Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oline Free Agency

There has been a lot of talk about cornerback with Davis' contract up in the air but not much about the Oline. I'd prefer a ready to go free agent instead of a project from the draft.

Jon Asamoah is a player I'd really like in at guard, only 25 and a good pass protector.

Evan Dietrich-Smith at centre, he's still young and productive. Could form a long term bond with Luck.

If I couldn't get them I'd try for Wharton or Schwartz at guard and De Le Puente at centre.

I think nobody is talking about the O-Line simply because it's so obvious that we need upgrades there and there isn't much point highlighting that.

Cornerback, on the other hand, provokes more debate because some people think we need to upgrade and others don't. 

I'm not convinced either way about signing a corner. I definitely think we need to pay Davis but I'm not certain whether we should go out and get another corner to replace Toler already. I can certainly see the argument both for and against.

There has been a lot of talk about cornerback with Davis' contract up in the air but not much about the Oline. I'd prefer a ready to go free agent instead of a project from the draft.

Jon Asamoah is a player I'd really like in at guard, only 25 and a good pass protector.

Evan Dietrich-Smith at centre, he's still young and productive. Could form a long term bond with Luck.

If I couldn't get them I'd try for Wharton or Schwartz at guard and De Le Puente at centre.

I like Asamoah too for our RG position.  Wharton I would be a no and I think that Schwartz would be too much $$$.  Then if we could get EDS or De Le Puente it would be awesome.

LT - Castonzo

LG - Thomas/Thorton

C - Dietrich-Smith or De Le Puente

RG - Asamoah

RT - Cherilus

That's a o-line that could protect Luck for years and maybe even open enough room for Trich to get it going.

Someone wrote a nice piece on Joe Hawley (I believe that was his name), who was the center for the Falcons. He seems like a nice under the radar guy you could pick up at a reasonable price that could compete with Holmes for the starting center spot.

I still feel that Chad Rhinehart (sp?) the guard from the Chargers would be a nice pickup. He might get a deal similar to what Donald Thomas got last season.

Signing a couple guys allows for us to focus on other positions in the draft.

Bleacher Report mentioned in its "rumors" that Vontae Davis is signing elsewhere. We may need a corner or two in the draft.

Someone wrote a nice piece on Joe Hawley (I believe that was his name), who was the center for the Falcons. He seems like a nice under the radar guy you could pick up at a reasonable price that could compete with Holmes for the starting center spot.

I still feel that Chad Rhinehart (sp?) the guard from the Chargers would be a nice pickup. He might get a deal similar to what Donald Thomas got last season.

Signing a couple guys allows for us to focus on other positions in the draft.

Bleacher Report mentioned in its "rumors" that Vontae Davis is signing elsewhere. We may need a corner or two in the draft.

Rhinehart resigned with SD.

I like Asamoah too for our RG position.  Wharton I would be a no and I think that Schwartz would be too much $$$.  Then if we could get EDS or De Le Puente it would be awesome.

LT - Castonzo

LG - Thomas/Thorton

C - Dietrich-Smith or De Le Puente

RG - Asamoah

RT - Cherilus

That's a o-line that could protect Luck for years and maybe even open enough room for Trich to get it going.

I like that line.  Sounds pretty solid and would cause an instant improvement in the offense, both pass and run.

I'm really interested in seeing how our strategy at O-line unfolds. It was a real weakness last year, and even worse the year before. I think we're pretty good at T, although could stand to add a depth signing. At G I think Thomas is pretty good, Thornton sucked last year but has potential, and I actually think Reitz is really good for depth. At C, right now it's just a question mark in Holmes, who didn't even overtake Samson freaking Satele. So I gotta think C is our top priority, G a strong consideration, and T only a place to find depth.

It is still early people the O line will be addressed. The big names are going off of the board for now.  Give it time some of the big contracts will go down. the O line will be taken care of. center is where i would start.  The Colts will be solid this up coming year.  Dwayne Allen returning straight beast mode.  Go Colts.

I'm really interested in seeing how our strategy at O-line unfolds. It was a real weakness last year, and even worse the year before. I think we're pretty good at T, although could stand to add a depth signing. At G I think Thomas is pretty good, Thornton sucked last year but has potential, and I actually think Reitz is really good for depth. At C, right now it's just a question mark in Holmes, who didn't even overtake Samson freaking Satele. So I gotta think C is our top priority, G a strong consideration, and T only a place to find depth.

Well Holmes was also injured too. I don't think he ever even suited up for a game. He probably didn't have many reps under his belt.

I don't think we're going to outbid Cleveland on the transition tag. Most likely Mack is staying with the Browns.

De La Puente is a respectable NFL starter and for a while was the guy that I favored bringing in. But the truth is he's kind of inconsistent and probably looked better than he is next to the Saints guards. He's better than Satele, but I wouldn't want to shell out crazy money for him. He's a pretty good pass blocker, nothing special in the run game.

Dietrich-Smith is relatively new to the center position and played well in Green Bay. He was also helped out by strong guard play around him. He's more unproven but has more upside. He demonstrated success as both a pass and run blocker. I think he's really our best option in free agency. The Giants and Buccaneers are reportedly interested in signing him.

With Satele out, we will sign a Center.

Mack will be expensive for sure, but he's still the best Center available by far.

I'm still hoping that we go after him. Elite teams have elite players.

But we'll probably sign some medium player and throw a ton of money after Decker instead of focusing on upgrading our weakest area of the team to a strong point.

Why Dietrich-Smith isn't resigned in Green Bay?

Why Dietrich-Smith isn't resigned in Green Bay?

exactly. They have the cap room.

Saints didnt even try to resign de la Puente. And considering the Byrd deal id say they did have the cash to do. They didnt even try

What kind of deal does everyone think it will take to get EDS or BDLP

I believe we could get EDS for about the same as Satele's old contract.  5 mil APY

BDLP I think would be a bit cheaper.

Of course it's hard to say, the interior O-line market hasn't really developed yet.  

Most of us thought we could get Davis back for around 8 million APY but after Shield's got re-signed it became clear we where gonna have to pony up more then that.  We where fortunate to get him back at 9.75 million APY.