Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You never spend a No.1 on a running back, remember?

oldunclemark

I know this is a message broad and we all go back on what we say.

We're all right and we're all wrong. Sometimes we go back on what we previously said.

But during the draft, I don't remember ANYONE here who didnt agree that you simply do not spend a No.1 pick on a running back in today's NFL. Many insisted that was true and that anyone who disagreed just wasn't knowledgable.

WHY??

1.) Because Its a passing league. To win, you get there by throwing the ball.

2.) Running backs don't last very long. The effective playing career is short. That's the position.

They all get hurt. They all have knee injuries.

3. You can always get a quality back in rounds two or three. No.1s are for other key positions...

But when our Colts spend a No.1 on a running back who has had some injuries...

Even though we just acquired a quality guy (albeit with injury concerns) we forget about all the things we previously said.

I hope the tandem of Bradshaw and Richardson works...the way our coaches suggest it will.

Many of you have heard me say that I want to make the playoffs EVERY year..even while we're rebuilding

But what about everything we previously said about 1st round RBs? Did we flip on all of that because we're Colts fans???

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're all right and we're all wrong. Sometimes we go back on what we previously said.

But during the draft, I don't remember ANYONE here who didnt agree that you simply do not spend a No.1 pick on a running back in today's NFL. Many insisted that was true and that anyone who disagreed just wasn't knowledgable.

WHY??

2.) Running backs don't last very long. The effective playing career is short. That's the position.

3. You can always get a quality back in rounds two or three. No.1s are for other key positions...

Even though we just acquired a quality guy (albeit with injury concerns) we forget about all the things we previously said.

I hope the tandem of Bradshaw and Richardson works...the way our coaches suggest it will.

Many of you have heard me say that I want to make the playoffs EVERY year..even while we're rebuilding

But what about everything we previously said about 1st round RBs? Did we flip on all of that because we're Colts fans???

what back was worthy of a first round pick last year? It is different from year to year. No one in last years draft had Richardsons talent.

WHY??

I think your position is flawed.  I think the position of most fans is that there's not value in taking a RB #1 in the draft.  If there's a talented RB they go early.  If there's a less talented RB, they go later in the first.  At no point does the talent match the value in the draft.

But this scenario may be such that we actually could get  an early-draft talented RB for a later draft pick.  At that point, talent can match the value in an artificial setting of two teams dealing with each other rather than the entire NFL.

I think your position is flawed.  I think the position of most fans is that there's not value in taking a RB #1 in the draft.  If there's a talented RB they go early.  If there's a less talented RB, they go later in the first.  At no point does the talent match the value in the draft.

But this scenario may be such that we actually could get  an early-draft talented RB for a later draft pick.  At that point, talent can match the value in an artificial setting of two teams dealing with each other rather than the entire NFL.

NOPE....SORRY....I remember the debate....we all do..

RBs are a dime a dozen, we said..

The all go down we said. You can get quality in the 2nd or 3rd round..LTs, QBs, shutdown corners got in the 1st round.

Can we just admit we're total hypocrites..

or to put it more kindly.....fans!

WHY??

Just because you agreed to that statement does not make everyone agree. I am not we so your comment does not include all of we. 

The all go down we said. You can get quality in the 2nd or 3rd round..LTs, QBs, shutdown corners got in the 1st round.

But the conversation was DRAFTING a RB in the first round...which we didn't.

I think that elite RB talent is always worth a first round pick and I think that this whole "RBs are a dime a dozen" mentality is merely the latest in fashion, flavor of the week attitude.

Great RBs are difference makers that defenses have to scheme to contain.  Ergo, great RBs open up offenses.  The threat of balance is and always will be vitally important to offensive success.  Accordingly, great RBs, like all great players regardless of position, will always be in demand and such a difference maker will always be worth a first round pick.

That's my humble opinion.

Still a No,1 .....D4U....remember what we said???

I never make the comment that a RB should never be picked in the 1st round. So don't include me in your we discussion. 

WHY??

We spent a 1st round pick on Edge and on Addai. It's not without precedent.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Hey guys call me out on this if you want to...but I really think the "don't take a RB in the first round" is completely overblown.  I get it's a passing league and it's all about the Qb.  But how many teams have an elite qb and rb?  The Seahawks? 49ers? Anybody see my point?

Usually you don't pick RB in the first Rd because it's 50/50 they will pan out.

Trent Richardson has proven his worth last year thus he is worth a 1st Rd pick

I think thats what everyone doesn't understand on this message board. A rookie coming into the league hasn't proved anything yet. Trent has.

Just because it is a passing league doesn't mean you don't need quality at RB. Normally speaking, yes, you should wait to draft a RB in the 3rd round or later. But, T-Rich is not your average RB. He is young, strong, and plays a physical game that fits the type of team that Grigson and Pagano are trying to build. He had a good rookie season with Cleveland, was a very special once-a-decade type player at Alabama, and has the potential to be a top RB in the NFL. Pair that with what should be (already is to a certain extent) a top QB in the league over the next 5 to 6 seasons, and that is quite a combination. Luck-TRich is already one of the best QB-RB tandems.

It's a gamble to a certain extent, but not as much of one as people are making it seem. The future is still wide open for Grigson to make moves for the OL and the defense-- which I am sure he will.

RB led teams are not worth first round picks. you look at history where the rb was the best player on the team, not a lot won the big game. barry sanders never could do it, earl campbell, eric dickerson, oj simpson, walter payton did it once. you pair a talent like those guys with someone like andrew and they will go to the big game. im not saying t-rich is that talented, but when you have the threat to throw as a great a threat to run, you have a recipe for success

Eh, logically we did...No?

No.

'Drafting' a RB at #24 means that he was vetted by 23 other teams who wanted to look elsewhere.

'Trading' for a RB at  #24 means that only one team thought there was more value there.

The argument was there's not value in drafting a RB in the first round because the talent isn't worth the pick.  But here, we feel that the talent (top-5, top-10 or whatever) is worth the pick and that this talent level would never make it to the pick we gave up.  It's an artificial marketplace created by a team (Browns) who just want something back in exchange for Richardson; if he went back into the 2014 draft, he'd never fall past the pick.  That artificial marketplace is different than the draft.

Fair point and I'll put my hands up to bring a nay sayer for drafting a RB in round 1. On my defense I think I've said I'm still uneasy about it but I can see why Richardson was valued so highly.

If it works out then it looks a good move, if not then the backlash will not be fun on here :(

Long story short, I hear you but it's happened now so I can only but root for this to become the trade steal of the century. :P

We are getting an Edge type of talent level back for roughly where we took Addai and Brown. If we could have flipped one of them into an Edge type of talent level wouldn't people have done it in a heart beat?

Unfortunately, I don't think he has Edge type talent. Hopefully I am wrong.

3qpvt.jpg

Many people have said that they don't like the idea of spending a first rounder on a running back, and many people have said that they think the first round pick price for Richardson was higher than they'd like.

Try to separate that from the excitement of adding a really good and promising young player at a position where we've needed some help for a long time. People can like having Trent Richardson without being hypocrites because they didn't want to draft a RB in the first round.

I'm trying to understand why you're on such a crusade against anything and everything related to trying to run the football more effectively. Running the ball is important, and despite the fact that the league is more slanted toward the passing game now, sometimes you have to spend resources on improving the run game. Whether we should have used a first rounder in this case or not is only a small part of the equation. The bigger point is that we have improved the running game (theoretically, at least). But that's a bad thing, in your eyes.

I think that is more representative of the backs coming into the NFL.  You simply are not seeing the talent that was coming in before. If Edgerran James was in this last draft, he would have been a top 5 pick.  How many great NFL backs area there right now?  Adrian Peterson. Period.  So I think it has as much to do with talent as it does being a passing league.

WHY??

actually i dont and never have agreed that you dont go for a RB in the first round. even with our mistake in Donald Brown. Trent Richardson has the potential to be a beast in this league. and had he been on a team with a QB who is as dangerous as Luck is then Richardson may have been a 1200 yard rusher last year. but the browns relied on Richardson so much he got hurt. The colts offense has so many weapons who can make big plays for us in the passing game that T.R. may actually get to run the ball and pick up big yards. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Does anybody think it's kinda strange that Trich's worst game of his pro career was against us?  8 Carries for 8 Yards. I don't think he played in the second half, but still.

WHY??

RBs are not a "dime a dozen". If that were the case, Why did the Packers struggle for years to find a good RB and finaly decide to invest half of their draft to get Lacey and Franklin? They looked for years to find a quality back. Arizona has been looking for years and so have the Steelers and now the Giants. Truth is....good running backs are not a dime a dozen. You have to invest in a good back, and the good ones USUALLY are taken early in the draft. Arian Foster and Alfred Morris are the exceptions.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Some of Chris Johnson's worst games are against the Colts. 

And Ap had 2000+ yds and he had the fewest against us, 60 or so yards I believe.