Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cleveland Browns have the potential to be SCARY good Super Bowl contender NEXT year..

jshipp23

A lot of division winners in the NFL could finish last in NFC West...That's a brilliant assessment ...smh..Right now they have a top 10 defense, great offensive line, best receiver in football, and a good young TE and I think Pettine is going to be a good coach especially for that defense...They are a RB, WR, backup QB from being very good next year and they have the $$$$ and draft picks to do much more than that....This DUDE..smh

The "best" receiver in football? Really? Did they somehow obtain Calvin Johnson when I wasn't looking?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the backup QB look what happened when Hoyer went down...Whether Hoyer is the starter or backup to a rookie or cousin's that's important no Brandon Weedon...Yes Gordon is better than Calvin at this moment Calvin is still Top 3 , but slowing down a little bit ..

Some issues I saw...trade scenerios are HIGHLY unlikely...AP trade would have to net the Vikings a boat load of picks...plus his cap number is pretty high. Mcfadden is FA...they can sign him outright.

They also have to extend Hayden and that is priority #1 to them. To extend him and they have a couple others that could be reworked, tag Ward and pay Mack add two first rd contracts plus rest of rookie class they will be close to maxed out...no way they can bring in all those names you are mentioning. I look for them to draft the best qb available to them and draft a wr with our pick and look at rb/cb early in the second with their 2nd rd pick as long as they resign Mack and Ward. They have built up talent but they have some people to extend as well...I do think they will definately target offensive skilled players in the draft though. That cap space is going to go quick..the guys they have..are the biggest names on the market...look for Oakland and Jacksonville etc to push up their asking price. They will definately be improved but they aren't any better than Cincy...who is the cream of that division even with Dalton at qb.

Talent wise with there cap and all those picks they aren't very far A.M...Argueably more talent then any team not named a Indy, NE, or Denver especially if they make the right moves they are for sure in the playoff conversation, maybe not super bowl contenders yet..

Yes, I do like their team and Hoyer too assuming he is the starter. They are not far away if they have the right personnel guys and HC.

Cap is gonna be up 7 mill..Extending Hayden won't count this year anyway..They'll have 18 mill max into Mack and Ward leaving them still with around 30 mill to play with including draft...They are sitting pretty and the draft is deep..2 1st and 2 4th round picka..

Resign

Mack

Ward

Sign

Ben Tate

Could add a G too

Draft

1st Watkins

Dennard

2nd LB or S or Dline

3rd trade to Redskins for Cousins

I agree with most of what you say CF12, but if I'm Houston, I'm not letting Ben Tate go. Besides, why subject him to the habitual train wreck known as the Cleveland Browns? 

I don't hate the Browns; they just have to prove to me me that they can compete for a division title. Translation: Cleveland has no shot at a title with the Ravens & Steelers in the AFC North. 

Stick a fork in the Browns...They are burned beyond recognition to me. I do not fear that squad at all. 

I agree with most of what you say CF12, but if I'm Houston, I'm not letting Ben Tate go. Besides, why subject him to the habitual train wreck known as the Cleveland Browns? 

I don't hate the Browns; they just have to prove to me me that they can compete for a division title. Translation: Cleveland has no shot at a title with the Ravens & Steelers in AFC North. 

Stick a fork in the Browns...They are burned beyond recognition to me. I do not fear that squad at all

Not to mention Cincinatti, since they won the division last year...

With that said, I think Cleveland could easily pull some "upsets", it seems like the AFC North could go through a few years of good competition with all of the teams being fairly competitive, at least within the division, & jockeying for the top spot in the division...

Not to mention Cincinatti, since they won the division last year...

With that said, I think Cleveland could easily pull some "upsets", it seems like the AFC North could go through a few years of good competition with all of the teams being fairly competitive, at least within the division, & jockeying for the top spot in the division...

Yeah, I could see that Buck. Just when I am about the Browns off, they play like gang busters. Too inconsistent though, but I blame that on the frequent coaching turnover merry go round more than anything else.

It's like a psychotic, front office ferris wheel that never stops. No one can step off, they just hurl...Or it that just their NFL fanbase?  :P Sorry my bad. 

The Cleveland Browns have as much of a chance to make a Super Bowl run as the Jacksonville Jaguars, Oakland Raiders or Buffalo Bills. They will be a cellar dweller again next season.

Yeah this.

Cleveland excels at one thing, and one thing only.  Sadness.

Yeah the backup QB look what happened when Hoyer went down...Whether Hoyer is the starter or backup to a rookie or cousin's that's important no Brandon Weedon...Yes Gordon is better than Calvin at this moment Calvin is still Top 3 , but slowing down a little bit ..

Look, I respect everyone's opinion on here, save for a small select group of people, but you're flirting the line here.  I assume you mean Megatron, because it's the only other Calvin WR that I know of.  So assuming you mean Calvin Johnson, Calvin is one of about 2 or 3 people that can challenge Jerry Rice as the best WR ever...Josh Gordon isn't one of those 2 or 3 and has about a decade to go, so lets at least act like we're discussing rationally.

If you don't mean Calvin Johnson, disregard everything I said and accept my apologies.

Yeah this.

Cleveland excels at one thing, and one thing only.  Sadness.

To be fair, they've been on the wrong end of a lot of bad breaks.  From about 97 to 08, yeah...they've sucked.  They're trying to turn things around, but they've either failed in one aspect or another, or they've shot themselves in the foot.  Not too different from the Colts post Johnny U until 98.  I sympathize with the Browns, even if I don't understand their fans.

Ever watched the colts?

The Colts have had a track record of success for the last 15+ years and stability. Their FO change 2011 made perfect sense given the state of the team and the Andrew Luck pick. The Browns have a history of losing that is largely based on their instability of their FO which starts with the owner.

I have a tough time betting on any team to be successful that just blew up its entire FO. It starts from the top down.

The Colts have had a track record of success for the last 15+ years and stability. Their FO change 2011 made perfect sense given the state of the team and the Andrew Luck pick. The Browns have a history of losing that is largely based on their instability of their FO which starts with the owner.

also what did the colts previous success have to do with the success experienced under the new regime or the success of the FO? Ryan grigson has had two 11-5 winning seasons and it has had very little to nothing to do with the success experienced under the old regime. i still have no idea why you chose to post that second post makes no sense. you said ANY team that guts the front office you wouldnt expect to have success then respond like the colts are some obvious exception to this rule, but they were probably in a WORSE position than the browns no regime is in as far as talent and personell. Now if Grigson  had inherited manning, harrison, edge, tarik glenn etc i could see where you were coming from. 

also what did the colts previous success have to do with the success experienced under the new regime or the success of the FO? Ryan grigson has had two 11-5 winning seasons and it has had very little to nothing to do with the success experienced under the old regime. i still have no idea why you chose to post that second post makes no sense. you said ANY team that guts the front office you wouldnt expect to have success then respond like the colts are some obvious exception to this rule, but they were probably in a WORSE position than the browns no regime is in as far as talent and personell. Now if Grigson  had inherited manning, harrison, edge, tarik glenn etc i could see where you were coming from. 

I am not sure what you are getting at. The theme of this thread was the Browns being a contender for the Super Bowl. I was not just basing my opinion on their current situation where they blew up their FO after one year but their history of poor mgmt. decisions and contrasting that to the Colts. Every org eventually changes their FO but the Colts did not bring in Grigson and company and then fire everyone after one year. It was obvious that the Polian regime has run its course and that Irsay wanted to head in a new direction with Luck and Grigson. No one was looking at the Colts as a legit contender for the SB in 2012 as well but they surprised everyone with a team that played above its talent level. And that is the point I was making, it is very difficult for a team to completely turn over their FO and then contend for the SB the following season and the Browns have continually made poor mgmt. decisions making them even more of a long shot IMO.

I am not sure what you are getting at. The theme of this thread was the Browns being a contender for the Super Bowl. I was not just basing my opinion on their current situation where they blew up their FO after one year but their history of poor mgmt. decisions and contrasting that to the Colts. Every org eventually changes their FO but the Colts did not bring in Grigson and company and then fire everyone after one year. It was obvious that the Polian regime has run its course and that Irsay wanted to head in a new direction with Luck and Grigson. No one was looking at the Colts as a legit contender for the SB in 2012 as well but they surprised everyone with a team that played above its talent level. And that is the point I was making, it is very difficult for a team to completely turn over their FO and then contend for the SB the following season and the Browns have continually made poor mgmt. decisions making them even more of a long shot IMO.

I don't understand why you felt the need to compare and contrast the browns vs colts fo, you said you didn't think a team could be successful that guts it's front office , I said the colts obviously had success after "gutting" the fo.

I don't understand why you felt the need to compare and contrast the browns vs colts fo, you said you didn't think a team could be successful that guts it's front office , I said the colts obviously had success after "gutting" the fo.

I didn't compare the Colts. You brought them up. The point still stands. I would not have bet on the Colts either in 2012 to be a SB contender as they were expected to win only a handful of games that season after blowing up their FO and going 2-14 the previous season. By everyone's standards they over achieved.

I didn't compare the Colts. You brought them up. The point still stands. I would not have bet on the Colts either in 2012 to be a SB contender as they were expected to win only a handful of games that season after blowing up their FO and going 2-14 the previous season. By everyone's standards they over achieved.

Exactly I wouldn't count out any team that blows up their fo as a result unlike you

Exactly I wouldn't count out any team that blows up their fo as a result unlike you

Ok. So we have different opinions. And again this thread was about the Browns which I would not bet on in any season.

I don't believe there has ever been a team that has won the SB after blowing up their FO but I will research it and get back to you if I find one.

Ok. So we have different opinions. And again this thread was about the Browns which I would not bet on in any season.

I don't believe there has ever been a team that has won the SB after blowing up their FO but I will research it and get back to you if I find one.

Bill polliAn with the bills and panthers