Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

smashmouth football

OLD FAN MAN

the pats have several big players out of the game, colts are bigger than before. imo its time for smashmouth football. thoughts?

It didn't exactly work well when we tried it for most of the season.......I vote we stick with what we have been doing as of late. We don't have the personnel for it.

We've tried smash mouth before, remember? It led to many 3-and-outs and slow starts. Then we usually ask Luck to bail us out.

We've finally played to our strength-- a fast up-tempo no huddle style of offense, leading to a fast start and numerous scoring drives.

I say we stick with what's working until the Pats show they can stop it. We've also run the ball well out of the hurry up offense.

We've tried smash mouth before, remember? It led to many 3-and-outs and slow starts. Then we usually ask Luck to bail us out.

We've finally played to our strength-- a fast up-tempo no huddle style of offense, leading to a fast start and numerous scoring drives.

I say we stick with what's working until the Pats show they can stop it. We've also run the ball well out of the hurry up offense.

I agree on offense, but this field is wet, maybe the short passes wil work, but on defense we need to smashmouth, no playing off

I agree on offense, but this field is wet, maybe the short passes wil work, but on defense we need to smashmouth, no playing off

Very true. We need to bring it on defense. I'm not too worried about their run game, although they have a good one. We've faced good running teams and have done well. I'm scared of Edelman. He's Brady's main target. Just like we expect them to double TY, we should do our best to take Edelman away.

Only when the defense calls for it.  I like the big pass catchers we have in Fleener and Rodgers.  Run the no-huddle with those guys.  If the defense comes out in nickel or dime, run the ball and put Fleener on the line as a TE.  If the defense stays in their base 3-4, put Fleener out wide and get a mismatch.  You'll also then have your RB, likely Brown, against a LB.  Don't try to make the defense do what you want; take what the defense gives you

I can care less about anybody else on the Pats defense, except the LB who's going to replace Spikes. Whoever he is, I think you go at him, whether it's running or passing. He has big shoes to fill, so make him prove he can fill them.

The playoffs is not the time to try to reinvent yourself.  You stick with what has been working till it's not working anymore.  You the run ball when it's there but you don't force it.  Honestly that is when the Colts have done their best job running the ball this year when it's there.  When they line up to try to force the run because the book says you run the ball in that situation it hasn't worked very well. 

the pats have several big players out of the game, colts are bigger than before. imo its time for smashmouth football on both sides of the game. thoughts?

Control the line of scrimmage, yeah, but smash mouth? We're not there yet IMO. We need to mix it up and keep the quick pace that has brought recent success. T.Y. will be bottled up. Fleener is going to have to have a big day.

Yes. They have played at their most physical in all the biggest games...When the stakes are high and this team is dissed by the media and generally dismissed, they are the most dangerous. Seriously, how many people are picking the Colts in this game? 

I've seen a fair amount of media peps picking the Colts as the road team that is going to win this week.  While I agree you normally get at least one upset in this round it's normally never the team the media is labeling as the team that will pull that upset. 

Yeah, out of the majority of analysts I've heard over the last week, probably 1 in 4 is riding with the Colts...It won't matter at all though, as the Nation is really going to see what this Colts team is made of today. No way I'm saying we win, but I can promise it's going to be a fierce battle...

With the wet forecast this is where I wish the Colts were built the way Pagano wants them.  A stingy defense and a power run game would be really good to have tonight. Will be interesting to see how the Colts play in bad weather that's for sure

our bigger stronger players might make a diff in bad weather