Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dallas D sick of hearing about Peyton

amfootball

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9765543/dallas-cowboys-defense-sick-hearing-peyton-manning-denver-broncos

Stories like these are alway fun. I like Dallas feeling confident but let's see if it translates to the field. If I was them, I would hit Manning's receivers hard and often. Take the penalities if need be but send a message early that it will be physical.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9765543/dallas-cowboys-defense-sick-hearing-peyton-manning-denver-broncos

Stories like these are alway fun. I like Dallas feeling confident but let's see if it translates to the field. If I was them, I would hit Manning's receivers hard and often. Take the penalities if need be but send a message early that it will be physical.

Leaving , just came here for a bit, have u heard Romo playing ref games already about Broncos DB's holding

Tony Romo calls out Broncos' secondary for rough play

These are 2 of many articles I have seen  1st usa today,  tells more of story , but doesnt give all exact quote that I highlighted in article from Denver Wed site the start and ending lines left out in USA today, it does however allude top those lines and has more of a story with it ---  anyway, take care , off to the usual 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/10/02/tony-romo-dallas-cowboys-denver-broncos-secondary/2912851/

It started out complimentary enough.

“They’re good," he said in a conference call. "I think this is as fast a back seven as I’ve seen in some time. They play very good in tight spaces. They do a great job with their hands."

Then he specified what he meant by the defensive backs using their hands.

"They grab, they hold, they almost put a lot of pressure on the refs – whether or not they’re going to call the game close or not," Romo continued. "If they get called once or twice, that’s a good thing. But they’re all over guys as far as using the little tricks, I guess you could say, that good linebackers and good secondaries use when they’re playing man coverage. They haven’t been exposed with a lot of penalties. To me, that’s going to be tough sledding for a lot of teams when you play against teams who are going to be that physical outside. I think we’ll try to do some things to help combat that.”

Leaving , just came here for a bit, have u heard Romo playing ref games already about Broncos DB's holding

Tony Romo calls out Broncos' secondary for rough play

These are 2 of many articles I have seen  1st usa today,  tells more of story , but doesnt give all exact quote that I highlighted in article from Denver Wed site the start and ending lines left out in USA today, it does however allude top those lines and has more of a story with it ---  anyway, take care , off to the usual 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2013/10/02/tony-romo-dallas-cowboys-denver-broncos-secondary/2912851/

It started out complimentary enough.

“They’re good," he said in a conference call. "I think this is as fast a back seven as I’ve seen in some time. They play very good in tight spaces. They do a great job with their hands."

Then he specified what he meant by the defensive backs using their hands.

"They grab, they hold, they almost put a lot of pressure on the refs – whether or not they’re going to call the game close or not," Romo continued. "If they get called once or twice, that’s a good thing. But they’re all over guys as far as using the little tricks, I guess you could say, that good linebackers and good secondaries use when they’re playing man coverage. They haven’t been exposed with a lot of penalties. To me, that’s going to be tough sledding for a lot of teams when you play against teams who are going to be that physical outside. I think we’ll try to do some things to help combat that.”

Dallas' is looking for any edge they can get. Smart. Just don't don't think it will be enough. Better see very good Romo on Sunday and not bad Romo. Not even for a quarter or else it will be a blow out.

Dallas' is looking for any edge they can get. Smart. Just don't don't think it will be enough. Better see very good Romo on Sunday and not bad Romo. Not even for a quarter or else it will be a blow out.

Leaving , heard e0mail come in , 1 last 1 & I aam out door, basically same, this was first i had seen as thats whetre I got playing ref games from in 1st reply, best of luck Sunday, Thats Pats , Colts Luck, & Peyton

Tony Romo begins working the refs in advance of the Cowboys’ game against Denver

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/tony-romo-begins-working-refs-advance-cowboys-game-130527456--nfl.html

Broncos are becoming the villains of the NFL. No one wants to be 40 or 50 burgered. Regardless this team has not been tested nor have they played in bad weather. September means nothing. November and December will tell us all I need to know

Broncos are becoming the villains of the NFL. No one wants to be 40 or 50 burgered. Regardless this team has not been tested nor have they played in bad weather. September means nothing. November and December will tell us all I need to know

The misconception is Denver has bad weather in Nov. and Dec. Not really. The snows normally melt overnight because the sun and the temp. normally is around freezing at night. West of Denver where the altitudes get higher is where is gets bad but not in Denver. Welker is used to playing in worse weather conditions outside of Boston. Chicago, Green Bay Cleveland, Pittsburg, New York and Boston on average has worse weather than Denver. I have seen colder games played in Cincy also. 

The misconception is Denver has bad weather in Nov. and Dec. Not really. The snows normally melt overnight because the sun and the temp. normally is around freezing at night. West of Denver where the altitudes get higher is where is gets bad but not in Denver. Welker is used to playing in worse weather conditions outside of Boston. Chicago, Green Bay Cleveland, Pittsburg, New York and Boston on average has worse weather than Denver. I have seen colder games played in Cincy also.

Not what i meant. There gonna play other places besides Denver when it gets cold so we'll see how well the offense functions then. Their running game won't carry them

No.. it doesnt matter they are obliterating every team they come across and breaking records left and right.. 

Your correct. September didnt mean anything for them.. Is this a joke?  :thinking:

The Cowboys need to just shut up and put their mouth where the money is out on the field. Trash Talk is just that, Trash. It belongs in a trailer park down by the river.  :lecture:

Dallas Cowboys LB Ernie Sims: ‘I’m sick of hearing about Peyton Manning’

By Rainer Sabin

rsabin@dallasnews.com

4:48 pm on October 3, 2013 | Permalink

IRVING — Peyton Manning is one of the NFL’s greatest quarterbacks and he’s playing at a particularly high level this season. The Cowboys are well aware of Manning’s accomplishments and have been asked about them throughout the week. But at least one player, linebacker, Ernie Sims is tired of all the Manning talk.

“I’m sick of hearing about Peyton Manning,” said Sims, who is expected to start Sunday at weakside linebacker in place of Bruce Carter. “We just got to go out there and do what we’ve got to do.”

Sims says Manning’s name isn’t just being mentioned by the media. Head coach Jason Garrett has pointed out Manning’s exploits and he’s obviously been a major topic of discussion in the position group meetings.

“You hear it all the time when a guy walks into the locker room: ‘Peyton Manning threw for four touchdowns, this and that,’” Sims said. “Yeah, he’s a great player. You can’t take that away from him. But at the end of the day, we’re all competitors. And me being a competitor, I don’t like that. I am ready to play football.”

So is defensive tackle Jason Hatcher.

“We’re looking forward to the challenge,” he said. “We’re really pumped up to play against this guy. He can be beat. But at the same time, you have to respect a guy like that. He’s probably one of the best. When he leaves this game, he’ll be the greatest who ever did it, so of course you respect him, you see what he does week in and week out. we have our work cut out for us. We’re excited about the challenge. I know I am. I enjoy playing against a guy like that.“

as long as Seattle is around..Denver will ntk eb the villans of the NFL

They can hit the receivers and draw penalties all they want...

If they don't hit Peyton, they will lose...

Dallas will send a message..and the message will be....we're 2-3

who exactly is Ernie Sims and why is he a backup?

a past Colt my friend, a past Colt & yes if not for article below i forgot too

apparently   started over Carter in 1st game then  but got injured   groin  for 2nd time since , did1st in TC

article below explains

He is a Weak side LB

EXCERPTS

Whatever the Cowboys’ coaching staff is planning for Denver, Ernie Sims said he’s preparing for the Broncos as a starter at linebacker.

“Right now the coaches got me, they got me starting right now

Sims entered last week’s loss to San Diego, primarily as a nickel linebacker, after starter Bruce Carter surrendered two receiving touchdowns to Chargers running back Danny Woodhead

. Sims, who signed with the team during the 2012 season, said he was happy with his performance given the circumstances.

Sims said he is currently practicing as the starter in both the Cowboys’ base and nickel formations. It remains to be seen how that will play out as the week continues.

“We’re still looking,” said defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin. “Bruce is still playing and stuff like that. We’re going to need everybody.”

Cowboys coaches, including Jason Garrett and Kiffin, were adamant that Carter was not benched for his poor play in San Diego. But with the Broncos sure to feature plenty of three and four receiver formations, it appears Sims has a chance for plenty of playing time.

If Sims were to start, it would be his first starting action since he filled in when Sean Lee was injured in October of last season

. The veteran started 56 games for Detroit from 2006-09, and he made another 25 starts between 2010-12 for the Eagles, Colts and Cowboys.

It seemed Sims had a chance to take a starting spot during training camp this past summer, before a groin injury sidelined him. He re-aggravated the same problem following the season opener, forcing him to miss two games before entering for Carter against the Chargers.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-DavidHelman/Sims-Working-As--Starter-As-Cowboys-Prepare-For-Broncos/b6280d47-3e5d-4b92-95e7-e68cacb8aab7

They can hit the receivers and draw penalties all they want...

If they don't hit Peyton, they will lose...

Dallas will send a message..and the message will be....we're 2-3

They have no prayer of getting to Manning with the rules and all. Better off chipping his receivers and hitting them hard when they get the ball.

I don't think beating up Wes Welker after the catch works...its been tried..

..and good luck beating up Demariyus Thomas after he gets the ball

You have to sell out to get to the QB

..but it truth..neither philosophy has worked so far

Dallas will be loud and proud //but if they don't score 35 points, they'll be 2-3

as long as Seattle is around..Denver will ntk eb the villans of the NFL

Seattle are the villains of the NFC, Broncos of the AFC. Though I get the feeling that many are rooting for Seattle due to the massive turnaround they have had in recent years. Denver, though, dominates the headlines and has been known for beating up on teams dating back to last year and that first seven-touchdown game didn't help their perception I think.

It's hard to be physical with receivers when you play mostly zone defense. 

Not really. Zone allows you to close on the ball fast and lay the hit on the receiver. I also think Demarcus Ware is key. This new 4-3 scheme is allowing him to be a beast off the edge. He needs to get some pressure on Manning to force some hurried throws.

Not really. Zone allows you to close on the ball fast and lay the hit on the receiver. I also think Demarcus Ware is key. This new 4-3 scheme is allowing him to be a beast off the edge. He needs to get some pressure on Manning to force some hurried throws.

So your answer is to hit the receivers hard after they catch the ball? I don't understand how that reduces their effectiveness. I think that mentality and approach would lead to defensive penalties, as a matter of fact.

I thought you were saying be physical with the receivers off the line, re-route them, slow them down and throw off Manning's timing. I think that would help, but it won't be entirely effective if you don't get pressure up the middle. And it's hard to do those things -- manhandle receivers off the line -- when you're playing a base Cover 2.

Also, with the weapons the Broncos have, it's not that difficult to change alignments -- motion, stacks, bunch, etc. -- to help your receivers get a clean release. Then any contact outside of five yards is getting flagged.

Ware is a monster, no matter what. But he can't answer the question by himself. He's an edge rusher, and he has to come from further away, the Broncos can chip him and change his rushing angles, and Manning can climb the pocket. He'll affect the game tremendously, but there are simple counters to great edge rushers. Again, I think the key is getting pressure up the middle, and being disciplined and patient in coverage.

I'm very interested in this, because the Broncos come to Indy in a month. But I don't think the answer to slowing them down is to rough up the receivers. And I definitely don't think the Cowboys play a scheme that lends itself to that.

Pats used to succeed against Manning by attacking his receivers physically in the earlier years, but this drew attention especially when Colts manager Bill Polian brought it up at the competition committee meetings, which resulted changes of pass-interference rules. Another thing is Denver's wideouts are way bigger and more physical than the likes of Harrison and Wayne. It will be hard to attack them anyway.

Pats used to succeed against Manning by attacking his receivers physically in the earlier years, but this drew attention especially when Colts manager Bill Polian brought it up at the competition committee meetings, which resulted changes of pass-interference rules. Another thing is Denver's wideouts are way bigger and more physical than the likes of Harrison and Wayne. It will be hard to attack them anyway.

Just to be a stickler, the defensive holding was always a rule. Polian's complaint resulted in an increased focus on the rule. It didn't change the rule.

Like you say, it's harder to get physical with Decker and Thomas than it would be with Wayne and Harrison, and on top of that, the refs won't allow you to mug receivers like that anymore.

I'm very interested in this, because the Broncos come to Indy in a month. But I don't think the answer to slowing them down is to rough up the receivers. And I definitely don't think the Cowboys play a scheme that lends itself to that.

Indy has the scheme to attack Peyton better than the Cowboys, IMO. However, the Cowboys' LBs are more active. They tend to cheat to the inside wideout more often and squeeze the zones well by doing that when they play disciplined. Plus, when the 2007 Pats played the 2007 Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium, the Colts played the same Cover 2 concepts and Brackett got an INT off Brady and Bethea got one too. Pats fans were "deep down" livid that the Pats could not blow out the Colts when they won 24-20 despite having a hot year till that point. So, being patient vs the Cowboys, taking the run when it presents itself will be a big part of the Broncos' strategy.

You know the Cover 2 beater throws (over the MLB and under the safety is one, the one Eli threw to Manningham at the SB is another keeping one safety committed to a side before letting go to the sideline between CB and safety), I expect some of those to be thrown vs the Cowboys. Sean Lee is athletic enough to tip passes over his head and drop his depth a tad more to cause issues there. Ogletree got an INT on a ball thrown to Julius Thomas in pre-season down the middle, primarily because Peyton did not have a gauge on how athletic Ogletree was. The element of surprise will not be there with Sean Lee this time like the 2010 game. Plus, their safeties and coverage LBs can tend to come off the guy on the outside running the route to squeeze the zone. They were caught cheating enough times this year, and Eli send one past their heads to Cruz plus Rivers sent one past them to Gates for the game winning TD. If I can see those tendencies, Peyton definitely can. :)

Plus, the two pick sixes vs the Cowboys at Lucas Oil Stadium happened when Blair White did not space himself out well and another one where Tamme did not do so. Peyton is not playing with backups this time, big difference in spatial awareness of his wideouts. Ironically, the 2007 Pats went into Dallas and smoked them, didn't they? One can see similarities in schedule and production of offense with the 2013 Broncos too. Like the Pats of 2007, they will be coming to Dallas and Indy too for road games :).

Beat the Rams doing that too! It was even more prevelant in how Harrison got away with a lot on the TEs actually more so than the receivers...but mainly it ruined the timing which is so much of what Peyton does.

Dallas will have their chance....they can do something about it on the field. I will say the whole league is probably sick of hearing it. I know Ray Lewis is...he gets visiably upset when everyone starts talking about Manning on those shows and he wants to change the subject. I have to admit...I'm kinda sick of hearing it too...I mean Peyton Manning is my favorite player of all time but I don't want to hear about it 7 days a week. On Sunday...during or just before and after the game...fine...rest of the week...give it a rest. He isn't some type of god out there...he is just a man...and playing very very well but its a team sport and there are plenty of other story lines in KC,NE,NO, SEA and here in Indy too.

Beat the Rams doing that too! It was even more prevelant in how Harrison got away with a lot on the TEs actually more so than the receivers...but mainly it ruined the timing which is so much of what Peyton does.

Dallas will have their chance....they can do something about it on the field. I will say the whole league is probably sick of hearing it. I know Ray Lewis is...he gets visiably upset when everyone starts talking about Manning on those shows and he wants to change the subject. I have to admit...I'm kinda sick of hearing it too...I mean Peyton Manning is my favorite player of all time but I don't want to hear about it 7 days a week. On Sunday...during or just before and after the game...fine...rest of the week...give it a rest. He isn't some type of god out there...he is just a man...and playing very very well but its a team sport and there are plenty of other story lines in KC,NE,NO, SEA and here in Indy too.

Yep. When the shoe is on the other foot, we realize what incessant Peyton talk can do to us. :)

Yep. When the shoe is on the other foot, we realize what incessant Peyton talk can do to us. :)

Still my favorite player but man I don't blame Dallas for being sick of it....in the long run it usually backfires into creating envy or hatred of the guy....remember a guy named Tim Tebow?? Did absolutely nothing wrong but the media created a huge wave of hate towards him....wonder what ever happened to the kid?

Okay, SW1 needs to address the pink elephant in the room: How can African American reporter named Calvin Watkins use the expression "Boys" to address his Dallas teammates?

Yes, I realize it's short for Cowboys & the team site segment, but would a white reporter be allowed to use the term "boys" when speaking to players in the locker room many of whom happen to be African American themselves? "Boys" the expression has a negative connotation throughout American History etc. etc. 

The use of language & how it gets used, accidentally or otherwise, is very important to me...equality & fairness...etc...

Just to be a stickler, the defensive holding was always a rule. Polian's complaint resulted in an increased focus on the rule. It didn't change the rule.

Like you say, it's harder to get physical with Decker and Thomas than it would be with Wayne and Harrison, and on top of that, the refs won't allow you to mug receivers like that anymore.

It was changed from a no contact rule after 10 yards to 5 yards I believe.

So your answer is to hit the receivers hard after they catch the ball? I don't understand how that reduces their effectiveness. I think that mentality and approach would lead to defensive penalties, as a matter of fact.

I thought you were saying be physical with the receivers off the line, re-route them, slow them down and throw off Manning's timing. I think that would help, but it won't be entirely effective if you don't get pressure up the middle. And it's hard to do those things -- manhandle receivers off the line -- when you're playing a base Cover 2.

Also, with the weapons the Broncos have, it's not that difficult to change alignments -- motion, stacks, bunch, etc. -- to help your receivers get a clean release. Then any contact outside of five yards is getting flagged.

Ware is a monster, no matter what. But he can't answer the question by himself. He's an edge rusher, and he has to come from further away, the Broncos can chip him and change his rushing angles, and Manning can climb the pocket. He'll affect the game tremendously, but there are simple counters to great edge rushers. Again, I think the key is getting pressure up the middle, and being disciplined and patient in coverage.

My thought was do to them what the Ravens did the Pats this past post-season. Every time a receiver got the ball they laid the wood. Pollard practically knocked Welker's teeth out on a catch at mid-field on the drive in the third quarter where he then dropped the pass right in his hands for the first down inside the 25. I think that hit had him both rattled and thinking.

I don't think the Cowboys stay in the cover 2 all game. If they do some man then pressing the receivers would be smart but I agree about pressuring Manning up the middle. I think Ware will have to be huge in this game as a disruptor for the Boys to slow down the offense and Manning's timing. Hurrying Manning is as good as a sack given the offense is predicated so much on timing.

Another big factor will be Murray. He has to get over 125 yards this game and clock control. If Dallas' time possession is not 35 minutes or better then they are toast. They have to ball control which I think they can do to limit Manning's possessions.

Lastly, Holiday can't go wild in this game. No easy TDs. Basically Cowboys have to play a perfect game. lol. I am looking forward to it!

space_ghost_facepalm.jpg

Thank you for such a meaningful contribution SDS. You can object to my question that is your constitutional right & freedom of choice sir. But, a face palm cartoon does nothing to move debate along or add anything meaningful. JMO. 

You want to imply that I am a fool? Fine. You think that I am blowing something way out of context? Fine. It just bothers me when people dismiss something with a cartoon that adds nothing of substance. Tell me why you object to it. Where in your mind do I go wrong & why? That sparks discussion & leads to real insight. 

That's the difference between me & most people. I wanna know what you think & why because I might learn something worthwhile from your perspective that I had not contemplated before & by the same token, you might learn something provocative from me. Brushing a matter under the rug solves nothing. It's too easy to be dismissive & call someone a fool. 

If sports are often used to spark a larger cultural discussion about society, why not here & now? Yes, disagreements will always happen & there are times when 2 people will never see eye to eye, but that doesn't mean my question is outlandish. You can disagree with my conclusions if necessary, but not the question based on individual personal experiences in my own life & friends that I know. 

It was soon changed thereafter I believe.

You should take care to read the article. He talks about how the rule was somewhat contradictory, so they changed the language. And the old language is included in the article. It was always five yards, had been since 1994.