Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts Are In Fact Tanking...

BIGugly

You and I know that Caldwell and his staff is the worst coaching staff in the NFL.

You and I know that Irsay and Polian know what they are doing.

I know that they are "tanking" the season by keeping this staff intact until the season is over, thereby quaranteeing the first pick in the draft without any heat on themseleves. And now you know, too.

Talk about unethical......

Edited by BIGugly

I don't think they're tanking, they're just really bad!

Can you imagine the likes of Saturday and Brackett allowing the owners dictate to the players that they must lose every week?!

Look at effort put in by the likes of Saturday and Angerer every week, that would be non existant if they were purposely tanking!

Oh no, no, no. Not suggesting they are coaching to tank. What I'm trying to say is that they are so inept at coaching this team that Irsay and Polian know they will not be able to coach a win. Therefore, by keeping them intact they insure the first pick and take very little blame themselves. After all it will be the coaching staff that they just fired (in February) that was the problem....

You and I know that Caldwell and his staff is the worst coaching staff in the NFL.

I know that they are "tanking" the season by keeping this staff intact until the season is over, thereby quaranteeing the first pick in the draft without any heat on themseleves. And now you know, too.

Actually I know nothing of the sort.

Yes, I am sure Bill Polian and Jim Irsay got together and decided..."you know, we have won for a decade, let's just see if we can lose every game this year. I mean, Peyton is out, so let's just lose." That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. The Pacers are an example of what happens when you lose in this city. You go from being important to not being able to give away a ticket. There is no way they want to lose. Nothing sells more Superbowl's in the future like going 0-16.

They are just genuinely terrible. They can't tackle, the can't defend, the can't pass block, they can't run block...they just stink. Their coaching staff is rotten. Nice guys, but terrible coaches. My hope is that they can the coaching staff in 9 weeks.

Can you imagine the likes of Saturday and Brackett allowing the owners dictate to the players that they must lose every week?! Look at effort put in by the likes of Saturday and Angerer every week, that would be non existant if they were purposely tanking!

Not intentionally of course. This is NFL, if you do not fully commit yourself to play a game, you loose even more miserably than that 62:7.

But looking at the WR corp and Clark, it's obvious that they are not at their 100%. In fact far from it. And it's not just Clark being rusty after an injury season. It's the team, who has completely given up on this season. Both the players and the coaching staff are in training mode now. We are preparing for the offseason and the draft by trying to figure out who will leave and who can stay.

Actually, i'm in the "go for the first draft pick" bandwagon now too. This season is done, period. For me there is no difference between finishing 11:5 and missing the playoffs and finishing 0:16 and missing the playoffs. Especially this year. The next draft's 1/1 pick is so rare, that either we keep Luck or trade him, it will hopefully give a big boost to our team for the upcoming years.

Yes, I am sure Bill Polian and Jim Irsay got together and decided..."you know, we have won for a decade, let's just see if we can lose every game this year. I mean, Peyton is out, so let's just lose." That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. The Pacers are an example of what happens when you lose in this city. You go from being important to not being able to give away a ticket. There is no way they want to lose. Nothing sells more Superbowl's in the future like going 0-16.

They are just genuinely terrible. They can't tackle, the can't defend, the can't pass block, they can't run block...they just stink. Their coaching staff is rotten. Nice guys, but terrible coaches. My hope is that they can the coaching staff in 9 weeks.

Hey at least that means I may see them at Wembley one day!

Exactly the point. They get canned in February, take all the blame, we get high pick to do with as we choose, and Ford's in his Flivver and all is well with the world.

(no, do not think this decision was made before the season started, c'mon, man)

Tin+Hat+news.jpg

You

Are

Over

Thinking

This

We suck, that is why we suck. We do not suck by design. We don't don't suck for Luck, we suck because suck.

I don't think any of it is intentional on Irsay or Polian's part.

Prior to 2006, the Colts probably could've mustered up a 6-10 or 7-9 record under these circumstances....with guys like Edge, Harrison, Reggie, Freeney, Mathis and Saturday in their prime and Tarik Glenn and Jake Scott still in town.

But now?

This team is just plain lousy.... because the "pass-first / take the lead / protect the lead" roster blueprint and the players acquired for that design since 2007.... rendered us one Peyton Manning injury away from that reality.

We just didn't believe it until now.

If they were tanking, some player or coach would be disgusted by the idea and it would have been made public in a heartbeat.

There's no way anyone could get away with that at the FO level.

Yes....and we'd take an absolute beating from the league office in lost draft picks.

Yes....and we'd take an absolute beating from the league office in lost draft picks.

Missed the point. No changes with this staff is the point. I'm sure they haven't said it even to each other. But their (Polian and Irsay) actions belie there words. "Baffled". Yeah, right.

+1 kind sir.Your words are sooooooooooo true.

If both Colts and Dolphins end up winless, who take an edge in the draft?? What is the the tie-break?

As of now, the Phins would get Luck (heard that this morning). Its done on the strength of schedule. i.e. If the Phins opponents have a better W/L record than the Colts, than the Phins get the tie breaker. If that is a tie, they default to a coin-flip.

As of now, the Phins would get Luck (heard that this morning). Its done on the strength of schedule. i.e. If the Phins opponents have a better W/L record than the Colts, than the Phins get the tie breaker. If that is a tie, they default to a coin-flip.

Is there anything we can do to help them win a game? :-) We do lose for a larger margin, when will that be counted? :-)

After watching the kid's game on Saturday, I think it will worth to get him. 3 over time and win at USC... The kid does have the skills and he has one thing that Manning may not have - luck...

Is there anything we can do to help them win a game? :-)

Bash Tom Brady's shins with a crowbar?

We do lose for a larger margin, when will that be counted? :-)

Unfortunately, that doesn't count.

Good news is, the Phins have shown signs of late, while we seem to be getting farther from our goal of winning, or even competing.

Why does the blame always seem to go to the coaching first? Yes we suck but we would probably still somewhat suck with a different coach right now because of personnel. Who put this team together? That's where most of the blame should go but a lot of people always give him a pass because he's considered some kind of guru or something. I sound like a broken record at times but if we get a change I want a change all the way up. That may be the only way we will see a completely different defensive strategy.

Unfortunately, that doesn't count.

Good news is, the Phins have shown signs of late, while we seem to be getting farther from our goal of winning, or even competing.

Nice! As far as the season is over at 0-8, we should get some 1st pick in return. This year's #1 pick should have a large value margin than other years', which should give us plenty of flexibility for taking Luck or trade.

But if Manning does come back the last two games, he may easily ruin the entire plan. We may easily win Houston as they are resting for playoff, and blow out the Jags since they are thay bad...

Nice! As far as the season is over at 0-8, we should get some 1st pick in return. This year's #1 pick should have a large value margin than other years', which should give us plenty of flexibility for taking Luck or trade.

But if Manning does come back the last two games, he may easily ruin the entire plan. We may easily win Houston as they are resting for playoff, and blow out the Jags since they are thay bad...

The only prudence to "tanking" would be as follows;

The last few games of the year a team sees a need or a player they desire that is perceived as the #1 overall. The team cannot within the rules, or any semblance of professionalism, ask players to run slow, drop passes, or otherwise purposely play to lose. Nor would the players comply, as their livelihoods depend on performance. If a front office decided to "tank", they would simply play their worst players under the guise of "giving them evaluation" knowing this provides them their best opportunity to lose.

The last few games of the year a team sees a need or a player they desire that is perceived as the #1 overall. The team cannot within the rules, or any semblance of professionalism, ask players to run slow, drop passes, or otherwise purposely play to lose. Nor would the players comply, as their livelihoods depend on performance. If a front office decided to "tank", they would simply play their worst players under the guise of "giving them evaluation" knowing this provides them their best opportunity to lose.

^This and I'll add the FO has to be very secretive to get away with it....

Although I don't doubt that what you posted above is true, it seems counter intuitive to me. It would seem that if the Colts lost all their games to easier competition then that would show that they suck more than the Dolphins who are also losing all their games but to slightly better opponents. Thus it would seem that the Colts should merit the first pick. In other words, strength of schedule should work in reverse in this case. We aren't talking a playoff spot here, we're talking about the dubius distinction of being the worst team in the NFL (1st pick).

Edited by Coltsman1788

Although I don't doubt that what you posted above is true, it seems counter intuitive to me. It would seem that if the Colts lost all their games to easier competition then that would show that they suck more than the Dolphins who are also losing all their games but to slightly better opponents. Thus it would seem that the Colts should merit the first pick. In other words, strength of schedule should work in reverse in this case. We aren't talking a playoff spot here, we're talking about the dubius distinction of being the worst team in the NFL (1st pick).

Yep, I'd edit my response but it's too late. You called it correctly. I had it backward....posting while distracted, thats my excuse.

Coaches and players not involved in directly tanking. Polian and Irsay, by not replacing this staff that they have every reason to believe will not succeed, will achieve the desired goal of losing because they are inept and have simply been kept in place.