Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR Dunn signed by Pats to play role of Hilton

krunk

Dobson and Thompkins looked awful all season.

No, that was at the beginning.. but their ceiling is incredibly high.  Jerry Rice said he thought from his standpoint that Dobson was the best pure receiver in the draft and everybody was projecting Kenbrell Thompkins to be a breakout superstar wide receiver this season because of the training camp he has had, turning heads with his play.  But once the season started, yeah a little slow but every week, they've gotten better and better and for Thompkins I think he finally started to emerge against the Buccaneers, had over 100 yards receiving and two touchdowns, the following week in Atlanta another 100 yard game and two touchdowns.. the guy can make some plays, we all know what happen to the Saints.  But right after that game he became injured, and on and off the field.  Same with Dobson, finally broke out against the Steelers for 136 yards and two touchdowns burning both Ike Taylor and Ryan Clark on a long bomb, but after that game he wasn't the same because of injuries off and on.  These two kids I believe are the most talented rookie receivers New England has had for some time, definitely far more talented then David Givens and Deion Branch as good as those two were.  Just a matter of getting healthy and back on the field.

Talib has had more trouble with guys like Hilton than he has with bigger, more prototypical outside receivers. I don't think they're going to shadow TY with Talib the entire game... I think they'll change things up a bit. Kyle Arrington is usually their slot guy and he mostly does a nice job, but a lot will depend on whether Denard (knee) is ready or not. 

I seriously doubt Dunn will be here for too long. 

Hey do the Pats have a discussion forum like this one somewhere? I navigated around their website a bit (which made me feel a little icky inside), but couldn't find one.

Talib has had more trouble with guys like Hilton than he has with bigger, more prototypical outside receivers. I don't think they're going to shadow TY with Talib the entire game... I think they'll change things up a bit. Kyle Arrington is usually their slot guy and he mostly does a nice job, but a lot will depend on whether Denard (knee) is ready or not. 

I seriously doubt Dunn will be here for too long. 

It actually probably makes more sense to just double Hilton with a safety over the top and put Talib on someone else (Fleener?).  You're playing 9 on 10 if you do that (and makes Luck a much more viable threat to run), but the BB approach has always been to take away to first option and then let the chips fall.

It actually probably makes more sense to just double Hilton with a safety over the top and put Talib on someone else (Fleener?).  You're playing 9 on 10 if you do that (and makes Luck a much more viable threat to run), but the BB approach has always been to take away to first option and then let the chips fall.

Exactly.

He tries to keep you from winning the way you WANT to win, and to make you do something else if you're going to beat him.

I don't know the Colts' WR personnel as well as you guys do, but I would guess that one of those guys is going to have a very big game because NE will go all out to limit Hilton. Maybe Fleener, maybe Rodgers, not sure who.

I actually can't believe the way KC let him kill them last week. How do you not account for Luck's most viable threat? They should have been on that guy like white on rice. 

Exactly.

He tries to keep you from winning the way you WANT to win, and to make you do something else if you're going to beat him.

I don't know the Colts' WR personnel as well as you guys do, but I would guess that one of those guys is going to have a very big game because NE will go all out to limit Hilton. Maybe Fleener, maybe Rodgers, not sure who.

I actually can't believe the way KC let him kill them last week. How do you not account for Luck's most viable threat? They should have been on that guy like white on rice.

Rogers is so raw, I have little doubt Talib could shut him down. But he's talented enough to have an explosive game if the focus is on shutting down Hilton and Fleener.