Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What happens with Brown this off-season?

Dustin

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donald Brown will be back. He's the Colts version of Gaffney or Taylor at Stanford. Pep Hamilton is gonna fight to keep him here.

Bradshaw won't be back due to his injury pile ups & Ballard is a question mark coming off the ACL injury.

Not everyone can be Adrian Peterson

Ugh...don't remind me about those injuries.

But of all 3 runningbacks I would love to keep Bradshaw and give him one last chance. Unfortunately we signed Richardson and have to stick to that guy. Maybe he will pull a Donald Brown and get good all of a sudden...

I will admit that I was one of the posters that wanted brown gone. Not gone from the team but, out of RB1 duties. It seems he is doing quite in the change-of-pace role. I would like to see him come back to the team for a couple of reasons... mainly for a sense of continuity in the offense in what should be an off season in which the Colts gear up for the run.

However, I just don't see Brown coming back IF he is offered a nice deal with another team. What is the entire team's contract situation looking like this offseason? Would this be grounds for consideration of using the franchise tag?

I will admit that I was one of the posters that wanted brown gone. Not gone from the team but, out of RB1 duties. It seems he is doing quite in the change-of-pace role. I would like to see him come back to the team for a couple of reasons... mainly for a sense of continuity in the offense in what should be an off season in which the Colts gear up for the run.

However, I just don't see Brown coming back IF he is offered a nice deal with another team. What is the entire team's contract situation looking like this offseason? Would this be grounds for consideration of using the franchise tag?

Without looking it up to be sure, and going purely from memory, $30 million in cap space, Vontae Davis, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Donald Brown, Ahmad Bradshaw, Antione Bethea, Pat Macafee, and I believe Mike McGlynn will all be free agents. Assuming we let DHB, McGlynn, and Bradshae walk, that leaves deals to be made for Davis, Bethea, Macafee, and Brown, as well as a need to sign the people we draft. We could possibly save some cash bu cutting Satele, but we would need another center for depth then.

TL; DR: Its possible, but Donald may need to accept less money to stay in Indy, and will probablu need to be promised a bigger role.

haha this is a joke right

No, Dude...all our backs miss blocks..

..all backs miss blocks..

Note who the coaches have in there on 3rd down in game situations.....the last 2 or 3 years..

If Brown is as bad as you suggest,...why do the coaches put him in on 3rd down.

Because he's the best pass block back we have.

Without looking it up to be sure, and going purely from memory, $30 million in cap space, Vontae Davis, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Donald Brown, Ahmad Bradshaw, Antione Bethea, Pat Macafee, and I believe Mike McGlynn will all be free agents. Assuming we let DHB, McGlynn, and Bradshae walk, that leaves deals to be made for Davis, Bethea, Macafee, and Brown, as well as a need to sign the people we draft. We could possibly save some cash bu cutting Satele, but we would need another center for depth then.

TL; DR: Its possible, but Donald may need to accept less money to stay in Indy, and will probablu need to be promised a bigger role.

We easily have the cap space to sign Davis, Bethea, McAfee, and Brown .... with money left over for other FAs ... Davis will be the biggest contract. I don't believe we offer Bethea a huge contract.  Even if McAfee gets a big contract for a kicker it won't be that much as far as salary cap purposes. 

Satele is set to make $5.3 million in 2014, but after this season we can cut him without penalty ... if we keep him I will lose some respect for Grigson.

Brown's contract would probably cost us $1.5-$2 million a year .... we need to keep him for that ... that's not that much, if he finishes the year strong.

No, Dude...all our backs miss blocks..

..all backs miss blocks..

Note who the coaches have in there on 3rd down in game situations.....the last 2 or 3 years..

If Brown is as bad as you suggest,...why do the coaches put him in on 3rd down.

Because he's the best pass block back we have.

haha that is not true at all. Actually an embarrassing take on your part

1. Vick Ballard

2. Trent Richardson

3. Donald Brown

In my opinion, I think Ballard is the better RB. He was playing well before he got hurt. He's fast and physical.

Trent is more like a Tailback the plays physical.

Donald is a fast-runner and has underrated strength and he's proving himself this year.

Bradshaw is getting up there in age and has injury issues

These different mix of RB will give us an edge.

My opinion of course.  Remember Ballard did rush for around 800 yards his rookie season with a bad OLine and a passing offense under Arians.

I like the yards Brown has gained this year but it is debatable as to if he is the best rb.

physically I'd say no he isn't but he has shown he can do everything Trent can do which is catch out of the backfield, break some tackles and get the tough yards plus he can turn an 8 yard gain into 80 in 1 touch......Now I doubt at this point I would trust Donalds health to do it as an every down Back, He is only averaging 5.5 carries a game...Mentally I think Brown is on another level right now......But he should be, To me when I watch Trent out there running he looks like he is overthinking...I know some people want to blame most if not all of it on the O Line but both are to blame at times, Marshall Faulk did a real good job showing that during our thursday night game. I think when he stops trying to overthink things and trying to do to much at times and takes the approach of slow to the hole fast through the hole then his ypc goes up...Because if the hole the play is designed to go to is not open then his patience to the hole will allow him to change his course to the actual open hole

Manning is one reason Brown was never used correctly in my opinion. He was in love with stutter step and dive Addai.

lmao.

I love when the "Stop making excuses for Trent" crowd skips over a fresh new excuse for Brown's lackluster play all these years.

we invested heavily in Trent ..and we have to stick with him..

Do we?  I was as jazzed as anybody when we picked TRich up.  And it's understandable that an RB might get off to a slow start in a new system.  But I'd say that the grace period is over -- and it's past time to start expecting better production out of him.

Let's not fool ourselves here in the interest of loyalty and unity.  If anybody says they aren't at least somewhat disappointed with what we've gotten from him to this point, they're probably not being fully truthful.

As far as I'm concerned, Donald's the one earning the heavy investment.

manning doesn't like backs that can't block

That was the case then, his blocking has improved but not to the level of Addai or Bradshaw, no way.

Brown has been a victim of playing in a pass heavy offense since he was drafted that did not run enough to give him a rhythm and had a poor run blocking OL under Polian, it has just marginally improved now. He needs rhythm, a few consecutive carries to get him going. With Pep Hamilton's insistence to continue to run (albeit it frustrates us at times), Brown is the biggest beneficiary.

If we ran an offense where a starter like Bradshaw was effective, Brown would be reduced to less touches and lesser numbers. Pep's offense and T-Rich's ineptitude have Brown sitting pretty right now.

Best on the team at rb at this point, Richardson just happens to be bigger and stronger, He struggles in blitz pick up

Donald Brown is worse at pass blocking by a bit according to pff, fwiw. Nobody stacks up to what Bradshaw was doing those first few weeks though.