Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bears sign Jay Cutler to a 7-year deal.

Dustin

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'd still be in in Denver if he wasn't an arrogant, self-centered jerk. Ironically, the guy that set off his temper tantrum, Josh McDaniels, is also an arrogant jerk. I'm glad the Colts have a great QB without similar baggage.

Very surprising......

One playoff win in 8 years....I know there's excuses...

But not one conference ttile...one playoff berth.

Carson palmer has done better...rarely healthy all year.....and the old backup looks better

I;m sure there's a bail out clause after 2 or 3 years but I'm also bet there's a truckload of guaranteed money

..and the argeument is: WE simply cant ever do any better so we must keep the guy who's been injured and losing.

Very surprising

Very surprising......

One playoff win in 8 years....I know there's excuses...

But not one conference ttile...one playoff berth.

Carson palmer has done better...rarely healthy all year.....and the old backup looks better

I;m sure there's a bail out clause after 2 or 3 years but I'm also bet there's a truckload of guaranteed money

..and the argeument is: WE simply cant ever do any better so we must keep the guy who's been injured and losing.

Very surprising

Cutler has a 44-24 record in Chicago.

I thought stats didn't count only SB Rings  :dunno:  Seems like I have heard that before does it sound familiar  :???:

Not sure why you think I have ever said. At any rate, Jay doesn't have rings either and only one playoff appearance. But QBs salary takes into account his stats which is why I asked.

Seven years, something like $126-130m, probably, based on Schefter's tweet. As always, what's really important is the structure of the contract, and we likely won't know that for several days. Schefter does say $50m guaranteed, but that's not always the way it works. We'll see.

I think the Bears are smart to lock Cutler up; he's a good QB. I was thinking he'd get closer to $15m/year than $18m/year, but it all depends on how the money comes.

Franchise qbs are hard to find, and Cutler is one of the best they've had. Depending on the size of the contract it's smart to lock him up.

Price is a huge caveat to whether this is a good deal or not...but lets face it....Bears defense is a joke...and they need a high powered offense to compete..and he gives them the best chance to do it...plus this likely helps the HC and GM keep their job for awhile because we all know young or unproven qbs tend to get their coach fired lol.

Hence guaranteeing a Super Bowl-less seven years for the Chicago Bears.

Yet the great Rex Grossman got them to one??!! I think Jay is easily better than Rex and this new offense suits him pretty good actually.

Cutler has a 44-24 record in Chicago.

It is hard to win in the NFL...and probably the hardest place to play QB in the NFL outside NY is Chicago....those are nice numbers for a team that had no OL recently and just developing chemistry on offense.

Jay Cutler's 7-year deal expected to average more than Matt Stafford's $17.6M per year, with at least $50M guaranteed. (via @AdamSchefter)

Honestly that is A LOT of money...but if Stafford is worth that (which he probably isn't but that is what qbs get paid) Cutler is just as good if not better than Stafford in my mind...he is worth it.

Chicago is TOUGH on qbs....windy/cold...brutal black and blue division...well traditionally...but yeah he has done pretty good with not much to work with and I think a full year with Tressman he could be a pro bowler...honestly...we know he is not mr. personality...but I know he is tough because he plays hurt and I trust that staff to get the most out of him....and if it isn't too crazy with the numbers he is still movable.

Cutler is certainly far from being a top NFL QB, but I really don't think he can be pointed out as the reason that the Bears havn't made the playoffs.  

And it's not like the Bears are in a position to draft a franchise QB this year. 

I think people have to realize...if you have no qb...you have no chance. How many teams would take Jay over what they have now??? There are probably almost half the NFL teams that given the chance would throw that money at him....so the Bears were good to lock him up....he isn't Tom Brady...but he isn't Matt Flynn either...he has earned the job and if healthy gives the Bears a great chance to win...despite that defense...there is no qb in the draft I would rate out with a higher grade then Jay...he just needs to clean up some wild throws and learn to smile once in awhile....lol

Cutler is not the problem with that team. I guess you missed the game with Green Bay where Aaron Rodgers pretty much did whatever he wanted to.

McCown is a career backup. That's a fact. And he's 34. So I don't see what your point is by brining up Jay's age. What should Chicago do, trade up and give away a bunch of draft picks to get Johnny Manziel?

Jay's biggest problem since he got to Chicago has been that porous O-line. I think a few years ago he got sacked like 54 times. And that mother#er got up every time. He's pretty tough. The O-line seems to have come around, now they just need to get that defense back in order.

The Bears are PRIMED offensively. I'm not sure what Forte's contract situation is, but hopefully he's coming back. And they have Marshall, Jeffrey, and promising talent Marquess Wilson.

I'll tell you what was dumb of the Bears--giving Michael Bush all that money a couple of seasons ago when Forte was out drifting in the wind--and Bush doesn't even really play.

But signing Cutler to an extension is not a problem.

I think people have to realize...if you have no qb...you have no chance. How many teams would take Jay over what they have now??? There are probably almost half the NFL teams that given the chance would throw that money at him....so the Bears were good to lock him up....he isn't Tom Brady...but he isn't Matt Flynn either...he has earned the job and if healthy gives the Bears a great chance to win...despite that defense...there is no qb in the draft I would rate out with a higher grade then Jay...he just needs to clean up some wild throws and learn to smile once in awhile....lol

And if any franchise knows what it's like not having a good QB, it's the Bears. In five seasons, some of them shortened by injury, Cutler is already the Bears franchise leader in passing yards.

By the way, the guy smiles all the time:

tumblr_mtvs5sJd5Q1rge9rdo1_500.gif

Cutler is not the problem with that team. I guess you missed the game with Green Bay where Aaron Rodgers pretty much did whatever he wanted to.

McCown is a career backup. That's a fact. And he's 34. So I don't see what your point is by brining up Jay's age. What should Chicago do, trade up and give away a bunch of draft picks to get Johnny Manziel?

Jay's biggest problem since he got to Chicago has been that porous O-line. I think a few years ago he got sacked like 54 times. And that *er got up every time. He's pretty tough. The O-line seems to have come around, now they just need to get that defense back in order.

The Bears are PRIMED offensively. I'm not sure what Forte's contract situation is, but hopefully he's coming back. And they have Marshall, Jeffrey, and promising talent Marquess Wilson.

I'll tell you what was dumb of the Bears--giving Michael Bush all that money a couple of seasons ago when Forte was out drifting in the wind--and Bush doesn't even really play.

But signing Cutler to an extension is not a problem.

I agree...I didn't like the Bush contract either but if that was all part of getting Forte back into the fold...well whatever it takes I guess because Forte is the perfect RB for that team. I don't think Bush's contract is so bad they can't sign talent on defense though....I think they look at that side of the ball the whole draft possibly...they need a LOT of HELP. Their safeties aren't good for sure.  This is just what qbs cost....even non-sb winning ones...and if people think LUCK won't cost us just as much if not more....PLEASE!

And if any franchise knows what it's like not having a good QB, it's the Bears. In five seasons, some of them shortened by injury, Cutler is already the Bears franchise leader in passing yards.

By the way, the guy smiles all the time:

tumblr_mtvs5sJd5Q1rge9rdo1_500.gif

Awesome....must have been right after his agent told him the good news lol!!! Or Kristin sent him a selfie or whatever they call those lol.

By the way, without the new deals for Cutler, Slauson and Jennings, the Bears have somewhere around $45m in cap space for 2014. And there are rumors they're looking into releasing Julius Peppers, which would free up another $10m in cap space and save $14m in cash. So if the thinking is that the Bears need help on defense, re-signing Jay Cutler doesn't prevent them from retooling the defense.

By the way, without the new deals for Cutler, Slauson and Jennings, the Bears have somewhere around $45m in cap space for 2014. And there are rumors they're looking into releasing Julius Peppers, which would free up another $10m in cap space and save $14m in cash. So if the thinking is that the Bears need help on defense, re-signing Jay Cutler doesn't prevent them from retooling the defense.

Wow!! Thats a lot of cash....they can revamp like we did...I wonder if they will get more bang for their buck?? Peppers is a freak though....dang he is scary! Somebody will snatch him up and see if he has anything left in that tank! I hope the Bears get some help...would like to see them back in the SB for my Dad.

Wow!! Thats a lot of cash....they can revamp like we did...I wonder if they will get more bang for their buck?? Peppers is a freak though....dang he is scary! Somebody will snatch him up and see if he has anything left in that tank! I hope the Bears get some help...would like to see them back in the SB for my Dad.

If the Bears let Peppers go, I think he'd head right back to Tampa with Lovie Smith and Rod Marinelli. He still had 7.5 sacks this season, so he's definitely got something left.

If the Bears let Peppers go, I think he'd head right back to Tampa with Lovie Smith and Rod Marinelli. He still had 7.5 sacks this season, so he's definitely got something left.

That dline is already STOUT. Could be seeing a resurgance in Tampa on defense. I know Lovie was in that organization before but it really surprised me they went with him. I would have thought they went with a young offensive guy to help groom Glennon. I'm sure the offensive coordinator will be someone they look at very closely considering Lovie's issues on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm thinking Peppers ends up a cap casualty

That dline is already STOUT. Could be seeing a resurgance in Tampa on defense. I know Lovie was in that organization before but it really surprised me they went with him. I would have thought they went with a young offensive guy to help groom Glennon. I'm sure the offensive coordinator will be someone they look at very closely considering Lovie's issues on the offensive side of the ball.

Word is Lovie is going to hire Jeff Tedford as offensive coordinator. Tedford has a good track record with college QBs, though the only one of them to ever do anything in the NFL was Aaron Rodgers (and his career was troubled from draft day on). Kyle Boller, Trent Dilfer, David Carr, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Billy Volek, AJ Feely... A lot of them were first round guys. He also had a few nice running backs at Cal. I think Tedford will be a good fit with Glennon.

Cutler also seems to really like Trestman and vice versa. And Trestman put some nice pieces around him this season and improved the Oline. If they can fix the D then they should be just fine.

Still it was hard not to notice how that offense hummed with McNown in there.

Cutler also seems to really like Trestman and vice versa. And Trestman put some nice pieces around him this season and improved the Oline. If they can fix the D then they should be just fine.

Still it was hard not to notice how that offense hummed with McNown in there.

McCown, not McNown. Huuuuuge difference. Point taken, either way.

Not to get too off topic but I find Jay Culter attractive in kind of a subtle way. He kind of reminds me of Tim Robbins in Shawshank Redemption. He has a quiet confidence and seems to stroll instead of walk. I will wait for James to weigh in.

Josh apparently agrees with me on Jay. lol.

chi_a_mccown_cutler_b1_576x324.jpg

Not to get too off topic but I find Jay Culter attractive in kind of a subtle way. He kind of reminds me of Tim Robbins in Shawshank Redemption. He has a quiet confidence and seems to stroll instead of walk. I will wait for James to weigh in.

That's cuz he's SMOKIN:

a87ff679a2f3e71d9181a67b7542122c21427433

cutler1.jpg?w=344&h=425

smokin-jay-don-t-care-dark.anvil-unisex-