Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we please get a capable WR1?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

They're winning games because of their defense and extremely easy schedule. The only team of value they beat was NO and that was beause of terrible time management on the part of Sean Payton.

The only legitimate team having succes with subpar receivers is Seattle and they're getting Percy Harvin back soon.

Okay then we're more like Seattle. Either way, my point stands. Don't need big name receivers to win games. Yes it helps, but it's not needed if you know what you're doing

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're winning games because of their defense and extremely easy schedule. The only team of value they beat was NO and that was beause of terrible time management on the part of Sean Payton.

The only legitimate team having succes with subpar receivers is Seattle and they're getting Percy Harvin back soon.

This. Anybody who says having a #1 reciever is over rated is kidding themselves. Its integral to the passing game because of the defensive coverages a really good wr forces. Indy doesnt have that on the roster without Reggie, and Luck's numbers will suffer for it.

You might get your wish. Here's a few tweets from a indy star columnist

@bkravitz: Don't know if Grigson's gonna pull the trigger on a deal, but it's interesting he hasn't filled the roster spot just yet. Hmmm.

@bkravitz: As @HolderStephen points out, the Colts have neither the cap space nor the draft picks to do anything dramatic in replacing Reggie.

@bkravitz: So the point is, I truly doubt the Colts are going to do anything epic in their attempts to replace Reggie. Gonna be tough, anyway.

well why won't they release some useless people from the roster to make cap space? or ????

Guest TeamLoloJones

well why won't they release some useless people from the roster to make cap space? or ????

The cap space argument makes little sense to me.  Josh Gordon seems to be the favorite target of most people here, and his cap hit would be under 400k, which is barely more than the cost of singing someone off the street at the minimum.

Call me crazy, but with the experience that Griff has already had with Andrew, and the fact that they were not only teammates but roommates at Stanford - I hold out very high hopes for him. Griff in the slot to me - given a proper chance to break in - could easily become the next Wes Welker over the course of the season -  especially with his intuitive knowledge of the playbook.

Again, call me crazy, but I see no reason whatsoever to bring in anyone. This is DHB's big opportunity to finally prove his abilities and worth, and there was a great interview with him on the XM's "Moving the Chains" yesterday. Of course, talk is just talk and play on the field another matter - but I like what I heard from him.

T.Y. and Brazil are both junior Marvin Harrison's in the works.

Are there going to be mistakes, drops, route issues, miscues - of course - but let's get that sorted out now, in the regular season before it counts in the playoffs....

Just my two cents.

ColtsHappy

Call me crazy, but with the experience that Griff has already had with Andrew, and the fact that they were not only teammates but roommates at Stanford - I hold out very high hopes for him. Griff in the slot to me - given a proper chance to break in - could easily become the next Wes Welker over the course of the season - especially with his intuitive knowledge of the playbook.

Again, call me crazy, but I see no reason whatsoever to bring in anyone. This is DHB's big opportunity to finally prove his abilities and worth, and there was a great interview with him on the XM's "Moving the Chains" yesterday. Of course, talk is just talk and play on the field another matter - but I like what I heard from him.

Are there going to be mistakes, drops, route issues, miscues - of course - but let's get that sorted out now, in the regular season before it counts in the playoffs....

Just my two cents.

ColtsHappy

:agree:

Call me crazy, but with the experience that Griff has already had with Andrew, and the fact that they were not only teammates but roommates at Stanford - I hold out very high hopes for him. Griff in the slot to me - given a proper chance to break in - could easily become the next Wes Welker over the course of the season - especially with his intuitive knowledge of the playbook.

Just my two cents.

ColtsHappy

I still struggle to understand this forum's love affair with Grif Whalen. When he has played with starters or in real games, he has been invisible. People want to talk about "that one time he was wide open but Luck went to Reggie instead" as if that somehow means something.

I suppose it does mean something that he's still a Colt, but likewise, it is also significant that he is only on the practice squad. Not true NFL material, IMO.

I still struggle to understand this forum's love affair with Grif Whalen. When he has played with starters or in real games, he has been invisible. People want to talk about "that one time he was wide open but Luck went to Reggie instead" as if that somehow means something.

I suppose it does mean something that he's still a Colt, but likewise, it is also significant that he is only on the practice squad. Not true NFL material, IMO.

There were flashes of brilliance from Griff who got major separation and several outstanding catches and looks in at least one of the pre season games. Maybe you missed the game, or don't remember - but Andrew was not at quarterback at the time.

I also watched Griff play with Stanford multiple times and I was VERY impressed with his ability. Certainly not even close to the fastest guy, but neither is Welker. He and Andrew had quite a chemistry and I believe they still do. If Griff can get a major opportunity on the field with the Colts I feel he will surprise and delight.

ColtsHappy

There were flashes of brilliance from Griff who got major separation and several outstanding catches and looks in at least one of the pre season games. Maybe you missed the game, or don't remember - but Andrew was not at quarterback at the time.

I also watched Griff play with Stanford multiple times and I was VERY impressed with his ability. Certainly not even close to the fastest guy, but neither is Welker.

ColtsHappy

I watched the games. It was not against anything resembling the opponents' starters.

You struggle to understand the love for Hilton and Whalen, but champion DHB.  I can say for sure, that DHB has not outperformed anyone, so I think you are playing favorites as well.

You struggle to understand the love for Hilton and Whalen, but champion DHB. I can say for sure, that DHB has not outperformed anyone, so I think you are playing favorites as well.

I did not champion DHB. I question why we're quick to knock him, but give TY a free pass and somehow think Whalen is NFL quality.

I see the offense as the Patriots, just without the good offensive line

No true #1 WR, just player's who can make plays when called on. And that's perfectly fine with me. Especially the way our defense plays with the Enforcer (Laron Landry for those who were loss) is back at safety

:thmup:

I agree, and to add the only time they had a true #1 was with a declining Moss.

Guest TeamLoloJones

How many Stanford games did you watch? Apparently not very many.

ColtsHappy

Griff did look good at Stanford.  But Fleener looked like an all pro tight end at Stanford, and that has yet to translate to the NFL.

Guest TeamLoloJones

We need to make a trade. What if one of the fill in guys gets hurt? Then what? The bye week was a perfect time to bring someone in and give them two weeks to get up to speed. Someone gets hurt now and you have less than a week.

Missed opportunity.

For all we know Grigson wanted to traded on Tuesday this week, but couldn't get a deal done.  We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

You struggle to understand the love for Hilton and Whalen, but champion DHB. I can say for sure, that DHB has not outperformed anyone, so I think you are playing favorites as well.

DHB has outperformed Whalen.....because he's played.

We need to make a trade. What if one of the fill in guys gets hurt? Then what? The bye week was a perfect time to bring someone in and give them two weeks to get up to speed. Someone gets hurt now and you have less than a week.

Missed opportunity.

Lavon Brazill

Ty Hilton

DHB

Griff Whalen

Da'Rick Rogers

We'll be fine. We barely run 4 wide sets. So it's 2-3 wide sets with 2 rotation guys. And then the TE group. We'll be fine

I still think the colts will get a reciever. Wayne is old. DHB doesn't exactly scare anyone. TY Hilton can't do it by himself. I bet we get a reciever. Yes Wayne is good. But this injury came at a bad time and age. So you heard it from me. We will find Wayne's replacement soon. And no I don't see us getting rid of Wayne next year

Just gonna have to be patient folks and let DHB and TY and Brazill show what they have as the go to wr's for a game, Im sure if 1 of them struggles, if we have the cash then a move of sorts will be made. Also remember for those that are wanting to bring in a free agent of any sort that that fa has to want to come here as well. Its not as easy as Grigson just picking the best wr on the market. In the mean time our receiving talent is going to have to grow up fast and the talent that has not lived up to its previous hype is going to have to do so now

There's nothing out there and teams won't trade talent or be looked down upon by the other teams as an "ENABLER", once you get that moniker you are scarred for life.  Reggie Wayne is gone, so likely is our playoff capabilities (no doubt about it) and if you couple that with a string of 4 other starters that are on the chuck wagon, it will not be good.

There's nothing out there and teams won't trade talent or be looked down upon by the other teams as an "ENABLER", once you get that moniker you are scarred for life. Reggie Wayne is gone, so likely is our playoff capabilities (no doubt about it) and if you couple that with a string of 4 other starters that are on the chuck wagon, it will not be good.

The Colts will make the playoffs just fine. Their second half schedule is far easier than the first half. They can ride that outstanding defensive secondary to wins.

The problem is against high scoring teams, the passing attack will be crippled without a #1 WR threat to draw opposing secondary attention and open things up for Hilton, Fleener, and Heyward-Bey. The loss of Reggie is overblown by doomsayers like this, but completely understated by people who think it will be fine.

Expect a big dropoff in 3rd down effeciency and even more stacked boxes of no move is made.

The Colts will make the playoffs just fine. Their second half schedule is far easier than the first half. They can ride that outstanding defensive secondary to wins.

The problem is against high scoring teams, the passing attack will be crippled without a #1 WR threat to draw opposing secondary attention and open things up for Hilton, Fleener, and Heyward-Bey. The loss of Reggie is overblown by doomsayers like this, but completely understated by people who think it will be fine.

Expect a big dropoff in 3rd down effeciency and even more stacked boxes of no move is made.

3rd down conversions are now going to be non-existent.  You think TRich is going to be able to pound through, DHB catch a 3rd and 12, Fleener, catch critical 3rd and 7, Hilton catch a 3rd and 15?  No, this will not happen.  Wayne is gone and needs to be replaced, plain and simple, we have no inside replacement - no bionic clone of Reggie.  Griff Whalon is going to have to step up or step out.  Turn into a wes welker or go home and don't bother us any more.  Be on your way.

Big difference.....Andrew Luck is no Tom Brady at this point in his career....Not close CONSISTENTLY yet

I'll give you that. But Luck is way further along when Brady to the reigns. Brady had a reay good defense and running game to help them win multiple superbowls.

Pickens are slim. We've lost 3 of our 4 best weapons on offense already. Bradshaw, Allen and Wayne. The empty promise that is DHB is the biggest question mark going forward. Going into the year, the promise that is DHB should've spelled a great deal of relief if Wayne were to have gone down. Wayne has gone down, and DHB has become an empty promise.

If DHB can just stop dropping the ball, we have a fairly known quantity in Hilton......if Brazil shows some flash and Fleener continues executing, I think we'll be fine with what we have.

One of those guys (other than Hilton) has to emerge, or we're in big trouble going into the playoffs. I don't think bringing a player in will amount to diddly-poo.

Drops this season

Reggie 4

TY 3

DHB 1