Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent's Breakout?

Bluefire4

Eh. I wouldn't worry. If he starts playing really well, and taking away too many snaps from Andrew, people will complain we are running the ball too much.

No one on here is ever fully content. Too many players on the active roster for someone not to find a problem with something.

2 things......1. If fans on here were ever fully content, this message board would not be nearly as busy as it is every day....2.If coaches took that Fully Content approach that would be a cause for concern...Nothing wrong with having concerns and voicing them even if they dont make alot of sense, then those posters that see that said post dont make alot of sense then ONE of those posters should KINDLY state what it is that that person is missing

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't see how my post is an excuse. Just ask Andrew Luck how terrible our offensive line is

Its not all on the O Line, Luck will hang onto the ball to long at times, we dont have wr's that can get open on a consistent basis either, at least in press coverage

I see a lot of this "I'll give him next season" or "He will break out next season" and things along those lines .... If it takes him until next season to "break out" than he will truly have to be one of the 4-5 best RBs in the league to justify the trade.

Because:

1) Part of the value of the trade and the justification for paying a 1st round draft pick was we needed someone this year.  So if he isn't going be produce at a level higher than what a FA back could have given us then part of his value has been negated.

2) Yes, the browns did pay his signing bonus, but we are still on the hook for the biggest part of his salary $6.6 million and if we take the 5th year option that's about another $7 million ... so we get him 4 years for between $14-$15 million before we have to give him that second contract (or release him).

Now let's look at an example of not making the trade .... We still have our 1st round pick .... so lets say we use our 2nd round pick to get our RB if we look at last years draft we are looking at someone like Eddie Lacy at the end of the 2nd round.  Eddie Lacy's contract is 4 yrs $3.4 million with $1 million guaranteed.

So on one hand we have TRich for 4 yrs $14-15 million ---or--- On the other we have a 2nd round RB in 2014 draft for 4 yrs $3-4 million  +  our 1st round draft pick. 

Do we really think that TRich is going to be better than - 2nd RB "X" + 1st rnd draft pick + ~$11 million.  This is what I mean when I say if he we have to wait until next year it will be very hard for him to play well enough (even if he improves significantly) to justify this trade.

Even if we hedge our bet on the 2nd rnd RB next year and say we resign Bradshaw(or another FA) as an insurance policy for another $2 million (AB's current salary) we still come out ahead a 1st round draft pick & ~$9 million.

I just don't understand how people can not see how costly this trade is if TRich does not become a perennial top 5 back.

I don't see how you can call this a costly trade without knowing who our first round pick next year would have been.  If he was a bust, then everything you just said goes out the window.

2 things......1. If fans on here were ever fully content, this message board would not be nearly as busy as it is every day....2.If coaches took that Fully Content approach that would be a cause for concern...Nothing wrong with having concerns and voicing them even if they dont make alot of sense, then those posters that see that said post dont make alot of sense then ONE of those posters should KINDLY state what it is that that person is missing

Two things.

1) I would be okay with less site traffic if it meant less complaining, and less egos to deal with.

2) Do you really think fans and coaches are held to the same standard lol? If fans got content it would literally have nothing to do with the coaching staff. I have no clue how you even put those two points together based on what you quoted from me.

The power run game just isn't working and we don't have a good interior line for it. When Pep starts calling more 3 WR sets and ditch the 1 WR sets, will be a better running team. The reason Fleener was so open when we passed out of 1 WR set was because they stack the box, teams won't do that if we go 3 wide.

let them stack the box, just pass more from the power run formation, as you said fleener was wide open from this formation

Two things.

1) I would be okay with less site traffic if it meant less complaining, and less egos to deal with.

2) Do you really think fans and coaches are held to the same standard lol? If fans got content it would literally have nothing to do with the coaching staff. I have no clue how you even put those two points together based on what you quoted from me.

I like alot of traffic on the board, love listening to peopels opinions even if some dont make alot of sense.

Of course fans and coaches are not held to the same standard, But why do fans have to be content with everything the staff does or every player Grigson brings in....Example: we traded for Bey...well his drop history is well documented as well as not making plays on the ball that he should catch given his overall athleticism and size...yet just like Oakland he has been for the most part a disappointment...Many fans voiced there displeasure about the trade prior to him suiting up based on his previous performances because thats all they had to go on (and at the end of the day the most important thing is on field play...yes off field performance is important to)....My point in all this is fans have opinions, why should they not be allowed to voice there opinions based on what we know about a players past performances?

I like alot of traffic on the board, love listening to peopels opinions even if some dont make alot of sense.

Of course fans and coaches are not held to the same standard, But why do fans have to be content with everything the staff does or every player Grigson brings in....Example: we traded for Bey...well his drop history is well documented as well as not making plays on the ball that he should catch given his overall athleticism and size...yet just like Oakland he has been for the most part a disappointment...Many fans voiced there displeasure about the trade prior to him suiting up based on his previous performances because thats all they had to go on (and at the end of the day the most important thing is on field play...yes off field performance is important to)....My point in all this is fans have opinions, why should they not be allowed to voice there opinions based on what we know about a players past performances?

I for one truly enjoy the less than insightful posts. They make my visits here all the more enjoyable. Maybe this is wrong, but I probably take too much pleasure in pointing the factual inaccuracies of posters or those who think they know better than the coaches. Those are priceless to me.

I don't see how you can call this a costly trade without knowing who our first round pick next year would have been.  If he was a bust, then everything you just said goes out the window.

You are right, if we assume the 1st rnd pick would have been a complete bust, and we also assume that we did not trade down and acquire more picks(or future picks); and that if we did those players were also all busts ... than under those circumstances the trade is not costly.

I find it far more plausible that TRich does not outperform a RB that would be available to us in the 2nd round or later, than our 1st round pick would be a complete waste (whether it was used or traded).  Although I am sure plenty will argue otherwise.

I for one truly enjoy the less than insightful posts. They make my visits here all the more enjoyable. Maybe this is wrong, but I probably take too much pleasure in pointing the factual inaccuracies of posters or those who think they know better than the coaches. Those are priceless to me.

so you openly admit you come here to antagonize?

You guys made a bad choice going for him. Saw it, called it, not surprised. He was a disappointment in Cleveland no matter what ESPN told you about how dumb they were to get rid of him. If he would have been good, they would not have wanted to let him go.

Alabama is not known for making NFL caliber running backs, with Lacy being the only exception.

You know this because Lacy has had 2-3 good games....

Richardson has plenty of talent, probably more than Lacy, he just does not get the touches, and yes in IMHO he is not being utilized correctly. However, we are winning - and that is all that matters. The rest will fall in place.

Pretty sure the Colts never traded for DHB.  My recollection is that they signed him as a free agent, so I am curious as to what fans were complaining about this so called trade and how they could complain about the so called trade, when in fact no trade for DHB took place.

Excuse # 151

Excuse # 211

Excuse # 137

I could compile a whole book with all the different excuses floating around to explain why TRICH is not doing well. Could be he is just not anything special. 

If he was as good as advertised we would not need to make special accommodations (or endless excuses) for him.  A number 3 overall draft pick (or any RB from the 1st round) should not need special plays to get him out in space, or have trouble running behind a full back, or have this much trouble improvising when the hole the play was designed to go through isn't there.

I think it is hard to put everything on Trent when there is plenty of blame to go around. Is it possible that Trent isn't special? Absolutely, because I have seen plenty of runs where he waits for a hole that isn't there.

But Grigson, Pagano, and Pep made an effort to go and trade a 1st rounder for him, so you have to make it work. And yet I have seen plays where Trent has explosion and has speed and it is usually outside runs, runs where he has space.

Why try to fit a square peg in a round hole where we just go ahead and say," we brought you in to run the ball straight up the middle 100% of the time behind a interior line that one of the worst in the NFL and expect you to power through 300 lbs lineman and 250 lbs linebackers running mach 5 into a hole, and we expect at least 5 yards a carry while carrying those guys on your back." Because that logic makes total sense to me...

let them stack the box, just pass more from the power run formation, as you said fleener was wide open from this formation

This.

We seem to run TRich out of 2 TE's and a fullback set which means 10 offensive players are essentially in the box and it’s no big surprise when defenses bring 9-10 defenders to the line when they see this formation.

The reason Fleener was wide open for 50 yards is because we only ever do one thing from this formation - run TRich against 9-10 defenders. Keep the power formation but utilize more playaction pass from it.

You are right, if we assume the 1st rnd pick would have been a complete bust, and we also assume that we did not trade down and acquire more picks(or future picks); and that if we did those players were also all busts ... than under those circumstances the trade is not costly.

I find it far more plausible that TRich does not outperform a RB that would be available to us in the 2nd round or later, than our 1st round pick would be a complete waste (whether it was used or traded).  Although I am sure plenty will argue otherwise.

And that's really teh crux of this whole thing.  I'm not going to pretend to know one way or the other, but it's a gamble for sure.  Sometiems you win, sometimes you lose.

I too like to hear opinions and have spirited debates. But the incessant complaining I can do without. And the debates when someone has just engrained themselves in one position, and have no real intention of changing their mind, becomes a little tiresome at times. You don't have to like my occasional view of the board, but that's what it is none the less.

You're also taking what I said literally, when I was speaking figuratively. I was saying exactly what you are saying. There's just too many players. There will always be a problem, real or otherwise, that someone has. So there will always be someone discontent with some aspect of the team or players. There will never be an instance where everyone is happy with every single aspect of out team. Never. Even if we went undefeated. Something would be wrong in the mind of someone.

We also didn't trade for DHB.

I think it is hard to put everything on Trent when there is plenty of blame to go around. Is it possible that Trent isn't special? Absolutely, because I have seen plenty of runs where he waits for a hole that isn't there.

But Grigson, Pagano, and Pep made an effort to go and trade a 1st rounder for him, so you have to make it work. And yet I have seen plays where Trent has explosion and has speed and it is usually outside runs, runs where he has space.

Why try to fit a square peg in a round hole where we just go ahead and say," we brought you in to run the ball straight up the middle 100% of the time behind a interior line that one of the worst in the NFL and expect you to power through 300 lbs lineman and 250 lbs linebackers running mach 5 into a hole, and we expect at least 5 yards a carry while carrying those guys on your back." Because that logic makes total sense to me...

I see what you're saying, but he was brought in to be that back who could run up the middle. We don't need two Donald Browns-- guys that can run in space. We need the Power back (supposed to be Richardson, was Ballard and Bradshaw) and off set that with Brown, the change of pace back. People want is to use Richardson as the outside, open space runner. That's fine, but then we would have to admit that Grigson missed on his evaluation of him and gave up far too much for his services. Again, just my opinion.

I see what you're saying, but he was brought in to be that back who could run up the middle. We don't need two Donald Browns-- guys that can run in space. We need the Power back (supposed to be Richardson, was Ballard and Bradshaw) and off set that with Brown, the change of pace back. People want is to use Richardson as the outside, open space runner. That's fine, but then we would have to admit that Grigson missed on his evaluation of him and gave up far too much for his services. Again, just my opinion.

I agree, he was brought in to be the power back. But look at the offensive line for us when we run straight up the middle? McGlynn and Satele almost get pushed back into the line every play and there is little to no hole at all. I just want to know why you think we can't have 2 open space runners? Do you think we should still run it straight up the middle even though Trent will get little to no yards at all? I just don't think it is smart to bring a guy in and pigeon-hole him as a power back and have him run into a wall of defenders and expect him to make plays out of nothing.

Excuse # 151

Excuse # 211

Excuse # 137

I could compile a whole book with all the different excuses floating around to explain why TRICH is not doing well. Could be he is just not anything special. 

If he was as good as advertised we would not need to make special accommodations (or endless excuses) for him.  A number 3 overall draft pick (or any RB from the 1st round) should not need special plays to get him out in space, or have trouble running behind a full back, or have this much trouble improvising when the hole the play was designed to go through isn't there.

like this

Of course blocking, scheme, and game planning play a role .... But, the truly talented running backs (which is what TRich was advertised as) should still be able to be good even if every aspect of the game isn't optimal.  Two other running backs (Ballard & Bradshaw) who were not supposed to be of TRich's caliber have turned in better performances in similar or worse situations.

Creating the perfect situation (blocking, scheme, planning, etc....) should serve to make a "good" player "great".  In TRichs situation it appears as it will only serve to make a "below average/average" player into and "average/above average" player.  That's not  the kind of player I want to be using 1st round draft picks on. 

I see a lot of this "I'll give him next season" or "He will break out next season" and things along those lines .... If it takes him until next season to "break out" than he will truly have to be one of the 4-5 best RBs in the league to justify the trade.

Because:

1) Part of the value of the trade and the justification for paying a 1st round draft pick was we needed someone this year.  So if he isn't going be produce at a level higher than what a FA back could have given us then part of his value has been negated.

2) Yes, the browns did pay his signing bonus, but we are still on the hook for the biggest part of his salary $6.6 million and if we take the 5th year option that's about another $7 million ... so we get him 4 years for between $14-$15 million before we have to give him that second contract (or release him).

Now let's look at an example of not making the trade .... We still have our 1st round pick .... so lets say we use our 2nd round pick to get our RB if we look at last years draft we are looking at someone like Eddie Lacy at the end of the 2nd round.  Eddie Lacy's contract is 4 yrs $3.4 million with $1 million guaranteed.

So on one hand we have TRich for 4 yrs $14-15 million ---or--- On the other we have a 2nd round RB in 2014 draft for 4 yrs $3-4 million  +  our 1st round draft pick. 

Do we really think that TRich is going to be better than - 2nd RB "X" + 1st rnd draft pick + ~$11 million.  This is what I mean when I say if he we have to wait until next year it will be very hard for him to play well enough (even if he improves significantly) to justify this trade.

Even if we hedge our bet on the 2nd rnd RB next year and say we resign Bradshaw(or another FA) as an insurance policy for another $2 million (AB's current salary) we still come out ahead a 1st round draft pick & ~$9 million.

I just don't understand how people can not see how costly this trade is if TRich does not become a perennial top 5 back.

this is exactly how i felt from when the trade was made. very well said!

Because if they see it, it means they're a bad fan

Its not all on the O Line, Luck will hang onto the ball to long at times, we dont have wr's that can get open on a consistent basis either, at least in press coverage

i like all these posts. i just don't understand why likes are limited!!! if you don't want people to use this function take it away completely.

I too like to hear opinions and have spirited debates. But the incessant complaining I can do without. And the debates when someone has just engrained themselves in one position, and have no real intention of changing their mind, becomes a little tiresome at times. You don't have to like my occasional view of the board, but that's what it is none the less.

You're also taking what I said literally, when I was speaking figuratively. I was saying exactly what you are saying. There's just too many players. There will always be a problem, real or otherwise, that someone has. So there will always be someone discontent with some aspect of the team or players. There will never be an instance where everyone is happy with every single aspect of out team. Never. Even if we went undefeated. Something would be wrong in the mind of someone.

We also didn't trade for DHB.

Thats right, I forgot how we acquired DHB

Pretty sure the Colts never traded for DHB.  My recollection is that they signed him as a free agent, so I am curious as to what fans were complaining about this so called trade and how they could complain about the so called trade, when in fact no trade for DHB took place.

I recollected wrong about the trade, But still some fans were complaining about his lack of consistent hands and unrealized potential because of those hands

TRich had à good game in houston

He ran the ball 8 times only for 20yards .. Avg. of 2.5y

But 2 of those was in the last possession and those two where both -1y ( ran the clock out )

So if we take away those 2 runs he had an avg of 3.5y per carry

And i Love his Run after the catch ability just watch his first catch. He is special

He. Is. Special. 

haha, no. 

Because:

Excellent breakdown of the trade. Probably the most in depth analysis I've seen to date. Not sure if he needs to be a perennial top 5 back, he just needs to not be one of the worst in the league, which is where he is now. 

You know this because Lacy has had 2-3 good games....

Richardson has plenty of talent, probably more than Lacy, he just does not get the touches, and yes in IMHO he is not being utilized correctly. However, we are winning - and that is all that matters. The rest will fall in place.

More talent than Lacy, not sure what you've seen that would bring you to that conclusion. This isn't the combine and this isn't the NCAA. 

He. Is. Special. 

haha, no. 

Excellent breakdown of the trade. Probably the most in depth analysis I've seen to date. Not sure if he needs to be a perennial top 5 back, he just needs to not be one of the worst in the league, which is where he is now. 

More talent than Lacy, not sure what you've seen that would bring you to that conclusion. This isn't the combine and this isn't the NCAA. 

Okay, what have you seen from Lacy? A couple good games? Richardson had more than a couple good games last year as a rookie as well....

I think the one who will "break out" will be donald brown. I predict a 100 yard game from brown. T rich will have 10 carries for 32 yards.

Aren't the Cowboys and Jags pretty bad O-lines this year? Could be wrong.

I am in the minority in that I still like the trade for Richardson. That's not to say he hasn't been underwhelming in his six games, but I liked what I saw from him against the Texans in the second half. I think it may not be his rushing yards that defines his breakout game but a combination of rushing and receiving. Luck should get him the ball in open space more and let the man work!

power backs are useless when there is no blocking

Now, don't hate on me too much because I'm a Browns fan for life, but a lot of what everyone is saying about Trent not having a good offensive line is what we did here, made excuses for Trent.  Bottom line is, he's just not that good, period.  He can do some damage out in space, but he's too slow to get there.  And he's too slow to get through the holes, so it makes the offensive line look bad.  I've seen how much better D. Brown looks carrying the ball, he flies through the hole.  If you saw the two backs, you'd think Trent was the backup.  

I have no issues with the Colts, I really like Andrew Luck A LOT.  I did just join today, because I'm interested in Trent's future, and how this trade between the two teams will end up.  

Okay, what have you seen from Lacy? A couple good games? Richardson had more than a couple good games last year as a rookie as well....

notice he is not getting hit in the backfield on those highlights.  as bad as we know our o-line is, they are overrated.

after the game against the Texans I was thinking... forget Watt, Foster, and AJ.  If we could have 1 player from the Texans team, I would pick their LT Brown.  we have never been the same since Tarrik Glenn retired.

Now, don't hate on me too much because I'm a Browns fan for life, but a lot of what everyone is saying about Trent not having a good offensive line is what we did here, made excuses for Trent.  Bottom line is, he's just not that good, period.  He can do some damage out in space, but he's too slow to get there.  And he's too slow to get through the holes, so it makes the offensive line look bad.  I've seen how much better D. Brown looks carrying the ball, he flies through the hole.  If you saw the two backs, you'd think Trent was the backup.  

I have no issues with the Colts, I really like Andrew Luck A LOT.  I did just join today, because I'm interested in Trent's future, and how this trade between the two teams will end up.  

Welcome to the Colts Forum, glad to have you here. You've said what I've suspected. Throughout the first three games, our O-line appeared to be good. Actually, we were amongst the best run blocking teams in the league for that short span while Ballard, Brown, and Bradshaw were in the backfield. Then we start Trent at RB, and it appears that our O-line can't block.

I understand the relationship between a running back and the O-line. They feed off of one another's success. There should be a hole for the back to run through. The RB should not have to fend for his life in the backfield. I get all of that. But if a RB can't hit the holes in time, or identify an opening in the line elsewhere, it makes the O-line look bad too. All of a sudden, with Trent, we can't run block. yet, for Brown (draws and different formations) the O-line can somehow block.

Excellent points but I'd say the 5th year option shouldn't be factored into this analysis.  If the production doesn't pick up then there is no chance that they pick up the 5th year option --  he walks after the 4th year (at a cost of about $2.2M/year).   If his production is good enough to pick up the 5th year option then he will have improved significantly and may have been worth the trade.

If we build a monster offensive line our running game will shine in years to come. It's just not there at this time. Put Trent behind a good run blocking line and I bet he would be hitting 100 yard rushing games. I personally feel we are trying to force our run game to much. I would prefer to use our strong suit in the passing game to open up the run game. We can be better balanced in the future when we build the line and can create the holes necessary. Until then get them defenses back on there heels and then hit them with Trent and DB.

Speaking of DB, he's been playing pretty well this season. Hope he continues to make the most of his time on the field.

If we build a monster offensive line our running game will shine in years to come. It's just not there at this time. Put Trent behind a good run blocking line and I bet he would be hitting 100 yard rushing games. I personally feel we are trying to force our run game to much. I would prefer to use our strong suit in the passing game to open up the run game. We can be better balanced in the future when we build the line and can create the holes necessary. Until then get them defenses back on there heels and then hit them with Trent and DB.

Speaking of DB, he's been playing pretty well this season. Hope he continues to make the most of his time on the field.

Donald Brown is averaging 6 yards a carry behind that same offensive line. 

notice he is not getting hit in the backfield on those highlights.  as bad as we know our o-line is, they are overrated.

after the game against the Texans I was thinking... forget Watt, Foster, and AJ.  If we could have 1 player from the Texans team, I would pick their LT Brown.  we have never been the same since Tarrik Glenn retired.

Oh man...i would take Watt.....