Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin Harrison nor Tony Dungy elected to HOF class of 2014 [Merge]

MTC

Deserving for all, but Marvin really should have made it.  2nd best receiver of all time, in my opinion, and best route runner of all time (keep in mind my opinions are very ignorant since I did not get to see greats like Don Hutson play).  I'll take him over an on-and-off effort with Moss, a potential locker room cancer in TO, even Cris Carter. 

Reed has been waiting a long time, and deserves it, even though Marvin's stats were better..Williams and Strahan. I think Marvin got snubbed due to him never "Ofiicially" retiring, and the gun incident may have swayed a few votes. Dungy, though a great coach, I don't feel he did enough as a Head coach to be considered at all, because of the length of his HC experiee.

Reed has been waiting a long time, and deserves it, even though Marvin's stats were better..Williams and Strahan. I think Marvin got snubbed due to him never "Ofiicially" retiring, and the gun incident may have swayed a few votes. Dungy, though a great coach, I don't feel he did enough as a Head coach to be considered at all, because of the length of his HC experiee.

That's the main reason why he didn't get in, IMO.

Deserving for all, but Marvin really should have made it. 2nd best receiver of all time, in my opinion, and best route runner of all time (keep in mind my opinions are very ignorant since I did not get to see greats like Don Hutson play). I'll take him over an on-and-off effort with Moss, a potential locker room cancer in TO, even Cris Carter.

It's not your opinion. It's fact. Stats don't lie. He's getting snubbed because he's quiet and played in Indy. The MLB HOF is just as of a joke. You play for the Yankees and are average, you get in.

Marvin will be in eventually, but not being first ballot is a joke.

It's not your opinion. It's fact. Stats don't lie. He's getting snubbed because he's quiet and played in Indy. The MLB HOF is just as of a joke. You play for the Yankees and are average, you get in.

Which "average" yankees player has gotten into the HOF?

Marvin has never been charged with a crime, so it should have little to no bearing.

That's too bad. If one is better than the other, the better one should make it. I don't think Reed is really deserving anyway.

Reed played 16 years 951 receptions, 13,981 yards, 13.9 ypr, and 87 TD's 378 of those receptions were for first downs.

He also rushed 75 times for 500 yards and 1 TD. 25 of those rushes went for 1st downs.

He also helped lead his team to 4 straight Super Bowls, and was a 7 time Pro Bowler..

Is that deserving enough for you?

Marvin has never been charged with a crime, so it should have little to no bearing.

I agree, but when someone is falsely accused, some people will believe it, no matter if proven innocent, and it tarnished his reputation slightly. Looks like enough so not to get in first ballot. Also, he was very quiet towards the media, so that could have an effect as well. He'll get in soon though.

Reed played 16 years 951 receptions, 13,981 yards, 13.9 ypr, and 87 TD's 378 of those receptions were for first downs.

He also rushed 75 times for 500 yards and 1 TD. 25 of those rushes went for 1st downs.

He also helped lead his team to 4 straight Super Bowls, and was a 7 time Pro Bowler..

Is that deserving enough for you?

Eh. Still borderline for me, but he should never be in before Marvin.

1) Yay for Ray Guy.  Awesome.  Been pulling for him for years.

2) Apparently Reed waited long enough to get in over Harrison, but not over Cris Carter last year.  Weak.

3) Tony Dungy's not getting in on his current accomplishments unless it's an incredibly weak class.

Looks like Ray Guy got in! Glad to see it - about freaking time. First punter ever, and he was special.

I agree about Reed and Dungy. While I'm very disappointed about Marv, it happens all the time. I'm confident that he will get in eventually.  Reed getting in actually encourages that thought. Worst case scenario I suspect that he would get "swept in" with Peyton when he is elected.

Why would not "officially retiring" have an impact?

I continually :scratch:  about the Indy centric paranoia, insecurity and self-pity often displayed on this site. The NFL knows who Marvin Harrison is, and Seattle, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Buffalo,  Atlanta and St Louis weren't part of the north-east mega-market either the last time that I looked. Seattle is riding their "we are forgotten here all alone in the upper left corner" nonsense all the way to the SB. That didn't stop Walter Jones from getting in on the first ballot. I imagine that I saw him play a couple of times but I can't say that I noticed. Indy on the other hand was one of the most televised and fawned over teams for most of Harrison's career. They only let so many people in each year. Perhaps voters simply thought that Jones was a better LT than Marv was a WR. I don't know enough to argue the point, and neither do you.

The Yankees (well, their fans mostly) often annoy me, but their secret to success is being able to afford the best players. They win a lot, and then those players often then make the hall. That doesn't mean that they are "average". And that's in a league where the size of the market makes a huge difference in the amount of airplay that you get. The NFL hasn't been like that in a very long time.