Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

o-line needs

OLD FAN MAN

[Citation needed]

Im calling nonsense because Cherilus was signed very early in FA.

No not all all. When we couldn't sign a LT then G.Cherilus was signed. But like I said can't wait until next season. I was dead on about us coming back in KC game when about 97% of you said we'd lose. I was right about Andrew Lucks first season record. Go look at my past post. I'll be right about AC next season, unless DT comes back healthy to help him

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

No not all all. When we couldn't sign a LT then G.Cherilus was signed. But like I said can't wait until next season. I was dead on about us coming back in KC game when about 97% of you said we'd lose. I was right about Andrew Lucks first season record. Go look at my past post. I'll be right about AC next season, unless DT comes back healthy to help him

There is zero evidence of this happening, so why don't you let us in on where you got this info.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I'm not posting links and quoting anyone. We'll see next season.

You can't make up things that you think might have happened, and then use them as facts to make your argument hold water.

So you don't have a source is what you're getting at?

So you don't have a source is what you're getting at?

I got sources, but like I said we'll see next season. I was done with AC when we played Baltimore in the playoffs. He was telling them to "get off my QB" Well if he was doing his job no on we be on him

There is zero evidence of this happening, so why don't you let us in on where you got this info.

I recall a lot of fans hoping we would sign Jake Long and then move Castonzo to RT but there was no evidence the Colts actually went after Long.  He didn't sign with the Rams until March 17th whereas Cherilus signed with the Colts on March 12th.  Incidentally, March 12th was the first day of FA so, as has already been said, Cherilus was signed very quickly by the Colts.  

I did not read the whole thread this time, but Mack is the FA you would like (Don't think it will happen) and Grigs already tried to draft a center (Holmes)

Who else could we get?

At C we could definitely try to land Brian De La Puente. He's not at the top of the position like Mack, but he's a good NFL C and probably more realistic.

I feel that if we sign De La Puente, get Thomas back, with Cherilus and AC at tackles, we've possibly got an o-line that can actually play well. None of the above are perennial pro-bowlers or anything, but they can all play (assuming Thomas returns to form after injury.)

There's still an issue here though. If AC was a dominant LT I'd say we could just roll the dice on projecting Thorton as the other guard, but AC is merely pretty good. And even if he was dominant, I'd still want another G on this team for depth given Thomas  could re-injure.

Personally I'd want Thorton to be that fill in guy and us to sign or draft a stronger G if possible. I also think that we might need a depth signing at T, because I don't think our backups are that strong.

I think an upgraded O-line will be well worth the money and is way more important to this offense than finding that star WR. We desperately need to improve our running game and protect Luck. I'd like a star WR, but it would be a luxury not a necessity. Personally I'd be thinking about drafting a high potential WR in the 5th or preferably even 6th round and other than that just keeping the guys we've got. O-line was awful this past season.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I recall a lot of fans hoping we would sign Jake Long and then move Castonzo to RT but there was no evidence the Colts actually went after Long.  He didn't sign with the Rams until March 17th whereas Cherilus signed with the Colts on March 12th.  Incidentally, March 12th was the first day of FA so, as has already been said, Cherilus was signed very quickly by the Colts.  

I'm very glad we got Cherilus, and I'm not sure why anyone would question that move now.  Gosder should have made the pro bowl in my opinion.  I think people get too worked up in the RT/LT debate.  AC is a good Run blocker but not a great pass blocker, and Cherilus is the exact opposite, so it would make sense to switch them right?  No, because it's not that simple and this isn't Madden.

Guest TeamLoloJones

At C we could definitely try to land Brian De La Puente. He's not at the top of the position like Mack, but he's a good NFL C and probably more realistic.

I feel that if we sign De La Puente, get Thomas back, with Cherilus and AC at tackles, we've possibly got an o-line that can actually play well. None of the above are perennial pro-bowlers or anything, but they can all play (assuming Thomas returns to form after injury.)

There's still an issue here though. If AC was a dominant LT I'd say we could just roll the dice on projecting Thorton as the other guard, but AC is merely pretty good. And even if he was dominant, I'd still want another G on this team for depth given Thomas  could re-injure.

Personally I'd want Thorton to be that fill in guy and us to sign or draft a stronger G if possible. I also think that we might need a depth signing at T, because I don't think our backups are that strong.

I think an upgraded O-line will be well worth the money and is way more important to this offense than finding that star WR. We desperately need to improve our running game and protect Luck. I'd like a star WR, but it would be a luxury not a necessity. Personally I'd be thinking about drafting a high potential WR in the 5th or preferably even 6th round and other than that just keeping the guys we've got. O-line was awful this past season.

I'm still holding out hope that Thornton will be a viable starter.  He's got a the physical tools to be very good guard.  I'd like us to get a big boy center, and have Holmes as our swingman G/C.  We should also retain Reitz and Nixon to be our G/T swingmen.  Then go after some more depth in FA, or a late round pick.

I must admit I have not watched a lot of De La Puente, but his stats and write ups look good.  Is he just good because the line around him is good?  He is kind of a Jeff Saturday story, but then again so was AQ Shipley and I liked him.

I think we need a FA guard too, but the Colts need a lot of things I want more.

As I have said above, Thornton is better on the right....I have zero problem with AC and a healthy Dwayne Allen.  Lets wait and see...because for some odd reason I still like Joe Reitz as a LG.  Fun stuff, and thanks for the well thought out post.   :)

I must admit I have not watched a lot of De La Puente, but his stats and write ups look good.  Is he just good because the line around him is good?  He is kind of a Jeff Saturday story, but then again so was AQ Shipley and I liked him.

I think we need a FA guard too, but the Colts need a lot of things I want more.

As I have said above, Thornton is better on the right....I have zero problem with AC and a health Dwayne Allen.  Lets wait and see...because for some odd reason I still like Joe Reitz as a LG.  Fun stuff, and thanks for the well thought out post.   :)

It was a good post and lol im outta likes !

While I am a big fan of zone blocking I don't think blocking scheme alone could solve the Colts problems from this past year.  I do think, AC, Thornton and Cherilus could all do well in a zone blocking scheme. Thornton, I believe, has the physical attributes to be successful in any blocking scheme, he has good feet, strong upper body and excellent balance.  AC has great technique, good footwork and balance, good lower body strength and drive but lacks the upper body strength to which is important in a zone blocking scheme to keep defenders at a distance in case an olineman needs to release one defender to get another.  GC is a little slow footed for a zone RT but he's not so slow that he could make up for it with a long kick step. 

The problem this year with the Colts oline was McGlynn has terrible balance and technique once he is engaged with a defender and Satele is very weak for an NFL olineman.  So what would happen often times is McGlynn would be engaged off the snap and lose his balance and Satele was not strong enough to help him out.  Then defenses would take advantage of that and get a defender on Satele and McGlynn and they would just get pushed backwards.  The reason McGlynn looked better at center is because often times there were not be someone directly over him so he was able to get into position before engaging a defender and when someone did line up over him he often had help from a guard.

I think if the Colts get even an an average guard and center and they are able to develop some continuity they line will be much better next year.  People forget that when the Colts won the SB in 2006 that line had been together for three years, there was some injurries that forced Gandy into the line up a few times for Lilja but for the better part of three seasons it was Glenn, Lilja, Saturday, Scott, Diem  And while all of them were good players, outside of Saturday and perhaps Glenn none were considered a top 10 player at their position but they played together for so long and knew each other so well they were able to make one of the better olines in the last 20 years.  Because the oline is truly a case where the whole CAN be greater than the sum of it's parts.

Great stuff Coffee I do think Glenn was very good, and Scott was very underrated!

While I am a big fan of zone blocking I don't think blocking scheme alone could solve the Colts problems from this past year.  I do think, AC, Thornton and Cherilus could all do well in a zone blocking scheme. Thornton, I believe, has the physical attributes to be successful in any blocking scheme, he has good feet, strong upper body and excellent balance.  AC has great technique, good footwork and balance, good lower body strength and drive but lacks the upper body strength to which is important in a zone blocking scheme to keep defenders at a distance in case an olineman needs to release one defender to get another.  GC is a little slow footed for a zone RT but he's not so slow that he could make up for it with a long kick step. 

The problem this year with the Colts oline was McGlynn has terrible balance and technique once he is engaged with a defender and Satele is very weak for an NFL olineman.  So what would happen often times is McGlynn would be engaged off the snap and lose his balance and Satele was not strong enough to help him out.  Then defenses would take advantage of that and get a defender on Satele and McGlynn and they would just get pushed backwards.  The reason McGlynn looked better at center is because often times there were not be someone directly over him so he was able to get into position before engaging a defender and when someone did line up over him he often had help from a guard.

I think if the Colts get even an an average guard and center and they are able to develop some continuity they line will be much better next year.  People forget that when the Colts won the SB in 2006 that line had been together for three years, there was some injurries that forced Gandy into the line up a few times for Lilja but for the better part of three seasons it was Glenn, Lilja, Saturday, Scott, Diem  And while all of them were good players, outside of Saturday and perhaps Glenn none were considered a top 10 player at their position but they played together for so long and knew each other so well they were able to make one of the better olines in the last 20 years.  Because the oline is truly a case where the whole CAN be greater than the sum of it's parts.

very good post . very informative. keep posting on the o-line.

I'm still holding out hope that Thornton will be a viable starter. He's got a the physical tools to be very good guard. I'd like us to get a big boy center, and have Holmes as our swingman G/C. We should also retain Reitz and Nixon to be our G/T swingmen. Then go after some more depth in FA, or a late round pick.

thornton will be fine

And no I didn't make that up. In last years free agency we look for a LT. He was going to be moved to the right side regardless of him taking snaps there or not. But you'll see next season because we play pass rushing happy teams. People will be calling for his head.

There are two scenarios here and neither speak well for you. 1) You have some kind of info from a team insider because that is the only way you would know the pursued a LT. However, if that is the case I am sure would be less than thrilled with you sharing team insight on a public forum. 2) Or you are completely making stuff up to back your AC narrative. I say point # 2 is far more likely.

So in short, I call bovine leavings on you.

I'm still holding out hope that Thornton will be a viable starter.  He's got a the physical tools to be very good guard.  I'd like us to get a big boy center, and have Holmes as our swingman G/C.  We should also retain Reitz and Nixon to be our G/T swingmen.  Then go after some more depth in FA, or a late round pick.

I like it.  Reitz is adequate and Nixon played pretty well most of the time this year. 

AC, Thomas, (Mack or de la Puente), Thornton, Cherilus would make a pretty good line.  Nixon and Reitz as backups...keep Link if we need him.    I have to say that Satele, although probably a pretty nice guy, hasn't done well in Indy most of the time.  McGlynn did better at Center than guard. 

There are two scenarios here and neither speak well for you. 1) You have some kind of info from a team insider because that is the only way you would know the pursued a LT. However, if that is the case I am sure would be less than thrilled with you sharing team insight on a public forum. 2) Or you are completely making stuff up to back your AC narrative. I say point # 2 is far more likely.

So in short, I call bovine leavings on you.

That's like saying if your friend knew your spouse was cheating on you. Wouldn't you like them to tell you? I'd go with your first choice my friend

Justice I would agree with but not McGlynn, only because of the fact that he is still on the roster.  And to add to my opinion that Grigs does not know what it takes to be a good lineman, as bad as Linkenbach is, he played better at RT than Justice and better at RG than McGlynn and he was already on the roster, so I could see the need to sign one but to sign both (McGlynn to a two year deal) is a bit of homerism IMO.

Meh; I didn't think it was necessary to cut McGlynn. Signing him to a two year deal isn't exactly a big commitment.

What I mean when I say it's a Year 1 thing is that it's a lot harder to make acquisitions after getting hired. He had to make a decision about the coach; then find a new coach and fill out the staff; then learn the roster and make evaluations; then make decisions about releases and whatnot; all that time, he was also doing scouting and signing futures contracts. By the time free agency opened in mid March, it would have been hard for Grigson to have really done a lot in the way of finding new players to sign for not a lot of money. For him to default to a couple of guys he was already familiar with that could easily be had makes sense.

Now, in Year 3, I hardly think Grigson is going to be defaulting to guys that he already has familiarity with, for that reason alone. Someone like Jeremy Maclin, who is talented and has upside and might be available on a team-friendly contract, that's a different story. Familiarity makes sense there. Watkins, not so much. Grigson might like him as a depth/competition guy, but I hardly expect him to default to Watkins simply because he knows him from three years ago. And by the way, Grigson wasn't the college scouting director when Watkins was drafted; he was the director of personnel, so while I'm sure he was involved in the drafting decision, it wasn't like he rubber stamped the scouting before it got to the GM. 

All said, I just don't think these kind of links are going to hold water at this point. I might be wrong, but I doubt Grigson is scouring his scouting notes from his Eagles days looking for players he might have an in with. 

I think Thornton will be okay with a little time to hone his technique and build some strength. Kind of reminds me of a mix of Kevin Mawae and Mark Schlereth.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 22, 2014 - personal shot
Hidden by Nadine, January 22, 2014 - personal shot

That's like saying if your friend knew your spouse was cheating on you. Wouldn't you like them to tell you? I'd go with your first choice my friend

Well we all know that's not true. Especially considering you post like a 15 year old.

imo if we can upgrade the o-line, and as a result improve the running game, it will help us win by keeping our defense off the field