Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you define CLUTCH?

amfootball

He screwed up twice and defense got him the ball. I dont know what is clutch in it. Clutch is close out the game in your own terms( remember the one he missed with 4th and 2 in 2009 against - whats that team? ).

JJ - Thanks for the advice. 

Again you're just trying to paint a picture that isnt there.  Brady did not "screw up" twice, he screwed up once with that bad read where he got picked off...  Yea, that was a screw up.. the drive before that was his receivers screwing up on a 3rd and 4th down back to back.

Nice try though trying to put his receivers drops on him though as his own personal "screw up" just to try and desperately push your point across.  It obviously bothers you a great deal that he was able to pull off that win, because there are a lot of people on this board that despise him and try desperately to search for reasons to point to why he isn't really an amazing hall of fame QB.

Sorry to break the news to you, but Brady is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer and one of the greatest to ever play his position.

Haters gonna hate.

Point is Belichick and Pats defense are playing a major role in Pats winning games this year. Credit needs to be given to them. Reminds me of Pats SB winning years.

Dont think you're going to find too many Pats fans all upset that the defense that Brady has had to carry on his back for the last 5 years is finally playing up to their ability and contributing towards some victories.

Without the Colts D stepping on in 2006 during their playoff run, Manning would have never won his only SB ring.  Football is a team game, but I do find it amusing that you use comments like "but the Patriots Defense is helping them win games!" to somehow diminish Brady.

Its also pretty obvious to anyone who knows and watches football, and these games, that Brady's numbers are down because of the talent around him.

2012 WRs

Wes Welker who is the best slot receiver in the game and potential Hall of Famer - GONE

Aaron Hernandez, a superstar planned to be a pillar of the offense, given 8 year deal -   GONE

Rob Gronkowski, record setting monster super star tight end that they gave an 8 year deal to and planned on him being a pillar of this franchise going forward - GONE

Brandon Lloyd, a veteran WR that caught 75ish balls and was their #1 outside WR last year - GONE

Deion Branch, vet WR that has a high football IQ and who Brady turned into a SB MVP - GONE

Danny Woodhead, a crafty 3rd down back that excelled in the passing game and on draws - GONE

Danny Amendola, big FA signing expected to fill the gap left by Welker - Has missed more games than he has played in

What is left over?  Oh just 3 rookies, one of which wasnt even drafted and a Tight End with a name that no one can even pronounce. A group of skill players that were SECOND in DROPS going into the Saints game, and after that game I would not be surprised if they moved into first place for drops because they dropped A LOT of balls in that game.

Gee, lets call a meeting of the minds together to figure out whats going on with the offense and why Brady's stats are down.  It must be that he really has never been that good of a QB after fooling everyone for 12 years in the league and is now finally showing his true colors!!! That obviously makes the most sense and sounds like the most intelligent conclusion!

You know what I also find hilarious is that all of Brady's haters are lining up right now just drooling over a chance to get their shots in on him, and yet everyone forgets that just last year he lead the #1 offense in the league and outscored the 2nd offense by OVER 100 POINTS lol...

Then he loses literally every single one of his top 6 weapons and they're replaced with 3 rookies and a JAG tight end and everyone points at him and is like OMG look hes not really that good! His stats are down, he is just average!

Its pretty amusing.

You know what I also find hilarious is that all of Brady's haters are lining up right now just drooling over a chance to get their shots in on him, and yet everyone forgets that just last year he lead the #1 offense in the league and outscored the 2nd offense by OVER 100 POINTS lol...

Then he loses literally every single one of his top 6 weapons and they're replaced with 3 rookies and a JAG tight end and everyone points at him and is like OMG look hes not really that good! His stats are down, he is just average!

Its pretty amusing.

What is really burning most haters is that he is 5-1 with two fourth quarter comebacks already and a defense that looks like the early '00's teams. If he gets the kinks ironed out in the offense and Gronk comes back this team will be the scariest to face come January. Jimmy Graham had ZERO catches. That is the most impressive stat of the year for a defense that was swiss cheese last year against the pass.

What is really burning most haters is that he is 5-1 with two fourth quarter comebacks already and a defense that looks like the early '00's teams. If he gets the kinks ironed out in the offense and Gronk comes back this team will be the scariest to face come January. Jimmy Graham had ZERO catches. That is the most impressive stat of the year for a defense that was swiss cheese last year against the pass.

I don't quite feel as comfortable in the defense in as much they are not always a guaranteed stop when needed. BB drafted some high round talent who are now in their 2nd and 3rd year and its paying off nicely.

But the early Pat's defense was pure hard core veteran. Brian Cox, Willie McGuinest, Rodney Harrison TY Law etc. Even Julias Adams and 36 year old Roman Phifer in Rams SB.

I don't quite feel as comfortable in the defense in as much they are not always a guaranteed stop when needed. BB drafted some high round talent who are now in their 2nd and 3rd year and its paying off nicely.

But the early Pat's defense was pure hard core veteran. Brian Cox, Willie McGuinest, Rodney Harrison TY Law etc. Even Julias Adams and 36 year old Roman Phifer in Rams SB.

The Defense could get scary real quick too..  Wilfork is done for the year, with the 2nd and 3rd most important players on the D both getting injured last night in Jerod Mayo and Aqib Talib.  If their injuries are serious, that will be a HUGE problem for the D going forward.

Mayo was basically as important to the D as Wilfork was because of his playmaking ability and his leadership.  He is the one that wears the green dot helmet and lines everyone up and hes a very talented player that is always around the ball.  Losing him would be a HUGE blow to the Pats D, but no word yet on how serious his injury was.  He was seen with his arm in a sling leaving the locker room though :(  

Aqib Talib is a true #1 CB and is also vital to our success, because its rare to have a guy like him that you can just stick on the offenses most talented receiver, including big physical ones, and he will perform well.  We have been missing that type of talent since Ty Law left the team and if his hip injury is serious then just like that Wilfork, Mayo and Talib are out and the defense would take huge steps backwards.  Add in a Tommy Kelly injury to boot and this defense is an injury or two away from mediocrity again.   Very scary to think about.. 

This Patriots team has been snake bitten with injuries since the beginning of the season and continues to suffer serious losses due to injury.  Amendola, Mayo and Talib all left the game with injuries yesterday.

The Defense could get scary real quick too..  Wilfork is done for the year, with the 2nd and 3rd most important players on the D both getting injured last night in Jerod Mayo and Aqib Talib.  If their injuries are serious, that will be a HUGE problem for the D going forward.

Mayo was basically as important to the D as Wilfork was because of his playmaking ability and his leadership.  He is the one that wears the green dot helmet and lines everyone up and hes a very talented player that is always around the ball.  Losing him would be a HUGE blow to the Pats D, but no word yet on how serious his injury was.  He was seen with his arm in a sling leaving the locker room though :(

Aqib Talib is a true #1 CB and is also vital to our success, because its rare to have a guy like him that you can just stick on the offenses most talented receiver, including big physical ones, and he will perform well.  We have been missing that type of talent since Ty Law left the team and if his hip injury is serious then just like that Wilfork, Mayo and Talib are out and the defense would take huge steps backwards.  Add in a Tommy Kelly injury to boot and this defense is an injury or two away from mediocrity again.   Very scary to think about.. 

This Patriots team has been snake bitten with injuries since the beginning of the season and continues to suffer serious losses due to injury.  Amendola, Mayo and Talib all left the game with injuries yesterday.

Yeah no doubt if Mayo is out for any length is pretty much curtains. I remember when he was out for most of the year one time and it showed. I think  Talib will be back soon. Denard is not the worst replacement either except he's short:) But most of what the D has done this year is from Talib being able to handle the best 1v1 and Mayo of course in the middle.

Again you're just trying to paint a picture that isnt there.  Brady did not "screw up" twice, he screwed up once with that bad read where he got picked off...  Yea, that was a screw up.. the drive before that was his receivers screwing up on a 3rd and 4th down back to back.

Nice try though trying to put his receivers drops on him though as his own personal "screw up" just to try and desperately push your point across.  It obviously bothers you a great deal that he was able to pull off that win, because there are a lot of people on this board that despise him and try desperately to search for reasons to point to why he isn't really an amazing hall of fame QB.

Sorry to break the news to you, but Brady is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer and one of the greatest to ever play his position.

Haters gonna hate.

You have to refer and expand  - "everyone in the board", "hall of fame", "trying to get personal with me"  and "bring in Manning" ( lol where did that come from ).

You don't have to get this defensive. Just try to be logical and oh drinking water helps.

After one of the most dramatic days in Boston sports history with the Pats winning on a game winning TD and Ortiz hitting a slam in the 8th to bring the Sox back from a 5-1 deficit in a game that looked over all night long, the discussion this morning on sports radio has been defining clutch. One guy said it was playing the game the same in pressure moments as the non-pressure moments. I disagree. I think it is player bigger and better in the pressure moments that makes one clutch. I also think it is delivering when the game or situation looks hopeless. I am sure there is more to this and given Luck already seems to have the penchant for delivering with the game on the line, figured this would be a good topic to discuss ....

I am also still a Brooklyn / LA  Dodger fan , only team i liked in NY growing up in Brooklyn

Clutch

OCT 15th 1988 , 25 years ago today 

A Hurt Kirk Gibson  Suffering from a stomach virus and having injured both legs during the NLCS, Gibson was not expected to play at all ( Yet in his only bat at the plate of the series  ) came in and did a   pinch hit bottom of ninth 2 out homer game 1 world series to win , Dodgers use momentum to beat A's 4 straight 

Gibson, limping back and forth between a pulled left hamstring and a swollen right knee, made his way to the plate to face Oakland's future Hall of Fame closer Dennis Eckersley. Gibson quickly got behind in the count, 0–2, but laid off a pair of outside pitches that were called balls. He then kept the count at 2–2 by fouling off a pitch. On the 7th pitch of his at bat, a ball, Davis stole second. With an awkward, almost casual swing, Gibson used pure upper-body strength—and according to Gibson, advanced scouting-based knowledge of what the pitcher would likely throw with that count—to smack a 3–2 backdoor slider over the right-field fence. He hobbled around the bases and pumped his fist as his jubilant teammates stormed the field. The Dodgers won the game, 5–4, and would go on to win the World Series, four games to one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Gibson

Its pretty amusing.

& Peyton did alot too with rookie Collie and Garcon playing for first time in his second year as was from small school and the balir white project when needed

Great QBs, Great leaders elevate, I appreciate both players accomplishments

He screwed up twice and defense got him the ball. I dont know what is clutch in it. Clutch is close out the game in your own terms( remember the one he missed with 4th and 2 in 2009 against - whats that team? ).

JJ - Thanks for the advice. 

While I always appreciate the "other view," I think you're over-simplifying a lot of things.

Brady threw a perfect ball on that 4th-and-out series that bounced off Dobson's chest. The INT was terrible, but probably a bad throw combined with bad communication (the receiver was turned the other way, so you never know unless you were in the huddle). Don't get me wrong, Brady was not great for about 59 minutes yesterday. And it hasn't been his best season in a lot of ways with the slightly off-target throws and whatnot. But I think your analysis is greatly influenced by your obvious dislike of the player. 

Oh, and Kevin Faulk had that first down on 4th-and-2. Completely bogus spot on that play. But what are ya gonna do, it was four years ago.  ;)

Siants offense failed a few times to close out and Pats d stopped them, , u then dont give brady an extra chance

agree that was tremendous ending & stopping Graham incredible ,

not taking anything away from that last drive by brady , this game shows its a team game and not 1 player,

though as always that last drive by a qb will be remembered, I know for me it will, the rest of the game will become fuzzy as far as particular details are concerened

"Clutch" is something made up by the sportstainment industry to sell story ines to casuals. There was nothing clutch about what Brady did yesterday. He lost the game twice, but the Saints simply choked on the third try. But it fits the BSPN narrative.

Its pretty amusing.

You know what I find even more hilarious?  The fact that patriot and Brady fans feel the need to come into a Colts forum to back their team up. Then when a Colts fan don't agree with them or don't turn back flips for their opinions then it turns borderline trollism on their part. So what if the Patriots have had injuries or personal changes. Welcome to the NFL where every team goes through the same thing. I am a Colts fan but I don't feel I need to go to the Patriot forum to voice my opinion because I know they don't care what I think. It's even more funnier to read the made up comments that some of you make as to make sure you don't cross the out and out troll line. It's pretty amusing as well.

though as always that last drive by a qb will be remembered, I know for me it will, the rest of the game will become fuzzy as far as particular details are concerened

I'm not sure if that speaks more to the performance of a QB or the short attention span of Americans.

While I always appreciate the "other view," I think you're over-simplifying a lot of things.

Brady threw a perfect ball on that 4th-and-out series that bounced off Dobson's chest. The INT was terrible, but probably a bad throw combined with bad communication (the receiver was turned the other way, so you never know unless you were in the huddle). Don't get me wrong, Brady was not great for about 59 minutes yesterday. And it hasn't been his best season in a lot of ways with the slightly off-target throws and whatnot. But I think your analysis is greatly influenced by your obvious dislike of the player. 

Oh, and Kevin Faulk had that first down on 4th-and-2. Completely bogus spot on that play. But what are ya gonna do, it was four years ago.  ;)

So if that was the case 4 years ago I guess Marlin Jackson's interception of Brady was just as "clutch"? 

After one of the most dramatic days in Boston sports history with the Pats winning on a game winning TD and Ortiz hitting a slam in the 8th to bring the Sox back from a 5-1 deficit in a game that looked over all night long, the discussion this morning on sports radio has been defining clutch. One guy said it was playing the game the same in pressure moments as the non-pressure moments. I disagree. I think it is player bigger and better in the pressure moments that makes one clutch. I also think it is delivering when the game or situation looks hopeless. I am sure there is more to this and given Luck already seems to have the penchant for delivering with the game on the line, figured this would be a good topic to discuss ....

Clutch does exist . . . those who say it does not are simply trying to look smart . . . like "hey don't listen to the majority, I know was it correct and clutch does not exist . . ."  . . . but it does . . . the only battleground is how to define it . . .  

for me it is simple . . . whenever you are at event in which your internal organs start to act different . . . okay that might be a tad broad, but you know what I mean, watching a key moment in the game, organizing a party, public speaking, a wedding, and on and on . . .  it might be "butterflies" in your stomach, a running nose, coughing, studder speech, or whatever . . . but we all know when the time comes and we feel not the most comfortable and how it effects us .  . .  and times we are grumpy or nervous or whatever and perhaps some of us do not perform to our best, like when we have a more relaxing moment to perform . . . so how ever that affects you it affect you . . . some can get through it no problems, other sometimes, and some no so much . . . 

so what that feeling is or how it affects one personally, the end of game is just such a time . . . we all know it as fans as we too get some degree of this feeling as watching as fans . . . some may not care about the 1st qtr in a game in September are out mowing our lawns, but we are glue to our tvs and don't want to miss a moment of a playoff game, the feeling overall is different  . . .

So with said there is a moment in time when things are different and affect occur on us . . . and the ones that able to get through with the least affects and/or the most percentage numbers of times are going to be more effective . . .

So that is how I define a clutch moment, when ones internal chemistry is affected and how often does one get through it and/or perform better in the moment, . . . one might try to think of it as just an another occurrence, some say things slow down for them, some have an interesting effect of they get calmer and so on . . .

But certainly the end of a key game, or a key moment in a game is clutch moment . . . also throughout a key game it is clutch, your first pass of a playoff game, a key 3 down conversation at a key moment in the game and so on

Stepping back for a moment to defining who might be clutch is a whole other animal in my book, as one needs to look at number of opportunities, did they fail early and given a second change and so on . . .  

if a QB has 5 game winning drive in season, but was in a dog fight in all of the games but ended up going 5-11, yea he has 5 game winning drives, but he is 5-11 in those opportunities . . . so yes he has 5 but his percentage is way off at 5-11 . . .

similarly, if in a key game one coughs up a fir ball and then get a second bit at the apple is he really clutch for that game . . . to a degree yes but one needs factor in this earlier failure . . . for example yes Brady was clutch in the end but he had two bites at the apple, although not really his fault the first one as the ball was dropped . . . also Brady was clutch in SB 36 at the end, but could not move the ball earlier much . . . the same came be said for AV, he coughed up a fur ball in SB 39 by missing two key first half FG in a tight game, then got a third chance, thanks to his team, and kick a FG with the game tied and some like to give him tons of credit even though he missed two FGs earlier in the game . . . Manning was clutch in 2006 AFCCG and with the final drive, but was 3 and out in the preceding drive and if Heath Evans was not Mr. 12th Man in the huddle, the Pats likely pick up a first down and the game is basically over . . .  

of coarse one can be clutch in my book even in a loss . . . Manning drove his team down for a game leading FG against the Jets only to loss the game . . . similarly Brady took this team to a game leading perfect season saving drive in SB42 only to see a series of "this would not happen again in 20 tries" events to cost them 19-0 . . . and there are others too that we have seen . . .

surely to the victors goes the stories in the history books . . .

but for me a clutch moment is a key moment in game in which one feel a little bit different and it does not necessarily have to be at the end of the game . . . one must look at both success and failure, and number of opportunities and the percentage of times he has success to get a better picture . . . it really a body or work as opposed to one key game SB36 or the "catch", and one should look at both wins and losses . . . but overall for me, step back and look how one performs at moments when we start to feel a little different, look at the percentage of success, and if you wish, add more weight to moments where ones internal chemistry is more affected than others . . . .

my two cents . . .

EDIT: I hope I was not too brief . . . . :cheer2:

So if that was the case 4 years ago I guess Marlin Jackson's interception of Brady was just as "clutch"? 

I don't really get what you mean here. You're obviously upset about this thread (which, by the way, is in the "NFL" section right where it belongs) so why are you even reading it if it's making you all angry and emotional? 

Marlin Jackson's INT was a very heady play by him and probably the highlight of his career. It was a poor throw/decision by Brady. But overall, no one is going to be perfect in every game, and the great games have certainly outweighed the bad ones for #12. 

You know what I find even more hilarious?  The fact that patriot and Brady fans feel the need to come into a Colts forum to back their team up. Then when a Colts fan don't agree with them or don't turn back flips for their opinions then it turns borderline trollism on their part. So what if the Patriots have had injuries or personal changes. Welcome to the NFL where every team goes through the same thing. I am a Colts fan but I don't feel I need to go to the Patriot forum to voice my opinion because I know they don't care what I think. It's even more funnier to read the made up comments that some of you make as to make sure you don't cross the out and out troll line. It's pretty amusing as well.

Hey Junior, I've been on this Colts message board since 2002 so I don't really need you or anyone else telling me where I should or shouldn't be posting.  Im a football fan and a Patriots fan and the Patriots and Colts are two of the great organizations in this league that have had a very intense rivalry over the last decade.  

I enjoy opposing opinions when they aren't laced with an abundance of hate and bias.

Hey Junior, I've been on this Colts message board since 2002 so I don't really need you or anyone else telling me where I should or shouldn't be posting.  Im a football fan and a Patriots fan and the Patriots and Colts are two of the great organizations in this league that have had a very intense rivalry over the last decade.  

I enjoy opposing opinions when they aren't laced with an abundance of hate and bias.

Just reading you are probably out for the year. Plus DA is maybe injured again? 

I really couldn't care less about how long you have been doing anything. Where in my comment does it say what you should or shouldn't post. Did I hit a nerve with a little of the truth that would explain you taking my comment with aggression?  I made my comment as an observation and that is exactly what I said. As far as your calling me junior that's fine because there is zero you could say that would make me lower myself with juvenile name calling. You made the comment as to what you found hilarious to you, well I find you being in the Colts forum just as hilarious. For myself I don't feel the need to go to the Patriots forum and stick my chest out just like you did. So feel free to keep doing what you do and I will continue to keep laughing.

http://captaincomeback.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/my-3-year-story-of-nfl-comebacks-crusade-over-conspiracy/

Just reading you are probably out for the year. Plus DA is maybe injured again? 

Yea Mayo has a torn pectoral muscle.  its like an 11 week recovery timeline, so he MIGHT be available for a playoff push if they choose to carry him as dead weight on the roster for 11 weeks.  Brutal, brutal blow to the defense, especially with Wilfork out the week before.. Thats the core of our defense right up the gut that was All-Pro and now they're both gone.

Talib has a hip flexor injury, which is a couple week recovery time but its also something you can play through depending on the severity, its just incredibly painful.

DA pretty sure got a concussion.  He got knocked out cold from that hit which looked like helmet to helmet but they didnt flag anyone for it.  To pour salt in the wound, his yardage didnt count because they got Solder for offensive holding.   Wilfork, Mayo, Talib and Amendola all out in 2 games.  This team cant catch a break on the injury front.

Thanks for posting that. It was a great read and hit the nail on the head on being "captain comeback."

Apologies that is the wrong article, and I don't have time to find the correct one. However, sift through that blog and you will see in detail how clutch should be defined, and who truly is clutch... based on in-depth and incredibly revealing stats.

Yea Mayo has a torn pectoral muscle.  its like an 11 week recovery timeline, so he MIGHT be available for a playoff push if they choose to carry him as dead weight on the roster for 11 weeks.  Brutal, brutal blow to the defense, especially with Wilfork out the week before.. Thats the core of our defense right up the gut that was All-Pro and now they're both gone.

Talib has a hip flexor injury, which is a couple week recovery time but its also something you can play through depending on the severity, its just incredibly painful.

DA pretty sure got a concussion.  He got knocked out cold from that hit which looked like helmet to helmet but they didnt flag anyone for it.  To pour salt in the wound, his yardage didnt count because they got Solder for offensive holding.   Wilfork, Mayo, Talib and Amendola all out in 2 games.  This team cant catch a break on the injury front.

it was helmet to helmet but because he was a runner at that point its ok.

Mayo of all players to lose. I know BB is good at replacements but the gut being ripped out is not very playoff friendly :)

How do you define CLUTCH?

A mechanism for connecting and disconnecting a vehicle engine from its transmission system associated with a stick or manual transmission. Or to put more simply, the pedal operating a vehicle’s clutch. It hurts like hades when the driver pops the clutch & slams your head into the seat's head rest too. Oh, you wanted a serious answer...Okay, I will drop the sarcasm now. 

lower-clutch-1.jpg

I define clutch as the pedal you depress before shifting gears in a manual shift car.

Ex. I had to double clutch to downshift in my old Chevrolet Pickup truck.

I didn't see your answer before I posted my response No 1 Manning Fan. My apologies sir. Clearly great minds think alike!  :thmup: