Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With the #1 pick in the draft, the Houston Texans select...

AllYouNeedIsLuck

The way you worded it was as if the Texans would draft a QB #1 hoping Case Keenum would become this "real deal" so they can trade their rookie #1 QB midseason.

I'd like to add that Case Keenum is bad. If the Texans see anything in one of the top QBs they will draft one or trade back a bit if #1 is too high for who they like.

Admitted it was worded badly.

I have not decided if I think he is "bad", but like I said originally I do not think he is a franchise QB.  I agree they pretty much have too take a QB even if they aren't 100%.  I don't know if they will find someone willing to trade up unless the other team really fell in love one QB. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if they draft clowney ima be too mad....Watt and Clowney...honestly i don't see them drafting a qb cuz i think case is their guy this is basically his rookie year so i'm pretty sure they are gonna let him grow...they need a corner or safty tho...

I'd be happy if they got Clowney.  Getting Clowney would be about the worst thing they could do.  Clowney isn't going to turn their franchise around like a new QB would.  But with a new coaching staff you can be about 90% certain the new staff is gonna want to get it's own guy at QB.

Even if they don't want to get a new QB they should then auction off the draft pick to the highest bidder.  Bridgewater could probably command at least an RG3 level deal.  

I'd be happy if they got Clowney. Getting Clowney would be about the worst thing they could do. Clowney isn't going to turn their franchise around like a new QB would. But with a new coaching staff you can be about 90% certain the new staff is gonna want to get it's own guy at QB.

Even if they don't want to get a new QB they should then auction off the draft pick to the highest bidder. Bridgewater could probably command at least an RG3 level deal.

I think you'd be very naive to be happy with Houston taking Clowney. He's a much more sure fire pick than any QB with the ability to be one of the best pass rushers from day one and put him on a line with JJ Watt and Antonio Smith. How the hell do you block them?

Sure top QBs are great but they flop as much as any other position.

For the record, I see Texans taking a QB with there first pick but I sure as hell am not cheering if they draft Clowney.

I think you'd be very naive to be happy with Houston taking Clowney. He's a much more sure fire pick than any QB with the ability to be one of the best pass rushers from day one and put him on a line with JJ Watt and Antonio Smith. How the hell do you block them?

For the record, I see Texans taking a QB with there first pick but I sure as hell am not cheering if they draft Clowney.

I would prefer they take Clowney than Anthony Barr if the pass on a QB

Because a QB would improve their team more then Clowney and auctioning off that pick to the highest bidder would improve their team more then Clowney.  Sure with Clowney, assuming he doesn't bust (There is a possiblity of that since reports seem to indicate that he's not totally committed to football.) the Texans would have a terrifying pass rush.  But that's about it.  

Because a QB would improve their team more then Clowney and auctioning off that pick to the highest bidder would improve their team more then Clowney. Sure with Clowney, assuming he doesn't bust (There is a possiblity of that since reports seem to indicate that he's not totally committed to football.) the Texans would have a terrifying pass rush. But that's about it.

You're assuming the QB they draft turns into a good player. Sure a great QB is more important than a great pass rusher to a team but in my eyes Clowney will be a much better OLB/DE than any of the top prospects at QB will be at said position.

Guest TeamLoloJones

You're assuming the QB they draft turns into a good player. Sure a great QB is more important than a great pass rusher to a team but in my eyes Clowney will be a much better OLB/DE than any prospect at QB will be at said position.

If the Texans are drafting #1 and don't take a qurterback, they would be much better served drafting Barr.  He's a much better fit for the 3-4 defense, and in my opinion Barr is a better overall player than Clowney.

If the Texans are drafting #1 and don't take a qurterback, they would be much better served drafting Barr. He's a much better fit for the 3-4 defense, and in my opinion Barr is a better overall player than Clowney.

I'll take your word for it (as I said, I know nothing about Barr) but just 4 months ago Clowney was the greatest college pass rusher of all time. I'm confident he will be dominant at OLB or DE in the NFL.

If the Texans are drafting #1 and don't take a qurterback, they would be much better served drafting Barr.  He's a much better fit for the 3-4 defense, and in my opinion Barr is a better overall player than Clowney.

If you have a chance at Clowney, you change your defense to make him fit.

I'll take your word for it (as I said, I know nothing about Barr) but just 4 months ago Clowney was the greatest college pass rusher of all time. I'm confident he will be dominant at OLB or DE in the NFL.

He will. He's still the best dlineman prospect in decades.

Guest TeamLoloJones

He will. He's still the best dlineman prospect in decades.

This is where you and I disagree. (respectfully)  I would take Barr over Clownery, regardless of scheme.  I think Barr has the same pass rushing prowess as Clowney, but Barr is the more athletic and versatile player.  Plus there is zero character issuse with Barr.  Clowney just doesn't seem to have the "team first" mentality.

This is where you and I disagree. (respectfully)  I would take Barr over Clownery, regardless of scheme.  I think Barr has the same pass rushing prowess as Clowney, but Barr is the more athletic and versatile player.  Plus there is zero character issuse with Barr.  Clowney just doesn't seem to have the "team first" mentality.

More athletic? Clowney is like 270 lbs and runs a 4.4.

Typically I would agree, but not in the Texans scenario. Clowney might be a great defensive player (which I expect him to be) but the already have the best defender in the league and he has excelled in a different scheme. I wouldn't move JJ Watt into an unknown simply to accommodate Clowney, Barr is a more logical choice as a 3-4 OLB.

You're assuming the QB they draft turns into a good player. Sure a great QB is more important than a great pass rusher to a team but in my eyes Clowney will be a much better OLB/DE than any of the top prospects at QB will be at said position.

Your assuming that Clowney will work out too.  From everything I've read on this, QB's don't actually bust any more often then players at other positions, they are just higher profile because not only are they QB's but they also tend to go in the top 5 pretty often.  

And lets be honest. . . Schaub who limited his team back when they had a lot more talent proved that you don't get a franchise QB through a trade.

Typically I would agree, but not in the Texans scenario. Clowney might be a great defensive player (which I expect him to be) but the already have the best defender in the league and he has excelled in a different scheme. I wouldn't move JJ Watt into an unknown simply to accommodate Clowney, Barr is a more logical choice as a 3-4 OLB.

Watt plays 43 DE almost 40% of the time. Plus, his role in Phillip's defense is basically that of a 43 DE anyway, plus he played 43 DE in college.

I hope they take Manziel. Colossal bust waiting to happen!!! I find it amazing that some still think the Texans are just a QB away. This team is a complete and total fraud and have been for several yrs. now. They are a mess from top to bottom with an out of control salary cap. They need to completely rebuild and think about trading away the few good players they have.

Watt plays 43 DE almost 40% of the time. Plus, his role in Phillip's defense is basically that of a 43 DE anyway, plus he played 43 DE in college.

This is so true I just hope they don't take Clowney for our sake and Andrews if they do we all better pray Grigs fixes the o line next year our Watt and Clowney will destroy our line

Guest TeamLoloJones

More athletic? Clowney is like 270 lbs and runs a 4.4.

Speed and athleticism are not exactly the same thing.  Barr has better change of direction speed, and reaction time.  He diagnoses plays better, he doesn't over rush nearly as much, and he doesn't take plays off.  Barr is very solid dropping back in coverage,  Clowney, if he actually had to do that as an OLB, would be a liability.  Teams run the ball right at Clowney (albeit some of the reason for that is he is very good as a backside tackler) but teams don't do that with Barr.  They try to avoid him completely.

Sign Lovie Smith as head coach move to 4-3 defense, draft Clowney with 1st pick, draft Manziel top of 2nd if he is still available. Draft ILB in 3rd. Done

If I were hiring a new head coach for the Texans, I would give Pep Hamilton a call right away. :D

Sign Lovie Smith as head coach move to 4-3 defense, draft Clowney with 1st pick, draft Manziel top of 2nd if he is still available. Draft ILB in 3rd. Done

If they move to a 43, the ILB depth problem fixes itself, and they dont need to worry about it as much. Draft corner or safety in the 3rd if you want to draft defense and go 43 imo.

If they move to a 43, the ILB depth problem fixes itself, and they dont need to worry about it as much. Draft corner or safety in the 3rd if you want to draft defense and go 43 imo.

Who will play Will LB with Cushing playing Mike? Sharpton? No they need another ILB to pair with Cushing whether they go 4-3 or 3-4 doesn't matter. And move Brooks Reed to 4-3 OLB, Antonio Smith and Watt inside, Mercilus and Clowney as ends, just stated LB Core, DBs stay the same with Manning coming back, just need a good Nickel back in draft to replace Bryce McCain. Don't know about their free agent situations so ima leave that out go by their current players

Speed and athleticism are not exactly the same thing. Barr has better change of direction speed, and reaction time. He diagnoses plays better, he doesn't over rush nearly as much, and he doesn't take plays off. Barr is very solid dropping back in coverage, Clowney, if he actually had to do that as an OLB, would be a liability. Teams run the ball right at Clowney (albeit some of the reason for that is he is very good as a backside tackler) but teams don't do that with Barr. They try to avoid him completely.

I disagree with all of that. Clowney is better at all of those things. And ive never seen a team run towards Clowney with any success.

Sign Lovie Smith as head coach move to 4-3 defense, draft Clowney with 1st pick, draft Manziel top of 2nd if he is still available. Draft ILB in 3rd. Brooks Reed goes to 4-3 OLB. Done

And watch Lovie hire the worst OC available

Have you watched much of Clowney this yr.? Not very impressive IMO.

Yes I have. The demise of Clowney is a media manufatured story. He still influences the play even when facing double and triple teams even if he doesn't get the raw numbers.

The only question about him effort. He reminds me of Julius Peppers in that regard, but I don't think it'll be a problem in the NFL as he's trying his hardest to avoid injury in college.

Based purely in physical upside, he's still he best Dline prospect ever.

Yes I have. The demise of Clowney is a media manufatured story. He still influences the play even when facing double and triple teams even if he doesn't get the raw numbers.

The only question about him effort. He reminds me of Julius Peppers in that regard, but I don't think it'll be a problem in the NFL as he's trying his hardest to avoid injury in college.

Based purely in physical upside, he's still he best Dline prospect ever.

Might be, he has the skills to be the best d-line prospect, but I don't know if he has the will. Like you said, his effort leaves a little to be desired and it always makes me wonder how a guy like that will do once they get paid. I like him, but I think many have put him on this other worldly pedestal with unrealistic expectations. He's a man playing amongst boys in college, he will be playing amongst other men in the pro's. Not sure he'll have as much of an impact as many think he will.

Your assuming that Clowney will work out too.  From everything I've read on this, QB's don't actually bust any more often then players at other positions, they are just higher profile because not only are they QB's but they also tend to go in the top 5 pretty often.  

And lets be honest. . . Schaub who limited his team back when they had a lot more talent proved that you don't get a franchise QB through a trade.

Yes, as I said it's my opinion Clowney will be a better player at his position than any of the QBs will be. I also think it's silly to be happy if the Texans take him when he has JJ Watt potential and he'll be playing next to JJ Watt. You stated it as if it's black and white, set and stone, done deal, " QB would improve their team more then Clowney and auctioning off that pick to the highest bidder would improve their team more then Clowney". Do you have a crystal ball?

I also stated I still think they will draft a QB. Schaub has been dragging the Texans down for years, some people are just late to the party.