Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Terrible OL play [Merge]

Indianapolis-Colts-Fan

Yes Bad game all the way around. All  coaches are responsable for getting the team ready for the games, but its up to the OC to manage and relay play calling if he continues calling same plays without results and do not use his talent correctly in situations the the team will lose. I have watched the past few games with interest and it looks as if the team were not prepared for what was coming at them  

Offensive minded coaches, this isn't the 80's or 90's were in a passing league. Pagano and Pep are holding Luck back from being  great.

Sure they have hold him back, but we cant blame them for letting Luck go 3 and out all the time...

Even when he does get the chance to pass the ball, he gets almost sacked every time...

Yeah, but Pep has no NFL experience at OC...he is learning on the job...just like Pagano is learning on the job at HC.

Arians can run circles around both these guys at either job...but he has a ton of NFL experience.

I suppose we have to put up with amateur HC and OC for a couple of years...unless Big Jim pulls the plug on them 'learning on the job' at his expense and replaces them with an experienced NFL HC and experienced NFL OC.

I just don't understand why we cant demote someone in the coaching staff. Why not put the assistant as the coordinator and Pep as an assistant...

Look at this season versus last season.  We won last season, even while injured, because we utilized our personnel to their strengths.  It doesn't take a genius or even someone who doesn't work at an Apple Store to see that is not taking place this season. That falls distinctly on the coaches.  Sorry if that offends anyone.

A few things:

1.If you take Lucks two runs out that went for 31 yards the rest of the team ran 13 times for 49 yards....That's not great by any means or real good at 3.7 yards per carry but not bad

2.Luck is actually on pace to get hit less the last year, Last year we were giving up 7.2 hits per game and 41 sacks compared to this year 6.8 hit per game given up and 23 sacks to this point. Do I think Pep has been a great play caller? No but he has taken some risks, Has shown he is not afraid to put it in Lucks hands......People forget that its not up to the OC where the ball goes ...That's on the QB

3.Deffering when we get the toss has no bearing on our slow starts...It allows us to the first crack in the 2nd half

4.We have minimal talent on the O Line but Luck hols onto the ball alot

Playing calling is horrible on both sides.  No excuse for defense to be this bad.  Sure, pass rush, outside of Mathis, is lacking.  But we have solid players across the board and we are playing like the Jaquars.  Offensively, obviously, we are missing many key players and the interior of the line is horrid.  But doesn't excuse unimaginative play calling. We don't have the horses to line up and do power running.  We can do better.

A few things:

1.If you take Lucks two runs out that went for 31 yards the rest of the team ran 13 times for 49 yards....That's not great by any means or real good at 3.7 yards per carry but not bad

2.Luck is actually on pace to get hit less the last year, Last year we were giving up 7.2 hits per game and 41 sacks compared to this year 6.8 hit per game given up and 23 sacks to this point. Do I think Pep has been a great play caller? No but he has taken some risks, Has shown he is not afraid to put it in Lucks hands......People forget that its not up to the OC where the ball goes ...That's on the QB

3.Deffering when we get the toss has no bearing on our slow starts...It allows us to the first crack in the 2nd half

4.We have minimal talent on the O Line but Luck hols onto the ball alot

If the O line is this bad then why does pep call three straight run plays knowing the results are negative. I notice Andrew hardly calls any audibles or goes to his check down when under duress. 

Pep would be okay if he would transition away from the power run game we do not have the personnel to run and into more of a west coast offense. I thought that's what he was hired to do. It's been 11 games and I still have no idea what this team's offensive identity is. Basically, it's: say a prayer and hope Luck can save you in the 2nd half.

great post

We need new coaches next year.

We honestly need to define what we are going to become. Draft #1 passer, best prospect since elway, give a #1 draft pick for the next jim brown. Have an oline that cant block for the run or the pass. Pick 17 TE's up and place them on the active roster.

What does this team want to become, great passer, good runners or great runners, good passing. You can't have both and field a team.

Offensive minded coaches, this isn't the 80's or 90's were in a passing league. Pagano and Pep are holding Luck back from being great.

So guys like belichik, Mike Tomlin, Gus Bradley, Dennis Allen, Ron Rivera, Pete carroll, Marvin lewis, etc etc should all be sent packing because they're defensive minded coaches and its not the 80s/90s anymore?

Look at this season versus last season.  We won last season, even while injured, because we utilized our personnel to their strengths.  It doesn't take a genius or even someone who doesn't work at an Apple Store to see that is not taking place this season. That falls distinctly on the coaches.  Sorry if that offends anyone.

Last year even with some injuries we still had Ballard, Wayne and Allen. Not many teams could lose 5 key starters and continue to produce.

So guys like belichik, Mike Tomlin, Gus Bradley, Dennis Allen, Ron Rivera, Pete carroll, Marvin lewis, etc etc should all be sent packing because they're defensive minded coaches and its not the 80s/90s anymore?

Belicheck still uses a high uptempo offense and has been since the rules changed in 04. Sean Payton, Mccarthy, and Andy Reid still use it and those are the best coaches. The guys you named are average at best and Tomlin just took over a great team left by Cowher.

First let me premise this post by saying I'm in no way defending the coaches. I'm just as mad as the rest of you. BUT....I will say I do think Pagano and Hamilton's scheme's can succeed in the NFL. They just need to go a different approach with it. Think of all the high-flying, read-option, passing attacks, spread this and that offenses in college today. Yet, Stanford consistently has one of the top offenses in college. I know the NFL is a different beast altogether, but Harbaugh brought it with him and when he had a capable passer it worked wonderfully...with a DOMINANT O-line. That is the entire key to the schemes they want to run. A dominant O-line and D-line. Right now we have neither and it isn't even close. Instead of continually trying to fit the players to the scheme, they need to fit the scheme to the players we have right now and focus solely on the trenches and WR's this offseason. Nothing else should even be thought about once our season ends.

Belicheck still uses a high uptempo offense and has been since the rules changed in 04. Sean Payton, Mccarthy, and Andy Reid still use it and those are the best coaches. The guys you named are average at best and Tomlin just took over a great team left by Cowher.

Way too early to label several of the coaches I named as "average at best". And I think Carroll has proven he's better than average. rivera has carolina playing very well. And the Jury is still out on Bradley, Allen, and pagano.

Maybe we should stop using Joe Reitz as a power TE and put him back into the lineup at LG where he played last year. Thornton could move to RG to replace McGlynn and Holmes at C for Satele. If we keep expecting McGlynn and Satele to start we are going to keep getting the same results.

Maybe we should stop using Joe Reitz as a power TE and put him back into the lineup at LG where he played last year. Thornton could move to RG to replace McGlynn and Holmes at C for Satele. If we keep expecting McGlynn and Satele to start we are going to keep getting the same results.

I agree, I don't know why the coaches won't reshuffle the interior line.  It can't make things much worse.

When Luck is pressured and throws a pick six, it's the lines fault. When Richardson is pressured and loses yards, it's Richardsons fault.

Oh my god, he's horrible. There's no defending his play at this point. Even if our line is absolute garbage, everyone else has ran fine behind it, and if he's supposedly a back of 1st round talent, he should be able to get even average numbers, regardless of the line. He's not even doing THAT right now

Oh my god, he's horrible. There's no defending his play at this point. Even if our line is absolute garbage, everyone else has ran fine behind it, and if he's supposedly a back of 1st round talent, he should be able to get even average numbers, regardless of the line. He's not even doing THAT right now

I agree to a point....kinda hard to run the ball effectively when you have trailed in the 1st half of the past 4 games 93-12. NOBODY ran the ball good vs the Cardinals yesterday, well maybe Luck lol.........This is just MY opinion but RB or TRich for that matter is last thing the Colts need to be worrying about. 

My biggest complaint with Grigson is on the offensive line.   Irsay seems to like to use the Patriots as a model.  Notice the Patriots always put a premium on protecting Brady.  Sometimes it seems like he has 10 seconds to throw the ball.  And the logic is if you have an elite QB with a good offensive line, he is going to find someone to get the ball to. And the running attack is going to be solid.   So I really wish Grigson would have went all in on the O-Line in the off season.  Satele and McGlynn are just horrible.  Thornton shows promise but has a ways to go.  I would have loved, instead of a guy like Walden, to have gotten another guard.  And another center.  Who cares if they already gave Satele bucks.    Having a good offensive line would have changed everything on offense.   Right now Richardson and Brown would be running much better and Luck would have more time to find the backup WRs.   Brady often plays with scrubs and still has 10 seconds to get them the ball.

I am not one to rip Richardson too much.    I blame the OLine and Hamilton for running him to the A gaps where the defense is killing us.