Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We sure are talking to a lot of early-round OLB prospects

No reason to play games when your first pick is a late 2nd rounder!  I'm guessing we're doing our due diligence because we are interested in going that way in the 2nd round.  We've interviewed Dee Ford (Auburn), Adrian Hubbard (Alabama), Marcus Smith (Louisville), and Michael Sam (Missouri).  Maybe Bjoern Werner and Michael Sam form our OLB corps-of-the-future...?

Michael Sam?  Is it safe to say he would be our Sam Linebacker?  OK...being the DE type I know he 'Will...maybe?  Of course his name is MIKE. 

OK...I am done with the LB jokes...for now of course :)

Sam has struggled a bit at the OLB position so far in Senior Bowl workouts and such, but I like his 260lb frame!!

I don't think will draft a OLB early when we have Mathis, Werner, and Walden. Dee Ford has been one of the best players at the Senior Bowl so his stock is high, more likely to go early 2nd. Michael Sam struggled in space trying to play OLB, he's a DE in a 4-3 . Hubbard could be a guy we go after if he falls to the 5th but he'll probably go before that. We can wait a year before we draft a OLB there are bigger needs on the team.

I don't think will draft a OLB early when we have Mathis, Werner, and Walden. Dee Ford has been one of the best players at the Senior Bowl so his stock is high, more likely to go early 2nd. Michael Sam struggled in space trying to play OLB, he's a DE in a 4-3 . Hubbard could be a guy we go after if he falls to the 5th but he'll probably go before that. We can wait a year before we draft a OLB there are bigger needs on the team.

Except Walden sucks.

What do you have if Mathis goes down?

Pass rushers develope so drafting one now makes great sense. One of SEVERAL Big Needs on D.
Werner is not THAT Athlete so i have No Expectation he will be anything close to a double digit sack man UNLESS we have a GREAT Secondary for Coverage sacks. lol

Adrian Hubbard out of that bunch gets my vote if we go that route, Disciplined in containment, strong with long arms, Quick but not elite or consistent first step, Needs to improve hand use in pass rushing, Has experience as standing up and in 3 point stance at both OLB spots, Also has some experience in coverage, Maybe Marcus Smith, Ford is suited for 4-3 or at best 3-4 situational pass rusher in my opinion at least at first

Guest TeamLoloJones

Except Walden sucks.

Walden exceeded everyones expectations this season.  And still this is the crap that gets thrown at his name.  I'm proud of Walden.

Walden exceeded everyones expectations this season.  And still this is the crap that gets thrown at his name.  I'm proud of Walden.

Meh, I wouldn't quite go that far (my opinion of course) . I think pretty well lived up to as advertised, Not a real good pass rusher (not completely awful either) whos strong suit is run contain

Guest TeamLoloJones

Meh, I wouldn't quite go that far (my opinion of course) . I think pretty well lived up to as advertised, Not a real good pass rusher (not completely awful either) whos strong suit is run contain

He (and Grigson) were getting so much hate when he was signed, but the truth of the matter is...Walden was arguably our second best free agent acquisition behind Cherilus.  Thomas, Bradshaw, Toler, Landry, and RJF all missed significant time, Franklin was a non factor, and DHB was a big let down.

Except Walden sucks.

Incredibly insightful...

I thought you knew a little more than that james...

I think some Walden haters actually listened to what setting the edge and contain meant....and stopped the hate.  Walden played extremely hard, and improved his 'disruption of the QB.'  Bottom line is...some found out just how good he was when he was suspended a game.  C'Mon Man... :)

Well, it certainly seems that Dee Ford has elevated himself too far (probably easily into the 1st), and Hubbard is falling.  But Michael Sam or Marcus Smith might be perfect Mathis understudies.  Our system doesn't even work in theory without stud OLBs, so this is an area we can't go happily forward with a 33 y.o. rush LB for very long...

'Some' said he was the worst linebacker in the league based on one Kaep run against the Packers the previous season.  Walden continued to improve with us all year and had some monster plays at the right time in some close games.

'Some' said he was the worst linebacker in the league based on one Kaep run against the Packers the previous season.  Walden continued to improve with us all year and had some monster plays at the right time in some close games.

I think he is serviceable, Not great, Not bad, could definitly be upgraded at some point and probably will but for his role he was alright, could be much better

I think he is serviceable, Not great, Not bad, could definitly be upgraded at some point and probably will but for his role he was alright, could be much better

I agree as with anyone they can get better.  Grigson and Pags love his tenacity.  I do not know how many times I have read it.  They were happy with his play.  I thought he improved immeasurably!!

An OLB I have my eye on is Carl Bradford.  He can rush the passer and drop into coverage.  We have to plan for a future replacement for Mathis.  Werner and Bradford would give us a little punch.  I agree with those who say Walden is playing well.  He got to Brady.  Werner is going to have to take the spot away from Walden.  Trent Murphy will be gone.  Trevor Reilly should be gone too.  A lot of good value at OLB in the second round.  Jeremiah Attaochu might be interesting as well.

Attaochu, Van Noy, Adrian Hubbart, are a few I have my eye on...Also I know this is just Walter Football but this is at least a list of most (27) of teams and the players those teams have supposedly met with.......Our list is comparatively short to some for whatever reason but some teams have supposedly met with less  http://walterfootball.com/draft2014meetingsteams.php

If there is an impactful pass rusher I will be all for that but honestly we can't ignore our OL needs. We were poor up the middle not just pass protection but getting our running game going. Also Constanzo is a free agent next year and it would be nice to have a guy to develope incase someone goes down...and if they are good and we are healthy move them inside. There is always a need for pass rushers but given where our pick is...I'd lean more to a someone on the OL making a difference for us or a safety rather than a pass rusher. I feel like skilled positions can be developed so no wrs....we've been able to bring along TY and Brazill and Whalen...and if Rogers continues a long we should be fine.....we aren't trying to be the 2005 Colts anyways...we need to run the ball and play defense....so help in the trenches please.