Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Division realignment

Colts_Fan12

Guest TeamLoloJones

Put the Dolphins is the AFC South, and the Colts back in the AFC East.  If you made me do it, otherwise I would leave them be. 

I just think a division like the NFC west is too strong while a division like the NFC east is very very weak

That changes every year. Just a couple years ago the AFC west was one of the worst divisions in the league. Now, they're arguably second best. And it wasn't too long ago that the NFC west was the laughing stock of the NFL.

That changes every year. Just a couple years ago the AFC west was one of the worst divisions in the league. Now, they're arguably second best. And it wasn't too long ago that the NFC west was the laughing stock of the NFL.

True but the east has been bad for a very long time also there is the possibility of a team moving to LA

Guest TeamLoloJones

True but the east has been bad for a very long time also there is the possibility of a team moving to LA

There is zero chance that New York, Philly, Dallas, or Washington would ever move their teams.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Not them move a team like jax or oak moving would probably cause the divisions to realign

LA doesn't deserve a team.  They had their chance, multiple times...and blew it.  And how would Oakland moving to LA cause a realignment?

LA doesn't deserve a team. They had their chance, multiple times...and blew it. And how would Oakland moving to LA cause a realignment?

If oak does they won't do anything but if JAX or even STL who has been mentioned does that would cause them to prolly realign The rams IMO should just stay in STL

Guest TeamLoloJones

They could prolly stay the same with STL as well I would just like to see the NFC east split cause they have sucked for to long

The NFC east has won the NFC title twice recently so I disagree with you.

LA doesn't deserve a team.  They had their chance, multiple times...and blew it.  And how would Oakland moving to LA cause a realignment?

I live in san diego, so i can say that, this city does not deserve to have a team at all. But it's not really san diego's fault. people from all over the nation come here in search of paradise, so naturally there will be a diverse population of fans. Also the timing of the games are too inconvenient. Especially the night  games as they start at 5:30. You can't expect people to be able to get off work that early. There's also the fact that the chargers provide nothing to cheer for. I'd say if any move to LA made sense, it would be the chargers. 

I live in san diego, so i can say that, this city does not deserve to have a team at all. But it's not really san diego's fault. people from all over the nation come here in search of paradise, so naturally there will be a diverse population of fans. Also the timing of the games are too inconvenient. Especially the night games as they start at 5:30. You can't expect people to be able to get off work that early. There's also the fact that the chargers provide nothing to cheer for. I'd say if any move to LA made sense, it would be the chargers.

The Chargers honestly would be the best fit for LA. The Chargers ownership scares me though. Read this to see what I'm talking about.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/08/16/qualcomm-stadium/

I live in san diego, so i can say that, this city does not deserve to have a team at all. But it's not really san diego's fault. people from all over the nation come here in search of paradise, so naturally there will be a diverse population of fans. Also the timing of the games are too inconvenient. Especially the night  games as they start at 5:30. You can't expect people to be able to get off work that early. There's also the fact that the chargers provide nothing to cheer for. I'd say if any move to LA made sense, it would be the chargers. 

the reason that LA doesn't get a team is because of gang problems. I live in the Inland Empire next to LA and there are like 90% Raider fans and 10% Charger fans. When the Raiders play the Chargers in San Diego, the Raiders are the majority in those games.

Raiders are just a gangster team. That's why they sent the Chargers to San Diego where all the rich people live. And the Charger fans ONLY support their team when they are having a winning season. If they are losing, no fans go to the game which is why they have so many blackouts. The day they faced the Colts on Monday Night Football, they gave away 10,000 free tickets just to get people to come to the game and ESPN bought another 10,000 just to keep the game going...

I think that the way to solve the problem is to change the Raiders name to something else. But the problem is that it has too much history behind it. Turn them into the Oakland Princesses and make them wear pink. That will solve their gang problem...

If we are winning, why do we need to realign the divisions? If we can fix our offense problems this offseason, we can be dominant for the next few years...

I would only change a couple of other divisions like the Patriots one, their division is way too easy. Or the NFC East. I would love to see all the teams there to get a chance at the Super Bowl, I think it would be verrry interesting.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Too bad Indianapolis isn't in the East...lol

idk what they were thinking of them being there...

Indy is closer to the other AFC East teams than Miami is...but hey look at Dallas being in the NFC East that sure makes a lot of sense.

If we are winning, why do we need to realign the divisions? If we can fix our offense problems this offseason, we can be dominant for the next few years...

I would only change a couple of other divisions like the Patriots one, their division is way too easy. Or the NFC East. I would love to see all the teams there to get a chance at the Super Bowl, I think it would be verrry interesting.

Not saying all need changed but like you said the AFC east is too easy the *s get a free pass to the playoffs every year for god knows how long

Too bad Indianapolis isn't in the East...lol

idk what they were thinking of them being there...

Indy is closer to the other AFC East teams than Miami is...but hey look at Dallas being in the NFC East that sure makes a lot of sense.

:thinking: Perchance have you heard of a city by the name of Baltimore? :thmsup:

Guest TeamLoloJones

:thinking: Perchance have you heard of a city by the name of Baltimore? :thmsup:

Yes, but we were the Indy Colts the last time there was a division realignment.  They said Miami should stay in the East because of the rivalries, but geographically it would have made more sense for Miami to go to the AFC South.

Anyone think the divisions should be realigned?

Also how would you guy realign them if you were in charge?

I'd like the divisions to be realigned to fix the obvious geography issues. Thought it through a few times over the years, and think that the easiest and most logical solution would be:

Patriots             

Jets

Bills

Dolphins

Ravens

Steelers

Browns

Bengals

Ravens

Colts

Texans

Titans

Jaguars

Colts

Dolphins

Broncos

Raiders

Chargers

Chiefs

Giants

Eagles

Redskins

Cowboys

Panthers

Bears

Packers

Vikings

Lions

Saints

Falcons

Bucs

Panthers

Cowboys

49ers

Seahawks

Cardinals

Rams

There are other ways I'm sure, but this would respect most divisional rivalries while correcting the most absurd situations with the least disruption. You might do a better job by crossing conferences but that's a whole different level of tumult. If someone moved to LA, it would probably bump the Chiefs or Rams at a minimum since the are awfully central for teams in the "west".

However some of you guys seem to be talking about this simply because of the distribution of power, and that's just a really lousy reason. Literally by the time they finished making the changes the balance of power would have already shifted. It's not even a remote consideration.

Perhaps 3-5 years seems like a long time to you now. Sadly it's not.

Yes, but we were the Indy Colts the last time there was a division realignment.  They said Miami should stay in the East because of the rivalries, but geographically it would have made more sense for Miami to go to the AFC South.

I agree about the Dolphins - see my other post.

The reason the Colts were moved is probably because the other teams have been together since they were founded, while the Colts came from the old NFL, and then changed cities to boot.

Miami is a long way from everyone except for Jacksonville, so you would think that putting them together would be a priority. However Indy is closer to Tenn than to  ANY of the east teams. If you were only going to move one team, there was a "little" logic to it. I just think that it would have made more sense to move more teams when they had the chance. It would take about two games for new rivalries to develop in place of the old, and the geographic proximity would make it more intense. Look at the Colts/Texans for example. Then when teams played their old rivals it would mean more than interdivisional games mean now.

Imagine if the Colts played the Bengals, Browns, and Steelers - the farthest of them being not much farther than the closest division rival is now. Imagine if Baltimore were once again a modest train ride from their rivals. Imagine inter-Florida games. The college match-ups are nuts, I imagine that these would get there quickly as well. A little short-sighted on the leagues part.

I'd like the divisions to be realigned to fix the obvious geography issues. Thought it through a few times over the years, and think that the easiest and most logical solution would be:

Patriots

Jets

Bills

Dolphins

Ravens

Steelers

Browns

Bengals

Ravens

Colts

Texans

Titans

Jaguars

Colts

Dolphins

Broncos

Raiders

Chargers

Chiefs

Giants

Eagles

Redskins

Cowboys

Panthers

Bears

Packers

Vikings

Lions

Saints

Falcons

Bucs

Panthers

Cowboys

49ers

Seahawks

Cardinals

Rams

There are other ways I'm sure, but this would respect most divisional rivalries while correcting the most absurd situations with the least disruption. You might do a better job by crossing conferences but that's a whole different level of tumult. If someone moved to LA, it would probably bump the Chiefs or Rams at a minimum since the are awfully central for teams in the "west".

However some of you guys seem to be talking about this simply because of the distribution of power, and that's just a really lousy reason. Literally by the time they finished making the changes the balance of power would have already shifted. It's not even a remote consideration.

Perhaps 3-5 years seems like a long time to you now. Sadly it's not.

The geographical issues also bug me its always annoyed me the way it's set up the way you did it was how I thought as well

Anyone think the divisions should be realigned?

Also how would you guy realign them if you were in charge?

Thanks for the post!  I love doing these.   I mentioned a realignment to someone and he said, "You'd be breaking up long time rivalries!"  My response was, "So what?  Get new ones."

Here we go:

AFC  SOUTH:

Tennessee

Houston

Jacksonville

Miami

AFC WEST

Denver

San Diego

Kansas City

Oakland

AFC EAST

New England

Baltimore

NYJ

Buffalo

AFC NORTH

Indy

Cincy

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

NFC NORTH:

GB

Minnesota

Detroit

Chicago

NFC SOUTH:

Atlanta

TB

Dallas

New Orleans

NFC WEST

SF

Arizona

St. Louis

Seattle

NFC EAST

NYG

Philly

Skins

Carolina

If Jacksonville moved to LA (hypothetically) and you didn't care about preserving rivalries (hypothetically) you'd probably end up with this, based on geography:

East:

Patriots

Jets

Bills

Ravens

North:

Steelers

Colts

Browns

Bengals

South:

Titans

Chiefs

Dolphins

Texans

West:

Broncos

L.A. Smog (or equivalent)

Raiders

Chargers

Funny how no matter how you try to set it up the AFC South is always going to end up looking like the division of little lost lambs. Just an inevitable effect of trying to organize a sports league, there's always going to be one division that looks like the people in charge just said "screw it, put the rest of them in here." The AFC South is like the Professor and Mary Ann in the first season of Gilligan's Island.

Three years ago Seattle won the division at 7-9.

The outlook on the divisions change every year. It's not broken so no need for a change.

Would you call our division the AFC Central?

The far left would be NFC West.  The one with Dallas I could call AFC West.  Florida division = NFC South.  Panthers division would be AFC South.  NFC North remains the same.  The ones on the right would be AFC and NFC East.  That leaves us with AFC North...just using my own random method haha

The NFC E was considered one of the strongest division for years.  They may not have won a slew of superbowls, but for the better part of the past 2 decades, it was typically regarded as one of the toughest divisions in football.  The NFC E recent slip started at earliest last year.

If Jacksonville moved to LA (hypothetically) and you didn't care about preserving rivalries (hypothetically) you'd probably end up with this, based on geography:

East:

Patriots

Jets

Bills

Ravens

North:

Steelers

Colts

Browns

Bengals

South:

Titans

Chiefs

Dolphins

Texans

West:

Broncos

L.A. Smog (or equivalent)

Raiders

Chargers

Funny how no matter how you try to set it up the AFC South is always going to end up looking like the division of little lost lambs. Just an inevitable effect of trying to organize a sports league, there's always going to be one division that looks like the people in charge just said "screw it, put the rest of them in here." The AFC South is like the Professor and Mary Ann in the first season of Gilligan's Island.

Makes sense if the the Jags move to LA.  If the Rams do, then St. Louis could be in the NFC West anyway so their division wouldn't change if a move happened.