Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Colts Draft (With major trade)

*Indy trades 2015 1st and 2014 5th for Oakland's 2nd and 3rd round picks*

I also made other trade downs which are pretty realistic and ended up with 9 picks total. Id rather be in favor of doing this and not having a 1st next year. We would be a very complete team if this draft mostly panned out. And we get a few of my favorite guys in this draft as great fits for the Colts.

Round 2 Pick 4 (OAK): Jimmie Ward, SS, Northern Illinois (A)
Round 2 Pick 31 (DEN): Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU (B+)
Round 3 Pick 3 (OAK): Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech (A)
Round 4 Pick 16 (MIA): Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas (A)
Round 4 Pick 19 (DAL): Ahmad Dixon, SS, Baylor ©
Round 4 Pick 23 (CINN): Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia ©
Round 4 Pick 31 (DEN): Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice (B+)
Round 6 Pick 27: Deandre Coleman, DT, California (B+)
Round 7 Pick 17: Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma (C+)

With this draft we are loaded at WR and Landry gives us insurance if Wayne retires after this year since his contract is up. Plus its not guarantee Nicks will be back. We also get instant help at OLB in Attaochu to share time with Mathis. We also get our safeties of the future in Ward and Dixon, so Laron Landry can be replaced. Also we get help in the interior OL with Swanson who could play both C and OG. Murray may come as a surprise pick, but if he comes back healthy, he is still a very good QB who has trade value in the future for us.

A little unconventional I know, but I really like this draft because it gives us good depth and talent everywhere.

Why would we draft a QB? If we took a WR I think we could do a lot better than Landry in the 2nd. I would be surprised to see Swanson in the 4th and more surprised if we took him.

We are not carrying 3 qb's and we are not going to have a rookie back up wasted pick especially in the 4th there will be players still there. I like the added picks but to me they seem wasted on being unconventional. How about BPA leave out QB.

Ward Gaines Attaochu and Coleman I like. Not a fan of much else. I would bet money we take an Offensive Lineman and it is arguably one of our weakest spots but you taking a C? Don't follow the logic in this draft.

We are ok at QB take one in the 4th

Pretty Good at WR take one in 2nd overrated one at that

A C 2 yrs in a row no G or T???

This draft is beyond just highly unlikely. This is wishful thinking at it's best. Also a little ridiculous.  This is just too wild to even take seriously to be honest. This is the issue with First-Pick. A lot of over the top trades that would never happen.

This draft is beyond just highly unlikely. This is wishful thinking at it's best. Also a little ridiculous.  This is just too wild to even take seriously to be honest. This is the issue with First-Pick. A lot of over the top trades that would never happen.

Actually its more realistic now. It used to be that way where you could pull off unrealistic trades. Now not so much. Every trade I made could easily happen.

About as likely as us drafting a QB in the 4th round. You realize that would mean we carry 3 QB's or go with a rookie as our back up and cut Luck's buddy Hasselbeck  who is a team leader and mentor that makes absolutely no sense to me and in the 4th round where we can still grab guys that could play

About as likely as us drafting a QB in the 4th round. You realize that would mean we carry 3 QB's or go with a rookie as our back up and cut Luck's buddy Hasselbeck  who is a team leader and mentor that makes absolutely no sense to me and in the 4th round where we can still grab guys that could play

We wont keep Hasselbeck past next season since he's in the last year of his deal and is costly for a backup. We kept Harnish on our reserve list the first year with Hasselbeck backing up Luck.

I like to do these, but the trades end up being totally unrealistic.  I do think your first trade is realistic, and for a realistic target (Ward).  A real argument could be made that Ward is better than anyone likely to be available with our 2015 1st rounder (especially considering that it's likely to be the 32nd pick in the 1st).  Making that trade only, I got the following:

Round 2 Pick 3 (CLE): Jimmie Ward, SS, Northern Illinois (A)
Round 2 Pick 27: Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State (A)
Round 3 Pick 26: Keith McGill, CB, Utah (A-)
Round 5 Pick 26: Ryan Carrethers, DT, Arkansas State (C+)
Round 6 Pick 27: Alden Darby, SS, Arizona State (E)
Round 7 Pick 17: Gator Hoskins, FB, Marshall (C+)

I like the grades they give, too.  They seem to be off on some players' worth, and they just blast you for selecting them. 

We wont keep Hasselbeck past next season since he's in the last year of his deal and is costly for a backup. We kept Harnish on our reserve list the first year with Hasselbeck backing up Luck.

Yea but Harnish was exposed to the waiver wire before he was put on the practice squad. Aaron Murray wouldn't make it through the waiver wire to be put on the practice squad and essential would be just a wasted pick if you don't expect him to be on the 53 man roster

Traded our 2015 1st to Denver for 2014 1.31, 2.31 & 4.31.  Don't ever see that happening in real life but I was able to pull it off at first-pick.  I really like the line depth I was able to get in the mid rounds.

Round 1 Pick 31 (DEN): Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State (B+)
Round 2 Pick 27: Deone Bucannon, SS, Washington State (A)
Round 2 Pick 31 (DEN): Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State (A)
Round 3 Pick 26: Joel Bitonio, OT, Nevada (B+)
Round 4 Pick 31 (DEN): Trai Turner, OG, LSU (B)
Round 5 Pick 26: Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama (A)
Round 5 Pick 31 (DEN): Justin Ellis, DT, Louisiana Tech (A-)
Round 6 Pick 27: Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State (A)
Round 7 Pick 17: Gabe Ikard, C, Oklahoma ©

The most plausible trade up scenarios are:

-Trading a 2015 3rd for a 2014 4th

-Trading our 5th and 6th for a 2014 3rd

-Trading the 2015 2nd for a 2014 3rd

All these trades with us trading away a first for like 3 picks, or a second rounder for 2 picks this year are ridiculous. There is zero chance the 2015 1st rounder gets traded, and I don't even think there is that much of a chance we trade away our 2015 2nd rounder either, but I put it there because its not impossible if a can't miss guy is there.

The most plausible trade up scenarios are:

-Trading a 2015 3rd for a 2014 4th

-Trading our 5th and 6th for a 2014 3rd

-Trading the 2015 2nd for a 2014 3rd

All these trades with us trading away a first for like 3 picks, or a second rounder for 2 picks this year are ridiculous. There is zero chance the 2015 1st rounder gets traded, and I don't even think there is that much of a chance we trade away our 2015 2nd rounder either, but I put it there because its not impossible if a can't miss guy is there.

Do you think a team would take a 5th and a 6th straight up for a 3rd?  

That sounds a little too good.  

Do you think a team would take a 5th and a 6th straight up for a 3rd?  

That sounds a little too good.  

Any other draft, no but I think it's plausible in this draft because of how deep everyone knows it is. It would work great for teams who have multiple and/or high picks in the 4th. Probably wouldn't get us a high third though. Maybe pick 20 or higher in the 3rd.

Any other draft, no but I think it's plausible in this draft because of how deep everyone knows it is. It would work great for teams who have multiple and/or high picks in the 4th. Probably wouldn't get us a high third though. Maybe pick 20 or higher in the 3rd.

And that's exactly why I would have no problem trading our 2015 first rounder for the right combination of picks in this draft.  

Our 2014 first rouner will be at maximum 12 spots earlier than the second we receive. The value isn't there. Especially with the risk that they could be trading for a min of a 4 spot increase in exchange for a year wait factoring in us winning the Super bowl. Factor in the 3rd and bot a chance.

Our 2014 first rouner will be at maximum 12 spots earlier than the second we receive. The value isn't there. Especially with the risk that they could be trading for a min of a 4 spot increase in exchange for a year wait factoring in us winning the Super bowl. Factor in the 3rd and bot a chance.

yeah I didn't follow most of that :P

yeah I didn't follow most of that :P

Yeah was on my phone so some typos.

Basically the trade is highly unrealistic because their 2nd rounder (4th pick) and 3rd rounder are worth way more than our 2015 first. They would basically be paying a 3rd rounder to move into the first round which for all they know could only be 5 picks ahead of where their 2nd round (4th pick) is in 2014. 

However, A future pick is worth 1 round less in the current draft, making our 2015 1st round pick worth a very low 2014 2nd rounder. 

The value differential is a massive screwover for the Raiders. 

Yeah was on my phone so some typos.

Basically the trade is highly unrealistic because their 2nd rounder (4th pick) and 3rd rounder are worth way more than our 2015 first. They would basically be paying a 3rd rounder to move into the first round which for all they know could only be 5 picks ahead of where their 2nd round (4th pick) is in 2014. 

However, A future pick is worth 1 round less in the current draft, making our 2015 1st round pick worth a very low 2014 2nd rounder. 

The value differential is a massive screwover for the Raiders. 

ah ok.  you were talking specifically about the raiders.  I'm with you now and agree.  the only part of your post I'm not sure I agree with is when you say the value of a 2015 first is only worth a low 2nd round.  I know the value of a future pick is deprecated but I don't think by quite that much.  As an example, in 07, the colts gave up their future first round pick plus a 4th round pick to move into the top of the 2nd round for San Fran's pick.  This pick was the 10th of the 2nd round so it cost a future 1st plus a 4th.  

Now granted, that was 7 years ago and I have no idea how values may have changed from then to now, but if we consider that values are roughly the same, then San Fran's 42nd pick was worth 480 points and the Colts 4th round pick was worth 46, so 480-46 = 434 points which is right in the center of the 2nd round.

Granted, a trade with Oakland is out of the question, but San Fran has a ton of picks in this draft.  I just did some adding and a future first from the Colts could potentially get one of San Fran's late 2nd round picks (pick 61), one of their 3rd round picks (pick 94) plus possibly a 5th or 6th.  Depending on how the board falls and the wealth of talent that should be there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this draft, that's something I could at least consider.

ah ok.  you were talking specifically about the raiders.  I'm with you now and agree.  the only part of your post I'm not sure I agree with is when you say the value of a 2015 first is only worth a low 2nd round.  I know the value of a future pick is deprecated but I don't think by quite that much.  As an example, in 07, the colts gave up their future first round pick plus a 4th round pick to move into the top of the 2nd round for San Fran's pick.  This pick was the 10th of the 2nd round so it cost a future 1st plus a 4th.  

Now granted, that was 7 years ago and I have no idea how values may have changed from then to now, but if we consider that values are roughly the same, then San Fran's 42nd pick was worth 480 points and the Colts 4th round pick was worth 46, so 480-46 = 434 points which is right in the center of the 2nd round.

Granted, a trade with Oakland is out of the question, but San Fran has a ton of picks in this draft.  I just did some adding and a future first from the Colts could potentially get one of San Fran's late 2nd round picks (pick 61), one of their 3rd round picks (pick 94) plus possibly a 5th or 6th.  Depending on how the board falls and the wealth of talent that should be there in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this draft, that's something I could at least consider.

When talking about higher rounds I agree, the general statement of it being worth 1 round less probably isn't quite as accurate as say our 4th this year being traded for a 5th last year. With the Raiders pick they have to go in thinking we could win the Superbowl making us the last pick in the 1st round, which in this case is not nearly worth the trade. In the case of the 49ers, if you are swinging for a late round 2nd you could most definitely get a hit there, as the value is much more comparable. They have too many picks for their roster anyways, so it would make sense for them to consolidate lower picks into high ones. 

I am not sure what everyone sees in Ward. He is just average to me. He has an average build and good speed. I would not draft him in the 2nd round, and I certainly would not trade our first rounder in 2015 for him.

Free safety has to be the easiest position to fill on this defense. I hope we draft a safety on day 3.

The 2015 draft will be a GREAT wide receiver draft. We could get a guy like Amari Cooper from Alabama, Jaelen Strong from Arizona State, or Stefon Diggs from Maryland just to name a few guys. If anything we should trade back and try to pick up a couple extra picks in 2015.

Here is another one I did on first pick that went in our favor. Not sure if its super realistic or not, but I gave up our 2015 1st and 2014 3rd for Miami's 2014 1st and 4th.

With this draft, we have arguably one of the best secondaries in the NFL and we can let Laron Landry go after this season.

Round 1 Pick 22 (PHI): Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville (A)
Round 2 Pick 27: Deone Bucannon, SS, Washington State (A)
Round 4 Pick 16 (MIA): Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State (A)
Round 5 Pick 26: Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana (A-)
Round 6 Pick 27: Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida (B)
Round 7 Pick 17: Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech (D)

Here is another one I did on first pick that went in our favor. Not sure if its super realistic or not, but I gave up our 2015 1st and 2014 3rd for Miami's 2014 1st and 4th.

With this draft, we have arguably one of the best secondaries in the NFL and we can let Laron Landry go after this season.

Round 1 Pick 22 (PHI): Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville (A)

Round 2 Pick 27: Deone Bucannon, SS, Washington State (A)

Round 4 Pick 16 (MIA): Rashaad Reynolds, CB, Oregon State (A)

Round 5 Pick 26: Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana (A-)

Round 6 Pick 27: Aaron Lynch, DE, South Florida (B)

Round 7 Pick 17: Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech (D)

No way you get Latimer and Thomas in those rounds. Latimer is a 2nd round prospect and Thomas ia a 5th round guy.

Trade our 2015 first round pick for a early 2nd round pick this year and trade our 59 for a 3th and a 4th round selections this year and we will get this:

2. Jimmie Ward, FS

3. Marcus Smith, OLB

3. Jared Abbrederis, WR

4. Dontae Johnson, CB/S

5. Taylor Hart, DE

6. Dezmen Southward, SS

7. Aaron Colvin, CB