Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

November 24th Pats - Broncos

Snowglobe

Last year I never hesitated to favor the Pats over the Broncos. This year I am not as certain. Outside a few games like the one vs. the awful Steelers......Brady is not as "on" to me this season. We'll see.

Losses like Wilfork/Mayo could loom larger vs. a team like Denver too. If you don't get some pressure on Manning up front you are going to be toast. Our secondary was lights out at times too, can the Pats mimic this? IMO Luck also did an incredible job at times escaping some pressure......can Brady do that?

I have to see how Denver looks for a game or two without Fox but I think he is incredibly overrated to begin with. I also am not sure if him being out will rally a veteran team like it did with the kids in Indy last year. So we'll see there. I read Elway called Grigson and JDR to Arians so I am curious if they are picking their brains a bit on the inspirational story we had last year. God I hope not though......a team like Denver would be dangerous if they can mimic anything like we did last year with the Pagano support. Then again we had so much youth and it seemed to be a way to join them together as well, not to mention our schedule was easier.

Brady is 8-0 against Del Rio's defense, and I hope they give them an old fashion blow out.

Yes, it bodes well that Del Rio is there whether the HC or DC. Brady has owned his defenses.

I like this game for a couple of reasons. First, it is at the razor at the end of Nov. It is getting chilly here in NE so it is possible to have cold temps or maybe even snow. This will help the Pats as they have the better run game. I also like that the fact that the Pats offense has gotten healthy and more in groove. They will need a lot of points to win even though I think they can keep it reasonable if Talib plays. He should take away either Thomas or Decker.

I think the wild card is Manning's health. He has two tough games vs the Chargers and Chiefs before coming to NE. That is a brutal stretch. If he comes into NE huring then I think the game may get away from the Broncs early.

The Patriots have been almost Jets like average this season so far, the Broncos a juggernaut. I would not be surprised if the Patriots won, but being confident based on their relative showings and health so far, mmm, not so sure.

But many more twists I'm sure, before they face off. As it stands, my pick is with the Broncs. Ultimately, I'll be rooting for the team who will give the Colts a better seeding opportunity.

The Patriots have been almost Jets like average this season so far, the Broncos a juggernaut. I would not be surprised if the Patriots won, but being confident based on their relative showings and health so far, mmm, not so sure.

But many more twists I'm sure, before they face off. As it stands, my pick is with the Broncs. Ultimately, I'll be rooting for the team who will give the Colts a better seeding opportunity.

What on earth? The Jets are ranked 27 in points scored and 21 in points allowed. The Pats are 9 and 8 respectively. They are not even on the same planet ....

Love your passion Gramz!

Thanks.  And yours as well.

Let me just say..... The average career of an NFL player is said to be 6 years, and these two guys are anything BUT average.   Of course, it's different for QB's,  especially the elite QB's.

To have had the successful careers these two have had, and to Still be doing it, and winning games, and keeping the friendly rivalry alive for another year or three... (who knows)  

I will continue to embrace and enjoy it as long as it lasts.

This game is 3 weeks away, lots of football to be played before that.

Heck, Pats may lose to Panthers on the road after their bye, anything can happen.

I don't think they lose even though that defense is stout with Belicheck at the helm but Peyton may be even more banged up by then...he may be lucky to play. 

If Denver plays clean...and doesn't muff kicks to give Pats easy early points...I think they can win. I'm not sure this Pats team can keep up if they have to come back....Denver needs to get that running game going. Should be a great game and decide homefield (if kc loses) in playoffs.

After Carolina won yesterday on the road in San Fran, I'm kind of thinking that a week from tonight is going to be a tough one. 

I wonder, with the bye week, if the Pats did any advanced scouting on Denver though, since they have a short turn-around before that game.  

There's an outside chance this game decides home-field and the #1 seed. Far from a given, so don't get me wrong, but the winner will have a decided advantage when it comes to seeding time.

After Carolina won yesterday on the road in San Fran, I'm kind of thinking that a week from tonight is going to be a tough one. 

I wonder, with the bye week, if the Pats did any advanced scouting on Denver though, since they have a short turn-around before that game.  

There's an outside chance this game decides home-field and the #1 seed. Far from a given, so don't get me wrong, but the winner will have a decided advantage when it comes to seeding time.

As I mentioned earlier that D is legit. I'll be generous and call them mediocre on offense. Despite their O it's foolish to overlook them by virtue of their D alone.

It's entirely possible the Pats light them up 50-6, but it won't be a walk in the park like PIT. The Pats could just as easily only put up 13 - and it wouldn't surprise me if that were enough points to outscore Cam and co.

I was thinking the same thing. I expect Denver to beat KC on Sunday which would set up the game in Foxbourough for the #1 seed. Assuming the Pats beat Carolina.

Shouldn't you be worried about handling the Panthers first? Unlike Pittsburgh they actually have a defense. (And to some extent an offense)

Now that it's time for this thread to be relevant - Toot. Toot.

Having said that, you do have a good shot against Denver. Their D is not what Carolina's is.

Welker will likely be out and Peyton isn't up to snuff. Despite those injuries and Clady being on IR, NE's defense is missing some key guys as well and Denver will still score 30+ points. On the other side NE's run game looks damn good and should be a good test to see just how real Denver's supposed #1 run D is.

Crucial game for the Patriots..not must-win but close

#2 seed for NE isn't a pipe dream. Indy's gotta win out because outside DEN I don't see anyone stepping up and beating tNE from here on out.

The rest of the AFC Least will roll over and die like they always do so worst case scenario they're in by default. 8-8 will win that division.

Interesting turn of events......

Heck I don't know, I can see this thing going either way in the end. It's Brady vs. Manning....too hard for me to really call. And if Welker does not play it will really be a bummer and take away from a big story line for the game.

But, in a way it's funny it is like NE has the same circumstances we did before we played Denver. Like the Colts, NE had MNF on the road and lost. Then are hosting Denver on SNF at home when everyone is down on them again.

Either way I am gonna stay up for this one!

Heck I don't know, I can see this thing going either way in the end. It's Brady vs. Manning....too hard for me to really call. And if Welker does not play it will really be a bummer and take away from a big story line for the game.

But, in a way it's funny it is like NE has the same circumstances we did before we played Denver. Like the Colts, NE had MNF on the road and lost. Then are hosting Denver on SNF at home when everyone is down on them again.

Yeah, I thought the same thing too!!!

It's like you can see the future. :eek:

Check out the thread I started about teams coming off their bye week this year. :)

I had a hunch that coming off the bye week would be a loss (the other thing is, I am into patterns and trends, can you tell?) for the Pats and it ended up being that way.

Yup. That GoPats... he's right sometimes.  ;)

I like that Jules, thank you for pointing it out!  :thmup: 

It would be just like the Patriots to drop that heart-breaker the way they did last night, then go LIGHTS OUT on Denver. I think it'll be a good, close game, but I like the Pats' chances better since they lost to Carolina and rarely drop two straight. 

It would be just like the Patriots to drop that heart-breaker the way they did last night, then go LIGHTS OUT on Denver. I think it'll be a good, close game, but I like the Pats' chances better since they lost to Carolina and rarely drop two straight. 

I'm expecting a Shoot-out   (of the legal kind)  ;)

Should be a good game.

I'm expecting a Shoot-out   (of the legal kind)   ;)

Should be a good game.

I think you're right Gramz. Manning will definitely be able to move the ball pretty easily on the Pats' D, and playing against Carolina probably helped the Patriots going into next week. No disrespect for the Broncos' defense, but it's going to be easier sledding than it was last night.

The x-factor is Peyton's health, of course, and any evil plots by Belichick to capitalize on that.   ;)   (Disrupt timing, make him hold the ball, and get after him.) 

I think you're right Gramz. Manning will definitely be able to move the ball pretty easily on the Pats' D, and playing against Carolina probably helped the Patriots going into next week. No disrespect for the Broncos' defense, but it's going to be easier sledding than it was last night.

The x-factor is Peyton's health, of course, and any evil plots by Belichick to capitalize on that.   ;)   (Disrupt timing, make him hold the ball, and get after him.) 

I guess we'll see.    Pretty amazing that the #1 Defense never got to him at all.   That was good for him to not suffer any additional damage, and pretty impressive of his O-Line's protection  and also his ability to release the ball quickly.      

I guess we'll see.    Pretty amazing that the #1 Defense never got to him at all.   That was good for him to not suffer any additional damage, and pretty impressive of his O-Line's protection  and also his ability to release the ball quickly.      

Maybe the Patriots will learn from last night's loss and just mug Denver's receivers all night, lol! 

They've done that before I think.  ;)

If I was coaching against Denver, I'd play very tight press coverage and jam guys hard on the line. Denver's offense, like a lot of high-powered passing attacks, is based on timing. Manning is usually throwing the ball before guys even come out of cuts, especially these days since he's lost just a little zip on some of his throws. He compensates with his smarts... he knows when guys will break off routes and come open. So if you can slow Thomas and those guys down a little bit, throw off their timing, and then try to use the extra time you buy yourself to get to Manning or at least make him hurry... that's the way to beat Denver. (And I've seen the high-powered Patriots' offenses over the past few years lose games the same way.) 

It will help the Patriots' cause if Welker can't go next week. They tend to match up better against bigger guys like Thomas and Decker. Welker could give them fits. He'll burn Kyle Arrington all night long if he plays.