Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steelers could get that #6 seeding in the AFC

chad72

Out of all the teams that can tend to play hot at the right time, the Steelers seem to be a team that can finish 9-7 and get that 6th spot.

They have the tie-breaker over the Jets, will host Miami at home for another #6 tie-breaker, and the Jets have to play at Baltimore and at Carolina, not going to be easy for them.

Gosh, I just hope we don't end as the #3 seed having to face the #6 Steelers at home. I'd rather have the Colts be a #4 seed facing the Chiefs or Broncos as a #5, to be honest in the playoffs.

The Steelers are not good. Like, at all. Honestly there are only 5 teams in the AFC that are good, the 6th seed will just be a mediocre team that sneaks in amongst the sea of mediocrity that is the AFC.

I don't know. Those guys are a hard out come playoff time if they manage to get in, very much like the Flacco led Ravens. Their offense seems to have gotten going lately and that should worry most teams that cannot match them offensively since we all know Dick LeBeau saves a lot of things for the playoffs.

I don't know. Those guys are a hard out come playoff time if they manage to get in, very much like the Flacco led Ravens. Their offense seems to have gotten going lately and that should worry most teams that cannot match them offensively since we all know Dick LeBeau saves a lot of things for the playoffs.

They really havent done anything on offense. Its all on Ben and he cant do it consistently without a run game to set him up. Their defense is ancient and slow, and has yet to stop literally anybody. Every offense looks good against them. Its just not the Steelers you are thinking of Chad, these Steelers need a total team rebuild.

Out of all the teams that can tend to play hot at the right time, the Steelers seem to be a team that can finish 9-7 and get that 6th spot.

They have the tie-breaker over the Jets, will host Miami at home for another #6 tie-breaker, and the Jets have to play at Baltimore and at Carolina, not going to be easy for them.

Gosh, I just hope we don't end as the #3 seed having to face the #6 Steelers at home. I'd rather have the Colts be a #4 seed facing the Chiefs or Broncos as a #5, to be honest in the playoffs.

Really doesn't matter a whole lot to me as to who gets the 6 seed. This Colt team can be great or lay a monster egg in any given game. I'm hoping the offense gets better with time as players step up replacing RW. That 6 seed is so up for grabs...I'm of the opinion that none of those teams are that great. I strongly disagree that it would be better to face a Peyton Manning team after he's seen us once and also a game without any winter elements. If KC won that division , then what you want .. not so bad IMO. But wanting Denver rather than Pitt ? Rethink that one a bit and let me know.

Anyway.... no less than 8 teams are within 1 game of each other for that 6th spot. I would think you could throw a small blanket over Balt , Pitt , Miami and SD as they are that close. 

Balt

Cleve

Miami

SD

Pitt

Tenn

Oak

NY

I was thinking the same thing ... about the Ravens though. They have the Jets next at home and have the Steelers on Tgiving night. They could take the 6th seed as well.

If they get in, they'll be very dangerous. They'd have to win a lot of games down the stretch, and they play some good teams. The Browns aren't a pushover, the Ravens are still tough, the Bengals are tough, the Dolphins can play well (they beat us, right?), and the Packers should have Rodgers back and be in a groove. Three of those six are on the road. If the Steelers go 5-1 and make the 6th seed, they will be a tough out.

I personally expect them to be eliminated Week 15 against the Bengals or Week 16 @ Green Bay.

If they get in, they'll be very dangerous. They'd have to win a lot of games down the stretch, and they play some good teams. The Browns aren't a pushover, the Ravens are still tough, the Bengals are tough, the Dolphins can play well (they beat us, right?), and the Packers should have Rodgers back and be in a groove. Three of those six are on the road. If the Steelers go 5-1 and make the 6th seed, they will be a tough out.

I personally expect them to be eliminated Week 15 against the Bengals or Week 16 @ Green Bay.

Finally, someone who sees the way I see it.

Given the history of AFC North teams in the wild card spot, I can almost say with certainty it will be an AFC North team :) and outside the Bengals, whenever it has been the Steelers or Ravens in the #6 spot, it has turned out to be an upset in the wild card round against the #3 (2005 Steelers vs Bengals, 2008 Ravens vs Dolphins, 2009 Ravens vs Patriots). Home field seems to favor the #4 team vs the #5 team more often than the #3 team vs the #6 team, it seems like.

Colts, #5, on a 9 game streak in 2008, go to 8-8 #4 Chargers and lose. Steelers, #5, that people were favoring vs Tebow, go to #4 Broncos and lose. I'm almost tempted to think that Colts will beat the Chiefs even if we have to play them as a #4 seed, based on history. I'd prefer Broncos, Patriots, Bengals, Colts in that order. If the Colts cannot get #2, I'd rather be #4. Plus, whenever the Colts have played the Chiefs in the playoffs, we have gone to the AFCCG (1995, 2003, 2006).

How many of us thought the Steelers were toast in 2005??

One thing about 2005 though, the Steelers did start 6-2.

2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012, the SB winners have at least won 6 of their first 8 games, period. Just goes to show you that you need to start well enough to have equity to lose games down the stretch and yet make the playoffs.

So, this year, the SB winners can only be Broncos, Patriots, Colts, Bengals, Chiefs, Seahawks, Saints, and 49ers. Notable exclusions are Panthers, Bears and Lions. ;)

There is a possibility that the Steelers or Ravens could sneak in the 6th spot, but this year's version of both teams, bear little resemblance to those older teams that did well in the wildcard slot. Could they be a bit dangerous and maybe sneak in a win, yes, but Super Bowl, I highly doubt.

Those older Steeler and Ravens teams were very good and solid, while this year's version of both teams are in rebuilding stages. I will say , however, I like where the Ravens are better in the rebuilding process than the Steelers, as they purged older stars quicker than the Steelers did.

I will host anyone at this point. Just winning the South and being not having anymore serious injuries hopefully and being at home for the playoffs would thrill me (assuming this all happens). I can't be overly picky on who we play, we don't have this luxury anymore......

Steelers/Ravens/Chiefs etc. and heck even Broncos (but I doubt it, think they win the West).....welcome to Indy hopefully....

Who knows, in the playoffs maybe the Colts will show up.

The Steelers and Baltimore could play well on the road in the post-season...in Indy....

....vs. Indy at home...facing slow, immobile QBs....in front of shaky O-lines...I like the Colts....

//but we've seen enough not to think Balt or Pitt cant come through one-time in the playoffs

If the Ravens don't beat the Steelers at home where they usually dominate, you fully deserve your boot out of the playoffs. The Ravens defense is slowly getting better, and Pitta may return against the Steelers.

That being said, the offensive line and running game is a complete mess, and cannot be fixed until next season. This team will be challenged to make the playoffs, but could be somewhat dangerous if they get in, if the can cobble together any semblance of a decent offense.

If the Ravens don't beat the Steelers at home where they usually dominate, you fully deserve your boot out of the playoffs. The Ravens defense is slowly getting better, and Pitta may return against the Steelers.

That being said, the offensive line and running game is a complete mess, and cannot be fixed until next season. This team will be challenged to make the playoffs, but could be somewhat dangerous if they get in, if the can cobble together any semblance of a decent offense.

The winner of Ravens Vs Steelers thanksgiving game probably will make a dangerous 6th seed

No...no....no....no....no...no

They started 0-5, they do not deserve playoffs.

We are tortured enough every single season seeing the Steelers dominate, least we can do is relax and not see them make the playoffs for a second year in a row.

Well said, I am so sick of the Steelers and their obnoxious fans who appear in mass here in Fort Wayne when they play well.  Every time they don't make the playoffs, it's a win for me, regardless of how the Colts perform.  While the Ravens fans may still hate us, I don't directly have to deal with too many of them and they seem to finally have gotten over the move 30 years later. 

As far as the Colts are concerned, this team seems to be falling apart.  They need to get it together before we can talk about playoff opponents. 

I would not want to play Flacco and Ravens in wild card round, he has not had a one and done in 5 playoff years

Chad, anyone we play from the AFC will be a load for us. Unless we get one of our "friends" in the AFC South who like to blow it in Indy or stand around doing nothing for half the game as we comeback and win.

I would not want to play Flacco and Ravens in wild card round, he has not had a one and done in 5 playoff years

We would love to come to Indy, but to get there , we have a lot of work to do. Yes , it was a big win over a hated rival, but you can't afford a letdown. You have to absolutely beat the Vikings at home in 10 days, then you have three tough games at Detroit , New England at home , and at the Bengals. To have a great chance of getting in, you have to win three of those last four to go 9-7. No easy task. All I know is we need a big win by the Colts over the Titans. I will be taking off my Ravens gear and putting on my old tattered Baltimore Colts gear for one day. I will have a one day contract to align myself with the Jimmy Irsay Colts against the Titans. It will be like old times. !

We would love to come to Indy, but to get there , we have a lot of work to do. Yes , it was a big win over a hated rival, but you can't afford a letdown. You have to absolutely beat the Vikings at home in 10 days, then you have three tough games at Detroit , New England at home , and at the Bengals. To have a great chance of getting in, you have to win three of those last four to go 9-7. No easy task. All I know is we need a big win by the Colts over the Titans. I will be taking off my Ravens gear and putting on my old tattered Baltimore Colts gear for one day. I will have a one day contract to align myself with the Jimmy Irsay Colts against the Titans. It will be like old times. !

Big win today for you guys...congrats. Don't worry we'll take care of the titans on sunday. I think we'll pound on the buguls also to help you guys.

Big win today for you guys...congrats. Don't worry we'll take care of the titans on sunday. I think we'll pound on the buguls also to help you guys.

I hope so, we could use the help. We have put ourselves in a bad position losing to bad teams, so we need help. I would love to win the AFC North, but after all of our struggles, a 6th seed wildcard looks real good right now . Go colts !

I hope so, we could use the help. We have put ourselves in a bad position losing to bad teams, so we need help. I would love to win the AFC North, but after all of our struggles, a 6th seed wildcard looks real good right now . Go colts !

The ravens can still do damage in the playoffs. Even though we've suffered severe offensive injuries, i still believe we can put it together...maybe, just maybe. Heck, anything is possible.

The ravens can still do damage in the playoffs. Even though we've suffered severe offensive injuries, i still believe we can put it together...maybe, just maybe. Heck, anything is possible.

I think the Ravens can be very dangerous in the playoffs, but we have to get there first. Jacoby Jones is coming back strong, and Pitta will be back against the Vikings. They now have a 10 days rest to get ready for Minnesota. I hope they get on a roll.

I think the Ravens can be very dangerous in the playoffs, but we have to get there first. Jacoby Jones is coming back strong, and Pitta will be back against the Vikings. They now have a 10 days rest to get ready for Minnesota. I hope they get on a roll.

The best part is the Steelers season is over. I still think Ravens take the North. Bengals will crumble down the stretch and you still have another game with them.

The best part is the Steelers season is over. I still think Ravens take the North. Bengals will crumble down the stretch and you still have another game with them.

Anytime the Steelers lose,it is a great day for America. I'm dubious about winning the North, because of our schedule , but you never know. The game against you guys in Baltimore will be a war. It's turning into a nice mini - rivalry.

Anytime the Steelers lose,it is a great day for America. I'm dubious about winning the North, because of our schedule , but you never know. The game against you guys in Baltimore will be a war. It's turning into a nice mini - rivalry.

Yes, it is. I would like to think that our secondary this year can take away Joe's bombs and make it a short passing game. We'll see. The Ravens D is still formidable and faster without Lewis and Reed.

• 1 month later...