Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So is Gary Kubiak no longer on the hot seat?

ReMeDy

I wanted to post this earlier, but thought it was too soon. Now that Kubiak is out of the hospital with a clear diagnosis, I think it's time we discuss this.

Here is an NFL.com article of coaches on the hot seat after the Indy-Houston game. Kubiak is missing.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000277151/article/greg-schiano-leads-list-of-nfl-coaches-on-the-hot-seat

Here are articles of Kubiak on the hot seat before the game... Actually, there's too many to link, so take your pick:

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Agb7UKjCSFrIqjgDvDZzc8KbvZx4?p=gary+kubiak+hotseat&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-900

Did Kubiak just buy himself another season? It could be a bad PR move to let him go after this season, just like it could have been a bad PR move for the Colts to have hired Arians over Pagano after Pagano's bout with cancer. Houston has lost their last six games after their 2-0 start, are having a QB controversy/transition, have plenty of pro-bowl players, yet they're 2-6. I think the issue is the culture, and it starts with Kubiak. He clearly has issues preaching 60-minute football, and anyone who watches Colts-Houston match-ups knows what I'm talking about. He needs to be shown the door. My sympathies to him, but Houston needs to stop embarrassing themselves. It's time for a change, and what better time than with a new QB.

I think it falls more on inept QB play.  Sure, you could say that it's the coach's job (and an offensive minded coach at that) to make it easy on his QB/make his system fit his QB.  But Keenum came in and was able to play well (albeit the sample size is really small).  Schaub has just been regressing for several years now.  Kubiak has been there for several years and he has helped that team build up to a strong unit.  I think the pressure falls on their GM to acquire a good QB. 

I have trouble with the premise that a medical complication, even inferred or not, somehow saves an NFL HC their job. Primarily because the person who suffered the medical complication has no control over the disease or issue & therefore there is no way an individual could use it to their advantage. Also, Gary Kubiak has won consecutive AFC South Division titles.

You never cut bait with an HC that wins their division crown in back to back years. Plus, you have to remember how dismal the Texans franchise was before Kubiak got there & DC Wade Philips is a top notch coordinator whose players love him. Gary isn't going anywhere. 

In addition, Tom Coughlin is an elite HC who won 2 SB rings. The Mara Owners are not foolish. Tom knows what it takes to win. 

"Tom Coughlin, New York Giants: Coughlin's two Lombardi Trophies have afforded him the opportunity to decide his own fate -- even after an 0-6 start to the season. NFL Media's Ian Rapoport has reported that Coughlin plans to return for 2014. Much can change between now and the end of December, but the odds favor Coughlin roaming the sideline again at age 68 next year."

Whoever thinks Tom is gone is a complete bafoon IMHO...2 recent SBs buys Mr. Coughlin a long leash of freedom that doesn't get you fired after 1 bad season & Jerry Reese is still a fantastic GM too. He also stays put.

I have trouble with the premise that a medical complication, even inferred or not, somehow saves an NFL HC their job. Primarily because the person who suffered the medical complication has no control over the disease or issue & therefore there is no way an individual could use it to their advantage. Also, Gary Kubiak has won consecutive AFC South Division titles.

You never cut bait with an HC that wins their division crown in back to back years. Plus, you have to remember how dismal the Texans franchise was before Kubiak got there & DC Wade Philips is a top notch coordinator whose players love him. Gary isn't going anywhere.

In addition, Tom Coughlin is an elite HC who won 2 SB rings. The Mara Owners are not foolish. Tom knows what it takes to win.

"Tom Coughlin, New York Giants: Coughlin's two Lombardi Trophies have afforded him the opportunity to decide his own fate -- even after an 0-6 start to the season. NFL Media's Ian Rapoport has reported that Coughlin plans to return for 2014. Much can change between now and the end of December, but the odds favor Coughlin roaming the sideline again at age 68 next year."

Whoever thinks Tom is gone is a complete bafoon IMHO...2 recent SBs buys Mr. Coughlin a long leash of freedom that doesn't get you fired after 1 bad season & Jerry Reese is still a fantastic GM too. He also stays put.

Different situations. Texans fans have been calling for Kubiak's head for years. He is unpopular with the fanbase, and the team is on the skids. The only thing that probably is saving his job right now is the potential of a midseason turnaround with Keenum at the helm. If not for that, Kubiak would already be buried.

Guest TeamLoloJones

His stroke plus the play of Case Keenum could buy him another year.  

If the Texans come storming back and make it to 500 or something like that, his job is secure.  They will just say Schaub was the culprit, toss him to the curb and run with Keenum.

What if Kubiak just gave up his play calling duties? Ala Jason Garrett?  I think Kubiak is a good head coach, but a terrible play caller.

What if Kubiak just gave up his play calling duties? Ala Jason Garrett?  I think Kubiak is a good head coach, but a terrible play caller.

He could also do something like that.  

My understanding though is that within the NFL he's considered a good play caller.  And to be fair they dialed up some pretty good plays to beat us when he was calling the plays.  

I didn't see the 2nd half because I had to go to bed, but I heard that the Texans got extremely conservative and it hurt them.

Ultimately he just needs to show that this team is headed in the right direction and should be able to at least compete for the AFC South Crown next year.  If Keenum is even just an average NFL QB they should be able to do that.  

I think he is on the way out at the end of the year. You can have that much talent on a team (not named the Cowboys) and keep your job after a season like this one. He has been there a long time...and they were expected to get over the hump and contend for a SB this year....and now they will clearly be looking for a new qb and some of their key players are getting older....like Johnson, Reed, and Foster is quickly approaching that rb age too. They have awesome pieces but they just aren't a team that is greater than the sum of their parts....idk what they are lacking (outside qb play this year). I think a fresh influence would do them well. Kubiak will bounce back and maybe for him that is good too.

I think if the season ended before Sunday's game, Kubiak would have been fired. Unless they finish the year strong, I expect him to be fired still.

This is true, but the more open downfield passing game with Keenum makes you wonder, was Schaub Kubiak's guy, or did the contract GM Rick Smith signed him to force Kubiak to play him? Either way, I think more of the Texans collapse may be on the GM than he wants to let on, and the rabid hatred of Kubiak in the fanbase makes him an easy scapegoat.

I can't remember the exact record, or how many in a row he won, but it happened in SD with Marty Schottenheimer. He was perennially getting his team to the playoffs, yet, because his teams couldn't win in the playoffs, he was fired after going 14-2 I believe..It shouldn't happen, but it does,and its not right. The owners are going to do what they think is best for their team, and more often or not,, they should have left things well alone.IE AL Davis, Daniel Snyder, Donald Sterling (in B-Ball) Its all in " What have you done for me lately" that is the norm nowadays..

I'm not saying Kubiak is a great coach. He did help his team to 2 straight Division titles. Injuries and bad QB play are more to blame for Houston's demise this year, than anything else.

This is true, but the more open downfield passing game with Keenum makes you wonder, was Schaub Kubiak's guy, or did the contract GM Rick Smith signed him to force Kubiak to play him? Either way, I think more of the Texans collapse may be on the GM than he wants to let on, and the rabid hatred of Kubiak in the fanbase makes him an easy scapegoat.

That would suggest that Kubiak had no say in whether Schaub was the guy. I don't buy that.

I can't remember the exact record, or how many in a row he won, but it happened in SD with Marty Schottenheimer. He was perennially getting his team to the playoffs, yet, because his teams couldn't win in the playoffs, he was fired after going 14-2 I believe..It shouldn't happen, but it does,and its not right. The owners are going to do what they think is best for their team, and more often or not,, they should have left things well alone.IE AL Davis, Daniel Snyder, Donald Sterling (in B-Ball) Its all in " What have you done for me lately" that is the norm nowadays..

I'm not saying Kubiak is a great coach. He did help his team to 2 straight Division titles. Injuries and bad QB play are more to blame for Houston's demise this year, than anything else.

Lovie Smith is another example of a head coach with a winning record getting the axe. Regular season wins and division titles mean nothing to owners anymore. If cant bring home the bling, they dont want a thing.

That would suggest that Kubiak had no say in whether Schaub was the guy. I don't buy that.

There are a lot of things about the Schaub situation that are strange. During the game Sunday, he had his helmet on the whole time keeping his arm loose with reps, and rarely approacged Keenum at all. There is a bitterness there, and he seemed like he was just waiting for the kid to fail.

Lovie Smith is another example of a head coach with a winning record getting the axe. Regular season wins and division titles mean nothing to owners anymore. If cant bring home the bling, they dont want a thing.

Lovie wasn't making the playoffs on a consistent basis nor winning division titles.

Valpo is right..

I think Case Keenum is a major find and Houston will rally in the playoff race

They might make a push, but the math isnt there. They still have to play some really tough games, and would have to win out to even have a shot at the wildcard. Texans are done this season.

A medical problem shouldn't save a coach just like an injury shouldn't cause a player to lose his job.......