Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If it hasn't sunk in...

HarassedOffTheSite

Sure Indy could have drafted another Ben Ijalana, Jerry Hughes, or a Dan Wilkerson..     you never know how anything will turn out.

The Colts will have plenty of cap room next year to upgrade the OL and DL.

As I stated before, I would have liked this pick-up if we did not have more pressing problems.  As others on the forum, and I agree with them, we could get a quality RB after the 1st round.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading a lot of nonsense statements & phrases.

Bottomline: there isn't a single RB in next year's entire draft....much less wherever the Colts would be picking...that would be rated above Trent Richardson. Therefore Richardson is worth our 1st rounder all day long.

Now, some what to argue (I could insert a period right there) that the Colts have bigger needs. Perhaps, oline is definitely an area of concern. But apparently Grigs had Richardson rated higher than any of next year's round 1 prospects regardless of position.

I roll with Grigson 1,000,000 times before I'd ever even consider, much less take seriously any online negadit's ill-informed, contrary, presumptuous position.

As I stated before, I would have liked this pick-up if we did not have more pressing problems.  As others on the forum, and I agree with them, we could get a quality RB after the 1st round.

Of the top 20 all time NFL leading rushers, only 4 weren't first round picks.  Of those 4 Curtis Martin went the lowest at pick 74 (3rd round).  

Most of the NFLs leading rushers went in the first round.  The top 5 rushers (excluding KC and PHI players for laziness of calculation) were first round draft choices.

You can find talent late at any position.  But earlier draft choices are more likely to succeed.  We've done alot of swinging and missing in that later rounds at RB.  Hopefully this makes us set for at least the next 4-5 years.

We REALLY have moved on from what we did last year. And we've completely left the Manning era behind.

The Indianapolis Colts are a run the ball and stop the run team. We're a lot more like the Stanford Cardinals than last year's playoff team or any Colts team during the Manning era.

Serious changes that I'm not sure all Colts fans have grasp. Myself included.

Sigh. 

We're not a running team. We're concentrating on improving the run because we're already good at throwing and we need to balance it out. You can't be consistently effective passing the ball if you don't have a viable run game.

That's all there is to it. 

Of the top 20 all time NFL leading rushers, only 4 weren't first round picks.  Of those 4 Curtis Martin went the lowest at pick 74 (3rd round).  

Most of the NFLs leading rushers went in the first round.  The top 5 rushers (excluding KC and PHI players for laziness of calculation) were first round draft choices.

You can find talent late at any position.  But earlier draft choices are more likely to succeed.  We've done alot of swinging and missing in that later rounds at RB.  Hopefully this makes us set for at least the next 4-5 years.

What you stated is true, but with the exception of Barry Sanders, they all had good O-lines.  As I have stated, would be happy if our other problems were not there.

Sigh. 

We're not a running team.

Nobody said or implied we were some adolescent notion of a purely "running team".

"I" said we're a run the ball and stop the run team that has departed from not only the Manning era but even from last year's offensive philosophy. It's not hard to grasp. But apparently some were out to lunch this previous offseason.

Nobody said or implied we were some adolescent notion of a purely "running team".

"I" said we're a run the ball and stop the run team that has departed from not only the Manning era but even from last year's offensive philosophy. It's not hard to grasp. But apparently some were out to lunch this previous offseason.

You did.

"We're a run the ball...team that has departed from...the Manning era".

What you stated is true, but with the exception of Barry Sanders, they all had good O-lines.  As I have stated, would be happy if our other problems were not there.

Time will tell, but I think we have the makings of a decent o-line.  The pass blocking is a bit shaky, but they've done an ok job opening holes for Ballard and Bradshaw thus far.  Cherilus looks like a smart signing, Castonzo is probably ok, Thornton is promising.

Satele and Mcglynn are pretty bad, but Thomas comes back next season and Holmes is a potential replacement for Satele.  A good starting line may already be on the roster.  

Time will tell, but I think we have the makings of a decent o-line.  The pass blocking is a bit shaky, but they've done an ok job opening holes for Ballard and Bradshaw thus far.  Cherilus looks like a smart signing, Castonzo is probably ok, Thornton is promising.

Satele and Mcglynn are pretty bad, but Thomas comes back next season and Holmes is a potential replacement for Satele.  A good starting line may already be on the roster.  

I hope you are right, as I am not sold on our O-line.  Cherilus is a 1 year wonder: would have got him cheaper if it was 2011.   I have pulled for AC every since he was drafted; I hoped he would step up and be that franchise LT.  Thornton shows promise, but can he stay healthy and become consistent.  Holmes showed promise at USC, so have high hopes.

After that, our depth stinks.

I hope you are right, as I am not sold on our O-line.  Cherilus is a 1 year wonder: would have got him cheaper if it was 2011.   I have pulled for AC every since he was drafted; I hoped he would step up and be that franchise LT.  Thornton shows promise, but can he stay healthy and become consistent.  Holmes showed promise at USC, so have high hopes.

After that, our depth stinks.

Agreed.  I really hope noone else goes down.

You are right, but I do not see a young #1 receiver making it to FA.

I think there is a good chance Kenny Britt, Jeremy Maclin and Hakeem Nicks all make it to free agency. With Grigson having worked for Philly I think there is a good chance Maclin is a Colt, which the more I think about it the more I like. Maclin could take the year to come back from injury slowly then become a #1. DHB could be retained as a #2 and Hilton would be the primary slot weapon. Combine that with Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Trent Richardson and Andrew Luck and you have a young, potentially dominant offense.

We REALLY have moved on from what we did last year. And we've completely left the Manning era behind.

The Indianapolis Colts are a run the ball and stop the run team. We're a lot more like the Stanford Cardinals than last year's playoff team or any Colts team during the Manning era.

Serious changes that I'm not sure all Colts fans have grasp. Myself included.

I get what your saying Brian. How we win now is different. Girth on both lines with an aggressive ground commitment sprinkled in with the pass. Makes perfect sense to me. I don't think INDY can ever forget 18 though, but I know what you meant & I completely agree. 

Luck, Wayne, Hilton, Fleener, Allen ... I don't see a run first mentality setting in anytime soon.

Seriously? Do you remember Pagano's 1st introductory press conference? Run the ball stop the run? Simple me complex you? Sound familiar? 

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Pagano-Hired-Press-Conference/2ba3545a-89ce-4083-b53e-9a0c4d398b14

Put it this way; we're going to be a "whatever it takes" offense.

Luck sees the box stacked, he has weapons on the outside so he throws it.

Luck sees the LB's playing soft and the corners back, he calls a run.

Simple.

Yes, we still need chemistry on the OLine and maybe a guard or another tackle to really make this work,

but you have to figure that we are pretty close to making that happen.

Speed, good route running WR's: Check

Power running backs: Check

Top notch QB to make the proper reads: QB (He's here, but give him another year)

Good OLine to provide pass protecion and holes for the RB's: Work in Progress

Bottom line here, i don't think management wants us to be a run first OR pass first offense.  They want to

be a "whatever the team gives them" offense.  We're going to be very good at doing both.

I think there is a good chance Kenny Britt, Jeremy Maclin and Hakeem Nicks all make it to free agency. With Grigson having worked for Philly I think there is a good chance Maclin is a Colt, which the more I think about it the more I like. Maclin could take the year to come back from injury slowly then become a #1. DHB could be retained as a #2 and Hilton would be the primary slot weapon. Combine that with Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener, Trent Richardson and Andrew Luck and you have a young, potentially dominant offense.

That is the difference between you and I.  I would not pay huge FA money for a player that can not give the team at least 13 starts per season.  That was my only concern with Toler this past FA pick-up.

As far as the 3 you mentioned, Nicks speaks for hisself, a #1 but has problems staying healthy.  IMO, neither Britt or Maclin are a #1 WR.  Britt has had a chance and did not get it done.  Maclin is more like Bey, IMO a #2 WR.

So, I would not spend #1 money for any of the 3.

That is the difference between you and I.  I would not pay huge FA money for a player that can not give the team at least 13 starts per season.  That was my only concern with Toler this past FA pick-up.

As far as the 3 you mentioned, Nicks speaks for hisself, a #1 but has problems staying healthy.  IMO, neither Britt or Maclin are a #1 WR.  Britt has had a chance and did not get it done.  Maclin is more like Bey, IMO a #2 WR.

So, I would not spend #1 money for any of the 3.

Much like how trading for Richardson was much more than any of us expected there might be a similar situation with Josh Gordon. I would be ecstatic if they snagged Gordon.