Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reality's Mock 3.1 Shake things up edition.

Cuts:

Sampson Satele: Satele has underperformed his whole career with us, taking up 4M and Satele not being very good this is a no brainer cut.

Greg Toler: Greg has only played one year with us, which is why it might be a bit early to pull the plug, but his 2013 campaign was mostly injured, this position can be improved apon and could definitely move us from contenders to favorites. Frees up 4M

Weslye Saunders: We have better, younger options at TE. Saves 750K

Kelvin Sheppard: Sheppard hasn't played well so far in his career not in Buffalo, nor with us. With the signing of Mumba that could be the end of Sheppard. Saves 1.7M

Mario Harvey: Harvey down right sucks, look at the game tape from San Deigo. Better options at LB Saves 500k

Resignings:

Vontae Davis CB 5yr. 35M- 7M/yr: 

Vontae has stepped up and played as one of our best Defensive players, a must keep franchise stepping stone type player, worth the money.

Pat McAfee P 5yr. 12.5M- 2.5M/yr:

Pat Has turned into a Defensive player, his booming kicks. Big deal to get him back, worth the money.

Adam Vaniterri K 1yr. 2.2M- 2.2M/yr: 

Adam, although 40 still is extremely consistent and should be brought back for another year.

Fili Moala DE 2yr. 1.5M- 750K/yr:

Fili provides depth on the D-line, you can never have enough depth.

Sergio Brown ST/S 3yr 2.4M- 800K.yr:

Sergio has turned into a real beast on special teams, it seems like every game we see Sergio fielding a punt inside the 5, or just making a play.

Lawerence Sidbury OLB 1yr. 500K- 500/yr:

Lawerence spend the whole year on IR, tore his ACL last year, but I really like Lawernce he can provide depth and pass rush when needed.

Joe Rietz (RFA) OG/OT

Not quite sure what the cap number is for this but I'd like to bring Joe back.

Cam Johnson (ERFA) LB/ST

Same with ERFA not sure about the cap number, but I'd like to bring back Cam.

Free Agents:

Karlos Dansby ILB 3yr. 19.5M- 6.5M/yr:

Dansby is great in coverage, and above solid against the run. Dansby would be a great veteran addition to our defense and help us solidify it and take our team to the next level.

Charles Tillman CB 2yr. 10M- 5M/yr:

After cutting Greg it leaves a hole at #2 CB. Tillman is perfect because we could lock him up for 2 years whie we draft a corner and let him develop into a #2. Tillman is a large upgrade on our defense overall.

Evan Ditrich-Smith C 4yr. 20M- 5M/yr:

Ditrich-Smith is one of 3 elite centers in this free agent class and quite frankly my favorite, Mack will just be too expensive, and Ditrich-Smith is a great addition that would help solitify our OL.

Chris Clements S 4 yr. 18M- 4.5M/yr:

Clements would be a great plug and play beside Laundry while we have a younger player learning under him, in 2 years we can evaluate Laundry and either let him go if he busts, and give the player a chance, or keep Laundry and have depth.

Jason Worilds OLB 4yr. 12M- 3M/yr:

Worilds provides depth and pass rush at OLB. You can never have to many pass rushers so Worilds would be a great rotational pash rusher.

Damian Williams WR 3yr. 2.4M- 800K/yr:

My favorite WR in this free agent class, he's a cheaper option that never got a chance to prove himself. He is a great athlete and could flourish in a rotation with Rogers, Whalen, and Brazil.

Cam Thomas NT 3yr. 2.1M- 750K/yr:

Thomas is a cheap option for a short-term nose tackle as we can devolpe a NT from the draft. While in the short term playin Thomas in DL rotation.

Rapoti Pitoitua DE 2yr. 2M- 1M/yr:

Rapoti could be a depth player on the DL. In rotation our DL could take off with the amount of depth and fresh bodies we'd be able to maintain.

Draft:
2: Gabe Jackson OG Mississippi St.

Jackson could step in and start from day 1 at RG, Jackson is a great run blocker and a decent pass protector. This could be the final piece of the puzzle that solidifies our OL for years to come.

3: Stanly Jean-Babtiste CB Nebraska

A big Corner that we could have sit and learn from Charles (Tillman) and eventually play the #2 corner and solidify our Defensive backfield. Babtiste is a big corner at 6-2 that is great at press coverage.

5: Marquiston Huff S Wyoming 

Huff finds his way to the ball and is very fast, Huff like Babtiste could take a few years to learn and eventually turn into a starter down the line. Huff is a gifted athlete.

6: Telvin Smith ILB FSU

Smith is one of my favorite prospects in this years draft. He ran a 4.52 (Second fastest of all LB's at the combine) He plays fast and is a prototype Coverage LB that can also rush the passer. Smith could play in rotation and passing situations.

7: DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon 

DeAnthony Thomas is one of the most electrifying players in the draft. He can be described in one word playmaker you need to find ways to get DeAnthony the ball whether its runs, passes or kickoffs. The reason why i think he'd be available this late is because of his disappointing combine. His stock is falling very fast, but can still be a rea pickup.

Look at the Rough 2014 Lineup:

Luck/Hasselbeck

Richardson/Ballard/Thomas/Meggett

Havaili 

Wayne/Hilton/Rogers/Williams/Whalen/Brazil

Allen/Fleener/Cunningham

Costanzo/Linkenbach

Thomas/Louis/Rietz

Ditrich-Smith/Holmes

Jackson/Thorton/Allen

Cherlius/Nixon/Breckner

Redding/Mathews/Moala

Thomas/Hughes/McDough

RJF/Pitouita/Pendleton

Mathis/Worilds/Sidbury/Johnson

Dansby/Freeman/McNary/Mumba/Smith

Werner/Walden/Adongo/Hickman

Davis/Tillman/Butler/Jean-Babtiste/Price

Clements/Huff/Lynch

Laundry/Howell/Brown

Vaniterri/McAfee/Overton

Brazil/Thomas/Hilton/Whalen

Pagano/Hamilton/Manuscy

Thanks for reading Please share thoughts!

I like everything except Damian Williams. Dansby, Worilds, Clemons, and Tillman would really help our defense. I do think some of those guys will want more money than that though. All together I would be happy with this, I do want us to draft Moncrief though.

NOTE: I forgot about cap numbers so after the cuts, I had us pegged with 48.9M, and spending 40.2M leaving us with 8.7 for draft picks.

I like everything except Damian Williams. Dansby, Worilds, Clemons, and Tillman would really help our defense. I do think some of those guys will want more money than that though. All together I would be happy with this, I do want us to draft Moncrief though.

Thanks for the feed back. I like Moncrief too, it's just I had us taking CB in the 3rd as apposed to WR, so i though I'd give us Williams. What don't you like about him?

NOTE: I forgot about cap numbers so after the cuts, I had us pegged with 48.9M, and spending 40.2M leaving us with 8.7 for draft picks.

Thanks for the feed back. I like Moncrief too, it's just I had us taking CB in the 3rd as apposed to WR, so i though I'd give us Williams. What don't you like about him?

He has talent, had one decent year, but never really lived up to his potential. I just think we can get as much production from Brazil and Whalen than we could get from him.

There is no way any team will get Jason Worilds for $3 milllion per season. I am also not a fan of giving Dansby so much money over 3 years. I am not sold he has three good years left.

I do like the Vontae Davis contract. I think that is the perfect deal for both sides. It accounts for his inconsistency but compensates for his potential.

I also like Damien Williams from the Titans. He seems like an underrated guy who could step up when given the chance. If Eric Decker gets too expensive, I would turn my attention immediately to Williams.

Regarding the draft, Gabe Jackson seems like a Larry Warford type of guard that could drop even though he may be the 3rd best guard in the draft. I also like Telvin Smith, but I like him more as a strong safety in the Kam Chancellor mold. I doubt he makes it out of the 4th round though. Solid draft.

There is no way any team will get Jason Worilds for $3 milllion per season. I am also not a fan of giving Dansby so much money over 3 years. I am not sold he has three good years left.

I do like the Vontae Davis contract. I think that is the perfect deal for both sides. It accounts for his inconsistency but compensates for his potential.

I also like Damien Williams from the Titans. He seems like an underrated guy who could step up when given the chance. If Eric Decker gets too expensive, I would turn my attention immediately to Williams.

Regarding the draft, Gabe Jackson seems like a Larry Warford type of guard that could drop even though he may be the 3rd best guard in the draft. I also like Telvin Smith, but I like him more as a strong safety in the Kam Chancellor mold. I doubt he makes it out of the 4th round though. Solid draft.

I think the same thing about Telvin Smith, he will have to put on some weight to play LB in the NFL. I do think he has the athleticism and quickness to play safety too.

I'm not sure about Tillman.

Most of the other CB options are younger and will want long multi year deals, I think Tillman would settle for a 2yr. deal.

Absolutely love this tbh!

Thanks!

All in all I'd be pleased with this.

Thanks!

I think the same thing about Telvin Smith, he will have to put on some weight to play LB in the NFL. I do think he has the athleticism and quickness to play safety too.

Yeah, if he puts on some weight he could be a dangerous coverage linebacker.

Chapman?

forgot to add him, pretend hes there.

What type of contract would you give Worilds?

I like the mock but it's just too much money for one offseason. In a few years, we've got a lot of key players we need to retain, which I don't think would be possible with this kind of free agency.

Some true points here, but when you look at some of the facts, When cutting Toler it basically makes a 1M difference to the cap, also the cap is also going up 10M. But this is still true maintain skill within franchise as opposed to people in free agency who are effectively question marks.

I like the mock but it's just too much money for one offseason. In a few years, we've got a lot of key players we need to retain, which I don't think would be possible with this kind of free agency.

We will have some money coming off the books in the next few years. (Wayne, Redding, etc) and guys we can cut like Landry and Walden. With the Salary cap expected to go to 140-150, we can afford to spend pretty big, and still keep our guys in the next few years. We could also structure contracts in a way where guys like Dansby could be released after a year or two.

Id rather spend 9 mil a year and get a FS like Byrd rather than get Clemons for 4 years. And I don't think we need Tillman or Dansby. If we draft Baptiste, we'd be fine at corner with him and Davis and Butler in the slot.

So you think we're set a ILB? Thats true, But who knows how well Babtiste would play down the line.

ive liked us picking up damian Williams since the off season started Ive looked some stuff up on him they he can get open against the better cornerbacks in the NFL when given the chance and is really good getting out of his routes and he is a bigger receiver so he could add some size down in the redzone I will be upset if we way over spend for decker when damian Williams was right there and would probably put out the same production

Shields wants 7 million a year. Grimes is too short and is very inconsistent in man coverage.

Grimes has been in the NFL for 7 years now. Why do people still question his ability to play at 5'10"? Dude's been a beast pretty much his entire career at that height.

ive liked us picking up damian Williams since the off season started Ive looked some stuff up on him they he can get open against the better cornerbacks in the NFL when given the chance and is really good getting out of his routes and he is a bigger receiver so he could add some size down in the redzone I will be upset if we way over spend for decker when damian Williams was right there and would probably put out the same production

Yeah, Damian Williams is my favorite WR FA.

I really like drafting Gabe Jackson in the second round, we need someone that blows people off the line, signing a good center

also will make a huge difference along with Jackson and Dietrich-Smith is a good center. This would not only help the running game

and pass protection it would keep the defense off the field. I like Sam Shields better at corner, Karlos Dansby would help for sure

but for how long and for how much $$$. I don't think you'll get Worilds that cheap, Lamarr Houston would help a whole lot and

would be a punch em in the mouth player the Colts need. Good Job I'm sure no one will like everything you or anyone writes about

the Colts but youm sure nailed the fixes for the OLINE thats for sure.

Cuts:

Sampson Satele: Satele has underperformed his whole career with us, taking up 4M and Satele not being very good this is a no brainer cut.

Greg Toler: Greg has only played one year with us, which is why it might be a bit early to pull the plug, but his 2013 campaign was mostly injured, this position can be improved apon and could definitely move us from contenders to favorites. Frees up 4M

Weslye Saunders: We have better, younger options at TE. Saves 750K

Kelvin Sheppard: Sheppard hasn't played well so far in his career not in Buffalo, nor with us. With the signing of Mumba that could be the end of Sheppard. Saves 1.7M

Mario Harvey: Harvey down right sucks, look at the game tape from San Deigo. Better options at LB Saves 500k

I'd keep Toler for at least 1 more year. He's signed and we definitely have the cap space to pay him. I wouldn't necessarily cut Sheppard but I would make him earn his roster spot.

Resignings:

Vontae Davis CB 5yr. 35M- 7M/yr: 

Vontae has stepped up and played as one of our best Defensive players, a must keep franchise stepping stone type player, worth the money.

Pat McAfee P 5yr. 12.5M- 2.5M/yr:

Pat Has turned into a Defensive player, his booming kicks. Big deal to get him back, worth the money.

Adam Vaniterri K 1yr. 2.2M- 2.2M/yr: 

Adam, although 40 still is extremely consistent and should be brought back for another year.

Fili Moala DE 2yr. 1.5M- 750K/yr:

Fili provides depth on the D-line, you can never have enough depth.

Sergio Brown ST/S 3yr 2.4M- 800K.yr:

Sergio has turned into a real beast on special teams, it seems like every game we see Sergio fielding a punt inside the 5, or just making a play.

Lawerence Sidbury OLB 1yr. 500K- 500/yr:

Lawerence spend the whole year on IR, tore his ACL last year, but I really like Lawernce he can provide depth and pass rush when needed.

Joe Rietz (RFA) OG/OT

Not quite sure what the cap number is for this but I'd like to bring Joe back.

Cam Johnson (ERFA) LB/ST

Same with ERFA not sure about the cap number, but I'd like to bring back Cam.

Ok, so Toler should be cut for injuries but Sidbury should be re-signed who didn't play 1 down? The inconsistency aside I'm actually in favor of signing him for another prove it contract just for the chance he can get on the field and pressure the QB opposite Mathis.

I've read this forum for quite (and a fan since they moved from Baltimore) awhile and I know everybody loves Pat McAfee but he had a down year last year. I'm not against re-signing him but for 5 years?

Everyone else on here I agree with, especially Moala. Kudos for including him, most people forget about him.

Free Agents:

Karlos Dansby ILB 3yr. 19.5M- 6.5M/yr:

Dansby is great in coverage, and above solid against the run. Dansby would be a great veteran addition to our defense and help us solidify it and take our team to the next level.

Charles Tillman CB 2yr. 10M- 5M/yr:

After cutting Greg it leaves a hole at #2 CB. Tillman is perfect because we could lock him up for 2 years whie we draft a corner and let him develop into a #2. Tillman is a large upgrade on our defense overall.

Evan Ditrich-Smith C 4yr. 20M- 5M/yr:

Ditrich-Smith is one of 3 elite centers in this free agent class and quite frankly my favorite, Mack will just be too expensive, and Ditrich-Smith is a great addition that would help solitify our OL.

Chris Clements S 4 yr. 18M- 4.5M/yr:

Clements would be a great plug and play beside Laundry while we have a younger player learning under him, in 2 years we can evaluate Laundry and either let him go if he busts, and give the player a chance, or keep Laundry and have depth.

Jason Worilds OLB 4yr. 12M- 3M/yr:

Worilds provides depth and pass rush at OLB. You can never have to many pass rushers so Worilds would be a great rotational pash rusher.

Damian Williams WR 3yr. 2.4M- 800K/yr:

My favorite WR in this free agent class, he's a cheaper option that never got a chance to prove himself. He is a great athlete and could flourish in a rotation with Rogers, Whalen, and Brazil.

Cam Thomas NT 3yr. 2.1M- 750K/yr:

Thomas is a cheap option for a short-term nose tackle as we can devolpe a NT from the draft. While in the short term playin Thomas in DL rotation.

Rapoti Pitoitua DE 2yr. 2M- 1M/yr:

Rapoti could be a depth player on the DL. In rotation our DL could take off with the amount of depth and fresh bodies we'd be able to maintain.

No way would Worilds sign for that little. Plus I think he'll want to be guaranteed a starting position.

Draft:

2: Gabe Jackson OG Mississippi St.

Jackson could step in and start from day 1 at RG, Jackson is a great run blocker and a decent pass protector. This could be the final piece of the puzzle that solidifies our OL for years to come.

3: Stanly Jean-Babtiste CB Nebraska

A big Corner that we could have sit and learn from Charles (Tillman) and eventually play the #2 corner and solidify our Defensive backfield. Babtiste is a big corner at 6-2 that is great at press coverage.

5: Marquiston Huff S Wyoming 

Huff finds his way to the ball and is very fast, Huff like Babtiste could take a few years to learn and eventually turn into a starter down the line. Huff is a gifted athlete.

6: Telvin Smith ILB FSU

Smith is one of my favorite prospects in this years draft. He ran a 4.52 (Second fastest of all LB's at the combine) He plays fast and is a prototype Coverage LB that can also rush the passer. Smith could play in rotation and passing situations.

7: DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon 

DeAnthony Thomas is one of the most electrifying players in the draft. He can be described in one word playmaker you need to find ways to get DeAnthony the ball whether its runs, passes or kickoffs. The reason why i think he'd be available this late is because of his disappointing combine. His stock is falling very fast, but can still be a rea pickup.

Smith is an OLB or even Safety, not an ILB

Look at the Rough 2014 Lineup:

Luck/Hasselbeck

Richardson/Ballard/Thomas/Meggett

Havaili 

Wayne/Hilton/Rogers/Williams/Whalen/Brazil

Allen/Fleener/Cunningham

Costanzo/Linkenbach

Thomas/Louis/Rietz

Ditrich-Smith/Holmes

Jackson/Thorton/Allen

Cherlius/Nixon/Breckner

Redding/Mathews/Moala

Thomas/Hughes/McDough

RJF/Pitouita/Pendleton

Mathis/Worilds/Sidbury/Johnson

Dansby/Freeman/McNary/Mumba/Smith

Werner/Walden/Adongo/Hickman

Davis/Tillman/Butler/Jean-Babtiste/Price

Clements/Huff/Lynch

Laundry/Howell/Brown

Vaniterri/McAfee/Overton

Brazil/Thomas/Hilton/Whalen

Pagano/Hamilton/Manuscy

Thanks for reading Please share thoughts!

Overall this is pretty good, IMO. I think if we got Worilds we wouldn't need to take a flyer on Sidbury though. Offensive line should be much improved and run defense should be better. Our 2 biggest needs IMO.

Ok, so Toler should be cut for injuries but Sidbury should be re-signed who didn't play 1 down? The inconsistency aside I'm actually in favor of signing him for another prove it contract just for the chance he can get on the field and pressure the QB opposite Mathis.

Special teams.  He was a key cog in some of our landmark wins this year.  Don't think we'd be signing him at $800K a year to fill a starter role. 

The difference being that Sidbury isn't making anywhere near the amount Toler is making and we don't have to rely on him (Sidbury) as a starter. 

Special teams.  He was a key cog in some of our landmark wins this year.  Don't think we'd be signing him at $800K a year to fill a starter role. 

He didn't play a down for us let alone help with any wins.

He didn't play a down for us let alone help with any wins.

Sergio has been a bright spot on S/T all year.  His most infamous game was against Denver.  He recovered a fumble caused by Havili on S/T and took it in for 6.  He also had 2 or 3 times where he beat the gunner down the field and downed the ball inside the 5.  He's got all in all, 2 fumble recoveries, a blocked kick, and a blocked punt.  For a guy who only sees the field a handful of times, he was a game changer on special teams.

Oh, and he did see some time at SS this year after both Landry and Howell were out with injuries.

Sergio has been a bright spot on S/T all year.  His most infamous game was against Denver.  He recovered a fumble caused by Havili on S/T and took it in for 6.  He also had 2 or 3 times where he beat the gunner down the field and downed the ball inside the 5.  He's got all in all, 2 fumble recoveries, a blocked kick, and a blocked punt.  For a guy who only sees the field a handful of times, he was a game changer on special teams.

Oh, and he did see some time at SS this year after both Landry and Howell were out with injuries.

We were talking about Sidbury though. I'm in agreement with Sergio, we need him. Plus, he got robbed and should have gone to Hawaii last year.

We were talking about Sidbury though. I'm in agreement with Sergio, we need him. Plus, he got robbed and should have gone to Hawaii last year.

Ah, that was my misunderstanding.  The whole time I was like, "dude, really?"  I agree about Sergio in the pro bowl.  But S/T are often thankless jobs.  As far as Sidbury, yeah, let him go. 

Depth, nothing wrong with keeping Sidbury for 500K, Toler though is a 4m hit.