Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady = MJ according to Skip Bayless

Shane Bond

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the article.  Don't judge it based on the title.  He's talking about Brady's clutch play this year.  The article is essentially summarized with this:

Brady shares only this with MJ: The longer the odds and higher the pressure, the more Mr. Nice Guy turns into the sports equivalent of a psycho killer.

This season, at age 36, Brady has been positively Jordanesque, pulling off comeback after astonishingly clutch comeback, against Buffalo and New Orleans and Denver and Houston and Cleveland and even this past Sunday at Miami -- which should have ended in yet another great Brady escape.

I think it's hard to disagree with that.  Brady has been clutch all year long.  His supporting cast has constantly been in flux, changing nearly each game.  You could also argue that they should have 2 more wins because of questionable endings in the Carolina and Jets games.

Read the article.  Don't judge it based on the title.  He's talking about Brady's clutch play this year.  The article is essentially summarized with this:

Brady shares only this with MJ: The longer the odds and higher the pressure, the more Mr. Nice Guy turns into the sports equivalent of a psycho killer.

This season, at age 36, Brady has been positively Jordanesque, pulling off comeback after astonishingly clutch comeback, against Buffalo and New Orleans and Denver and Houston and Cleveland and even this past Sunday at Miami -- which should have ended in yet another great Brady escape.

I think it's hard to disagree with that.  Brady has been clutch all year long.  His supporting cast has constantly been in flux, changing nearly each game.  You could also argue that they should have 2 more wins because of questionable endings in the Carolina and Jets games.

Skip is ignoring those 3 redzone INTs in the 4th quarter of three games this year.

Skip is ignoring those 3 redzone INTs in the 4th quarter of three games this year.

From the article:

But do not forget what Michael Jordan once said in a Nike commercial: "Twenty-six times I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed."

I don't get the bolded. Brady is great in the clutch; that's well established. But how should the Miami game have ended any differently? Brady is the one that threw the game-ending interception. 

From the article:

But do not forget what Michael Jordan once said in a Nike commercial: "Twenty-six times I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed."

Not an accurate comparison. Plus, it's kind of a cop out. "I'm always clutch. Except for those times Im not."

I don't get the bolded. Brady is great in the clutch; that's well established. But how should the Miami game have ended any differently? Brady is the one that threw the game-ending interception. 

I guess what he is saying is that Brady had the team rolling with lots of momentum, ready to finish the finish the game with a win.  But yeah, that line doesn't really help his point.

Not an accurate comparison. Plus, it's kind of a cop out. "I'm always clutch. Except for those times Im not."

Despite the INTs, Brady has still led his team to be one of the best in the league.  They are currently in position to have a first round bye in the playoffs.  And this is without Wilfork, Mayo, Talib on and off, Gronk missing a lot of time, no Hernandez, Dobson and Thompkins dropping passes like mad, Amendola constantly hurt, etc.  Some mistakes are to be expected (and they would even be expected if the Pats had a full roster, as they would be with any QB), but to achieve a 10-4 record without all of those guys is incredible.

I guess what he is saying is that Brady had the team rolling with lots of momentum, ready to finish the finish the game with a win.  But yeah, that line doesn't really help his point.

Despite the INTs, Brady has still led his team to be one of the best in the league.  They are currently in position to have a first round bye in the playoffs.  And this is without Wilfork, Mayo, Talib on and off, Gronk missing a lot of time, no Hernandez, Dobson and Thompkins dropping passes like mad, Amendola constantly hurt, etc.  Some mistakes are to be expected (and they would even be expected if the Pats had a full roster, as they would be with any QB), but to achieve a 10-4 record without all of those guys is incredible.

Yep. And that's why I think BB should win coach of the year.

I have not read the article but if Amendola holds on to the ball that was thrown to a spot only his hands could grab it then people can understand what the "should" meant . . .  Brady can only do so much from his end of the string . . . if you throw the ball to a spot for a game winning TD and it does not happen, one can, if they wish, put a "should" in front of the story . . . it was also a great play by the defender . . .

this is no different than the "should" some people, which I agree with, can put in front of Joe Flacco's story on the last drive of the AFCCG game when his put the go ahead lead in the hands of the WR only to see our DB strip the ball, then he sees his kicker miss a chip shot FGA to tie the game . . .

Pretty good article from Skip. More balance then he usually has when he is touting one of his guys. And it is no secret that he thinks Brady is the best QB in the game.

I have said for years that I believe MJ and Brady could be the same guy in terms of their competitiveness. It is almost illness with the two of them. Jordan, like Brady, took less money toward the end of his career to help put together a better team. And both were/are emotional leaders. And of course clutch. But their disdain for losing is what links them I think the most. The only thing I will say about MJ is that he seems like a bitter man and has since his playing days ended. He has said how much he misses playing and I will assume he is sick of every young gun being compared to him, i.e. Kobe, Lebron, etc. but I doubt we will see that from Brady. He seems to be a guy that has life lined up after football.

I like the fact that Skip focused on this season because most in NE believe it is Brady's finest. And Belichick too who should win coach of the year unless KC/Reid somehow takes the West from the Broncos. It has been a masterful job by the two of them and glad to see it encapsulated in this article.

I have not read the article but if Amendola holds on to the ball that was thrown to a spot only his hands could grab it then people can understand what the "should" meant . . .  Brady can only do so much from his end of the string . . . if you throw the ball to a spot for a game winning TD and it does not happen, one can, if they wish, put a "should" in front of the story . . . it was also a great play by the defender . . .

this is no different than the "should" some people, which I agree with, can put in front of Joe Flacco's story on the last drive of the AFCCG game when his put the go ahead lead in the hands of the WR only to see our DB strip the ball, then he sees his kicker miss a chip shot FGA to tie the game . . .

I get that. But it was good defense. That's what you have to overcome in order to come back at the end of the game. The QB doesn't get credit for a failed comeback just because the other team played good defense. And after that, Brady throws a pick. That's a classic example of "all the credit, none of the blame."

As for Flacco a couple years ago, that's entirely different. First of all, Lee Evans drop was an entirely different story than the Amendola pass. But beyond that, when your kicker misses a makeable kick at the end of the game, that's way different from you throwing an interception. And even then, we don't give Flacco credit for "almost" getting the win. 

Pretty good article from Skip. More balance then he usually has when he is touting one of his guys. And it is no secret that he thinks Brady is the best QB in the game.

I have said for years that I believe MJ and Brady could be the same guy in terms of their competitiveness. It is almost illness with the two of them. Jordan, like Brady, took less money toward the end of his career to help put together a better team. And both were/are emotional leaders. And of course clutch. But their disdain for losing is what links them I think the most. The only thing I will say about MJ is that he seems like a bitter man and has since his playing days ended. He has said how much he misses playing and I will assume he is sick of every young gun being compared to him, i.e. Kobe, Lebron, etc. but I doubt we will see that from Brady. He seems to be a guy that has life lined up after football.

I like the fact that Skip focused on this season because most in NE believe it is Brady's finest. And Belichick too who should win coach of the year unless KC/Reid somehow takes the West from the Broncos. It has been a masterful job by the two of them and glad to see it encapsulated in this article.

The bulls paid Jordan 60 million dollars for his final two years in Chicago

I get that. But it was good defense. That's what you have to overcome in order to come back at the end of the game. The QB doesn't get credit for a failed comeback just because the other team played good defense. And after that, Brady throws a pick. That's a classic example of "all the credit, none of the blame."

As for Flacco a couple years ago, that's entirely different. First of all, Lee Evans drop was an entirely different story than the Amendola pass. But beyond that, when your kicker misses a makeable kick at the end of the game, that's way different from you throwing an interception. And even then, we don't give Flacco credit for "almost" getting the win. 

are you serious? . . . come on now Supes you are better than this . . . come on now . . .

it is the SAME fact pattern . . .  a ball thrown to a WR in his hands and it is stripped by the defender, it was not a drop by either player  . . . what is the difference other than the color of the jerseys?  . . . please . . .

Flacco did not have to worry about throwing an additional pass on fourth down as all he needed was a FG and Brady needed a TD so he needed to throw it on 4th down . . . they both preformed, or lack of preformed depending on your opinion, on the first three downs and Flacco was able to sit down on 4th down without being required to throw a ball on fourth down . . . and if you did not give credit for what Flacco did, fine that is your opinion, fair enough, but there were many who said Flacco did what he could to win and the D stepped up . . .

and many said Flacco did what he needed to do to win but for the play be Evans/Moore . . .which is fine too . . . and this is all this guy is talking about . . . and again and again, my constant theme in this forum, is one of consistency, that we have to ask . . . and if some reporters want to say Flacco did what he needed to do to win, so can't others say Brady did want he needed to do to win. . .

You do not have to agree with the reasoning behind what these writers, but just understand there are some who will opine on someone given a level credit to making a play (i.e. a game winning pass to the hands of a WR which was subsequently stripped by a defender) and coming to a conclusion . . . you don't have to agree with this thinking, fair enough, but please do not say the same are different so that one is justified and the other is not . . . bottom line both QBs made plays in regulation for a game winning TD, period . . . and what ever level, or non level, you want to attach it is fine . . . but please treat them the same and any media opinion of them . . .

I agree. Plus, the PI call vs the Browns defender that gave them the ball at the 1, as lousy a call as it can get (along with the non-calls vs Ravens on MNF vs Lions).

It was almost like they had made up their mind to make up for the PI call not called vs Panthers for the Pats and call it vs Browns that most folks don't care about anyway. Two wrongs still don't make a right.

Again, clutch and choke are the two most overused words in NFL analyst and whole NFL vocabulary, IMO.

I agree. Plus, the PI call vs the Browns defender that gave them the ball at the 1, as lousy a call as it can get (along with the non-calls vs Ravens on MNF vs Lions).

It was almost like they had made up their mind to make up for the PI call not called vs Panthers for the Pats and call it vs Browns that most folks don't care about anyway. Two wrongs still don't make a right.

Again, clutch and choke are the two most overused words in NFL analyst and whole NFL vocabulary, IMO.

PI calls have been way up this year. Competition committee really needs to look into it. I would have preferred the Carolina PI as that would have gave Brady one more chance from the 1 and trade in the Browns PI call as there is no doubt in my mind the Pats would have gone in for the TD from the 30 with 40 seconds to go if the PI was not called on first down.

PI calls have been way up this year. Competition committee really needs to look into it. I would have preferred the Carolina PI as that would have gave Brady one more chance from the 1 and trade in the Browns PI call as there is no doubt in my mind the Pats would have gone in for the TD from the 30 with 40 seconds to go if the PI was not called on first down.

From a standings perspective though, an NFC loss does not hurt you nearly as much as an AFC loss since the conference record is the second tie-breaker after overall record for 2 non-divisional teams.

I am all for a 15 yard penalty on PI calls except before the last 2 minutes of a game where it becomes a spot foul. That is mainly because if a defender uses it to his advantage to intentionally commit PI on a sure fire TD (though nothing is sure fire), time is not nearly as much a factor in preventing the TD earlier in the game than it is in the last 2 minutes.

I made it nearly 40% through that before stopping because of feeling physically ill. :puke:

Just complete and utter :cuss: .

By the way, I think that "clutchness" in basketball is vastly over-appreciated. Jordon spent his entire career making crazy one-on-one moves and heaving the ball at the basket. He did it at the end of games, but he also did it at the beginning of games and at every point in the middle of games. Jordan was just better at creating his own shots regardless of the time on the clock . That doesn't make him more "clutch", it's just indicative of the fact that he was an incredibly consistent scorer who was allowed an incredible number of opportunities. I doubt very much that his shooting percentage was higher on the final shot than any other, and even if it was then the logical statement should be "why doesn't he shoot that way the rest of the game", not "wow, he really comes through in the clutch".

One of the things that makes modern basketball FAR and away the most tedious of off the five major sports, is that there is NO shortage of people willing to heave up the ball at every opportunity. There is little in the way of team play, and comparing Jordan heaving a little ball at a basket to anything that ANY quarterback does is largely nonsensical. 

From a standings perspective though, an NFC loss does not hurt you nearly as much as an AFC loss since the conference record is the second tie-breaker after overall record for 2 non-divisional teams.

Sure but I am betting no losses as I think Pats score from one in Carolina for the win and beat the Browns without the PI.

Anything that comes from Skip Bayless should automatically be completely dismissed. He has been a Brady **** licker for yrs. and he has proven himself to be utterly clueless in so many things concerning sports and athlete's that taking anything he says as fact is absolutely laughable. I know he says some things just to get a rise out of people but some stuff is so stupid that it makes you wonder what ever happened to professional integrity. Even if this article has any acceptable arguments, since it come from Bayless...it can't be taken seriously. Bayless is just an *!