion Bailey, who would've benefitted from another year at school to increase his experience at the safety position.

Also I don't see the point of drafting Attaochu if he's a rush OLB, since we know that Werner is the rush OLB of the future according to Grigson. And also I think the Colts like Preston Brown at ILB, and I do too. Speedy and instinctive. Mayock has him as his 5th ranked ILB. We've also worked him out.

I think Werner can play either spot, and probably projects better at Sam. He's a decent rusher, but Attaochu is better. So drafting Attaochu moves Werner primarily to Sam, and makes Walden expendable in 2015. It also presumably gives us Mathis' replacement in 2016.

I also like Preston Brown, but my own personal thinking favors a more dynamic player like Fortt, and I think he provides more draft value.

I don't think Attaochu, Brooks, or Smith are going to be where you mock them. I think the odds are higher that all three of them are gone by 59.

I know you don't, but half the Internet disagrees. The other half projects them all in the top 50, like you say. My thing is that there are too many good players with top 50 projections, some of them have to fall. Instead of assuming it won't be the guys I like, I've assumed it will be. And I don't think that's a far-fetched assumption.

Is that mostly because of Attaochu?

Pretty much but I also answered very quickly...I"m at work. Just took a closer look at the late round picks and actually I like the 2nd scenario better.  I think the 2nd scenario gives us better value all around...however I don't think Smith will still be there at 90.  

My personal preference would be to take scenario #2 but with Attaochu/Smith at 56 and Bailey at 90.

I prefer the second.  But if I could tweak two picks.  (1) Agree with you on the Bodine remark, as I think the Urschel pick is a bit of a reach, plus I like Bodine's football IQ.  Switch Urschel for Bodine, and perhaps go with Cody Hoffman (at that late of a pick, I'd prefer L'Damian Washington to Hoffman, but both pass muster for me at the 7th) instead of Norwell, and I'm set. 

I trade our 2015 2nd round pick for a 3th this year, trade our 2nd for an early 3th and 4th this year and trade our 3th this year for an early 4th and 5th this year.

3th: Bashaud Breeland, CB

3th: Marcus Smith, OLB

4th: Jordan Zumwalt, ILB

4th: Brock Vereen, FS

5th: Dontae Johnson, CB/S

5th: Russel Bodine, OG/C

6th: Vinnie Sunseri, SS

7th: Ben Gardner, DE

I very much like both versions....

But I'm in the camp that fears the guys you love (and I love them too) won't be available where you've mocked them to go.

But up and down your lists,  I like the players....    now,  from your finger tips to Radio City Music Hall,  please let it happen!

I trade our 2015 2nd round pick for a 3th this year, trade our 2nd for an early 3th and 4th this year and trade our 3th this year for an early 4th and 5th this year.

3th: Bashaud Breeland, CB

3th: Marcus Smith, OLB

4th: Jordan Zumwalt, ILB

4th: Brock Vereen, FS

5th: Dontae Johnson, CB/S

5th: Russel Bodine, OG/C

6th: Vinnie Sunseri, SS

7th: Ben Gardner, DE

Shout out to the OP but I'd love something like this for the sheer amount of bodies we'd be bringing in.

Shout out to the OP but I'd love something like this for the sheer amount of bodies we'd be bringing in.

More bodies doesn't equal quanlity of players.  Once you get to the 3rd round, solid contributors (not to be confused with starters) are much harder to come by and those are primarily found in the early 3rd. I'm okay with trading back, btu I'm very mcuh against trading next year's second for this year's third and so on and so forth, unless there's a guy there who for some reason is a 2nd round talent and dropped to the 4th or something.  But that's on a draft day basis.  Very hard to predict that sort of thing, let alone doing it twice.

More bodies doesn't equal quanlity of players.  Once you get to the 3rd round, solid contributors (not to be confused with starters) are much harder to come by and those are primarily found in the early 3rd. I'm okay with trading back, btu I'm very mcuh against trading next year's second for this year's third and so on and so forth, unless there's a guy there who for some reason is a 2nd round talent and dropped to the 4th or something.  But that's on a draft day basis.  Very hard to predict that sort of thing, let alone doing it twice.

Yup. Quality over quantity. We could trade away our 6th and 7th, for an extra pick somewhere and only draft 4 players. But if those 4 players all come in an contribute immediately and show promise, then it's a good draft.

Both are good. I like the first one more simply because I think we gain more talent. Superman, what are your thoughts on Jeff Matthews from Cornell as a 7th round pick or an undrafted rookie signing?

I'm not very familiar with him. I haven't been interested in watching any QBs. Is there something about him that you think is noteworthy? I couldn't see us using a pick on a QB, but UDFA is another story.

I prefer the second. But if I could tweak two picks. (1) Agree with you on the Bodine remark, as I think the Urschel pick is a bit of a reach, plus I like Bodine's football IQ. Switch Urschel for Bodine, and perhaps go with Cody Hoffman (at that late of a pick, I'd prefer L'Damian Washington to Hoffman, but both pass muster for me at the 7th) instead of Norwell, and I'm set.

Norwell might be more of a UDFA option. I just wanted to have two different mocks, but I could honestly copy the last three picks and be fine.

I really like Jeremiah Attaochu, and I really do not like Dion Bailey. I actually prefer Antone Exum. I think Exum can develop into one heck of a free safety.

I am concerned that we would need to trade up for Attaochu. We must enhance our pass rush, in my opinion, to really take the next step and compete for the AFC. I am much more concerned about our pass rush than I am about a free safety. I actually like Delano Howell. I really feel he can be a solid safety for us.

What don't you like about Bailey?

I'm not very familiar with him. I haven't been interested in watching any QBs. Is there something about him that you think is noteworthy? I couldn't see us using a pick on a QB, but UDFA is another story.

Simply looking at his scouting profile on NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jeff-mathews?id=2543797) and CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1760436/jeff-mathews), he seems like a guy who is an ideal fit for our system.  His intangibles are incredible and his intelligence is very high, so he could help out in QB meetings and watching film.  I really like his accuracy, too.  His only real flaw is his poor athleticism, but I don't think that's a big deal (and you could even make the case that his athleticism isn't that bad).  With that said, he didn't face elite competition.  He seems like a good leader, too.  Personally, I would feel more comfortable with him as our backup over Harnish.

Simply looking at his scouting profile on NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jeff-mathews?id=2543797) and CBS Sports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1760436/jeff-mathews), he seems like a guy who is an ideal fit for our system.  His intangibles are incredible and his intelligence is very high, so he could help out in QB meetings and watching film.  I really like his accuracy, too.  His only real flaw is his poor athleticism, but I don't think that's a big deal (and you could even make the case that his athleticism isn't that bad).  With that said, he didn't face elite competition.  He seems like a good leader, too.  Personally, I would feel more comfortable with him as our backup over Harnish.

Yeah, Harnish definitely isn't a lock to continue with us this season. I wouldn't mind adding some competition at QB3 for this season. 

and for good reason :)

Superman I am curious though....gun to your head, would you take Attaochu or Van Noy?

I don't know. I think they're equal as prospects, but different positions. Both can be long time starters in the NFL, with potential Pro Bowl capability. Attaochu is the superior pass rusher and is more physical, but Van Noy is better in coverage and more versatile. So it comes down to need, and given the needs of our team right now, I think I'd go with Attaochu. But it's kind of a toss-up, to me.

Both are good but i like the 2nd one a lot more. I think the combination of Brooks and Smith is better then Attoachu and Bailey. Attoachu is a little better then Smith because of his upside but not by much, Brooks over Bailey is what made me choose the 2nd one. I think Brooks is much better then Bailey. The only thing i would change is Exum because of the injury history for Walt Aikens CB.

I can see Superman that you spend considerable time creating that elaborate, well written post. However, like I always say SW1 sucks at draft & cap space stuff. In short, I know what my weaknesses are & what to stay away from.

I prefer mock #1 based on your own words "I think this mock addresses our biggest needs with a BPA approach, and gives us some young depth." Don't ask me justify my position beyond that because I really can't.  

Both are good but i like the 2nd one a lot more. I think the combination of Brooks and Smith is better then Attoachu and Bailey. Attoachu is a little better then Smith because of his upside but not by much, Brooks over Bailey is what made me choose the 2nd one. I think Brooks is much better then Bailey. The only thing i would change is Exum because of the injury history for Walt Aikens CB.

Fair points, but I think Exum is much better and has more potential then Aikens. If we're going to take Exum out, then I'd go with a completely different player. Aikens in the 6th or 7th is cool, not the 4th. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind Dontae Johnson in the 4th, even though I have him mocked in the 6th.

You're new here, I would refrain from making such strong comments. Especially considering your own mock isn't anything special.

My mock is solid. However, i  personally would pick gabe jackson, if he's there at 59. Depends on whom falls. I think overall it's doable and realistic.

Aikens is projected to go in late 3rd early 4th, had a good performance at the senior bowl.

Fair points, but I think Exum is much better and has more potential then Aikens. If we're going to take Exum out, then I'd go with a completely different player. Aikens in the 6th or 7th is cool, not the 4th. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind Dontae Johnson in the 4th, even though I have him mocked in the 6th.

Both are equally terrible. I'll pass fly boy.

I apologize to SUPERMAN, if his feeling's were hurt. I still think both of his draft's are terrible though. My advice...dig deeper, my friend.

My feelings aren't hurt. Everyone doesn't have to like my mocks. I don't like yours either. But I'm not going to be a jerk about it.

Aikens is projected to go in late 3rd early 4th, had a good performance at the senior bowl.

I see Aikens as a kind of soft, cover 2 corner. Decent athlete, good size, but not a good man corner prospect, and not physical enough to move to safety. I'd take him in later rounds, but not 3rd or 4th. IMO.