Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 NFL Free Agent Signings and Draft Strategy

Apparently we will have some money to spend in free agency again, and it is never too early to look ahead. Here is one scenario that I am fond of:

Free Agency:

Jon Asamoah: Right Guard from Kansas City Chiefs; he would tremendously upgrade the o-line and upgrade a position that has plagued us the last couple years.

Julian Edelman: WR Patriots; I think we can get him for a 3 year deal at a reasonable price; he has great speed and an ability to catch the ball. He has some size as well. Good complement to Wayne and Hilton.

Paul Soliai: DT Miami Dolphins; another guy I think we can get for a decent price on a 2 to 3 year deal. This signing depends on what I cannot see and that is the development of Montori Hughes and Josh Chapman.

Anthony Spencer: OLB Cowboys: I would be interested to see if we can get a 2 year deal similar to what Cliff Avril signed to play with Seattle, minimum investment for a guy transitioning to a 3/4; also depends on his recovery from injury

Current Colts Free Agents

Pat McAfee, Adam Vinatieri, Vontae Davis, and Antoine Bethea: I think Vontae Davis and McAfee are a must to re-sign; Bethea would be nice at the right price as would Vinatieri.

NFL DRAFT

I would try to trade back from the 2nd round into the 3rd round or even further and try to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd in the 2015 NFL draft.

2 guys I think we might get in the 3rd/4th round: Antone Exum from Virgina Tech (corner with size who could play FS) and Henry Anderson from Stanford (6' 6" DT who can play end in the 3/4; good size and speed combo)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

You know you're saying you support the trade, right?

OP, how much do you think we'll have to spend?

About $40 Million before re-signing anyone.  (If we have any rollover it will be minimal)

Subtract $10 Million for draft picks, dead money, and a cushion to go into the season with.

And subtract about $15-$20 Million  to re-sign our own guys. (If we re-sign pretty much everyone, which we won't, but I want to underestimate how much we will have)

That should leave us with about $10-$15 at least to go shopping with.

About $40 Million before re-signing anyone.  (If we have any rollover it will be minimal)

Subtract $10 Million for draft picks, dead money, and a cushion to go into the season with.

And subtract about $15-$20 Million  to re-sign our own guys. (If we re-sign pretty much everyone, which we won't, but I want to underestimate how much we will have)

Nice. Are you assuming the same cap number as this year? Vontea is a must sign. The others are all negotiable IMO. We can franchise the boomstick again.

I hope it's spent on a couple o linemen. I really don't want any big money skill players.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I see Grigson at the WR position trying to land Eric Decker or swing a deal for Maclin. Don't think anyone wants Edelman.

I wouldn't mind Edelman if he came cheap.  He could be a good #4 WR, and then we could have him returning punts instead of keeping T.Y. in harm's way.  Plus taking another weapon away from Brady isn't a bad thing.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Nice. Are you assuming the same cap number as this year? Vontea is a must sign. The others are all negotiable IMO. We can franchise the boomstick again.

I hope it's spent on a couple o linemen. I really don't want any big money skill players.

No.  Our cap space next year will be similar to this year though.  The biggest differences are that next year we will only have about 2 million in dead money.  This year it was over 8 million.  And that next year we also have more of our own guys to pay.  I think when it's all said and done we won't have a ton of money for top tier free agents.  Maybe enough for one (maybe two) blue chip guys.  Grigson has shown to not go after the blue chippers (is that a real phrase?)  but since we don't need nearly as many players this year, maybe things change.  I want to exhaust all resources until our o-line is a dominant one.  Honestly if we spent every single cent on o-lineman, and then draft everything else, I would be satisfied.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I signed in just to agree with you Team Lolo!!!!! Fix the oline!!

haha Thanks!  You should like Smonroe's comment too, he basically said the same thing.

We are in desperate need of another pass rusher.

The interior line is the most obvious need, and an upgrade at ILB would be nice as well, especially someone good in coverage.

Let's not kid ourselves, we really need a receiver as well, however I fully expect this to come through the draft.

For what it's worth,  most think Henry Anderson will return to Stanford for one more year.   He missed half the season with a bad knee, so he hasn't done/shown much.    Could he come out early?   Yes.     Will he?    Most think not.

As for the draft and FA....

I want to address our offensive needs through free agency.   We can't afford to draft players who need a year or so to figure things out.   We need players who can step in on Day One.    I want someone like Mack, the center,  to end our problems in the middle of the line once and for all.    Thomas returns from injury and Thornton should be a year better as should Holmes.

We'll also need a quality (but not great) WR to supplement what we have.

I want to address our defensive needs through the draft.  We need young fresh talent.    I'd like a DL/Pass Rushing player in R2, and the best DB in R3, with a preference to corner over safety.   (By the way, Boyett was just signed this week by Denver to their practice squad.  Sorry to lose him)     In R5,  I want to trade up toward the top of the round by trading our 2015 5th round pick to move u roughly 20 spots and find the best ILB.    It's a one or two down position, so I don't want to over draft a position that's not always on the field.

With any other picks(s) we may have....   I'll be happy with BPA, with an eye on finding a long-term developmental OL.

That's my early X-mas wish list!       :thmup:

Hey guys - 

I am not a huge college football follower - but I AM a big Louisville fan.

WR Devante Parker has had an incredible year and I never hear anyone mention him.

Any observations/analysis?  Could we land him in the 3rd/4th?

Thanks.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Hey guys - 

I am not a huge college football follower - but I AM a big Louisville fan.

WR Devante Parker has had an incredible year and I never hear anyone mention him.

Any observations/analysis?  Could we land him in the 3rd/4th?

Thanks.

He's been mentioned in a few mock drafts, so he hasn't gone unnoticed.  I like him.  I've been looking around for good receivers that we could get in the late third, or even in the fifth.  Parker is on my list, so is Jared Abbrederis (Wisconsin), Paul Richardson (Colorado), Jeremy Gallon (Michigan), and Brandin Cooks (Oregon State) 

If were lucky and Rogers's develops we won't have to worry about WR just yet and I'm all for spending our FA money on the Oline and drafting the other positions of need I really hope Mack tests FA slim chance but still a chane and I agree with OP about Jon Asamoah

Mack may have some perverse LUV of the Cleveland Franchise and look forward to working with Whoever their Next QB might turn out to be.

Or he might like the idea of being on Prime Time as much as any Center will be for the length of his contract and having many REAL opportunities to be a COLTS SB Champion! Will Griggs look at it that way?

Mack might Pick US!

I don`t want Any of this guys FA choices. OK, maybe Edelman if Reggie has a problem coming back.

We need a younger, faster, better pass defender than Bethea. That may mean Bethea still comes back and we draft/develope.

Bethea`s knowledge and tackling ability make him a nice plus in run support, and he is about a 5.5 (Not good enough) as a pass defender.

Whatever. It just needs to get done.

It is a #1 priority to give the offense an O-Line that is arguably Top Ten. haha! Do all teams think that?

Mack may have some perverse LUV of the Cleveland Franchise and look forward to working with Whoever their Next QB might turn out to be.

Or he might like the idea of being on Prime Time as much as any Center will be for the length of his contract and having many REAL opportunities to be a COLTS SB Champion! Will Griggs look at it that way?

Mack might Pick US!

I don`t want Any of this guys FA choices. OK, maybe Edelman if Reggie has a problem coming back.

We need a younger, faster, better pass defender than Bethea. That may mean Bethea still comes back and we draft/develope.

Bethea`s knowledge and tackling ability make him a nice plus in run support, and he is about a 5.5 (Not good enough) as a pass defender.

Whatever. It just needs to get done.

It is a #1 priority to give the offense an O-Line that is arguably Top Ten. haha! Do all teams think that?

Hey I hope he tests FA and picks us I will be one happy guy add Asamoah with him and our line should start to look like a real NFL O line not a HS line lol

As of right now, we have about $800k in dead money for 2014. Even if we release some guys and incur some more dead money going into next year, it should be more than offset by the unpaid salaries. And based on the picks we have right now, only our second rounder will count against the early cap, and only for about $750k. The rest of our draft picks won't be top 51 cap hits. So I don't think we should subtract $10m for picks, dead money and a cushion. I think about $5m should do it.

The big question is which guys we re-sign, and for how much. I think $15m is probably the high end.

Apparently we will have some money to spend in free agency again, and it is never too early to look ahead. Here is one scenario that I am fond of:

Free Agency:

Jon Asamoah: Right Guard from Kansas City Chiefs; he would tremendously upgrade the o-line and upgrade a position that has plagued us the last couple years.

Julian Edelman: WR Patriots; I think we can get him for a 3 year deal at a reasonable price; he has great speed and an ability to catch the ball. He has some size as well. Good complement to Wayne and Hilton.

Paul Soliai: DT Miami Dolphins; another guy I think we can get for a decent price on a 2 to 3 year deal. This signing depends on what I cannot see and that is the development of Montori Hughes and Josh Chapman.

Anthony Spencer: OLB Cowboys: I would be interested to see if we can get a 2 year deal similar to what Cliff Avril signed to play with Seattle, minimum investment for a guy transitioning to a 3/4; also depends on his recovery from injury

Pat McAfee, Adam Vinatieri, Vontae Davis, and Antoine Bethea: I think Vontae Davis and McAfee are a must to re-sign; Bethea would be nice at the right price as would Vinatieri.

NFL DRAFT

I would try to trade back from the 2nd round into the 3rd round or even further and try to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd in the 2015 NFL draft.

2 guys I think we might get in the 3rd/4th round: Antone Exum from Virgina Tech (corner with size who could play FS) and Henry Anderson from Stanford (6' 6" DT who can play end in the 3/4; good size and speed combo)

I dont like none of it we have Thornton and Thomas, holmes will take over for satele , eldeman and solio we dont need them we have chapman and montori , rogers if he plays well will be on the outside with ty with wayne in the slot , are biggest need is cornerback and MLb we need to draft that in the draft and if thier is a corner in free agency make that move but the MLb or corner in the 2nd and 3rd whixh ever u pick

Guest TeamLoloJones

As of right now, we have about $800k in dead money for 2014. Even if we release some guys and incur some more dead money going into next year, it should be more than offset by the unpaid salaries. And based on the picks we have right now, only our second rounder will count against the early cap, and only for about $750k. The rest of our draft picks won't be top 51 cap hits. So I don't think we should subtract $10m for picks, dead money and a cushion. I think about $5m should do it.

The big question is which guys we re-sign, and for how much. I think $15m is probably the high end.

Yeah...I was underestimating how much money we will have.  Kind of trying to find the smallest number I could throw out there as far as available cash so I don't end up give people too much excitement.  I don't have exact figures in front of me either, so someone with better knowledge can step in and give a better breakdown.

Yeah...I was underestimating how much money we will have.  Kind of trying to find the smallest number I could throw out there as far as available cash so I don't end up give people too much excitement.  I don't have exact figures in front of me either, so someone with better knowledge can step in and give a better breakdown.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap-hit/2014/

According to that, before we release, re-sign or tag anyone, our cap figure for 2014 is $81m. If the cap stays at $123m, we have $42m in cap space to do our business. (As it pertains to releases and dead money, I don't think there's anyone likely to be released that would give us a net negative in dead money. For instance, if we release Satele, the dead money is just over $1m, but the net savings to the cap is $4.3m. The only guys that would have a significant net negative would be Luck, Cherilus, Landry and Werner, and none of them are going anywhere.)

I think we'll re-sign Davis and McAfee, and we might re-sign Bethea. It's less likely, but possible, that we re-sign Brown, Angerer, Conner, and a few other lower level free agents. Figuring that part out is practically impossible.

But projecting $25-30m in cap space after we re-sign our own guys and lock up our draft class is reasonable. 

According to that, before we release, re-sign or tag anyone, our cap figure for 2014 is $81m. If the cap stays at $123m, we have $42m in cap space to do our business.

I think we'll re-sign Davis and McAfee, and we might re-sign Bethea. It's less likely, but possible, that we re-sign Brown, Angerer, Conner, and a few other lower level free agents. Figuring that part out is practically impossible.

But projecting $25-30m in cap space after we re-sign our own guys and lock up our draft class is reasonable.

Boy I hope so 25-30 mil sounds great lets all hope it's that much

Guest TeamLoloJones

According to that, before we release, re-sign or tag anyone, our cap figure for 2014 is $81m. If the cap stays at $123m, we have $42m in cap space to do our business. 

With that much coin, and the allure of playing with Luck, we should be able to sign just about anybody that Grigson wants (one would think)

I dont like none of it we have Thornton and Thomas, holmes will take over for satele , eldeman and solio we dont need them we have chapman and montori , rogers if he plays well will be on the outside with ty with wayne in the slot , are biggest need is cornerback and MLb we need to draft that in the draft and if thier is a corner in free agency make that move but the MLb or corner in the 2nd and 3rd whixh ever u pick

Thorton has yet to prove anything

Thomas suffered his second season ending injury in a small number of starts

Chapman and Montori haven't proven much

Rodgers playing well is a HUGE if

Reggie, Mathis, and Redding are all on the wrong side of 30, yet you think corner is the biggest need when Davis, Toler and Butler are all in their primes?

With that much coin, and the allure of playing with Luck, we should be able to sign just about anybody that Grigson wants (one would think)

Yup. The 2014 numbers are easy to work with. It's the increasing cap numbers from that point forward, along with the signing bonuses and guaranteed money and whatnot that become a challenge. Especially two years from now when it's time to start paying Luck top money.

But if we wanted three or four big money guys next year, we have the cap space to get them.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yup. The 2014 numbers are easy to work with. It's the increasing cap numbers from that point forward, along with the signing bonuses and guaranteed money and whatnot that become a challenge. Especially two years from now when it's time to start paying Luck top money.

But if we wanted three or four big money guys next year, we have the cap space to get them.

That might be a good reason to plan ahead and front load a few contracts.

Resigning Pat McAfee, Adam Vinatieri, Vontae Davis, and Antoine Bethea is a priority.  This isn't Kelvin Hayden and Gary Brackett we are talking about here.  VD (lol) is a very good corner, and corner are hard to come by in the NFL.  Pat Mac is emerging as the best punter in the AFC if not league, and winning the field position game is always a plus.  Vinny, if he comes back for the right price would be a good signing, but if he wants top dollar, I'm sure we can find a replacement.  Antoine Bethea is probably the best safety people have never heard of, resign is a must!

As for as other signings, I don't think we should go outside of the line.  I say majority of the remaining of the money MUST go to the offensive line.  Protecting Luck and opening holes for our backs should be #1 priority.  If we can pick up a cheap weapon, an Avery-ish type player, then that would be good too.  Defense is pretty much taken care of.  Wouldn't mind a nickel and a situation pass rushing OLB.  If Werner blossoms into what we think he will be, then I don't see signing a pass rusher a priority.  Wouldn't hurt to upgrade Angerer either, if there's a chance.

Draft, pretty much BPA if there aren't any good lineman left.  We have starters across the board except for the line.  Heard WR is suppose to be deep so if we can trade up and grab a talented WR, we may have found our future #1 (if Rogers doesn't pan out).  Trading wouldn't hurt because we pretty much safe outside of our starter except for WR & offensive line.  We would basically be drafting for depth majority of the draft.  

Now this is hoping we find what we need in FA and able to resign our own.

Free Agency:

Pat McAfee, Adam Vinatieri, Vontae Davis, and Antoine Bethea: I think Vontae Davis and McAfee are a must to re-sign; Bethea would be nice at the right price as would Vinatieri.

NFL DRAFT

Edelman, Soliai, And Spencer will be big whopping NO WAYS!!! And since when does Edelman have size? The guy is like 5'8" at best, I don't care what they have him listed at. We have no use at all for Soliai because even though you can't see Chapman and Hughes being the guys, I'm pretty sure they are going no where and Spencer had microfracture surgery this yr.. No thanks!!!

It happens all the time bro, when we traded for VD, people ragged on him because he was coming along slow and "OMG A 2nd ROUND PICK!".  Now he's a beast.

yea people need to understand he will be the beast he was on Alabama but pep really need to do stretch plays 

yea people need to understand he will be the beast he was on Alabama but pep really need to do stretch plays 

Get him into open space.  Like Dungy said, he's too big to hit small holes and our line isn't the best at blocking.  Is he to blame for his struggles?  Somewhat, but I think we fix the line we fix him.  He needs bigger which = better blockers.  Donald is smaller and faster so he can hit and squeeze through faster.

This would be an outstanding draft...

Round 3 Pick 5 (T.B.): Louchiez Purifoy, CB, Florida (A)
Round 3 Pick 28: DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State (A)
Round 4 Pick 8 (PITT): Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU (A)
Round 5 Pick 5 (T.B.): Dri Archer, WR, Kent State (A)
Round 5 Pick 8 (PITT): Mike Davis, WR, Texas (B+)
Round 5 Pick 28: Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue (A)
Round 6 Pick 28: Marquis Flowers, OLB, Arizona (A-)
Round 7 Pick 10: Austin Wentworth, OT, Fresno State (A)

In free agency we add to our OL by adding C Alex Mack, and OG Jon Asomoah. We also sign DE Antonio Smith from Houston to give our DL more pass rush.

This would be an outstanding draft...

Round 3 Pick 5 (T.B.): Louchiez Purifoy, CB, Florida (A)

Round 3 Pick 28: DaQuan Jones, DT, Penn State (A)

Round 4 Pick 8 (PITT): Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU (A)

Round 5 Pick 5 (T.B.): Dri Archer, WR, Kent State (A)

Round 5 Pick 8 (PITT): Mike Davis, WR, Texas (B+)

Round 5 Pick 28: Ricardo Allen, CB, Purdue (A)

Round 6 Pick 28: Marquis Flowers, OLB, Arizona (A-)

Round 7 Pick 10: Austin Wentworth, OT, Fresno State (A)

In free agency we add to our OL by adding C Alex Mack, and OG Jon Asomoah. We also sign DE Antonio Smith from Houston to give our DL more pass rush.

That isn't to bad i suppose