Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Schwartz fired (merge)

Dustin

Not shocked. I had been saying for a couple of years he wasn't going to get the Lions over the hump. I viewed him kinda like I did Mora for us. Can get you from the ashes to the playoffs but that's it. Now they need their Dungy. I think Lovie Smith might be a good choice there. Talent is there the just need to mature some.

Not shocked. I had been saying for a couple of years he wasn't going to get the Lions over the hump. I viewed him kinda like I did Mora for us. Can get you from the ashes to the playoffs but that's it. Now they need their Dungy. I think Lovie Smith might be a good choice there. Talent is there the just need to mature some.

Same thought here, Lovie Smith to bring discipline and oversee their current 4-3 scheme and get them to the playoffs more consistently with their talent.

Mods, merge Schwartz threads please!!!

lovie is too soft spoken for the lions. they need someone to bring order and discipline. besides lovie's track record with the bears isnt exactly impressive. its never gonna happen, but cowher or jon gruden would be perfect

The death knell for Schwartz was his calling out the Detroit fan base in the Giants game. You would think coaches would have enough common sense to know that you can't trash the people who are ultimately responsible for your paycheck and expect to keep your job, but apparently not. Not to mention they had good reason to be upset in that game IMO (and upset for the season with the talent the Lions have).

Lovie Smith is perfect fit to bring discipline and continue coaching their 4-3 scheme, IMO. Plus, he can stick it to the Bears twice if he could by being in the same division.

Lol Lovie would be a great fit for the Lions. And sticking it to the Bears, never thought about it that way though. Is kinda funny now you say it.

With the amount of talent the Lions have, they should be at least in the wild card spot every year.  Stafford is a solid QB who needs developing, Calvin is Calvin, Bush can run the ball and be a really good receiver, and their defense has a lot of talent (Levy, Delmas, Ansah, Suh, Fairley, etc.).  I don't like Schwartz as a head coach and I didn't like the hire when it happened.  That team has underperformed under Schwartz

Same thought here, Lovie Smith to bring discipline and oversee their current 4-3 scheme and get them to the playoffs more consistently with their talent.

Mods, merge Schwartz threads please!!!

better chance of mods seeing things if you use any report link within a duplicate thread and just add a note that there are duplicates on this topic

lovie is too soft spoken for the lions. they need someone to bring order and discipline. besides lovie's track record with the bears isnt exactly impressive. its never gonna happen, but cowher or jon gruden would be perfect

You do not have to be a loud mouth tyrant to bring discipline to a team.  The Colts under Dungy one of the more disciplined teams in the league and Dungy was one of the most soft spoken coaches in the league.

Gruden nor Cowher will be coaching in 2014.  The Lions have to bring in someone like Lovie to bring in some discipline and keep that team in line.  They have to much talent to fall apart like they did this season.

You do not have to be a loud mouth tyrant to bring discipline to a team.  The Colts under Dungy one of the more disciplined teams in the league and Dungy was one of the most soft spoken coaches in the league.

Gruden nor Cowher will be coaching in 2014.  The Lions have to bring in someone like Lovie to bring in some discipline and keep that team in line.  They have to much talent to fall apart like they did this season.

your acting like the colts were not a discipline team before dungy got there. what out of line characters did we have

The person who that Lions squad would REALLY benefit from would be Tony Dungy.

That calming command he has is what they need.

Lovie Smith is the closest to Tony Dungy in demeanor and calming command, IMO. For crying out loud, he lost his job after going 10-6, Lovie that is.

Tony Dungy is a soft spoken guy who taught fundamentals well & is beloved in Tampa & INDY. Lovie would have no problem in Detriot IMO. Walk softly & carry a big stick kind of thing. Bill Cowher won his SB ring in 2005. He's not relevant anymore as a head coach. I wouldn't fear Bill Cowher as a player right now. He's a media pundit now. Way too soft. 

Tony Dungy was soft spoken too and he was one of the most respected coached in football.  That's what the Lions need someone who can get those players respects and who they just don't want to let down.  You can do that many ways you don't have to be a yeller and screamer like Cowher or Gruden to do that. 

With that said I don't think Lovie is going there.  I think he's headed to Tampa based on reports.