Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Grigson make another big trade next season?

GoColtsGo5150

If he plans to make a trade or a big signing, I hope he goes after something to the O-Line like Brian Orakpo, Eugene Monroe or Alex Mack. One of them would impact our team right away, but also be expensive to sign.

orakpo and Mack are free agents so no trade there

We don't need a tackle so no to monroe

He's definitely shown the willingness. So anything is possible. I would not mind an Olineman but rarely are teams willing to part with them.

I'm not sure we have enough in the cupboard to swing a big trade. At some point, you have to develop from the draft or the cap catches you way too fast

Ehhh yes and no. We have some pieces in the cupboard if you look at it from the standpoint of transition.

Tampa Bay will more than likely be transitioning back to the Tampa 2. Schiano put some pieces in that Defensive backfield that are not Tampa 2 pieces....like say Darrell Revis. We on the other hand have Antoine Bethea, Cassius Vaughn, Darius Butler, Kavell Conner and Pat Angerer who are all quintessential 4/3 Tampa 2 players. You could trade any one or combination of those guys for Revis and not really skip a beat from a personnel standpoint with maybe the exception of Bethea. 

If he plans to make a trade or a big signing, I hope he goes after something like Brian Orakpo, Eugene Monroe or Alex Mack. One of them would impact our team right away, but also be expensive to sign.

You are thinking of Free Agency here. You do not sign trades, you just take over their remaining contract.

As the title says, could he? I mean in the past two seasons, Grigs has made a reasonable big trade ( or a trade big enough for Irsay to tweet about etc.)

But do you think the trend will continue next year or not? If so what/who do you think we will trade for?

I hope so..

The Irsay tweets get me excited.

Probably not a "big" trade, but he'll probably do some small ones. Like he did with Rayford.

Except for getting a better C, we really don't have any glaring holes. Sure, we can always upgrade at many positions. But we're getting Wayne, Allen, Thomas and Ballard back.

I talked about both a trade or a big signing in free agency. I just hope we sign someone that can improve our roster and team right away. Last year he imo made some stupid signings, and overpaid some of the players we signed. Just hope Grigson have learned something from his mistakes and do a better job this year and really goes after some players that can help improve our o-line.

The dream would be AP, but we know that wont happen.

Not if he really wants to have a power running game. They know that Satele isn't the answer. Is Holmes?

Mack sure would be.

The reason our o-line has been serviceable over the past three games is because we gave up on the power running game and ran more hurry-up, shotgun and spread the field a bit more.

If we stay that way, we do not need to invest heavily in our o-line, if we go back to the power running system next year, then it is top priority.

The reason our o-line has been serviceable over the past three games is because we gave up on the power running game and ran more hurry-up, shotgun and spread the field a bit more.

If we stay that way, we do not need to invest heavily in our o-line, if we go back to the power running system next year, then it is top priority.

Yep. But I do not think we're at the place where from a doctrine standpoint, Pagano has decided to give up on the power running game. I'm more inclined to say they humbled up and decided to change things a bit for the rest of the season. But will return to the power running game in the off-season, draft and free agency. :)

He's definitely shown the willingness. So anything is possible. I would not mind an Olineman but rarely are teams willing to part with them.

Ehhh yes and no. We have some pieces in the cupboard if you look at it from the standpoint of transition.

Tampa Bay will more than likely be transitioning back to the Tampa 2. Schiano put some pieces in that Defensive backfield that are not Tampa 2 pieces....like say Darrell Revis. We on the other hand have Antoine Bethea, Cassius Vaughn, Darius Butler, Kavell Conner and Pat Angerer who are all quintessential 4/3 Tampa 2 players. You could trade any one or combination of those guys for Revis and not really skip a beat from a personnel standpoint with maybe the exception of Bethea.

i think all those guys for us are FA next season with exception of Vaughn and I want him gone at all costs. Revis won't get traded for any of those guys. Bethea, if he were under contract, MIGHT be a best case scenario trade but even then, I can't see it.

i think all those guys for us are FA next season with exception of Vaughn and I want him gone at all costs. Revis won't get traded for any of those guys. Bethea, if he were under contract, MIGHT be a best case scenario trade but even then, I can't see it.

Ehhh I'm not talking about what anyone can see. I don't see us trading for Revis either. But none of us saw us trading for Vontae or Trent. You said that you weren't sure we have enough in the cupboard. But we do for a squad transitioning BACK to a Tampa 2. :)

Either way, we need to upgrade at C. Maybe it's Holmes. I don't think it's McGlynn, although he's even an upgrade to Satele. Mack would not be cheap but he'd be an anchor for years to come.

I think the coaches like to talk about being a power running team, more than actually doing it. I've said it before, but I wish they'd study some of the Eagles playbook. Luck could run it better than Foles.

Ehhh I'm not talking about what anyone can see. I don't see us trading for Revis either. But none of us saw us trading for Vontae or Trent. You said that you weren't sure we have enough in the cupboard. But we do for a squad transitioning BACK to a Tampa 2. :)

I lean towards believing your premise that Tampa, of all teams that should run the Tampa 2 that Lovie had wild success with in Chicago. On the other hand many believe that the Tampa 2 is dead, Kiffin and the Boys did a great job killing it, everyone figured it out and it is now nothing more than a sub package and only to be employed like the prevent.

...many believe that the Tampa 2 is dead, Kiffin and the Boys did a great job killing it, everyone figured it out and it is now nothing more than a sub package and only to be employed like the prevent.

Ehhh to those people I say nonsense. EVERY defense has been figured out in the NFL. Regardless...it is about as deep as a cup of coffee, the Tampa 2 like every defense requires players with particular skill sets. If you don't have those players....you don't have a defense.

Nothing more, nothing less.

So my question would be again, what do we carry that's worthy of a trade and for the caliber of a Revis profile player?

Either way, we need to upgrade at C. Maybe it's Holmes. I don't think it's McGlynn, although he's even an upgrade to Satele. Mack would not be cheap but he'd be an anchor for years to come.

I think the coaches like to talk about being a power running team, more than actually doing it. I've said it before, but I wish they'd study some of the Eagles playbook. Luck could run it better than Foles.

Could not possibly agree more.

I lean towards believing your premise that Tampa, of all teams that should run the Tampa 2 that Lovie had wild success with in Chicago. On the other hand many believe that the Tampa 2 is dead, Kiffin and the Boys did a great job killing it, everyone figured it out and it is now nothing more than a sub package and only to be employed like the prevent.

The Tampa 2 isn't really "dead"...it's just more of a prevent defense than anything.  Also, it's really just a coverage type, not an actual base defense.  The problem with Indy, especially in the last couple of years, was that they were running Tampa 2 coverage on over 50% of their defensive plays whereas the next closest team was at around 20%.  It's a situational defense that will always have merit but not as an every down coverage type.  Under Lovie Smith, Chicago was a Cover 2 team that ran tampa 2 coverage on occasion when the situation called for it and I would expect the same in Tampa.

Yep. But I do not think we're at the place where from a doctrine standpoint, Pagano has decided to give up on the power running game. I'm more inclined to say they humbled up and decided to change things a bit for the rest of the season. But will return to the power running game in the off-season, draft and free agency. :)

I don't like it, but I think you're right.

The only thing Luck could do better in the Eagle's offense is add a running element which would allow them to run more read-option if they wanted to.  

haha no we don't.

We have an Oline (G & C) to fix. Other than that, we simply need depth.

add inside lb and i completely agree. i want to go to cheaper options in the kicking game also.

love the avatar! a&e did the exact thing i said they would, cave in and reinstate him after they threatened to take their money and leave. i never watched the show until all this started. after watching a couple episodes, i won't be watching because i think it's boring but i support anyone's right to say what they believe.

As the title says, could he? I mean in the past two seasons, Grigs has made a reasonable big trade ( or a trade big enough for Irsay to tweet about etc.)

But do you think the trend will continue next year or not? If so what/who do you think we will trade for?

i hope not! his trades this year have been absolutely terrible!

Butler is not a quintessential 4-3 Tampa 2 CB.. He plays best in press man coverage and fits us best.

Butler is not a quintessential 4-3 Tampa 2 CB.. He plays best in press man coverage and fits us best.

Bethea, Conner, Angerer all do well in the Tampa 2. Vaughn could go in the trade just to get rid of him   :D

I agree with u on Butler tho. He fits our D best.

That's already been answered. Being a free Agent and the ability to be traded isn't mutually exclusive. Sign and trades are a way of life.

Not in the NFL it isn't. That's NBA or MLB speak. It's rare to see sign and trades in the NFL. I can't recall the last few players who that happened to.

Yeah, tell that to Anquan Bolden. :) He came out of UConn's 4/3 under Todd Orlando where he was not a press corner. Heck he didn't even have enough talent to play press in High School. He was a safety. He did however play the wide side of the field at UConn so he's talented. But he would be better as a zone corner.  

I'm glad we have him but he's fortunate to be on the team. He plays well NOW in press because of coaching. But he sucked at it initially...otherwise he'd still be in New England instead of Kyle Arrington or down in Carolina.