Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Majority "NO" to Decker

Bravo

The over-infatuation with skill players every off-season is exactly why we've struggled to field a truly dominant team in the trenches all these years. It's really stupid; we don't even need a receiver right now, just like we didn't really need to waste a 1st on a RB. It all starts upfront when it comes to winning football games. Losing franchises waste money on the shiny toys in the off-season, while the winning ones stock up on picks and build up dominant lines, with the occasional key free agency pick up every now and then.

Not to mention, the last big time free agent receiver to actually live up to the investment was?......

Absolutely....

I like, I like.....

To restate - Decker is a #2, and if his price tag was that of a #2 it would be a different matter. Let one of our competitors OVERPAY for him....

ColtsHappy

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having a receiver like Decker also helps because I think it moves Whalen to kick return duties... I'm sick of seeing T.Y. Hilton have to get back there to return them knowing if he gets in trouble it could make things a bit tougher. A group of Reggie Wayne, Decker, Hilton, Rogers, and Brazill would be scary with Whalen coming in and out. Then having an o-line that can open running lanes would stretch things even more.

Same crap different year. Let's all go on and on about wr's, te's, rb's, cb's and safeties. Championship teams are built from the line out. Both sides of the ball, period. The lines are the cake, wr's and all that other crap the icing.

Well, the Colts blew that when they drafted Luck without all of that in place. It may never get in place when he starting taking his $20+ million out of the cap pool.

Absolutely....

I like, I like.....

To restate - Decker is a #2, and if his price tag was that of a #2 it would be a different matter. Let one of our competitors OVERPAY for him....

ColtsHappy

Remember that you said that when Wayne breaks down again and the Colts have no number one receiver. Decker will be a number one for someone.

The over-infatuation with skill players every off-season is exactly why we've struggled to field a truly dominant team in the trenches all these years. It's really stupid; we don't even need a receiver right now, just like we didn't really need to waste a 1st on a RB. It all starts upfront when it comes to winning football games. Losing franchises waste money on the shiny toys in the off-season, while the winning ones stock up on picks and build up dominant lines, with the occasional key free agency pick up every now and then.

Not to mention, the last big time free agent receiver to actually live up to the investment was?......

Peyton Manning? I agree with you but that approach was dead the second the Colts drafted Luck. Look at the 49ers and Seahawks that is how you build a team. It is what Houston is going to do too and I look for them to swoop past the Colts in very little time.

I happen to love the universe I live in - and the TRUTH is the truth is the truth.

Decker is a #2 receiver, we don't need him.

ColtsHappy

The universe comment wasn't directed toward you.

And agree to disagree.

Our offense wet the bed after Wayne went down last year.

Nobody could get open.  It wasn't all on the line.

Pass protection was not a glaring weakness last year.  Run blocking was, I agree.

I just don't get why people think landing a WR and landing solid linemen is a mutually exclusive proposition. 

Because he's a number 2 receiver with inflated stats due to playing with Peyton Manning.

Imagine what Hakeem Nicks, a true number one receiver, could do with Peyton Manning.

Nicks is the one we should go after

You can say that about any receiver who plays with a great qb. You can argue that Montana made Rice better... or vice versa. In the Bronco games that I got to see on tv Peyton put the ball in spots no one else could. Then again I saw Peyton throw some wobblers that Decker and company took and made big plays. It takes to to tango.

Remember that you said that when Wayne breaks down again and the Colts have no number one receiver. Decker will be a number one for someone.

Agreed.  People seem to have amnesia with respect to what happened to our passing game after Wayne went down.

Even if Decker is a #2, he's a damn good one and if I can land him AND upgrade some of the interior positions on the line, I'm going to do it.

If he is that and he is willing to sign for one year cheap, why wouldn't he sign on to play with Peyton Manning and replace Decker. He may be a true number one receiver although I am not convinced of that but he can't stay on the field. Decker can and that makes him worth many millions more. You are only a number two receiver when the number one is better. Thomas is better but no one on the Colts including Wayne coming off of injury and aging is either.

Decker isn't in Reggies area code. Coming off an injury or not, Wayne is the superior player

Peyton Manning? I agree with you but that approach was dead the second the Colts drafted Luck. Look at the 49ers and Seahawks that is how you build a team. It is what Houston is going to do too and I look for them to swoop past the Colts in very little time.

Since when did Peyton start playing receiver? lol

Decker isn't in Reggies area code. Coming off an injury or not, Wayne is the superior player

I will admit that he used to be but that was in the past. His age and injury would say that he won't be that ever again. Decker is young with room to get even better. Wayne is yesterday's news. Maybe good for one more year at a reduced capacity.

I will admit that he used to be but that was in the past. His age and injury would say that he won't be that ever again. Decker is young with room to get even better. Wayne is yesterday's news. Maybe good for one more year at a reduced capacity.

Luckily for all of us you aren't the talent evaluater for the colts.

Luckily for all of us you aren't the talent evaluater for the colts.

What is even luckier is that neither are you. But, I wouldn't have traded a number one pick for a dud running back, I wouldn't have given a second round pick for a CB we can't re-sign and I wouldn't have drafted a project on the first round last year. But, you think what every you like.

You mean the injured Nicks while Decker plays every game? What are you smoking?

Nicks was injured last yr. Its not like he's missing entire seasons. Decker is a product of a pass happy offense resulting in inflated stats. Hakeem Nicks is the more talented player, and cheaper. Nicks has Bay Bay Thomas ability. Decker even admigged he's not on Tbomas' level

What is even luckier is that neither are you. But, I wouldn't have traded a number one pick for a dud running back, I wouldn't have given a second round pick for a CB we can't re-sign and I wouldn't have drafted a project on the first round last year. But, you think what every you like.

I'm sure you would have made stellar moves

Nicks was injured last yr. Its not like he's missing entire seasons. Decker is a product of a pass happy offense resulting in inflated stats. Hakeem Nicks is the more talented player, and cheaper. Nicks has Bay Bay Thomas ability. Decker even admigged he's not on Tbomas' level

And neither is Nicks. I wouldn't take the chance on Nicks even for low dollars.

Hindsight certainly is 20-20!  No?

OK, I will remember - my memory is as sharp as a tack - YOU friggin remember when Reggie becomes the Adrian Peterson of wide receivers, and runs up REGGIE numbers - shrugging off the ACL like a bad suit my friend....

ColtsHappy

I'm sure you would have made stellar moves

Anyone would make stellar moves and some bad moves too. Those were three bad moves by Grigson. He has made some good ones too. I would rather seem him overpay for Decker than a questionable linebacker like Jackson.

So I take it you're Reggie's doctor or something, to have such inside knowledge about the "fact" that his injury has made him lose a few steps, before he's even stepped back on the field?

OK, I will remember - my memory is as sharp as a tack - YOU friggin remember when Reggie becomes the Adrian Peterson of wide receivers, and runs up REGGIE numbers - shrugging off the ACL like a bad suit my friend....

ColtsHappy

And you remember when he struggles to get separation and is replaced by mid-season.

So I take it you're Reggie's doctor or something, to have such inside knowledge about the "fact" that his injury has made him lose a few steps, before he's even stepped back on the field?

No. Common sense and taking his age into consideration does that. Don't expect to see the Reggie of old.

Speed was never reggies strong suit. He will still get open like he always has

Not likely but we will see. He may also come out and decide he can't be the player he was used to being and retires in training camp. I am a big fan of Wayne's but receivers his age don't usually accomplish much. Decker is 26.

the reason I say no to decker is first according to everyone this going to be one of the deepest drafts in awhile and 2nd there are cheaper better options in free agency one guy I like is Damian Williams he wont come with a big price tag and I have read some stuff on him they say he is good at getting open against the better cornerbacks in the NFL and now that NIcks said he is willing to take a one year prove it deal I just think there are cheaper better options out there

No. Common sense and taking his age into consideration does that. Don't expect to see the Reggie of old.

Ironically, that very same line of thought is a major contributing factor in why Decker is even in a position to make big time coin right now. If the Colts organization didn't think the same thing about a 36-37 year old HOF QB (coming off a couple of major neck surgeries almost 2 years ago) that you're thinking about Wayne, I doubt Decker would be commanding this kind of market right now. You think the Colts might've been wrong on that assumption, just maybe?

Common sense tells me not to jump to conclusions before all the facts are revealed

the reason I say no to decker is first according to everyone this going to be one of the deepest drafts in awhile and 2nd there are cheaper better options in free agency one guy I like is Damian Williams he wont come with a big price tag and I have read some stuff on him they say he is good at getting open against the better cornerbacks in the NFL and now that NIcks said he is willing to take a one year prove it deal I just think there are cheaper better options out there

There will be cheaper options, of course. There is a good reason they are cheaper options. Nicks may be forced to take a one year contract because he has to prove he can stay healthy.

Ironically, that very same line of thought is a major contributing factor in why Decker is even in a position to make big time coin right now. If the Colts organization didn't think the same thing about a 36-37 year old HOF QB (coming off a couple of major neck surgeries almost 2 years ago) that you're thinking about Wayne, I doubt Decker would be commanding this kind of market right now. You think the Colts might've been wrong on that assumption, just maybe?

Common sense tells me not to jump to conclusions before all the facts are revealed

There is a difference between QBs playing at that age and WRs. Many QBs have done it, very view WRs.

There is a difference between QBs playing at that age and WRs. Many QBs have done it, very view WRs.

Name the "many" QB's who have returned from major injuries around that age, who went on the break passing records and win an MVP?.....Because I'm pretty sure there's only one. I do agree that an ACL injury at that age is hard to come back from for anyone, but Reggie is just as cerebral a receiver as Peyton is a QB. He wins with execution and high football IQ. As was already stated, he never used speed to get his seperation to begin with. If any receiver could come back from it at this age, it would be him

Name the "many" QB's who have returned from major injuries around that age, who went on the break passing records and win an MVP?.....Because I'm pretty sure there's only one. I do agree that an ACL injury at that age is hard to come back from for anyone, but Reggie is just as cerebral a receiver as Peyton is a QB. He wins with execution and high football IQ. As was already stated, he never used speed to get his seperation to begin with. If any receiver could come back from it at this age, it would be him

How about Joe Montana. His injury caused him to lose his starting job. There are more. I think Johnny U even did that.

Same crap different year. Let's all go on and on about wr's, te's, rb's, cb's and safeties. Championship teams are built from the line out. Both sides of the ball, period. The lines are the cake, wr's and all that other crap the icing.

wonder how Seattle won without a great line