Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lack of Depth at WR

atapcl

The way I see it is simple, we have our first 3 wr's set who will be on the field more, it wont hurt seeing what this obviously talented kid can do

I agree for one he was on the bills and their QB isn't anything special and he had ppl ahead of him as well he obviously had success in the SEC the power conference in college football also at a small school

Just my opinion but he is only effective setting down in an open spot of a zone. He cant get separation in a man defense which takes him out of the offense.

That is what his job is. To find a soft spot in the defense. He is not a #1 or a #2 receiver and to expect him to play like one is ridiculous. 

Not worried. Our tight ends are receivers basically, plus the backs can catch. Did I mention I'm not worried?

I am with you on that. Too many worry warts have to make things harder than they need to be. Now they want our #3, #4 and our #5 receivers to play like #1s. Allen and Fleener along with our backs will be just fine if our #99 receiver don't play like Megatron.  :thinking:

It was pointed out WRs caught two passes in the Bengals game, both by Whalen.  I think he almost wins the fourth WR job by default because he's the only back up WR who did anything during the pre-season.  I think we can take Brazil out of the equation for the moment here because he's going to be suspended for four games if he makes the final roster (and it's not like anyone really stepped up to take his job at least he has last year to fall back on when he did a little something.)  I don't think the Colts are going to go into the season with just four WRs.  Now they might keep Reed and let him miss the first week or something with injury and he could be the fifth WR but really he's a kick returner.  So my guess is that the Colts are going to be looking at other teams cuts to see if a fifth WR shakes free that could round out their roster.  We have three really good starters but if one of them gets hurt we really don't have much behind the front line. 

This is the thing that is very misleading late in preseason games with the back-ups in.  In the regular season, we will never see that happen.  Yes, starters will get hurt, or get a rest, but that means we'll have 1 or 2 backups in with the rest of the starting line-up.  If you look around the league, no one was really tearing it up late in the games because it's ALL back-up receivers, line, QB, etc.  

Give Whalen and Brazill time with Luck instead of Hasselbeck and Harnish, and they'll look like completely different players, I'd imagine. In my opinion, Whalen is a very solid #4, and Brazill is a great #5.

If we have an injury situation that, god forbid, forces both Whalen AND Brazill onto the field at the same time, it means we have 2 starters out at one position.  No offense is going to flourish in that situation.  Remember 2010?  We had to put Blair White and someone else (who i can't even remember) out there for a couple of games.  Even Peyton looked human in some of those games. I 

Good "depth" doesn't mean you have a good player at every spot on the roster.  It means you have solid starters, then back-ups who can come in and basically look competent. 

still kept him, still have Brazill to, Walden to

walden was never charged with a crime, and brazil was already here. Also Lefedged was already here before you bring him up. I said we don't bring many off field trouble guys in. not that they cut ones that are already here and under contract

I am with you on that. Too many worry warts have to make things harder than they need to be. Now they want our #3, #4 and our #5 receivers to play like #1s. Allen and Fleener along with our backs will be just fine if our #99 receiver don't play like Megatron.  :thinking:

But, but what if Wayne, TY and DHB all get hurt at the same time, then where will the Colts be?

(Take that!  And don't try to throw any logic out there about how all teams would be hurting if their top 3 WRs got injured because that logic would not support a theory about poor depth way down on the depth chart.)

But, but what if Wayne, TY and DHB all get hurt at the same time, then where will the Colts be?

(Take that!  And don't try to throw any logic out there about how all teams would be hurting if their top 3 WRs got injured because that logic would not support a theory about poor depth way down on the depth chart.)

Really? Oh gawd.

(Take that! And don't try to throw any logic out there about how all teams would be hurting if their top 3 WRs got injured because that logic would not support a theory about poor depth way down on the depth chart.)

When you start using nonsensical hypotheticals, you lose the argument. What if nuclear holocaust happened? Who would the colts turn to at QB?

Really? Oh gawd.

When you start using nonsensical hypotheticals, you lose the argument. What if nuclear holocaust happened? Who would the colts turn to at QB?

You guys really could not see the sarcasm in that?

Bronx Colts, you even saw and commented on the "nonsensical hypothetical".

Oh well, it is hard to see sarcasm over the internet.

The preseason seemed to indicate that the WR core is weak on depth. TY, Wayne, and DHB are solid. Brazil looked promising with the little practice he had. After Brazil the next core looks like they should all be cut. One (Whalen) might be kept since Brazil is out 4 games, but with extended playing time in preseason none of the second tier players look talented enough to use a roster spot on them. Reed showed KR ability but he now has a concussion and he did not endear himself as a receiving threat on a team that needed receivers. Maybe that's why Grigson has beaten the bushes trying to find another receiver. I believe the Colts will cut this area to 4 players until another WR can be found.

I still think Griff is good! I think a very good back-up slot receiver. 

If the Colts are going to cut KW for keep Reed who has return skills.

Nope...

RUSHING STATISTICS

Player Att Yds Yds/Att Long TD

Kerwynn Williams 41 169 4.1 27 0

Vick Ballard 20 62 3.1 15 0

Donald Brown 17 74 4.4 22 0

Hes shown enough to be kept

There has got to be a better option somewhere out there better than Griff. He a PS player at best.

Somewhat off topic but is anyone watching the Rice-A&M game? This Rice WR Jordan Taylor is something else. Guy is 6'5 and has excellent timing/instincts/hands. He's someone I hope we'd be looking at very closely next draft, especially if the DHB experiment doesn't work out.

I said a million times in the Da'rick Rogers thread that we should sign him our staff could unlock all his potential not to mention the best young QB and Reggie to help him in the locker room and on the field the kid has talent he tore it up at Tennessee tech lol and was a beast at Tennessee

I think Rogers has a bunch of potential, but I'm not so sure about his presence in the locker room and off the field antics.  I'm iffy about that one in some ways.

Just because the kid got cut doesn't mean the talent isn't there.  Chris Carter got cut from the Eagles at one point in his career and went on to have a hall of fame career. Maybe getting cut will grow Rogers up some, he does have a ton of talent, but I am unsure if we should risk it. I think he's got better potential than Whalen as Rogers can get you RAC and he can play inside the slot and outside.  Whalen seems to be a better guy for the team. He has good hands, but from what I saw of him he is only a slot guy and won't get you much RAC.

Just because the kid got cut doesn't mean the talent isn't there.  Chris Carter got cut from the Eagles at one point in his career and went on to have a hall of fame career. Maybe getting cut will grow Rogers up some, he does have a ton of talent, but I am unsure if we should risk it. I think he's got better potential than Whalen as Rogers can get you RAC and he can play inside the slot and outside.  Whalen seems to be a better guy for the team. He has good hands, but from what I saw of him he is only a slot guy and won't get you much RAC.

RAC?