Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Use of the Fullback

Smonroe

I just went through the game, charting the O plays.  DirectTV gives you the shortcuts, all the plays in a half hour.  It makes it pretty easy to re-watch the game if you're only looking for specific things.

I won't go into boring statistics, but I was pleasantly surprised with our FB plays.  When I first watched the game I thought it was a wasted position.  It may still be because a TE may be able to do the same things, but here are the cold facts:

By my count (and I may be off) we ran 54 plays on O, not counting punts or the kneel down.  We had a paltry 7 series.

The FB was in on 23 plays.  He didn't play on either of the 3 and outs, so that's 5 series.

I consider 16 of the plays he was in on to be positive.  They either gained at least 3 yards or there was a penalty in our favor.  He was in during a sack, that was the only real negative.  The others were either 1 yard gains or incompletions.

Overall, it looked like he got his block, but I think I did see him miss one time.

Again, I'm not sure it's a necessary position.  I expect if we continue to use it we'll pass to him like in the preseason.  

These are my impressions, what do you think?

I really don't get that either with the OL this team has.       Power running is a PIPE DREAM....

oh well..        time will tell.

Josh Wilson of Stampede blue said Havili had 28 snaps and Hilton had 25 snaps.

Totally unacceptable from a Hilton snap count perspective

I assume he's saying that we'd run more 3 WR sets if we didn't have a FB?  I'm not sure that's true.  

I suspect we would have run the same number of 2 WR sets, we just didn't run as many plays in this game.  I do agree that Hilton has to see the field more.

We'll find out next week if this game is an anomaly.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with hilton... He is way too explosive to be standing on the sidelines watching as we run countless jumbo formations trying to get big chunks of yardage on the ground. Even though it's the opposite of what should be done, our passing game dictates the running game, not the other way around. Hilton should be used so much more in bubble screens just to get the ball in his hands since he is so explosive and shifty

Well Hilton could always learn how to be a lead blocker and how to pass protect in the backfield. Even if he did havili would likely still be better at both and therefore stillsee the field more ;)

@KBowenColts: Pagano on T.Y. Hilton's 3 catches Sunday: "We need to get him going earlier in the ball game. We will do that and we’ve talked about that."

Pagano said this today, just have to permanently install this in Pep's head

Coach Chuck knows where its at.....

SF, Seattle, Denver and Houston will love it if we voluntarily take Hilton off the field

I assume he's saying that we'd run more 3 WR sets if we didn't have a FB?  I'm not sure that's true.  

I suspect we would have run the same number of 2 WR sets, we just didn't run as many plays in this game.  I do agree that Hilton has to see the field more.

We'll find out next week if this game is an anomaly.

Good point..

Just looking at the numbers..I think we only ran 49 plays..

The Eagles do that in a half..

Good point..

Just looking at the numbers..I think we only ran 49 plays..

The Eagles do that in a half..

You're probably right about the plays, I included the sets where penalties were called to get a feel for how much the FB is on the field.

This game reminded me of the last couple seasons with Peyton where the other team would have long sustained drives.

You're probably right about the plays, I included the sets where penalties were called to get a feel for how much the FB is on the field.

This game reminded me of the last couple seasons with Peyton where the other team would have long sustained drives.

I remember those days.  That was so mentally exhausting watching the defense give a few yards here and a few yards there and practically gift wrapping 1st downs on every 3rd.  I have to say that Sunday was very reminiscent of those days.

I agree....just hard to go to 3 WR sets when the Def. is constantly in the backfield. However, not being in the 3 WR set also had an inverse effect.....they were rushing DBs off the edge.

I think the use of a fullback is a good idea. It makes that running game so much better imo. They are not the most important position on the pitch but they do need to be their to get blocks in. Maybe not Ballard or Bradshaw but Brown imo definitely needs that fullback to find him a hole to run through.

I think Havili needs to be used more in the passing catching game when he is in, Not as a receiver thats going to routinely make catches but as a hot read of sorts or safety net for Luck for those times that Luck dont recognize the blitz....which there was a few instances of those vs the Raiders, Also our wr's (including Wayne) must learn to read blitz as well especially when the opposing defense brings more then our O Line can block (yes I realize that last little line opened up for someone to say that our O Line cant block anyone). Havili was not targeted 1 time vs the Raiders

I agree....just hard to go to 3 WR sets when the Def. is constantly in the backfield. However, not being in the 3 WR set also had an inverse effect.....they were rushing DBs off the edge.

It works well. Peyton's been running it for years, as has Brady. However, they recognize what's coming pre-snap and are able to deliver the ball quickly. Hilton would be perfect for the Amendola/Welker role. Luck just needs to recognize what the D is doing and get a receiver in a shorter/quicker route for a quick check down.

The official game book has us at 49 offensive plays not counting kicks. Also we had it for 8 drives including that Int to end the game

My numbers are different because I was including the penalties.  My goal here was to chart the number of sets we used the FB even if that set was a no play. 

I also didn't count the kneel downs, so we really had 7 drives.  Considering that, we were pretty effective for most of the drives.  Three scores, two where we moved the ball pretty well.  Only two 3 and outs.  It's up to the D to give the O more chances.

Also, you made a good point about Havali being used for the hot read. 

I think Havili needs to be used more in the passing catching game when he is in, Not as a receiver thats going to routinely make catches but as a hot read of sorts or safety net for Luck for those times that Luck dont recognize the blitz....which there was a few instances of those vs the Raiders, Also our wr's (including Wayne) must learn to read blitz as well especially when the opposing defense brings more then our O Line can block (yes I realize that last little line opened up for someone to say that our O Line cant block anyone). Havili was not targeted 1 time vs the Raiders

When they got down 14 they started blitzing.

Bizzare we didn`t have a hot read adjustment. Lots to work on!!

Gonna B a season of hot read hot foot`in for ol' Andrew.

Have I bragged on Andrews pinpoint accuracy yet?

Ballards blitz pickups? haha! They Did GOOD!!