Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Cap Space update

TKnight24

Seen a lot of you guys asking about how much we have left to spend after our recent moves. Hopefully this helps

@HolderStephen: If my math is right (probably right), #Colts still more than $36M under salary cap after recent moves. Doubtful they spend it all, but FYI

Considering we have yet to address CB, S, WR, C I'd say we're gonna need a big chunk of that 36 mil. The Vontae Davis situation really has me concerned because I think the type of CB we need for this defense is hard to come by. And I don't think its easy to find a CB like that in the draft. Especially picking where we are in round 2. I know that fee agency isn't a cure all. I wish we had a #1 pick this year.

I see a lot of people keep saying we need to address the WR position. why is that?

Wayne

Hilton

Rogers

Whalen

Brazill

(Fleener) <<< he could be used in the slot position at times with his size and speed.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with our WR's. but if we had to sign one, I would like for us to sign Devin Hester. he could help in the ST's department, and he could be a deep threat for us. decent hands, great speed. put him and Hilton on the field together, who does the other team put their fastest DB on the most? or could leave Wayne open at times also.

That being said, WR is not one of our " biggest needs ". prefer us to shore up our interior line and defense before thinking about WR's. not unless somehow we were able to trade up into one of the top 5 picks and draft Sammy Watkins. which def. wont happen.

I think we will have to spend all but 4,8400,000.00($44,000,000).........If we offer Davis lets say $40,000,000 over 5 years then thats 8 mill per year, Which I think when healthy is worth that then thats $31,116,000.00........But Im not sure and Im probably off, Keep in mind we have to spend 89% of that 44 mill

I've been against aggressively looking for a WR but with Nicks coming out saying he would take a one year deal to prove himself, that's something I think Grigson should look at. I don't want a big deal or high pick to be made, but that would bee some insurance for this year.

I think we will have to spend all but 4,8400,000.00($44,000,000).........If we offer Davis lets say $40,000,000 over 5 years then thats 8 mill per year, Which I think when healthy is worth that then thats $31,116,000.00........But Im not sure and Im probably off, Keep in mind we have to spend 89% of that 44 mill

The cap has always been confusing to me ! Do we have to spend 89% per year or is it 89% over 3 years ? Thank's for any help on this !!

Respectfully....

This is a strange post.   

First, with Shields signing for 4/39,  we're not going to get Davis for 5/40.

Second,  we do not have to spend 89% of the $44 Mill we have to spend.   (by the way, I'm not sure that number is right, especially after we signed Jackson...)

We have to spend 89% of the overall cap amount, but that's over a 4-year period.     So, you can be under that 89% in any given year,  as long as you're above it in other years, and it all averages out to 89% over the period.    I believe that's the formula.   At least,  that's my understanding.

If I'm wrong -- and I may be --  someone like Superman (who really understands this stuff)  or someone else, will correct me.

Remember......   things are very, very fluid now....   try not to get too wrapped up in every last detail...  because things are going to change so fast that what was once accurate is going to be inaccurate very quickly....    Just some food for thought to help everyone keep their sanity!  :thmup:

Respectfully....

This is a strange post.   

First, with Shields signing for 4/39,  we're not going to get Davis for 5/40.

Second,  we do not have to spend 89% of the $44 Mill we have to spend.   (by the way, I'm not sure that number is right, especially after we signed Jackson...)

We have to spend 89% of the overall cap amount, but that's over a 4-year period.     So, you can be under that 89% in any given year,  as long as you're above it in other years, and it all averages out to 89% over the period.    I believe that's the formula.   At least,  that's my understanding.

If I'm wrong -- and I may be --  someone like Superman (who really understands this stuff)  or someone else, will correct me.

Remember......   things are very, very fluid now....   try not to get too wrapped up in every last detail...  because things are going to change so fast that what was once accurate is going to be inaccurate very quickly....    Just some food for thought to help everyone keep their sanity!  :thmup:

Good point, I just read, 89% over 2013 to 2016. As to Shields, I dont remember saying anything about Shields, But Vontae should come for slightly less and Shields is making 9.75 average milll per year if that number is correct (I haven't looked at his contract) but I think Vontae gets slightly less because Shields has been arguably just as productive  in 1 years worth of more games

Good point, I just read, 89% over 2013 to 2016. As to Shields, I dont remember saying anything about Shields, But Vontae should come for slightly less and Shields is making 9.75 average milll per year if that number is correct (I haven't looked at his contract) but I think Vontae gets slightly less because Shields has been arguably just as productive  in 1 years worth of more games

No worries...

And you're right,  you didn't mention Shields...   I brought him as a reference point to Davis....  with Shields getting so much, it makes signing Davis much, MUCH harder.    I'm not nearly as confident as I once was about this signing....

As to how much we'll spend....   Grigson has said and the PR department is echoing,  that the Colts will not be as active in FA this year as we were last year.   We don't want to paint ourselves into a corner when we have so many big signings in '15 and '16....

So.......  it's hard for me to see lots of presents under our Free Agent Christmas tree this year....

Respectfully....

This is a strange post.

First, with Shields signing for 4/39, we're not going to get Davis for 5/40.

Second, we do not have to spend 89% of the $44 Mill we have to spend. (by the way, I'm not sure that number is right, especially after we signed Jackson...)

We have to spend 89% of the overall cap amount, but that's over a 4-year period. So, you can be under that 89% in any given year, as long as you're above it in other years, and it all averages out to 89% over the period. I believe that's the formula. At least, that's my understanding.

If I'm wrong -- and I may be -- someone like Superman (who really understands this stuff) or someone else, will correct me.

Remember...... things are very, very fluid now.... try not to get too wrapped up in every last detail... because things are going to change so fast that what was once accurate is going to be inaccurate very quickly.... Just some food for thought to help everyone keep their sanity! :thmup:

grimes got 4 years 32 million

Or force us to overspend on marginal players who cripple our cap space in the future, diminishing our chances of building a Super Bowl team in the near future.

Hmm then don't spend it on marginal players get the damn elite play makers like we should be

No worries...

And you're right,  you didn't mention Shields...   I brought him as a reference point to Davis....  with Shields getting so much, it makes signing Davis much, MUCH harder.    I'm not nearly as confident as I once was about this signing....

As to how much we'll spend....   Grigson has said and the PR department is echoing,  that the Colts will not be as active in FA this year as we were last year.   We don't want to paint ourselves into a corner when we have so many big signings in '15 and '16....

So.......  it's hard for me to see lots of presents under our Free Agent Christmas tree this year....

Yeah I agree about the number of signings now that I am looking at that 89% right now, i do however think we will go for a Center, This draft is pRetty bare with talent at Center that willl fit our scheme (we need a good drive blocker at Center...I dont see any Center that can consistently do that until the late rounds), I have my eye on Russell Bodine late in the draft and Joe Hawley in FA

Yeah I agree about the number of signings now that I am looking at that 89% right now, i do however think we will go for a Center, This draft is pRetty bare with talent at Center that willl fit our scheme (we need a good drive blocker at Center...I dont see any Center that can consistently do that until the late rounds), I have my eye on Russell Bodine late in the draft and Joe Hawley in FA

Honestly,  I'm not sure Colts fans will EVER have to worry about the 89% figure.    Honestly, I think that's for (A) cheap franchises, and (B) franchises that have to hold some money in reserve because they need it in the next year or two for big expected contracts for their QB or WR or CB or OLB or DE.     You get the idea.

I get the sense that Irsay is willing to spend every nickle he can to bring the Colts back to the Super Bowl -- cost be damned!   Seriously.     

I don't think Irsay cares about the money.   He wants to win.  That impresses the Heck out of me.  Seriously.

But I absolutely agree that Grigson wants to buy a solid, dependable center that he can count on.   And while he had his hopes up for Holmes -- I don't think he can cross his fingers and hope and pray Holmes can be that guy.   I don't think Grigson can risk the health of Andrew Luck on what still amounts to an untried rookie.    So, he's got to get a center.   I think Holmes just became quality back-up.  

And while he's at it,  Grigs might also buy another solid guard as well.

After that.....  I'm not sure....  I'd like a dependable WR and DB....  but we'll see how other signings

are working out........

I've been against aggressively looking for a WR but with Nicks coming out saying he would take a one year deal to prove himself, that's something I think Grigson should look at. I don't want a big deal or high pick to be made, but that would bee some insurance for this year.

If true I'd do it.  He did it with DHB last year.  Nicks is a good receiver and I'm not fully convinced the Wayne will be 100%.  After that it's Hilton.  The rest make me nervous.  WR is not our biggest need, but if we can shore it up for a reasonable 1 year deal, why not.

I don't know how many truly elite players there are in this market and more often than not big money free agents don't work out, and they still cripple the cap.

Well I'm sure Byrd would be a star in our D we need to resign Vontae get a healthy # 2 CB we need a C and G that would use the cap

Well I'm sure Byrd would be a star in our D we need to resign Vontae get a healthy # 2 CB we need a C and G that would use the cap

If they re-sign Vontae they're done spending money at the CB position. After Davis they'll likely have 18-21 Million tied up in just the CB position alone. Byrd will be a good player but I doubt he will play up to his 8-10 Mil price tag he is going to get. You can usually add good interior linemen for cheap, so no need to break the bank there. Spending money just to spend money isn't an effective strategy.

I see a lot of people keep saying we need to address the WR position. why is that?

Wayne

Hilton

Rogers

Whalen

Brazill

(Fleener) <<< he could be used in the slot position at times with his size and speed.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with our WR's. but if we had to sign one, I would like for us to sign Devin Hester. he could help in the ST's department, and he could be a deep threat for us. decent hands, great speed. put him and Hilton on the field together, who does the other team put their fastest DB on the most? or could leave Wayne open at times also.

That being said, WR is not one of our " biggest needs ". prefer us to shore up our interior line and defense before thinking about WR's. not unless somehow we were able to trade up into one of the top 5 picks and draft Sammy Watkins. which def. wont happen.

Dont forget about Allen. The man is a beast with solid hands and a good receiving TE that creates mismatch hell when paired with Fleener and the rest of our WRs.  

Wayne

Hilton

Rogers

Whalen

Brazill

I'm in full agreement. We have a great QB and that TE tandem of Allen/Fleener is going to open things up big time, in the running game and the passing game. While it's tempting to bring a Decker, Nicks, Sanders type guy in just because we have the money, I would truly prefer to drop big money on the best center available.