Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Think we can get Lamarcus Joyner & Marcus Martin in 2nd & 3rd?

Cant say I want Martin, He is not a mauler nor can he turn his hips with any consistency to turn his man to open up a hole in the run game, Love Joyners scrappiness....Just wish he would hit a growth spurt between now and the draft...wont happen...I think he fits best as a nickel corner

Martin is a R2 center.

And even if he turns out to go in the third,  he's not going to fall 26 spots in the 3rd to reach our pick which is 90.

So,  we may be able to get Joyner at 59.    I'm not sure about Martin.

But I don't think either will be there at 90.      So, it's one or maybe the other,  but not both...........

We are not going to draft C two years in a row. I think we can say that with some certainty Grigs has talked about how many UDFA end up at the spot. I think our lack of interest of a real threat to Holmes is a pretty good indication who they want to win that job,

I would like Joyner at 59 unless  someone better falls. It is just hard to say who you'd like at 59 until you see who you have to choose from. If Bucannon falls I would be on him or Hageman, Tuitt on DL Attaochu or Von Noy or Critchon the list goes on and on. We will know soon.

I just hope it's on D I could see Grigs going Bitonio if he is there though.

Yeah, but we are lacking depth at O-line, We may need Holmes to move to guard or a guy like Martin throughout the year. Holmes can definitely play guard. I don't know about Martin at Guard, but we definitely need more depth. I don't like Bucannon at all, but I'd take a risk on Brooks, but not in the second.

That's why I'd love Jouyner and Martin to start off our draft.

There are some underrated centers looking to go late, like the aforementioned Kerin from Toledo and Matthew Paradis from Boise State, who is one of my favorite prospects. Not world beater prospects, but definitely with some upside. I think the team can get by without having to nab a center early, though I certainly understand if they think they need one.

Both will probably be there at our pick in the 2nd but neither will make it at the end of the 3rd round. I would pass on both guys, Jorner is too short and Martin struggles against smaller, faster DT's. I think Terrence Brooks or Deone Bucannon will be available for us to get in the 2nd round if we do decide to go safety. If we decide to go o-line then David Yankey and Gabe Jackson will be the players we target.  

We are not going to draft C two years in a row. I think we can say that with some certainty Grigs has talked about how many UDFA end up at the spot. I think our lack of interest of a real threat to Holmes is a pretty good indication who they want to win that job,

I would like Joyner at 59 unless  someone better falls. It is just hard to say who you'd like at 59 until you see who you have to choose from. If Bucannon falls I would be on him or Hageman, Tuitt on DL Attaochu or Von Noy or Critchon the list goes on and on. We will know soon.

I just hope it's on D I could see Grigs going Bitonio if he is there though.

So Pagano went to check out Martin personally because...

I would agree they wouldn`t take Martin unless they thought he Graded as a very worthy starting Center with the ability to also play good at guard.

Grigson and his staff slapped around all of this boards, please sign somebody Holmes doubters/haters because they have every reason to believe in Holmes. IMO.

And IMO they looked at Martin because they also believe Holmes could be an outstanding Guard.

Having Both playing together as well as they may project, and having both available to man the Center position if needed, would be a Great position to be in for the next 3 plus years. 

If you believe they would really like to Build a VG O-Line, this move isn`t hard to figure out.

Yip, they would have to Grade Martin higher than a number of board favorites, but who knows who will be Actually be available, and that is why they get the big bucks to plan THEIR Monster build.

So Pagano went to check out Martin personally because...

I would agree they wouldn`t take Martin unless they thought he Graded as a very worthy starting Center with the ability to also play good at guard.

Grigson and his staff slapped around all of this boards, please sign somebody Holmes doubters/haters because they have every reason to believe in Holmes. IMO.

And IMO they looked at Martin because they also believe Holmes could be an outstanding Guard.

Having Both playing together as well as they may project, and having both available to man the Center position if needed, would be a Great position to be in for the next 3 plus years. 

If you believe they would really like to Build a VG O-Line, this move isn`t hard to figure out.

Yip, they would have to Grade Martin higher than a number of board favorites, but who knows who will be Actually be available, and that is why they get the big bucks to plan THEIR Monster build.

I think what happened is that we went to the USC pro day and Pagano lIked what he saw in Martin worked him out.

I don't think we went to the pro day specifically for Martin. USC has other prospects nearly every team was at that pro day. They have a kid named Baily who plays S a pretty good WR LEE a CB who is a fringe prospect Harris a RB Cilas Redd and Martin. The guy I read who stood out was interior lineman Martinez. Could Pagano have had Martinez and Martin going at each other. We don't know that kind of stuff.

It might happen just don't see us taking a C 2 years in a row when so many are UDFA's and Grigs has alluded to it. All 3 Super Bowl teams he was apart of had an UDFA at C. It is just not a valued position. That is why so many UDFA can play there you get help from Guards probably how they go their name they guard the C.

We will see here pretty quick draft right around the corner

I expect Grigson will use the 59th pick for a high value position. Since we are good at QB, OT, WR (my opinion, since I like Rogers and Brazill) and TE... I would expect him to take a very good press cover CB prospect if one is available or a rush OLB or rush lineman if there is one that he likes. Even though safety and center are needs, they aren't generally high value positions in the NFL.

There should still be some interesting Center or C/G prospects out there in the 7th round or as FAs who could be plugged into the Practice Squad as an insurance policy against injury.  I'll be surprised if the Colts spend one of their limited higher round picks on a C.

After listening to the Grig's presser, I just crossed L. Joyner off of my list of possibles at 2(59).  I don't think he fits the mold as an interchangeable part at Safety, if we take him at his word, and I don't think he merits a 2nd round grade as a Cornerback.  Still fair game at 3(90), but that strikes me as unlikely now as well.  

Don't want either guy. Joyner is best suited to play the nickel, where we already have Butler, and Martin would just be our 2nd OC drafted somewhat early in the draft in back to back years, when we know centers take a little time to develop. If we go safety, I hope its either Ward or Bucannon in the 2nd, or Dion Bailey or Kenny Ladler in the 4th.

I think what happened is that we went to the USC pro day and Pagano lIked what he saw in Martin worked him out.

I don't think we went to the pro day specifically for Martin. USC has other prospects nearly every team was at that pro day. They have a kid named Baily who plays S a pretty good WR LEE a CB who is a fringe prospect Harris a RB Cilas Redd and Martin. The guy I read who stood out was interior lineman Martinez. Could Pagano have had Martinez and Martin going at each other. We don't know that kind of stuff.

It might happen just don't see us taking a C 2 years in a row when so many are UDFA's and Grigs has alluded to it. All 3 Super Bowl teams he was apart of had an UDFA at C. It is just not a valued position. That is why so many UDFA can play there you get help from Guards probably how they go their name they guard the C.

We will see here pretty quick draft right around the corner

Yet this board was INSANE to sign a $8-$9M Center. That would be Centers 2 years in a Row!!! Kind of over your head that Holmes has a lot of guard experience and Martin also has the size and is projected as having good Guard potential. And Grigson likes/expects one of his guards to be the backup Center. And Martin Projects around 59 on Many boards. And Colts knowledgeable fans are begging for O-Line upgrades.

And Grigson isn`t likely to go another season without trying to raise the line talent to a SB winning level.

No idea where Martin is on our board, but it definitely COULD BE several spots before 59.

I`m sure we all look forward to a stout O-Line however we get there. :thmup:

I would love Joyner he is a mixture between Tyrann Mathieu and Antoine Winfield. He would instantly iimprove the Colts secondary with his versatility. The kid is one of the better playmakers and by far the best blitzing safety in the draft. The only concern obviously is his size but he plays so much bigger.

He will most likely be gone by #59 anyway.

Yet this board was INSANE to sign a $8-$9M Center. That would be Centers 2 years in a Row!!! Kind of over your head that Holmes has a lot of guard experience and Martin also has the size and is projected as having good Guard potential. And Grigson likes/expects one of his guards to be the backup Center. And Martin Projects around 59 on Many boards. And Colts knowledgeable fans are begging for O-Line upgrades.

And Grigson isn`t likely to go another season without trying to raise the line talent to a SB winning level.

No idea where Martin is on our board, but it definitely COULD BE several spots before 59.

I`m sure we all look forward to a stout O-Line however we get there. :thmup:

I was never on board paying that much for a C that is crazy. Interested in Mack yes that price no way. My biggest FA's fears were Decker and Mack. I had trouble sleeping until the Jets paid Decker to bring his show to town.

I wanted Goodwin at C  but I have come to the conclusion the Colts want Holmes to win the job so they are looking for multi position back ups like Costa

I see what you are getting at Holmes has 1 year experience at G and Martin has 2 years at G 1 year at C. That would make the pick make much more sense. We would really be taking a G with experience as C.  I am with you I want a stout O Line don't care how we get there. I got a little locked in on Turner but he is just to hot now someone will reach he is a 3rd rounder. I think

I also want the D we have been hearing about since Pagano took over. The back end of the D in this draft is really deep. I hope to see a CB taken early.  There is talent into the 4th round and beyond. I would love a trade back at 59 or 90 pick up an extra pick. Or use 166 and our 6th to get up to 142ish. So many different ways to go.

Love the kid from Princeton Reid get some pass rush up the gut would be real nice.

S from WKU Dowling is a late rounder who could make the team and I think has star potential. Kid created 18 turnovers in 2 yrs that is nearly one a game. Very high ceiling very high attitude risk. Meyer ran him out of Florida.

I am not averse to taking Weston Richburg @ #59, if he is still there (Bengals might take him at #55).  We already caught lightning in a bottle with Manning/Luck.  Too much to ask for to get another in Saturday/ __ UDFA.  I'm tired of deriding the O line, specifically C and G.  If only I was confident the Holmes, Thornton were the answers.  Even Thomas is proven here yet. We could use quality depth there too.  I want to run the ball better, and keep Luck's jersey clean.  Hoping for UDFA's to do that continually is not a surefire path to a top tier O line.

I would love Joyner he is a mixture between Tyrann Mathieu and Antoine Winfield. He would instantly iimprove the Colts secondary with his versatility. The kid is one of the better playmakers and by far the best blitzing safety in the draft. The only concern obviously is his size but he plays so much bigger.

He will most likely be gone by #59 anyway.

Exactly why I like Joyner so much. He's one of the better safeties in this draft and has been the QB of the Florida State defense for the past few years. 2 inches taller and he's a 1st Rd pick.

Seeing how Mathieu panned out last year also makes me feel a lot better about how Joyner projects in the NFL.

How happy would you be with that draft. I mean, it's more likely that Martin will be there at the end of the 3rd than Joyner, but it it still very possible that Joyner would be there.

Or would you rather get Martin in the 2nd and Brooks in the third?

I'm a Joyner fan but I doubt he is there at #59, if he is I hope the Colts call his name.  But for Martin, personally there are centers I think are better than Martin that can be had in the later rounds.  If the Colts still ran a zone blocking scheme Martin would be a good choice but since they are now a man/drive blocking scheme I think Tyler Larsen is the best fit for the Colts line but there are others that would be good fits as well.