Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson is a stud when we use him properly...

jshipp23

I agree, as great as AP is it would be hard for him to average more then 3.8 ypc because of the fb and it's so obvious when we run. Also the Vikings have a run oriented o-line with Loadholt,Khalil,Sullivan but they struggle in pass protection. Theirs a reason Trent Richardson was drafted 3rd overall and it wasn't because the Browns reached. He was regarded as a top 5 pick by most if not all gm's.  Mike Mayock, Matt Mller, Charles Davis, and many other analyst  and scouts regarded Trent as the best RB prospect since AP. The Rams and Jeff Fisher who were picking 6th that year were gonna get Trent but traded back once the Browns drafted him. Trent is one of the top 3 most physically gifted rb's in the league he just needs to be used more in 3 WR sets and you will see how great of a player he can be.

Here's the article about Jeff Fisher on Richardson

http://nfltraderumors.co/jeff-fisher-shows-some-interest-in-rb-trent-richardson/

Coming out of college I actually liked David Wilson more than Richardson. Unfortunately, the giants are a mess and he can't stay out of the doghouse because of his fumbling.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Those not liking the trade have me scratching my head. Our record in the first round is not something to cling to.

The more flim I've watched of TRich the more I've noticed...he is a phenomenal blocker.  He has made some great blocks, and he is so quick to get to his man. That 73 yard TD to Hilton doesn't happen without a TRich block.  We have yet to put his receiving skills to work, and he's got to get going as a runner.  But already this kid is as good of a blocker as I have seen, which is amazing for such a young player.  Nick Saban taught this kid well.

who is throwing garbage Richardson's way?  I haven't seen it and i'm on this board every day.  While he doesn't have the best ypc he has had average to bad olines in front of him.  He does his job which is to get people to commit more to the box which allows luck better match-ups on the outside.  He also knows how to pick up a blitz unlike brown.  

I do agree that we need more TY but it would be ignorant to start the game out in these sets flinging the ball everywhere.  This isn't Peyton's Colts anymore, we are smashmouth over finesse.

Sorry to burst your bubble but we are a power running team first which helps protect Luck because our line is average at best. 

Edge also had a better line in front of him creating holes and running lanes.  

There is a growing group with each game that is thinking rich was a bad trade.

Those not liking the trade have me scratching my head. Our record in the first round is not something to cling to.

Picks made Polian don't really count.  Grigson only has 2 first round picks to go by and one of those (Luck) doesn't really count. So really Grigson has only made one first round pick which was Werner.  That's not a big enough sample size and we have not seen enough of Werner to say how good (or bad) Grigson is at selecting early talent.

However, if we are to believe many on here who vehemently defend the trade and the 1st round pick is not a big loss, because Grigson will easily be able to find Wayne's replacement and similarly skilled starting talent at other positions in later rounds; then we can only assume that any first round pick he would make would be a "home run".

I think Havilli is pretty good and using a FB worked well with Bradshaw as the RB but now Bradshaw is on IR. Colts should play to TRich's strengths , which happens to get Hilton more involved, makes use of the 1 good TE that's available, and gives Luck many more play choices at the line. They can still be as balanced as before. Just because they'd use formations that remind us of the PM era doesn't mean they would be a finesse team. Actually it could be very similar to the offense style the Colts used in their SB run (2006).

Where is the old 'stretch play' when ya need it!!!  :)  I think it would work to the left......to the right?  Not so much :)   Maybe if we pull Thornton!!! :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

What like preaching the need for another back before the draft and saying with a high caliber RB it would only open things up for Luck??? We acquired Bradshaw and traded for Richardson....For saying Bernard and Lacy were gonna be good??? They look pretty good..For saying Matt Schaub is terrible?? He is terrible? For questioning our coaches?? I still question the coaches, but the talent Grigson brought in is winning despite the coaches...For saying Teo' was a was gonna be a bust?? He hasn't done anything?? Sure I go out on a limb sometimes out of frustration or boredom, but many things I say are true and I admit many things I've said were wrong as well...

I was with you until this post jshipp23.  

Contrary to public opinion, we have one of the BEST 'teaching' staffs in the entire league..especially on the defensive side of the ball.  

Greg Manusky has always been considered a good teacher even though many times he has been called 'too conservative' when winning.

Mike Gillhamer and Roy Anderson are superb in the secondary....as teachers.

Maybe the best of all are Jeff Fitzgerald and Gary Emanuel with the LBs and DL.  Emanual taught some pretty special players at Purdue as well.

I would go to the offensive coaches....they deserve credit as well in this 4-1 start.  We will always analyze and over-analyse coaches...to a fault.  This group has these player 'tuned in' and that is what coaching is all about...and of course the leader...Chuck Pagano!!!!!!!!!!! :pass:  :pass:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that when grading our RBs, we have to look at the offensive line.  Bradshaw had a solid game running against the 49ers.  But go back and see he had holes.  Over the last few years, the Colts have been a horrid running team.  So when Donald Brown gets bashed for not being a good RB, keep in mind he was rarely seeing any holes.   Same thing with Richardson.   I also tend to agree that running lanes would be more available if TY was in and the defense was spread out more to where there was a chance for a pass or run.  

I look forward to when we get a better center and right guard.  I hope Holmes is the answer at center.  Once Thomas comes back, Thornton can move to right guard.

Speaking of Thornton, on TY Hiltons long TD pass last week, the first person to greet him was Fleener.  The second was Thornton.  He got down the field FAST!

The more flim I've watched of TRich the more I've noticed...he is a phenomenal blocker.  He has made some great blocks, and he is so quick to get to his man. That 73 yard TD to Hilton doesn't happen without a TRich block.  We have yet to put his receiving skills to work, and he's got to get going as a runner.  But already this kid is as good of a blocker as I have seen, which is amazing for such a young player.  Nick Saban taught this kid well.

YES!!!! I failed to mention this, but notice the same thing...I think he is possibly the best RB in the NFL at pass blocking and that says a lot about his attitude being only 22...A few years from now when AP is on the decline he will be the RB in the NFL along with Gurly and this will go down is a brilliant trade...I also wouldn't be mad if we pilfered Cleveland again for Josh Gordon as I think he is extremely talented and better than any receiver we could get at the bottom of the second...

I was with you until this post jshipp23.  

Contrary to public opinion, we have one of the BEST 'teaching' staffs in the entire league..especially on the defensive side of the ball.  

Greg Manusky has always been considered a good teacher even though many times he has been called 'too conservative' when winning.

Mike Gillhamer and Roy Anderson are superb in the secondary....as teachers.

Maybe the best of all are Jeff Fitzgerald and Gary Emanuel with the LBs and DL.  Emanual taught some pretty special players at Purdue as well.

I would go to the offensive coaches....they deserve credit as well in this 4-1 start.  We will always analyze and over-analyse coaches...to a fault.  This group has these player 'tuned in' and that is what coaching is all about...and of course the leader...Chuck Pagano!!!!!!!!!!! :pass:  :pass:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's more about X's and O's and not the teaching or players buying in...You have to agree we don't have a Sean Payton or Bill Belichik creating our schemes, we are very conservative on both sides of the ball and predictable...That being said, we a fundamentally sound and don't make a lot of mistakes and play extremely hard so I do give our coaches credit for that..Just would like to see more creativity on both sides of the ball...I think we should have easily beaten Miami and credit that loss to poor coaching and being way to conservative,,

Hey, while we are handing out blame, I'm wanting to know who to blame for the 4-1 record?

Does anyone think that the Jumbo formation, the delivering the "Body Blows" early in games has anything to do with our ability to execute our running game later?

I for one think that Pags and Pep are on to something here, maybe not conventional, but it seems like it is working.

Maybe convincing the other D to  the fact that we are going to run, run, run, might have something to do with TY being widopen on that 73 yd. bomb or him being covered 1 on 1 for the other???

I think that our coaches are on to something here, and although not adhering to the conventional wisdom of todays NFL pass first philosophy, it is working. I really have a feeling that what we are doing now is just "setting up" what they are going to spring on teams in the future. I'm no expert, but that's my thinking.

Yes, the 3-wide does seem to work well and better ypc may result, but I think it is set up by what has come before.

Grudgingly I am starting to believe in Pep's system, until we flat out get stuffed, I will reserve judgement.

My 2-bits...

Hey, while we are handing out blame, I'm wanting to know who to blame for the 4-1 record?

Does anyone think that the Jumbo formation, the delivering the "Body Blows" early in games has anything to do with our ability to execute our running game later?

I for one think that Pags and Pep are on to something here, maybe not conventional, but it seems like it is working.

Maybe convincing the other D to  the fact that we are going to run, run, run, might have something to do with TY being widopen on that 73 yd. bomb or him being covered 1 on 1 for the other???

I think that our coaches are on to something here, and although not adhering to the conventional wisdom of todays NFL pass first philosophy, it is working. I really have a feeling that what we are doing now is just "setting up" what they are going to spring on teams in the future. I'm no expert, but that's my thinking.

Yes, the 3-wide does seem to work well and better ypc may result, but I think it is set up by what has come before.

Grudgingly I am starting to believe in Pep's system, until we flat out get stuffed, I will reserve judgement.

My 2-bits...

Or you can look at it from the other perspective??? We could be blowing teams out from the get go instead of letting teams like the Dolphins and Raiders hang around and have a chance to steal games they have no business being in...Just my 2 cents...

I think that's what you need to do. Power running in power run formations works with a good runningback who has good vision. If you're telling me that Andrew Luck isn't a big enough threat for defenses to worry about even in a power-set than I think you're crazy. The last few years when the Jags, vikings, Texans, Eagles, 9ers, Redskins, and other teams with a great rb come out in a obvious running formation they still get a good chunk of yardage. None of those teams have a better qb or even receiving core than the Colts. Trent doesn't have good vision, he has all the physical tools but not the greatest vision. Someone on here even made a picture collage of him missing some key and obvious holes, and instead choosing just to run into the scrum of lineman. 

The kool-aid drinkers just don`t get how bad our Center & Guards are. We are BAD up the middle. They don`t move anyone so the FB can open up a hole. The execution on pulls is consistently weak. 

Pep knows his O will work and is building it long term with the players he has. Looks like to me that 5 games into the season he and Andrew have it all moving along very nicely and they will have a lot more added 5 games from now let alone by seasons end.

He needs a really Good Center and a Mauler Guard (Larry Allen type would do ;-)) and that would shut up Some of you impatient dandy fans. I thought he set TY up for success quit nicely last game and can`t wait for him and Andrew to keep getting better in this Offense.

We are just getting started, but unfortunately, some Just Don`t Get It!

Pep don`t need yur help, he is doing just fine 5 games into it.

The kool-aid drinkers just don`t get how bad our Center & Guards are. We are BAD up the middle. They don`t move anyone so the FB can open up a hole. The execution on pulls is consistently weak. 

Pep knows his O will work and is building it long term with the players he has. Looks like to me that 5 games into the season he and Andrew have it all moving along very nicely and they will have a lot more added 5 games from now let alone by seasons end.

He needs a really Good Center and a Mauler Guard (Larry Allen type would do ;-)) and that would shut up Some of you impatient dandy fans. I thought he set TY up for success quit nicely last game and can`t wait for him and Andrew to keep getting better in this Offense.

What makes Trent Richardson , Trent Richardson is he doesn't need a fullback...Let him get a head of steam and hole or not he is gonna carry guys 3 to 5 yards and punish the defense...If you have been watching he gets stuck behind the fullback and can't get any momentum...

Guest TeamLoloJones

People are all to willing to dump on McGlynn and Satele until they are trying to critique TRich and say he's not worth the trade, then all of a sudden we have a great o-line and Trich stinks.

Here is a thought...As you stated we don't have the personnel to run Pep's offense yet so how about we change the philosophy and play to the strengths of the personnel we have?? 3 wide, run Richardson out of single back sets and utilize play action and get him involved in the passing game game as well...When we get the mauler guards you're talking about and a fullback worth a crap and they can overpower teams and open up holes despite 8 men in the box then run the power formations.....

What makes Trent Richardson , Trent Richardson is he doesn't need a fullback...Let him get a head of steam and hole or not he is gonna carry guys 3 to 5 yards and punish the defense...If you have been watching he gets stuck behind the fullback and can't get any momentum...

Gee, i watch every play in slo-mo. Way to often our fullback has NO OPENING to clear out. As a unit, our Center & Guards are weak, if not BAD. Pep will keep them working at it as they are who he has THIS SEASON.

Pep has a plan (Offense), one with a long history of winning Super Bowls. It is already showing nice signs, the goonies seem to lack vision and have too little patience.

Lots of opinions, we just LUV our Colts!

I'm not an "impatient dandy fan" I suggest you not to label me as such. No reason to run trent in those formations when we don't have the line for it. 

What like preaching the need for another back before the draft and saying with a high caliber RB it would only open things up for Luck??? We acquired Bradshaw and traded for Richardson....For saying Bernard and Lacy were gonna be good??? They look pretty good..For saying Matt Schaub is terrible?? He is terrible? For questioning our coaches?? I still question the coaches, but the talent Grigson brought in is winning despite the coaches...For saying Teo' was a was gonna be a bust?? He hasn't done anything?? Sure I go out on a limb sometimes out of frustration or boredom, but many things I say are true and I admit many things I've said were wrong as well...

I don't recall anyone outright saying not to bring in another RB.  I do recall people disagreeing with your assertion that we needed to draft either Lacy or Bernard with our 1st round pick.  As for Bernard and Lacy, I do recall people questioning Lacy and you admitting yourself that you were initially overestimating him.  I don't recall anyone saying Bernard would not be good, but rather that he was not worth a 1st round pick.  Which, apparently he wasn't because he and Lacy both were drafted in round 2.

Schaub is not terrible.  He's definitely in a slump but he's far from terrible.  He's not elite either and likely never will be but he's far from terrible.

Te'o is already a bust?  Has he even been able to play yet?  He's been injured and we're only 5 weeks into his first NFL season.  Far too early to be saying you were right in regards to him not doing anything in the NFL.

My 2-bits...

no.  i think putting this team in horrible down and distance situations are not helping us be 4-1.  the power formation is not opening holes later in the game.  i would say it is hindering our offense way more than helping it

would manning let a run play happen on 1st and 10 when there were 10 guys in the box?  nope

no.  i think putting this team in horrible down and distance situations are not helping us be 4-1.  the power formation is not opening holes later in the game.  i would say it is hindering our offense way more than helping it

would manning let a run play happen on 1st and 10 when there were 10 guys in the box?  nope

Then Luck needs to take a leadership role and check out of it(in that situation), But I agree with you

Manning prob wants to check out of a run play when there is 6 in the box lol

you can still mix it up with a fullback.  you just have to actually throw out of that base formation

Yeah just much easier to cover without Hilton we have no speed on the outside to keep a safety back tho, but I see what you are saying and I agree it would be better than running into a wall like we have been doing...Missing Allen hurts us because he could play FB and we could audible out of power formations and not miss a beat...

Yeah just much easier to cover without Hilton we have no speed on the outside to keep a safety back tho, but I see what you are saying and I agree it would be better than running into a wall like we have been doing...Missing Allen hurts us because he could play FB and we could audible out of power formations and not miss a beat...

imo you never take hilton off the field

I am sick and tired of biting my tongue and seeing all this garbage thrown at Richardson's direction...First off, when we keep running goal line offense when we are nowhere near the goal line and they stack 8 or 9 guys in the box because it's so obvious you could put Adrian Peterson or Bo Jackson back there for that matter, and they are gonna only get 2 yards..He doesn't need a fullback it just slows him down hinders his vision and prevents him from getting a head of steam...In the second half of the Seahawks game I think Pep started to see the light and ran him in 3-WR sets as a single back he started ripping off good gains and showed the power and burst...We need to quit using power formations unless we are in short yardage situations and that's why we keep getting off to slow starts...It is STUPID to keep TY HILTON off the field in favor of a fullback it just makes us predictable and takes the explosion out of our offense...I guarantee you if Richardson is used the way Edgerrin was used he will start getting the 100 yard games and the YPC will go up...He is an elite back and you will all see that soon if Pep gives up on the "fullback experiment".....We need to run an uptempo offense with the personnel we have PERIOD....It's nice to know we can run the power game when we need it , but to keep TY off the field and stack the box against Richardson makes no sense and only slows us down...It's not that hard to correct and I hope they figure it out in time for Monday night..

I am sick and tired of biting my tongue and seeing all this garbage thrown at Richardson's direction...First off, when we keep running goal line offense when we are nowhere near the goal line and they stack 8 or 9 guys in the box because it's so obvious you could put Adrian Peterson or Bo Jackson back there for that matter, and they are gonna only get 2 yards..He doesn't need a fullback it just slows him down hinders his vision and prevents him from getting a head of steam...In the second half of the Seahawks game I think Pep started to see the light and ran him in 3-WR sets as a single back he started ripping off good gains and showed the power and burst...We need to quit using power formations unless we are in short yardage situations and that's why we keep getting off to slow starts...It is STUPID to keep TY HILTON off the field in favor of a fullback it just makes us predictable and takes the explosion out of our offense...I guarantee you if Richardson is used the way Edgerrin was used he will start getting the 100 yard games and the YPC will go up...He is an elite back and you will all see that soon if Pep gives up on the "fullback experiment".....We need to run an uptempo offense with the personnel we have PERIOD....It's nice to know we can run the power game when we need it , but to keep TY off the field and stack the box against Richardson makes no sense and only slows us down...It's not that hard to correct and I hope they figure it out in time for Monday night..

....elite back...? wow...3.6 per carry..for 1 1/4 years.and its the coaches fault

..he is what he is...

....elite back...? wow...3.6 per carry..for 1 1/4 years.and its the coaches fault

..he is what he is...