Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bears sign Jay Cutler to a 7-year deal.

Dustin

Interesting structure on Cutler's deal. Staggered guarantees, but for all intents and purposes, the first three years will be paid. No signing bonus, just guaranteed base salaries in the first three years, totaling $54m. This is similar to the original structure of Manning's contract with the Broncos (except his contract was only guaranteed for one year, not three). So in three years, if Cutler isn't working out, the Bears can cut him with no cap penalties. And future bonuses are roster bonuses, so they don't affect the Bears ability to release Cutler in still future years. 

Very team friendly structure, long term. If Cutler bombs in the next two or three years, the Bears are stuck, but come 2017, they can wash their hands with no trouble. The only question is whether Cutler should be getting $18.1m/year.

It's about market price ... like it or not . Simple as that. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about market price ... like it or not . Simple as that. 

Yup. I believe Cutler could have drawn this kind of compensation on the open market. Different from Flacco, because I don't think he'd have been offered anywhere near $20m/year as a free agent. IMO. I said earlier that I'd reserve judgment on the Cutler deal until the details and structure were available. Now that I've seen them, I think it's a good contract.