Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RG 3

dw49

Looks like some of the talking heads starting to come over to the side that thinks he has a ways to go.  Hopefully he can learn to get by his first read and develop into a great QB. I don't think it will happen as Shanahan is thinking more about his job security and wants him to "run.. just run Forrest." For sure will perk up the Washington offense , but long term a real disastrous srategy

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000265284/article/rgiiis-accuracy-questioned-by-nfc-personnel-director

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like some of the talking heads starting to come over to the side that thinks he has a ways to go.  Hopefully he can learn to get by his first read and develop into a great QB. I don't think it will happen as Shanahan is thinking more about his job security and wants him to "run.. just run Forrest." For sure will perk up the Washington offense , but long term a real disastrous srategy

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000265284/article/rgiiis-accuracy-questioned-by-nfc-personnel-director

I heard a sportscaster say on the radio yesterday that RG had said he didn't need the preseason and that he was just focused on being ready for week 1. I have botched the exact quote but I think he may have gotten ahead of himself a bit. Every young player needs the off-season and especially the preseason to develop. I think that along with still recovering from the injury are his biggest issues not an inherent lack of talent or ability. We saw what he could do last year so it is premature to think he can't get  back to that form. Also, I think if we are honest, his team really stinks this year and that falls on Shanny. I have not looked at their draft or FA but the team is pretty bad so I think that has to be taken into consideration as well. I mean look at Luck. He is winning while barely throwing the ball at all this year because his team has improved since last year. He is relying on his run and defense because he can. RG can rely on neither AND he is not healthy or in synch with his O.

I heard a sportscaster say on the radio yesterday that RG had said he didn't need the preseason and that he was just focused on being ready for week 1. I have botched the exact quote but I think he may have gotten ahead of himself a bit. Every young player needs the off-season and especially the preseason to develop. I think that along with still recovering from the injury are his biggest issues not an inherent lack of talent or ability. We saw what he could do last year so it is premature to think he can't get back to that form. Also, I think if we are honest, his team really stinks this year and that falls on Shanny. I have not looked at their draft or FA but the team is pretty bad so I think that has to be taken into consideration as well. I mean look at Luck. He is winning while barely throwing the ball at all this year because his team has improved since last year. He is relying on his run and defense because he can. RG can rely on neither AND he is not healthy or in synch with his O.

I understand what you're saying, but I have to come in and stick up for luck because last year when Andrew had the crap team, he was always snubbed for top spots to player Wilson and rg3 who had better teams. Now this year, the media wants to forgive rg3 for having a crap team when they didn't do that for luck?

Nope, no sympathy over here. The entire offseason he stayed in the camera and talked a good game, even throwing his coach under the bus at one point. Now it's time for him to back it up.

Comparing RG3 to Vince Young is a bit premature. People need to realize while Luck got another offseason to develop RG3 had to focus on rehab and did not get to use this offseason to work on his skills.

The guy showed last year he can get it done in the league. Now if next season comes and he has not progressed then I would be a bit worried.

I heard a sportscaster say on the radio yesterday that RG had said he didn't need the preseason and that he was just focused on being ready for week 1. I have botched the exact quote but I think he may have gotten ahead of himself a bit. Every young player needs the off-season and especially the preseason to develop. I think that along with still recovering from the injury are his biggest issues not an inherent lack of talent or ability. We saw what he could do last year so it is premature to think he can't get  back to that form. Also, I think if we are honest, his team really stinks this year and that falls on Shanny. I have not looked at their draft or FA but the team is pretty bad so I think that has to be taken into consideration as well. I mean look at Luck. He is winning while barely throwing the ball at all this year because his team has improved since last year. He is relying on his run and defense because he can. RG can rely on neither AND he is not healthy or in synch with his O.

If there is a problem , it's the fact that defenses are a little more ready to defend a QB that either runs or throws to his first read. If he is just going to run more , which looks to be fine with Shanahan , he is going to end up on a scrap heap. I think Luck is a fairly complete QB and can do all the things that the top QB's can do. He has no problems going through a progression of reads or throwing outside the numbers. 

he's nothing like Vince Young.

Yeah, Vince Young is a winner, won the championship in college and won in the NFL...Bob Griffin won last year because of the gimmicky offense that can't be sustained..When they ask him to play like a real QB this year the 1-4 record speaks for itself...

Yeah, Vince Young is a winner, won the championship in college and won in the NFL...Bob Griffin won last year because of the gimmicky offense that can't be sustained..When they ask him to play like a real QB this year the 1-4 record speaks for itself...

plus VY is an awful QB.

Robert Griffin III has all the potential, but once you suffer a injury it is always in the back of your mind. At least for a while... but having said that I think Mike Shanahan is a bigger liability for Washington.

Shanny was always going to be the noose around RG3's neck. Hes a RB coach who was lucky enough to have a great QB in an era where RB's mattered more and great QB play was a luxury.

Washington's real problem is their defense struggles to do much of anything. They get torn apart fairly regularly, honestly.

Overall, if this continues, dont expect Snyder to sit on his laurels and let Shanahan blow whats supposed to be his franchise QB. Shanny may not feel it immediatly, but Im sure if things dont improve rapidly, the tenders might be set under his chair.

Robert Griffin III has all the potential, but once you suffer a injury it is always in the back of your mind. At least for a while... but having said that I think Mike Shanahan is a bigger liability for Washington.

This is the first post that hits my point. While I agree that RG3 has a world of talent , my point is that Shanahan is most concerned with winning now. That , IMO , includes ignoring Dr.James Andrews advise for Washington to make RG3 into a more conventional QB. Shanahan is fine with RG3 returning to running for 100 yards a year rather than developing him into a finished product. He wants to win now at all costs and that includes a possible short career for RG3.

Mike Shanahan: Anything short of the Super Bowl is a failure
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 23, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
350x-47.jpg?w=250AP

Mike Shanahan says the expectations are very high this season in Washington.

According to Shanahan, his players believe that they have what it takes to win the Super Bowl, and they won’t settle for anything less.

“We have a team that you’re going to be proud of,” Shanahan said. “They have set the expectations: anything short of a Super Bowl is a failure.”

If there is a problem , it's the fact that defenses are a little more ready to defend a QB that either runs or throws to his first read. If he is just going to run more , which looks to be fine with Shanahan , he is going to end up on a scrap heap. I think Luck is a fairly complete QB and can do all the things that the top QB's can do. He has no problems going through a progression of reads or throwing outside the numbers. 

I don't think RG has looked that bad the last couple of games. I think his defense is just plain awful not to mention his special teams.

I agree about Luck. He is the more pure pocket passer and can run if needed. Not sure why Pep is not letting him throw more as he can do it with the best of them but right now he near the bottom 5 of the league in passing.

I understand what you're saying, but I have to come in and stick up for luck because last year when Andrew had the crap team, he was always snubbed for top spots to player Wilson and rg3 who had better teams. Now this year, the media wants to forgive rg3 for having a crap team when they didn't do that for luck?

Nope, no sympathy over here. The entire offseason he stayed in the camera and talked a good game, even throwing his coach under the bus at one point. Now it's time for him to back it up.

The Redskins did not have a good team last year either - 22nd in points allowed which was worse then the Colts who were at 21. This year the bottom has fallen out of the Redskins with 27 allowed in points and yards.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I don't think RG has looked that bad the last couple of games. I think his defense is just plain awful not to mention his special teams.

I agree about Luck. He is the more pure pocket passer and can run if needed. Not sure why Pep is not letting him throw more as he can do it with the best of them but right now he near the bottom 5 of the league in passing.

The last game vs. the Cowbowys he finally got his legs again...but that was without question his worse game throwing the football he has had as a pro.  He missed throws horribly all game long.  His defense actually played very well vs. the Cowboys.  Did you watch the game?

The last game vs. the Cowbowys he finally got his legs again...but that was without question his worse game throwing the football he has had as a pro.  He missed throws horribly all game long.  His defense actually played very well vs. the Cowboys.  Did you watch the game?

Yes, he played well and his defense but his special teams were putrid.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yes, he played well and his defense but his special teams were putrid.

Yes, he played well?  What game were you watching?

Yes, he played well?  What game were you watching?

I thought his passes looked crisp and were on target for the most part. The game was within one score in the second half until his SP let up another huge return allowing the Cowboys to go two scores. It was a terrible effort on SP more than any other facet of the game.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I thought his passes looked crisp and were on target for the most part. The game was within one score in the second half until his SP let up another huge return allowing the Cowboys to go two scores. It was a terrible effort on SP more than any other facet of the game.

I'm sorry but how can you say that if you watched the game?  He looked like he didn't know how to throw a football on half his drop backs.  You can not seriously tell me RG3 looked good passing in that game.  That was his worst throwing performance I have ever seen him have.