Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If it hasn't sunk in...

HarassedOffTheSite

Trading one first round pick isn't mortgaging the future any more than actually using it on a player, who may or may not bust, is.

This was a value buy for us. Cleveland paid the 4th overall pick, 3 midrounders, and over $13 million in money to Trent for one year.

We spend (hopefully) a late first and get him for 3 years, 8 million. That's a huge bargain for a player who wasn't going to fall out of the top 10 last year even if one thinks he was overdrafted at 3rd overall. He was better than any RB in the 2013 draft, and frankly, I don't see anyone in the 2014 draft better, either.  

I didn't think I'd see people punishing a back who was able to get over 1200 total yards and 12 TD's his rookie year in Cleveland where there's absolutely no threat of a passing attack, but here we are.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think its necessary to have a second #1. I mean if Peyton goes down what would the broncos do? Reggie is a leader and couldn't be replaced by a majority of the players in the NFL. I also think they'll grab someone in FA that could grow to that #1.

I agree that the next #1 WR does not have to be on the roster now, but would be very helpful.  I would rather we draft our #1 than use FA to over pay for one that only stays for 3-4 years.

We have no way of knowing where Hilton would go if we didn't trade up to get him...and you're assessment of Hilton's talent is extremely misguided..no offense

None taken.  There are a few people that think I do not know what I am saying, but I have a good track record on what I say.  As to moving up and not waiting, if we had moved bac into the upper to middle of round would have been easier to understand, but to move up 5-6 places, then I would have waited  Like this year, I would have taken the trade and took Werner at the top of 2nd round and got a couple extra picks.  Just me.

I agree that the next #1 WR does not have to be on the roster now, but would be very helpful.  I would rather we draft our #1 than use FA to over pay for one that only stays for 3-4 years.

^^^ This I agree - out of likes ... easier to get good RBs in FA for a resonable price than some of our other positions of need

Guest TeamLoloJones

None taken.  There are a few people that think I do not know what I am saying, but I have a good track record on what I say.  As to moving up and not waiting, if we had moved bac into the upper to middle of round would have been easier to understand, but to move up 5-6 places, then I would have waited  Like this year, I would have taken the trade and took Werner at the top of 2nd round and got a couple extra picks.  Just me.

I don't think Werner would have lasted another 2 picks after we took him...and I think Grigson wanted Hilton so bad he couldn't wait.  I agree with trading up into the third because the Rams had the first pick in the 4th rd and I think they would have drafted Hilton instead of Chris Givens, so we just needed to get in front of St. Louis.  I obviously wasn't in the war room but that's my best guess of what would have/could have happened.  Needless to say I'm glad we got Hilton regardless of what it cost.

You could use a pick. You could also sign one of those guys who are all 25 I believe and keep them for 10 years. Everyone in free agency is overpaid. You're not only paying for the player but also the ability to not use a pick on that position.

Telling me we can't find a receiver and OL in rd 2-3 or 5th

There is a chance of finding any position in any round, but the lower the round the worse the odds and I would much rather roles the dice on a RB than OL or WR.  Much easier to find serviceable, cheap, and decent RBs in FA compared to other positions.

There is a chance of finding any position in any round, but the lower the round the worse the odds and I would much rather roles the dice on a RB than OL or WR. Much easier to find serviceable, cheap, and decent RBs in FA compared to other positions.

Teams don't typically go after FA rbs if their current team doesn't want them anymore then odds are they are pretty much done they want young backs(which Richardson doesn't turn 23 until July), OL can be found in multiple places, we have a 2nd-3rd round to find a receiver if it presents itself

Guest TeamLoloJones

There is a chance of finding any position in any round, but the lower the round the worse the odds and I would much rather roles the dice on a RB than OL or WR.  Much easier to find serviceable, cheap, and decent RBs in FA compared to other positions.

I've always said O lineman are the best to get in FA because they don't develop as fast other positions.  If we want to be a SB contender within 1 more year, then FA to bolster the o-line this offseason. And then draft best players available in the draft.

We REALLY have moved on from what we did last year. And we've completely left the Manning era behind.

The Indianapolis Colts are a run the ball and stop the run team. We're a lot more like the Stanford Cardinals than last year's playoff team or any Colts team during the Manning era.

Serious changes that I'm not sure all Colts fans have grasp. Myself included.

Luck, Wayne, Hilton, Fleener, Allen ... I don't see a run first mentality setting in anytime soon.

Once the losses pile up, the Colts will be a mediocre team. That is something most Colts fans are not ready for yet. 

I think after going 2-14 season before last Colts fans are ready for anything that happens. We are still here and the true Colt fan ain't going nowhere. If your opinion is the Colts are mediocre that's on you. But that view is not shared by many. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Once the losses pile up, the Colts will be a mediocre team. That is something most Colts fans are not ready for yet. 

As long as Andrew Luck is the Colts Qb, we will always be above mediocre.  The rest of the league isn't ready yet for the Colts dynasty.

Marginal players are always happy to be with a new team because otherwise, they are unemployed.   Top level players are usually hurt that their team didn't believe in them.  It will take him a while to get over it.

I didn't get that impression with his interview. He sounded excited to be here. After what the Browns have been for quite some time my opinion is he is very happy. Plus, have you seen the difference in the two cities? 

As Reggie's replacement is not on the roster, our O-line still needs help as well as the Defense, IMO, we needed to look in 2014' draft for another impact player.  Now, we have to wait until 2015. 

Get real. Being a 1st round pick does not automatically make a player so called impact. Was Hilton a first rounder? Matter of fact there are more impact players picked in later rounds more so when you count the salary cap. There are a few so called impact players who were never drafted., I think you are just over reacting.

Hindsight is 20-20.  It's pretty easy to say what you would have done after the facts. 

I didn't get that impression with his interview. He sounded excited to be here. After what the Browns have been for quite some time my opinion is he is very happy. Plus, have you seen the difference in the two cities?

Well, he was admittedly sad at first. He seems to be getting used to it, but still he viewed himself as a franchise back and teams don't trade them. I bet his pride is hurt. Like someone else said, I hope he plays inspired ball because of it.

I don't think Werner would have lasted another 2 picks after we took him...and I think Grigson wanted Hilton so bad he couldn't wait.  I agree with trading up into the third because the Rams had the first pick in the 4th rd and I think they would have drafted Hilton instead of Chris Givens, so we just needed to get in front of St. Louis.  I obviously wasn't in the war room but that's my best guess of what would have/could have happened.  Needless to say I'm glad we got Hilton regardless of what it cost.

You could be correct, but we will never know .

You could use a pick. You could also sign one of those guys who are all 25 I believe and keep them for 10 years. Everyone in free agency is overpaid. You're not only paying for the player but also the ability to not use a pick on that position.

You are right, but I do not see a young #1 receiver making it to FA.

Telling me we can't find a receiver and OL in rd 2-3 or 5th

Not saying you can not find a WR in latter rounds, the chances of getting a #1 after the 1st round goes down each round.  Yes there are exceptions to that rule Andre Johnson comes to mind, but as I just said they are the exception not the rule.  Yes you can get O-line in later rounds, but the old adage comes in to play "You get what you pay for".  We need an impact interior lineman to solidify our O-line and you will not get that after 2nd round , IMO

Get real. Being a 1st round pick does not automatically make a player so called impact. Was Hilton a first rounder? Matter of fact there are more impact players picked in later rounds more so when you count the salary cap. There are a few so called impact players who were never drafted., I think you are just over reacting.

You are right about not being an impact player just because you are drafted in 1st round, but the percentages are higher.  I will not talk Hilton being an impact player as IMO, he is stll to inconsistent.

Not saying you can not find a WR in latter rounds, the chances of getting a #1 after the 1st round goes down each round. Yes there are exceptions to that rule Andre Johnson comes to mind, but as I just said they are the exception not the rule. Yes you can get O-line in later rounds, but the old adage comes in to play "You get what you pay for". We need an impact interior lineman to solidify our O-line and you will not get that after 2nd round , IMO

Interior OL in round 1, never will be a fan of that, I agree with what Polian said about 1st rounders "1st round picks are for players who score Tds and guys who create turnovers, and LTs"- heard him say that on NFL Live or one of them shows he was on.

Not saying you can not find a WR in latter rounds, the chances of getting a #1 after the 1st round goes down each round.  Yes there are exceptions to that rule Andre Johnson comes to mind, but as I just said they are the exception not the rule.  Yes you can get O-line in later rounds, but the old adage comes in to play "You get what you pay for".  We need an impact interior lineman to solidify our O-line and you will not get that after 2nd round , IMO

I think you meant to say someone besides Andre Johnson...he went #3 overall.

Interior OL in round 1, never will be a fan of that, I agree with what Polian said about 1st rounders "1st round picks are for players who score Tds and guys who create turnovers, and LTs"- heard him say that on NFL Live or one of them shows he was on.

I guess that's why our DT's always sucked

Would have liked the trade if it had not cost us so much.  We have bigger problems right now than RB, and mortgaging the future that could help solve them is not the way.

I disagree.  I think Richardson was worth the 1st round that we gave up because of where we most likely will be drafting in 2014.  There really isn't anyone coming out that we have to have or be in the position to move up much higher in the draft to try and get the top handful of players.  Basically we just drafted early and picked Richardson.

Trading one first round pick isn't mortgaging the future any more than actually using it on a player, who may or may not bust, is.

This was a value buy for us. Cleveland paid the 4th overall pick, 3 midrounders, and over $13 million in money to Trent for one year.

We spend (hopefully) a late first and get him for 3 years, 8 million. That's a huge bargain for a player who wasn't going to fall out of the top 10 last year even if one thinks he was overdrafted at 3rd overall. He was better than any RB in the 2013 draft, and frankly, I don't see anyone in the 2014 draft better, either.

I didn't think I'd see people punishing a back who was able to get over 1200 total yards and 12 TD's his rookie year in Cleveland where there's absolutely no threat of a passing attack, but here we are.

^^^^^^^^^^

That doesn't really make sense becuz his off the field issues are what caused him to fall not his talent so he could be our #1

Having looked up draft results and he was a UDFA.  The off the field problem(s) must have been bad.  The question is, "Do you want that in a young locker room?".  Having seen the Combine, I was not impressed with him.  I could be wrong and hope I am, but he is a long shot.

I disagree.  I think Richardson was worth the 1st round that we gave up because of where we most likely will be drafting in 2014.  There really isn't anyone coming out that we have to have or be in the position to move up much higher in the draft to try and get the top handful of players.  Basically we just drafted early and picked Richardson.

As I stated before, I would have liked this pick-up if we did not have more pressing problems.  As others on the forum, and I agree with them, we could get a quality RB after the 1st round.

Well when one considers that Cleveland has paid T Rich the greater portion of his salary, and realize the Colts are on the hook for 6m over 3 years then the trade makes a TON of sense.

Bradshaw and Brown will likely not be here next year, Ballard is iffy so this trade does make sense IF T Rich stays healthy,

I did not like the trade at first but after hearing all the details it was really a NO BRAIN ER on the Colts end.

The only way this trade becomes disappointing is if the picks turns out to be a top 10 pick, then Indy would could have really upgraded the OL or DL..   but???   Hindsight is 20/20...   live in the now.

Would have liked the trade if it had not cost us so much.  We have bigger problems right now than RB, and mortgaging the future that could help solve them is not the way.