Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.com writers are split on AFC south.

Coltsfanman1953

I think the Colts will be improved but their record will not come close to last year. I look for Texas to win the division by a substantial margin. I also think they have a great chance to beat the Colts twice this year. Houston is much better on defense and better coached in that aspect of the game.

If they couldn't beat the 2-14 team at Lucas Oil, they're NOT beating this team at Lucas Oil. Just not happening. No one in our division is gonna sweep us

Our fledgling team took them apart the last time we played. Why fear them?

No need to fear them but one should respect them. They are quite capable of beating the Colts twice. I would say that likelihood is many times the possibility that the Colts could beat them twice. They are a very good team with stars at several positions.

If they couldn't beat the 2-14 team at Lucas Oil, they're NOT beating this team at Lucas Oil. Just not happening. No one in our division is gonna sweep us

Because you say so? It could very easily happen.... and Houston is the team to do it. Not saying they will, just that many people will favor them doing just that. On the other hand, they may have the division wrapped up by the time the second game comes around and they won't be playing everyone they have.

In what world do the Texans have a better team than we do? Too much talk show radio and TV my friend. Don't let them turn you into a yuppee.

Schuab isn't old for a NFL QB if they are being productive but he isn't young either.  Andre Johnson is starting to get up there in age too especially with the injuries he's had and as we saw with the Colts a couple of years ago it just takes getting old at a couple of spot to have a major impact on the team.  For years the Colts were one of the youngest teams in the NFL because of all the rookies and undrafted free agents they carried to round out the roster while their key parts were getting older so the fact they were one of the younger teams in the league was a bit misleading.

Now with that said Foster is not old and the Texans line is not old and most of their start defensive players are not older.  So I wouldn't call the Texans old.  I think you can say Johnson is old and Schuab is starting to get up there. 

The Texans may not be getting old in age but their story "this is the Texans year" sure is old.

Picking the Colts to go 8 - 8 is stupid, IMO.  The weakness in the Colts O is still the offensive line.  Colts still cannot run the ball, but we could not run the ball last year either.  Our D is much stronger and the Colts will not be in the position of having to out score the opponent to win any games.  Our O line will get better as the season progresses.  How good remains to be seen. 

How do you know the Colts can not run the ball?  This is a new year, new line, new OC and a new RB. 

No need to fear them but one should respect them. They are quite capable of beating the Colts twice. I would say that likelihood is many times the possibility that the Colts could beat them twice. They are a very good team with stars at several positions.

They were capable of beating the Colts twice last year, and the year before that. But they didn't do it.

If I had to get one side or the other, I'd say that the Colts would win twice this season.

Because you say so? It could very easily happen.... and Houston is the team to do it. Not saying they will, just that many people will favor them doing just that. On the other hand, they may have the division wrapped up by the time the second game comes around and they won't be playing everyone they have.

Once again, NOT happening. They had more to play for last year in round 2 and look what happened. We're not getting swept. We'll be the sweepers not the sweepes

According to the article "The Texans are one of the oldest teams in the league and have a defense that should be a difference maker"

haha.....one of the biggest myths going in the NFL is the Texans and their supposed "elite" defense.

The Texans defense is stout when they are playing scrub QB's like Blaine Gabbert or Mark Sanchez.

Anytime they are matched up against an elite QB, their D looks like a High School JV team. 

I bet they are relieved they don't have to face Rodgers or Brees this year;  those 2 would probably combine for a dozen TD throws against that D.

Anyone else think our resident Texan fans have many different user names? Or is it just me?

Anyone else think our resident Texan fans have many different user names? Or is it just me?

I am not a Texan fan. I am a Colts fan but I try to keep at least one foot firmly on the ground. I don't think the Colts are better than Denver. I do not think they are better than New England, they may not be better than the Bengals and they sure aren't as good as the Texans....... That said, I hope they do beat Texas twice but I think the opposite is more likely and a split even more likely than that. But if any team wins two, it will be the Texans.

People keep saying we won't match 11 wins well who is going to stop us? We will stomp everyone not named the broncos texans 49ers and seahawks

I expect to lose one game to Tennessee. And there are several more that are in doubt. I like Indy at 8-8 to 9-7 but being a better team than last year.

I am not a Texan fan. I am a Colts fan but I try to keep at least one foot firmly on the ground. I don't think the Colts are better than Denver. I do not think they are better than New England, they may not be better than the Bengals and they sure aren't as good as the Texans....... That said, I hope they do beat Texas twice but I think the opposite is more likely and a split even more likely than that. But if any team wins two, it will be the Texans.

I think the Colts take both Texans games. The Texans couldnt beat us last year when they needed a win to get home field advantage in the playoffs. You need  to start paying more attention to the Colts roster than to the Mad Cows. We will win the division this year. We have a better team .  And the only post I have seen you post here is to blow up the Texans. smh

I think the Colts take both Texans games. The Texans couldnt beat us last year when they needed a win to get home field advantage in the playoffs. You need  to start paying more attention to the Colts roster than to the Mad Cows. We will win the division this year. We have a better team .  And the only post I have seen you post here is to blow up the Texans. smh

What are you talking about. I only said that it is much more likely that the Texans will take two from the Colts than the Colts taking two from the Texans. I think they will probably split. I don't think the Texans lose any games to Tennessee and Jacksonville. I think the Colts will lose at least one game to Tennessee. The Colts beat lots of teams that they should not have beaten last year and that includes the Texans. However, this is a new year and though the Colts will be a better team, I expect them to come down to earth a bit. They were 11-5 last year. They could just as easily have been 5-11. The Texans are an overall better team than the Colts in spite of what you say. They are equal, better or much better at every position and that includes QB.

They almost certainly have a better defense and we probably have a better offense.  Should be a tight race.  

We do not have a better offense if Arian Foster is healthy and stays that way. Their star receiver is the equal of Reggie Wayne and younger. At this stage of their careers in this one season only, the QBs are a toss-up too. The Colts do not have an offensive line. The Texans have a great one that opens up big holes for the running game.

haha.....one of the biggest myths going in the NFL is the Texans and their supposed "elite" defense.

The Texans defense is stout when they are playing scrub QB's like Blaine Gabbert or Mark Sanchez.

Anytime they are matched up against an elite QB, their D looks like a High School JV team. 

I bet they are relieved they don't have to face Rodgers or Brees this year;  those 2 would probably combine for a dozen TD throws against that D.

That D is a whole lot better than the Colts D. They will run roughshod over the Colts. The Colts cannot stop their run game. They won't have any trouble controlling the Colts.

What are you talking about. I only said that it is much more likely that the Texans will take two from the Colts than the Colts taking two from the Texans. I think they will probably split. I don't think the Texans lose any games to Tennessee and Jacksonville. I think the Colts will lose at least one game to Tennessee. The Colts beat lots of teams that they should not have beaten last year and that includes the Texans. However, this is a new year and though the Colts will be a better team, I expect them to come down to earth a bit. They were 11-5 last year. They could just as easily have been 5-11. The Texans are an overall better team than the Colts in spite of what you say. They are equal, better or much better at every position and that includes QB.

LOL ahh I smell Mad Cow. This post sounds like a true Texan.  Take your alter ego buddy with ya Good Luck. You Texan school boys think you are so smart. You may fool some of the people here, but this ole boy aint one of em! Your main posting name is already on my ignore list. Congrats you just joined those 2. :facepalm:

Well, I would say the probability of us beating them twice is higher than them beating us twice. They've never won in Indy. We've beat them in Houston before. I don't look at Reliant as this insurmountable homefield advantage that we have no shot of taking. And I'm fairly confident in my assessment that the Texans inability to beat us in Indy is in their heads just a little bit

That is the case for almost every NFL team, regardless of how good they are as a unit

In 09 the Colts could have easily been 8-8, but guess what, they weren't.

And while I agree that the Texans have a better overall roster, your last sentence is a bit silly.

In 09 the Colts could have easily been 8-8, but guess what, they weren't.

And while I agree that the Texans have a better overall roster, your last sentence is a bit silly.

There is a rating out on QBs today by John Clayton. He gives the edge to Schaub. Luck is listed at 13th and that is probably generous. I think he is a top half of the NFL QB but just barely. Good article by Clayton. Now, Luck may be vastly better than Schaub in coming years but this year, right now, Schaub has the edge. So, it isn't silly, and you can check it out. I like Luck over the next five years by I look for growing pains this year and a slight move backward from him.

That is the case for almost every NFL team, regardless of how good they are as a unit

Wrong.

No NFL team gave up 1308 yds, 15 TD's and 0 INT's in the four games they played against elite quarterbacks, as the Texans did in the 4 games they played against Peyton, Rodgers and Brady 2x last year.  And to think, those numbers would've been much worse had the Texans played Peyton in November or December instead of September, when he was still rusty.....lol  This consistently putrid performance against elite QB's speaks to the inherent flaws of Wade Phillips blitzhappy defense, which leaves his cb's out on an island 99.9% of the time, which then leaves elite QB's like Brady or Rodgers absolutely frothing at the mouth.

So, as I said, the Texans defense is a paper tiger.

That D is a whole lot better than the Colts D. They will run roughshod over the Colts. The Colts cannot stop their run game. They won't have any trouble controlling the Colts.

I know you're trying to make a point, but don't you think you've gone a tad over the edge here?  The Colts knocked the Texans out of contention for home field advantage the last time they played each other.  The Texans are better, sure, but this isn't David vs. Goliath by any stretch.

Wrong.

No NFL team gave up 1308 yds, 15 TD's and 0 INT's in the four games they played against elite quarterbacks, as the Texans did in the 4 games they played against Peyton, Rodgers and Brady 2x last year.  And to think, those numbers would've been much worse had the Texans played Peyton in November or December instead of September, when he was still rusty.....lol  This consistently putrid performance against elite QB's speaks to the inherent flaws of Wade Phillips blitzhappy defense, which leaves his cb's out on an island 99.9% of the time, which then leaves elite QB's like Brady or Rodgers absolutely frothing at the mouth.

So, as I said, the Texans defense is a paper tiger.

Yeah, you have a point. lol They did look terrible against elite QB's, but I wouldn't downplay the addition of Ed Reed to their secondary. That  may turn out to be the biggest move in our division this year. If he's his normal self, he automatically upgrades a defense that was already decent to begin with

I know you're trying to make a point, but don't you think you've gone a tad over the edge here?  The Colts knocked the Texans out of contention for home field advantage the last time they played each other.  The Texans are better, sure, but this isn't David vs. Goliath by any stretch.

No, they are not. The difference is not that great but there is a difference.

Oh...then I won't wate my time

I assure you that I am not OlBlu. I think my posts are polite and have a point. You may not agree with all of my thoughts but I will listen to you and I'm willing to change my mind. I am not here to give anyone indigestion or upset them. I have been a Colts fan for 50 years. I saw Unitas and Raymond Berry play. I don't get carried away with them and I think I can see their imperfections. Right now, the biggest area of concern as it has been for years is special teams. I am dubious about the Colts special teams and I think it will cost them games. So, please, waster your time, I want to hear your opinions.

> tfw Goodtimes is OlBlu.

I would appreciate it if you would not do this. I am not OlBlu but your accusing me of being him is hurtful to me. I try my best to make reasonable posts that some will find interesting even if they do not agree with me. I want to hear what you think too and I am capable of changing my mind.

As per the Texans are old conversation, http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77416/average-age-rankings-for-projected-starters

Texans are the 3rd oldest squad according to this.

I'd also like to point out, that I feel like the Texans D's biggest assets (Watt specifically) are somewhat mitigated by Luck's overall skill set. FWIW my guess is this is the season the Texans window closes.