Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wish Grigson had NOT done this....

NewColtsFan

My respect and admiration for Ryan Grigson is pretty well know....

But this week, I think he made a silly foolish mistake that I really, really wish he didn't.

Talking with NFL.com after our great win over KC,  Grigson compared Andrew to Michael Jordan... saying they both want the ball when the game is on the line...    the bigger the moment, the bigger and better Luck plays...

I'm not arguing whether this view is right or not.

I'm arguing there's no need at this point in his career for the GM of the Colts to be saying that about Luck.    There's no upside for saying this.

If Luck plays well again -- well,  no big deal -- his GM says he's just like Michael Jordan.

But if Luck has a poor game -- well,  what happened?   What happened to the guy who plays like Michael Jordan?   

It's just very unnecessary at this point in Luck's career. 

Much more downside than there is upside.  

Grigson can say this in a year or two.....   after Luck has a longer string of success.

I realize Grigson was out of his mind with happiness over our incredible comeback win,  but I still expect him to be the grown-up in the room......    not a silly fan gushing over his best player.

Grigson needs to be smarter about his public comments.....   much smarter.

Just my two cents... and, as you often know,  it's sometimes not even worth that much!    :thmup:

Comparing Andrew Luck to Michael Jordan in the sense that they both want the ball in crucial game situations is not a big deal at all.

I don't really see this as a negative situation.  Grigson was speaking about Luck's mental toughness.  That's it.

zibby is right...

He realty didn't say that Luck is the football version of Michael Jordan..

.....he risked negative backlash by using them both in the same thought..about one individual trait...that he feels they both have

Its like saying that Katie Couric and Princess Kate..both are two Katies with a perky personality...

That';s not comparing them ..it really isn't......its just a judgment on perkiness....it's not to suggest that  Katie could bear the future king of England or that Kate could have  a failed American talk show...

Most in the media cant seem to make such subtle distinctions

But this week, I think he made a silly foolish mistake that I really, really wish he didn't.

Talking with NFL.com after our great win over KC,  Grigson compared Andrew to Michael Jordan... saying they both want the ball when the game is on the line...    the bigger the moment, the bigger and better Luck plays...

I'm arguing there's no need at this point in his career for the GM of the Colts to be saying that about Luck.    There's no upside for saying this.

If Luck plays well again -- well,  no big deal -- his GM says he's just like Michael Jordan.

But if Luck has a poor game -- well,  what happened?   What happened to the guy who plays like Michael Jordan?   

Grigson can say this in a year or two.....   after Luck has a longer string of success.

I realize Grigson was out of his mind with happiness over our incredible comeback win,  but I still expect him to be the grown-up in the room......    not a silly fan gushing over his best player.

Just my two cents... and, as you often know,  it's sometimes not even worth that much!    :thmup:

Precisely NCF. It was definitely not Grigson's finest hour. You can't put that kind of iconic pressure on Luck for 1. #2 You can't compare a basketball legend to a young NFL star still getting used to the rigors of his 2nd NFL season as a franchise QB. It's just lame & has zero merit at all. 

I did find ironic that Skip Bayless can compare Tom Brady to MJ but not Andrew Luck. No obvious bias there eh Skip? LOL! 

http://youtu.be/dMCrrxTG-DA

You know I totally agree with this. It places an additional weight on Luck's shoulders and he is already supporting quite a bit...Not a necessary comment but perhaps it was taken out of context? 

This is why people dislike Skip Bayless his hypocrisy namely comparing Tom Brady to Michael Jordan but Andrew Luck in his eyes is ridiculous...Really Skip? Really...Sigh...

http://youtu.be/koLdlYWt4iY

Again, mixing sports genres is a horrible premise I agree, but why does Tom Brady walk on water in Skip's eyes, & yet Andrew Luck just isn't quite good enough? Crazy just crazy IMHO...

Not the best choice of words but worse things have been said in life, Micheal felt no pressure, He wanted the ball...He wanted to stick it to ya and even run ya into the ground.....Humiliate ya...embarrass ya .......and he repeatedly did it...Thats what made him the best........Luck has that fire...That attitude....The Im not finished with you yet, I want more attitude when his competitive juices are flowing.....So does Brady.....And Manning. There are 2 differences as an athlete mentally and physically that separate Luck from Jordan.......Micheal was in your head before the start of the game....Oh and Micheal led his team to 6 rings

Relaaaaax. I think it was a poignant compliment.

Its only mouth foaming reporters or NFL talk voices that choose to twist it into something juicy.

Now getting a degree from Stanford in Architecture? That is true pressure. This is nothing.

Funny line there WH. It made me chuckle.  ;)

I don't like comparing 2 different sports together. MJ is a legend. Luck is still building his landmark NFL resume. The 2 have nothing in common. I get it. Grigs was addressing Andrew's clutch gene or competitive spirit with a NBA 6 time Champion. It doesn't work though. Andrew has won no SB ring yet. Not 1 let alone 6. That is the hidden implication by Grig's comparison & why it is a symbolic failure. 

Yes, I realize that Skip Bayless says controversial things to provoke a visceral, emotional response I understand that. However, Skip's constant undercutting of Luck accomplishments is starting to get on my nerves & when he does say a complement about Luck he turns right around & criticizes him about his picks. 

Ah Skip, did he or did he not overcome a 28 point hole & beat the Kansas City Chiefs by 1 point? I'm not surprized he couldn't even praise LeBron James when he won his 1st NBA ring with the Miami Heat either...

It just infuriates when people can't admit they are wrong. Grr! God, I so want to see Luck soundly defeat RG3 in his 1st SB just to see Skip Bayless be forced to admit that LUCK is legitimate. Stephen A. Smith would compel Skip to acknowledge that fact publicly too. 

SW1 may detest the Cowboys with every fiber in my body, but when they win I grit my teeth & admit it at least. I wish Skip could do that more frequently than he does. Thanks for letting me vent everyone. AH, much better...LOL!

He said Michael Jordan traits in the big moments.  I didn't think it was that bad when I heard it especially with all of the comebacks he's completed so early in his career. Of course any time you use the name of MJ you must be very careful.