Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do we want to take the ball out of Luck's hands

oldunclemark

We seem obcessed with running the ball....

...We gave up year's No.1 (which hopefully wont be a high pick) for ANOTHER running back

We didn't even give Bradhsaw a full shot as the starter (obviously we didn't bring in TR to come off the bench)

We have a premier QB. I don't want to be a running team.

..and Im worried that our defensive coach....our conservative OC and our O-lineman GM believe in a philosophy that went out in the 80s

That running the ball and defense can win consistently..and you don't want to throw 30 times.

Im worried that we'd spend a No,.1 on a RB when we need O-line and D-line help

Every time you take the ball out of Andrew Luck';s hands, you are doing the opposition favor

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...We gave up year's No.1 (which hopefully wont be a high pick) for ANOTHER running back

We didn't even give Bradhsaw a full shot as the starter (obviously we didn't bring in TR to come off the bench)

..and Im worried that our defensive coach....our conservative OC and our O-lineman GM believe in a philosophy that went out in the 80s

That running the ball and defense can win consistently..and you don't want to throw 30 times.

Every time you take the ball out of Andrew Luck';s hands, you are doing the opposition favor

Peyton seemed to do pretty well with edge

to effectively pass the ball you must be able to run the ball

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Everything gets better.

Short yardage plays open up.

Play action becomes a bigger weapon as teams will have to respect Richardson more than Donald Brown/Vick Ballard/Ahmad Bradshaw. 

He is a fantastic receiver. 

And honestly, who are any of us to complain about getting Luck a long term weapon when our 2014 1st round pick will be in the range of 15-32? 

I don't know where that thinking comes from that running is a bad thing.  Tell me how many times a pure passing team has won the Super Bowl?  Maybe the Packers a few years ago??  Every team that wins the Super Bowl is the team that in the playoffs runs and stops the runs better than the other teams.  So not sure why we want to throw 90% of the time.  Sure, Peyton won a lot of games.  But one Super Bowl.  We underachieved.   Had we ran better and stopped the run better, we would have had a few more rings.

I love the trade.  Best RB we have had since James.

Let's just pass the ball 70 times a game, that ought to work. Let's cut all the backs and sign more receivers!

Seriously? I'm as supportive of utilizing Luck as anyone else, but it makes no sense to me how resistant some are to the idea of being a good running team. It makes life easier on Luck. Takes nothing away from him.

The 49ers don't mind taking the ball out of Kapps hands and putting it in Gores. Look, I heard from the offseason that we would look like the 49ers and now I see that may be true. That's not a bad thing. Throwing the ball with zero running attack doesn't work in the Super Bowl.

People are DRUNK off of a 11 win season.     This team is NOT good enough to be tossing 1st round picks away like candy.

Patience...    people..    JIM TWEETY in particular.

The front office is making moves to win right now, yet we still have people who are complaining. 

Let's just pass the ball 70 times a game, that ought to work. Let's cut all the backs and sign more receivers!

Seriously? I'm as supportive of utilizing Luck as anyone else, but it makes no sense to me how resistant some are to the idea of being a good running team. It makes life easier on Luck. Takes nothing away from him.

Offensive line men make easy on Luck...

I don't want to be conservative..we are thinking in the past

I'm amazed we don't see how the NFL has changed....Its like we're trying to turn back the clock...

Trent Richardson is a 2nd year back who didn't run for 1,000 yards behind a better line than we have

I don't know where that thinking comes from that running is a bad thing.  Tell me how many times a pure passing team has won the Super Bowl?  Maybe the Packers a few years ago??  Every team that wins the Super Bowl is the team that in the playoffs runs and stops the runs better than the other teams.  So not sure why we want to throw 90% of the time.  Sure, Peyton won a lot of games.  But one Super Bowl.  We underachieved.   Had we ran better and stopped the run better, we would have had a few more rings.

I love the trade.  Best RB we have had since James.

Best line?

The 49ers don't mind taking the ball out of Kapps hands and putting it in Gores. Look, I heard from the offseason that we would look like the 49ers and now I see that may be true. That's not a bad thing. Throwing the ball with zero running attack doesn't work in the Super Bowl.

Exactly LockeDown! Running the ball also helps win games or SBs in sleet, snow, fog, & rain. Something Peyton Manning & Joseph Addai can attest to too. 

People are DRUNK off of a 11 win season.     This team is NOT good enough to be tossing 1st round picks away like candy.

Patience...    people..    JIM TWEETY in particular.

I do not agree with you.

This is a huge trade and we just locked up a top 5 RB for cheap.

Richardson is Lynch only much younger.

I'm amazed we don't see how the NFL has changed....Its like we're trying to turn back the clock...

Trent Richardson is a 2nd year back who didn't run for 1,000 yards behind a better line than we have

Having a balanced approach isn't conservative, it's smart. You want 50 passes a game, and can't understand the virtue of trying to improve the run game. I don't get it.

I still like the trade.. Think it was a good move.. TRich is going to be a good back for us especially since he has a capable QB who doesn't allow the D to stack 8 in the box play after play.. TRich and Luck will feed off each other and benefit from being back there together

Did you see the LT that came in for Okung?   His name is Carpenter and he is better than ANY OL INDY has. 

Seattle INVESTS IN it's OL.    Indy is investing in players that are TOTALLY dependent on the OL.

I got news for you kids...  Trent R is a NICE player... but he DOES NOT change the needle win wise.

I'd of given up 2 first rounders for Joe Thomas..       but Jimmy doesn't have a clue.

I do not agree with you.

This is a huge trade and we just locked up a top 5 RB for cheap.

Richardson is Lynch only much younger.

I look at it as, we have had a revolving at HB so to say. We have been looking for a HB to go along with Ballard and now we have one. All the time and picks we could have possibly spent searching for that guy now can go towards the O-line and improving the defense. We now have a lethal tandem at HB to complement Luck for the next 10 years or so...

Rob Rang                                                                                  Dane Brugler

16 INDIANAPOLIS Jason Verrett, CB TCU                               Ryan Shazier, OLB Ohio State

17 ST. LOUIS (from WAS.png) Cyril Richardson, OG Baylor             Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS Alabama

18 DALLAS Anthony Johnson, DT LSU                                  Dominique Easley, DT Florida

19 ST. LOUIS Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, FS Alabama                        Ra'Shede Hageman, DT Minnesota

20 CINCINNATTI Ryan Shazier, OLB Ohio State                      Marqise Lee, WR Southern California

21 MIAMI Cameron Erving, OT Florida State                           Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB Oregon

22 ATLANTA Ra'Shede Hageman, DT Minnesota                    Deion Barnes, DE Penn State

23 BALTIMORE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE Washington     Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M

24 KANSAS CITY Sammy Watkins, WR Clemson                     Allen Robinson, WR Penn State

25 CHICAGO Christian Jones, OLB Florida State                   Jason Verrett, CB TCU

26 NEW ORLEANS Khalil Mack, OLB Buffalo                           Kyle Van Noy, OLB Brigham Young

27 NEW ENGLAND Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M                     Stephon Tuitt, DE Notre Dame

28 GREEN BAY Colt Lyerla, TE Oregon                                   Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE Washington

29 HOUSTON Stephon Tuitt, DE Notre Dame                          Morgan Breslin, OLB Southern California

30 SF Jalen Saunders, WR Oklahoma                                    Brandon Coleman, WR Rutgers

31 SEATTLE Eric Ebron, TE North Carolina                            Seantrel Henderson, OT Miami (Fla.)

32 DENVER Dominique Easley, DT Florida                            Trent Murphy, DE Stanford

Look at the talent of this draft upcoming. I know it's early but just as a general view, Trent Richardson, if he was in this draft, you wouldn't favor over most of these players. Not to mention the fact that there's no guarantees any one of these players will become a great player. So we effectively got a player that would be a great talent at the pick we would of had, that has proven that he can play in this league and we get him this year. With the argument of why take the ball out of Lucks hands? Obviously Andrew does great things with the ball in his hands but the great teams who win in the playoff need to be able to grind and pound the ball on the ground in December and January when teams are fatigued and beat up with injuries.

Sorry for the big post people. This is the first and last time I will do this. Go Colts!

Guest TeamLoloJones

Did you see the LT that came in for Okung?   His name is Carpenter and he is better than ANY OL INDY has. 

Seattle INVESTS IN it's OL.    Indy is investing in players that are TOTALLY dependent on the OL.

I got news for you kids...  Trent R is a NICE player... but he DOES NOT change the needle win wise.

I'd of given up 2 first rounders for Joe Thomas..       but Jimmy doesn't have a clue.

You're kidding right?  Smith made him look silly.  The Seahawks had to run their offense away from Smith the rest of the game.

While I agree that the Browns have the better line they definitely are not better at QB. When teams played the Browns you could just stack the box and stop TRich. Now that he's on the Colts people have to respect the passing game and defend TRich. I expect a lot of play action.

What if we continue to pass the ball exactly the same number of times but become more effective when we run? Adding Richardson could do just that, and we wouldn't be taking the ball out of Luck's hand.

In fact, if Richardson and Bradshaw could run for first downs, it keeps the ball in Luck's hands.

I don't see why this isn't a win-win. I'm sure Luck is excited by this move.

Kind of like asking why you would want to take the ball out of Peytons hands and give it to Edgerrin James.

Uhhhhh they both feed off each other. When it got to the point that we were unable to run then defenses just

sat back and ignored our running game in Peytons last years here. We don't want that happening with Luck

A strong running game is a passing game's best friend. The threat of the run sets up the play action pass. Also, Luck is still a young QB and it will serve him well to take pressure off so he doesn't feel like HE has to win the game. A balanced offense will allow for them to control the ball, and in the end control the game.

Its just as much of a statement move throughout the organization that we want to get physical and not be a finesse team as it is for talent, The actual pick up I love, How could you not like Richardson (if he stays healthy)? Would I have done it? Not at this stage but there is logic in it, Bradshaw will be a FA at the end of the year, Ballard will be coming back from injury and we wont likely have Brown

Can we trade SF's front 7 for Indy's???

I'd rather have Richardson than lean almost entirely on Brown & Bradshaw. I have no qualms about Bradshaw, but I don't care for Brown personally. Point taken: A quality OL does matter. I agree 100%

There's no way, Cleveland would give up Joe Thomas in a million years John. Never gonna happen no matter how many draft picks we promised them my friend. Plus, it would probably take 2 1's & a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Too rich for my blood. Joe Thomas is a freaking stud though. I saw that 1st hand at WI myself. Nobody moves that kid or gets to the QB on his side 95% of the time. 

I fail to see how defensive and running consistency are bad things. If it wins games, it doesn't matter whose hands the ball is in. If Luck doesn't have to throw the ball 30+ times and we still win, that's fine by me. There are no style points in the NFL. A win is a win.