Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do You Want Curtis Painter To Be Our Qb After Manning?

theking213

Curtis Painter has played admirably in place of Peyton Manning through 2.5 games

He hasn't been very accurate (48.5% completion) but he has developed a nice connection with Pierre Garcon and has actually produced TD drives where Kerry Collins failed at doing so.

However despite this most Colts fans are still looking at QB prospects in this years draft and next year hoping to scout Mannings future successor.

My question is: Even if Curtis Painter leads us to a couple wins and lights up the field, do you still want the Colts to draft a QB in the upcoming drafts (maybe not this year but before Manning retires)

Does it seem like Painter is being overlooked at possibly being the Colts next franchise Quarterback?

Do you want him as the face of your franchise?

Curtis-Painter-300x200.jpg

No. I am sorry. I watched him and I rooted for him to do better, but I have seen back-ups come in and do a better job imo.

He is getting better, but after three years of "learning the system" and we can't win one game?

Obviously Garcon is his favorite go-to player. Not enough versatility.

Give another player three years to learn the system and I don't see that it could be any worse.

I just don't see him as a starting qb leading a team, although I tried.

Yikes....he's got a heck of alot of bridges to cross before I can seriously accept him as Manning's successor.

That said....we have nothing to lose by starting him for the rest of the season and seeing exactly what he is capable of. At the very least he should develop into a decent backup and not look completely panic-stricken should be called upon in the future.

But I'm not getting my hopes up as far as him starting long-term.

If he plays extremely well for the rest of this season, and if there's any chance Peyton comes back to full strength, Painter will sign somewhere else because someone will pay him too much after missing the QB they wanted in the draft or something.

If he continues to underwhelm, he might stick around as the backup, depending on whether or not we draft a QB. But in that scenario, I don't think there's any chance the front office plans on him being the successor to the throne.

I've been incessantly defending the guy, but I still don't expect him to be the next Colts starter. If Peyton comes back healthy, than I firmly believe that he will play for several more years. Painters already 26. If he ends up showing enough this season to be considered starter material, then he will likely start elsewhere - not wait until he is 30-31 years old.

Of course if heaven forbid Peyton doesn't come back, than who knows what could happen. I'm just happy that it appears that we have an effective backup for once.

First off, good thread topic. Something different at least.

Short answer; NO, I think we can do better, long term. I hope he stays around because he will make a great back-up. He has improved every start, and thats more than I ever expected before the season started.

I hope we take a QB early next year, with the intent of grooming him as Manning's successor. It's time, however, that we keep three QB's active. From there, we'll see.

why is it painter vs luck? they are the only two QB's in 4-5 years?

Actually, dallas clark had 3 drops last week and who knows how many drops pierre had in the past 2 games.

I think if this was luck playing now we would be feeling good about how he's played, if you reverse it. Maybe painter is the next brady ;)

Who said it was Painter vs. Luck? I made no mention of him

People have been looking at other QB prospects other than Luck despite Painter playing decent (using that lightly) seems people want the Colts to draft a QB no matter how Painter plays this year.

But I understand it. I don't see him as a full time starter here. BUT if he plays well I hope some other team signs him.

Edited by theking213

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, October 13, 2011 - Not Cool
Hidden by Coltssouth, October 13, 2011 - Not Cool

Who said it was Painter vs. Luck? I made no mention of him

Because these children seem to want to derail every single god ___ thread with talk about Luck. Even the people that don't want him seem to be obsessed.

* about Luck. If you kids wanna run your mouth about Luck, do it in one of the dozen threads actively spewing on about this issue.

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, October 13, 2011 - Posting reply
Hidden by Coltssouth, October 13, 2011 - Posting reply

Because these children seem to want to derail every single god ___ thread with talk about Luck. Even the people that don't want him seem to be obsessed.

* about Luck. If you kids wanna run your mouth about Luck, do it in one of the dozen threads actively spewing on about this issue.

and you lecture me for saying fool

I made a statement toward a collective behavior that is vandalizing this site. I wonder if some people here realize how childish it is to conjure this college QB's name in every thread. It causes a derailment of the threads topic, and should be considered against the rules. If I have to fracture some egos in an attempt to maintain some semblance of dignity on this forum, than I will do so.

Do you, or do you not, agree that the Luck talk should be confined to the appropriate thread?

EDIT: Sorry, Coltssouth. I believe it is time for some moderation in consideration toward the derailing of threads with the constant injection of Andrew Luck. Some of us are getting ticked about it.

Edited by ruksak

No. I am sorry. I watched him and I rooted for him to do better, but I have seen back-ups come in and do a better job imo.

He is getting better, but after three years of "learning the system" and we can't win one game?

Give another player three years to learn the system and I don't see that it could be any worse.

Not Painter's fault.

Wow... He is not the problem. Curtis gave Indy a 17 pt lead that our D could not hold. Oh and wasn't this D built to play with a lead? Same w TB game?

Sigh....

Wow... He is not the problem. Curtis gave Indy a 17 pt lead that our D could not hold. Oh and wasn't this D built to play with a lead? Same w TB game?

Sigh....

I agree. Painter obviously hasn't learned that he has to score faster than the defense gives the points away.

Answering the OP's question, Curtis improves every game and I like what I see. If he starts every game for the rest of the season and continues to improve, I'd like to see this thread resurrected and see how we answer.

I dont know about franchise but at least hold off on drafting a qb this upcoming draft. I dont think thats the way to go when we need defensive needs first. Painter has improved and shows he can continue to improve. His ability to sense pocket pressure looks better from last week than what it did in the steelers game. So that might also be improving.

This kid can shine and he can win games. We need a Defense to help him to it though. So you know, maybe he can be the next franchise qb after manning and we can build a solid team around him, unlike what we did for manning.

If we can manage to do this then we will have another 10yrs of success and be looking 10yrs from now for another qb instead of next draft!

Not Painter's fault.

I agree. It has been confirmed that Peyton always took every snap in practice. As Painter said in an interview, watching the plays at practice, and being involved in the plays at practice are two completely different things. He has improved tremendously since he has been getting practice. I am anxious to see how he plays in the remainder of the games. Although in his 2 starts we have seen so far I have been very proud of his success, I too feel it is far too early to make this assessment.

I agree with what most people seem to be saying here: Curtis has been doing a great job so far this season, much better than I had expected him to. He definitely wasn't the reason we lost the last 2 games, and put us in a position to win both of them. With that said though, I don't think he's the answer for our team. Not trying to take anything away from him, but let's face it, KC and Tampa aren't the greatest. So like I said, I think he's been doing great for the position he's in, and I'm happy with him as our backup, but he's not the future.

Like someone said previously thats not his fault at all

And what? not enough? clark wasnt catching any balls and wayne is a possesion receiver... the times he went to garcon they were big plays... its just like peyton with marvin then wayne came into the picture.

Not many backups can do a better job either.... The only reason i wouldnt like painter to be a starter for the colts is because he would be old, if he was like maybe 22 or 23 then thatd be cool but he's not.

Not till he can work the seam routes (to Collie and Clark in our case) consistently and get his completion percentage above 60% plus fare better when there are more than 4 rushers in his face, those are the keys that differentiates most starters from backups:

1) Accuracy (completion pct. above 60% consistently)

2) Ability to recognize blitzes and consistently beat them (which would mean around 50 pct. completion vs more than 4 rushers)

3) Work all parts of the field effectively which would include the seams not just the outside

All these need to be evaluated over the course of this year till we can make an assessment. Right now, he is showing he can be a capable back up and I am happy with it :).

Edited by chad72

I don't have a problem with it. Painter has been in the system for a few years but had not gotten any reps. Manning takes all of the snaps in practice, so how do we expect Painter to get better without reps. It is just like getting your drivers license and have never driven then your dad says here is the Caddy now drive. You would wreck because you don't have the experience. So with that being said Painter is the best fit right now for when Peyton retires. Not saying Painter will ever be like Peyton, but he will have some of his traits because he has been around him. Luck isn't the answer, he is a college QB the NFL is totally different. When Peyton came out he had his problems, he threw alot of INT's but he got better. Give Painter the wagon he will hitch it and pull it. Go Colts.

Curtis Painter has played admirably in place of Peyton Manning through 2.5 games

He hasn't been very accurate (48.5% completion) but he has developed a nice connection with Pierre Garcon and has actually produced TD drives where Kerry Collins failed at doing so.

However despite this most Colts fans are still looking at QB prospects in this years draft and next year hoping to scout Mannings future successor.

My question is: Even if Curtis Painter leads us to a couple wins and lights up the field, do you still want the Colts to draft a QB in the upcoming drafts (maybe not this year but before Manning retires)

Does it seem like Painter is being overlooked at possibly being the Colts next franchise Quarterback?

Do you want him as the face of your franchise?

Curtis-Painter-300x200.jpg

The opening sentence of your thesis says it all.

Curtis has played admirably..

we probably need more than 'admirably'

Perhaps if the entire offensive unit would play "admirably", as well as the defense, Painter's "admirable" performance would result in wins?

It is stunningly obvious that he should've started in week 1.

Perhaps if the entire offensive unit would play "admirably", as well as the defense, Painter's "admirable" performance would result in wins?

It is stunningly obvious that he should've started in week 1.

But nobody said that at the time except fro Reggie wayne..and theta was just out of loyalty.

It WASNT obvious then.

But nobody said that at the time except fro Reggie wayne..and theta was just out of loyalty.

It WASNT obvious then.

Not obvious to you or I, but what is the function of the coaching staff in preseason? They are there, in person, evaluating and gauging the talent on the roster and they _____ up. They paid a guy $4 million to waste the first 3 weeks of our season with ineptitude, just to replace him with a QB that was far more effective, already on the roster and much cheaper on the cap.

This mistake doesn't fall onto the opinions of the fans or a veteran wide-out. That is a FO and coaching foul up.

I'm sorry Smitto. I know you like Painter and I am not bashing him. I just don't see him as a starting qb.

I could be wrong (imagine that :) ) but that is my opinion.

I like painter but only because i know he can produce... but i think he can be, with the way he is calling plays at the line of scrimmage and making audibles i like it... and i respect your opinion, always good to read your posts.

He meant to say, Mr. Painter is a god among men.

But to answer the question, no, I don't want him as the face of our franchise. I'd say the same for Caldwell too, but he doesn't have a face.

Edited by ReMeDy