Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Now you know how important Richardson was

Colt-in-Jax

So you're saying our front office believes that money is more important than the safety of our franchise QB & the production of the team?

I don't care how much we're paying someone. You either got it or lack it, & Satele lacks it

Its not all been on the O Line, I dont know how you could put it into raw numbers but the hit/sack ratio because of the O Line or Luck hanging onto the ball to long is very close and might even be tipped on the O Lines favor....there is no doubt several of the hits he takes are on Luck himself

Bradshaw and Richardson were two excellent signings... We did give up a 1st for Richardson, but we have him on the cheap now with regard to the salary cap. The kid can flat out make people miss and he can flatten people out. He can catch passes and block for #12 pretty well for a 2nd year guy. More familiarity with the playbook will help as the season goes on... I just hope that the O-Line can continue to run block as well as they did last week.

Bradshaw is a bargain, too...as long as he doesn't miss too much time this season. I think we got him so cheaply because he was hobbled a bit at the time. He is a complete player... If these are the type of guys that Pep wants to run his scheme, I'm all for it. Hard-nosed pass pro beasts with hands... We have a ton of versatile players at skill positions when you think about it, although injuries have limited or taken out a few of them.

I wouldn't say Richardson is "important". If our offensive line could learn how to block every game like they did in the 49ers game wouldn't matter who's running the ball. People put too much into RB's. They're only as good as their offensive line. Unless their name is Barry Sanders

But to call the Richardson trade important is a bit far fetched

I agree with the original poster and so does Chuck Pagano; therefore, he commented on this exact situation when we traded for T-Rich. Pagano understands that when you want to run the  ball that "you can never have enough backs". They get hurt.

I think the any rb can run behind a good line is hogwash. And Donald brown is far from fine. He dances around in the back field to much. He goes down like two hand touch. And he whiffs on blocks. More so last year and before. He has looked better this year. But I think a better rb will produce more behind that same good line.

Oh yeah, and give me Bo Jackson anyday!

I agree and your thoughts and mine seem to get lost in the big picture by too many people. 

Donald Brown is not an every down back. That said; I would like for us to re-sign him at a reasonable price. He is worth a million a year for this team, because he has the ability to be the home run hitter in the 4th quarter. He has the speed to come into a game late and absolutely put it away with a long run. I don't believe he will ever be the kind of back that can carry the load for 16 games a season. I view Donald as more of a Kevin Faulk type of player, and those players are important too.

I hope we can lock all three backs up for the long haul.

The Richardson trade is very important, IMO,  because it told the team that the owner/GM/head coach all believe in them and believe that this is a playoff caliber team.

The Colts played with great energy against the 49ers.   They played like a team on a mission, and with purpose.    I attribute that directly to the Richardson trade.

It's always important who the running back is,  not only when it's Barry Sanders.    Not all backs are created equal....

I am absolutely on the same page with you. The locker room was fired up when we made the trade; especially the offensive line. Offensive linemen love to run block and the ownership made a strong commitment to running the ball. 

Also, Drew is not a needy quarterback, who has to see his name at the top of the stats. He wants to win, and this is how they won games at Stanford too. This makes it easier to commit to running the football.

I agree and your thoughts and mine seem to get lost in the big picture by too many people. 

Donald Brown is not an every down back. That said; I would like for us to re-sign him at a reasonable price. He is worth a million a year for this team, because he has the ability to be the home run hitter in the 4th quarter. He has the speed to come into a game late and absolutely put it away with a long run. I don't believe he will ever be the kind of back that can carry the load for 16 games a season. I view Donald as more of a Kevin Faulk type of player, and those players are important too.

I hope we can lock all three backs up for the long haul.

Richadson, contract wise is locked up for awhile now, with over half of the entire deal already paid by Cleveland, making him incredibly easy on cap space. Donald Brown will likely get resigned as a depth guy on the lower end of the veteran paygrade scale. So you've got young talents in Vick Ballard and Trent Richardson locked up, with a veteran depth guy in Donald Brown as your backup. Ahmad Bradshaw likely won't be resigned as there isn't a great deal of wisdom in carrying that many high end RB's on a modern NFL roster, usually you just want your 2 guys and a backup. That said, if Bradshaw wants to deal and deal low, we've got cap room, and I'm sure Grigson would rather have him than Brown.

If he has a bulging dick in his neck I think He has much bigger problems than we realized haha!!

Pagano said the injury was significant and I am assuming people are thinking the worst. It is a neck issue. He ran very hard Sunday and left it all on the field.

I believe it was as serious as Peyton's injury then we would have put him on IR. So the Colts are either playing it day-by-day or they believe he will be back this year. 

Richadson, contract wise is locked up for awhile now, with over half of the entire deal already paid by Cleveland, making him incredibly easy on cap space. Donald Brown will likely get resigned as a depth guy on the lower end of the veteran paygrade scale. So you've got young talents in Vick Ballard and Trent Richardson locked up, with a veteran depth guy in Donald Brown as your backup. Ahmad Bradshaw likely won't be resigned as there isn't a great deal of wisdom in carrying that many high end RB's on a modern NFL roster, usually you just want your 2 guys and a backup. That said, if Bradshaw wants to deal and deal low, we've got cap room, and I'm sure Grigson would rather have him than Brown.

We all know about Richardson's deal. My point was that I would like to see us roll with these same three backs for the long haul. We will need to re-sign Bradshaw and Brown at the end of the year to make that happen. 

Running backs don't always completely recover form knee injuries. Usually they lose a step or two. Look at Edgerrin, he was a speed back, but lost speed and turned into a power back after the injury.

We don't know how serious the injury is with Bradshaw yet. I like our options moving forward.  

Usually guys like Brown do not end up resigning with the same team.  The Colts , if they want to spend 730K on him next year, will offer that , the minimum salary. More often than not , players offered the minimum NFL salary will test the market and see if another team values them a bit more. Usually when they test the open market , they sign elsewhere... even if the money was the same.

Usually guys like Brown do not end up resigning with the same team.  The Colts , if they want to spend 730K on him next year, will offer that , the minimum salary. More often than not , players offered the minimum NFL salary will test the market and see if another team values them a bit more. Usually when they test the open market , they sign elsewhere... even if the money was the same.

He wont be offered vet minimum. He's too important as a depth guy to the roster.

I wouldn't say Richardson is "important". If our offensive line could learn how to block every game like they did in the 49ers game wouldn't matter who's running the ball. People put too much into RB's. They're only as good as their offensive line. Unless their name is Barry Sanders

But to call the Richardson trade important is a bit far fetched

At the very least he's important for depth. I'd rather have Trent than Carter or some other FA RB.

With the present injury situation, this looks like a great move.

But to be worth the pick we gave up he needs to bring the numbers!

By that I mean 20+ carries and 100+ yards week in and week out.

We will see if he can do that consistently.

Do that makes Brown what? Heh

Do that makes Brown what? Heh

GD Brown is what he is, we all wish he was more...

I'd just like to see some of these "Home Runs" he is supposed to be able to hit!

He better bring it soon or he ain't gonna be making big money on Sunday no more.

edit: double negative intended

Richardson has not proven to be a threat running the ball yet in the NFL, Teams have not stacked the box against him alot, some yes, alot no. I get he ran for 950 yards his rookie year but it took him 267 carries to do it, Doug Martin ran for 1454 yards his rookie year with only 52 more carries  with Nicks(thats 500 more yards then Richardson  on only 52 carries) playing only 7 games and Joseph out all season last year, Richardson just being in the backfield wont take pressure off Luck, Martin and Lynch both have much better vision and decision making then Richardson at this point

okay martin is the only example you should have given, seeing that he was a rookie, that being said you can not compare lynch to richardson. it is unfair to richardson given the fact that Lynch has been in the league a lot longer then richardson. not to mention Lynch had a better QB who was more of a threat in running the ball then Weeden was in cleveland. teams had to prepare for both Lynch and Wilson in the run game and the seahawks have a  heck of a lot better offensive line. yes richardson has a issue that needs to be fixed when it comes to vision on the field but it is only his 2nd year in the NFL. not a whole lot of RB's come in and start off running for 1,000+ yards a season. heck it has taken the colts to bring in bradshaw, ballard, and Richardson in order to get Brown to start running the ball better and he was a first round pick 4 years ago. says something about your offensive line when you havent had a 1,000 yard back since Addai. a guy i dont even think is in the league anymore. 

all i am saying is alot of people need to give richardson a chance with this being only his 2nd season. 

okay martin is the only example you should have given, seeing that he was a rookie, that being said you can not compare lynch to richardson. it is unfair to richardson given the fact that Lynch has been in the league a lot longer then richardson. not to mention Lynch had a better QB who was more of a threat in running the ball then Weeden was in cleveland. teams had to prepare for both Lynch and Wilson in the run game and the seahawks have a  heck of a lot better offensive line. yes richardson has a issue that needs to be fixed when it comes to vision on the field but it is only his 2nd year in the NFL. not a whole lot of RB's come in and start off running for 1,000+ yards a season. heck it has taken the colts to bring in bradshaw, ballard, and Richardson in order to get Brown to start running the ball better and he was a first round pick 4 years ago. says something about your offensive line when you havent had a 1,000 yard back since Addai. a guy i dont even think is in the league anymore. 

all i am saying is alot of people need to give richardson a chance with this being only his 2nd season. 

Oh Im not writing him off, I think if Ballard comes back 100 percent he and Richardson will make a good tandem, Im also hoping we resign Bradshaw but I dont think thats likely,

yeah he woke up Brown.

In all seriousness I think Brown is for the first time being used correctly here.  You put the big bruising backs in and let them pound on the other defense for a while and then hit them with Brown's speed.  I'd be okay with keeping Brown after this season (he's not going to demand a major contract) if he keeps producing like he has the past couple of weeks. 

yeah he woke up Brown.

In all seriousness I think Brown is for the first time being used correctly here.  You put the big bruising backs in and let them pound on the other defense for a while and then hit them with Brown's speed.  I'd be okay with keeping Brown after this season (he's not going to demand a major contract) if he keeps producing like he has the past couple of weeks. 

Yeah, they should probably give Brown a good share if the carries...like 35-40 percent.

yeah he woke up Brown.

In all seriousness I think Brown is for the first time being used correctly here. You put the big bruising backs in and let them pound on the other defense for a while and then hit them with Brown's speed. I'd be okay with keeping Brown after this season (he's not going to demand a major contract) if he keeps producing like he has the past couple of weeks.

I like the way the used him today. Even against Francis. Pound them with Bradshaw and Richardson then quick draw or run from brown. That's the very definition of change of pace.

I like the way the used him today. Even against Francis. Pound them with Bradshaw and Richardson then quick draw or run from brown. That's the very definition of change of pace.

There is a bit of a difference between Richardson and Bradshaw...

Richardson pounds for a sub 3-yard average, but Bradshaw hits the holes and creases and gains good yardage.

There is a bit of a difference between Richardson and Bradshaw...

Richardson pounds for a sub 3-yard average, but Bradshaw hits the holes and creases and gains good yardage.

This is what some don't understand. Learning the playbook won't teach you How to hit the holes like a beast. If there is no hole ,than make one!

This is what some don't understand. Learning the playbook won't teach you How to hit the holes like a beast. If there is no hole ,than make one!

He needs some serious coaching on his running style...he runs wayyyyy too upright for the NFL...he needs to run lower and more behind his pads.  Also, he seems to linger a while waiting for a hole to open...he needs to get to the hole faster, make that one cut and get upfield.  Maybe this will come with coaching and practice...but the RB coaches better start spending a LOT of time with this guy...they need to adjust his running style and practice it.

Richard had been running on obvious running downs and grinding out yards. It's also still his second game. How'd Bradshaw look his first two games?

41 carries 2 td's 186 yards 4.5 ypc

Richardson 33 for 95 yards 2.8 ypc

Since both have been Colts

41 carries 2 td's 186 yards 4.5 ypc

Richardson 33 for 95 yards 2.8 ypc

Since both have been Colts

Trent 1 1/2 weeks in system

Brown since off season (new system for him as well)

About time Brown shows something. How many years has it been? I bet you make him out primary back that all changes though. And that's my point. He has been doing well as a change of pace back but let's not get carried away saying he's some top back or something.

Trent 1 1/2 weeks in system

Brown since off season (new system for him as well)

About time Brown shows something. How many years has it been? I bet you make him out primary back that all changes though. And that's my point. He has been doing well as a change of pace back but let's not get carried away saying he's some top back or something.

I was talking about Richardson and Bradshaw...Browns advertising his talents for other teams that will look to pick up a solid change of pace back Im sure

I was talking about Richardson and Bradshaw...Browns advertising his talents for other teams that will look to pick up a solid change of pace back Im sure

Oh gotcha. Sorry my bad. Yeah, Bradshaw looked rusty during the Raiders game. Looked better in the dolphins game and just exploded in the San Fran game. He needs to be the starter with Trent splitting carries or either way. As long as Bradshaw gets his carries and ride the hot hand.

He has played in 84 of 96 games since coming into the NFL...tomorrow will be his 13th game missed, Edgerrin James had missed 12 games by his 4th year in the league, The number of games Bradshaw has missed is overblown especially when you consider that no one complains about Edges injury history, Lets not forget Bradshaw was a backup to Brandon Jacobs to for a stretch

Somewhat true, but he was always nicked up.  Edgerrin is a poor example, we all know he destroyed his knee against KC and missed a huge sequential chunk of games from that one single injury.  James regularly started 16 games and regularly carried more then 300 times a season, something Bradshaw has not ever done in his entire career.

Bradshaw (as I've said repeatedly) is a very tough player.  He played through injuries in New York that would sideline most players.  

But.

He was constantly fighting injuries.  It's obvious if you followed teams in the NFC east.  It's obvious if you google news about his injuries.  It's even plainly obvious from the stat sheet and box scores from his time in New York.  This in spite of not carrying the load for his team. 

It's also a large part of why it was so easy to get him so late in the free agent signing period.  Which is great for the Colts because he's a hell of a player.

Somewhat true, but he was always nicked up.  Edgerrin is a poor example, we all know he destroyed his knee against KC and missed a huge sequential chunk of games from that one single injury.  James regularly started 16 games and regularly carried more then 300 times a season, something Bradshaw has not ever done in his entire career.

Bradshaw (as I've said repeatedly) is a very tough player.  He played through injuries in New York that would sideline most players.  

But.

He was constantly fighting injuries.  It's obvious if you followed teams in the NFC east.  It's obvious if you google news about his injuries.  It's even plainly obvious from the stat sheet and box scores from his time in New York.  This in spite of not carrying the load for his team. 

It's also a large part of why it was so easy to get him so late in the free agent signing period.  Which is great for the Colts because he's a heck of a player.

He played in 16 games his entire career 5 times out of 10 years in the league, thats not regularly, Thats more times then Bradshaw but Bradshaw has only been a starter since 2010, I dont think its smart to have him carry the load anymore though. He is best used in a system like we have now