Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Terrell Pryor taking 1st team snaps for Raiders; could start week 1.

Dustin

Is Matt Flynn ever going to get a starting gig?!

I was actually talking to another guy about Flynn before he ever left the packers.  He was a packers fan.  he said that Flynn was solely a scheme QB, that he would not be able to be a good starting QB on any other team.  He did well with the Packers because he only could play that scheme.  And it looks like he was right.  I dont think he can be a good starting QB and have what it takes to beat out other people for the starting position.

Matt Flynn has been feeble. I was hoping they'd start him week one. They're probably more dangerous with Pryor, he could give them a spark with some fluky big plays. Shouldn't matter either way, though.

totally disagree...Flynn actually has plaedy...

Pryor has never been successful in the NFL

..Either way..it looks good

Jesus, how bad of a QB does Matt Flynn have to be if Terrell Pryor is getting quality reps with the 1's? Ouch...

Does Flynn crack easily under the spotlight of competition or what? Seattle...Now Oakland...not a good sign at all...

There has been talk of an elbow(?) injury, same injury he apparently had in Seattle. don't know if this is just to save face or not. If he really is injured it means he's been struggling with it for over a year which could explain some things.

Either way I think the Raiders are already writing the season off, question is do they take Clowney or Bridgewater. 

totally disagree...Flynn actually has plaedy...

Pryor has never been successful in the NFL

..Either way..it looks good

Flynn needs supporting talent to succeed. Oakland was a bad choice for him. At least Pryor can run around and use his athleticism to try to make plays when the offensive line folds early and the receivers don't get open. The raiders will retool next year, until then...

I was actually talking to another guy about Flynn before he ever left the packers.  He was a packers fan.  he said that Flynn was solely a scheme QB, that he would not be able to be a good starting QB on any other team.  He did well with the Packers because he only could play that scheme.  And it looks like he was right.  I dont think he can be a good starting QB and have what it takes to beat out other people for the starting position.

Well I know a guy that said that Flynn was going to be the next Tom Brady.  I think he can be a monster QB.

Ok, that was sarcasm.  But the point being, regardless of what anyone says, A QB will only be as a good as he is allowed to be.  For Flynn, his arm strength limitations seem to be the hold up.  I'd like to think that he has just as much of an arm as Warner did for Arizona in his late years, so perhaps he could catch on somewhere and be given a chance when the chips count.  But all in all, if Pryor gets some good coaching, his athleticism gives him worlds better upside that coaches are going to want to take a chance there.

Flynn's best shot is to be traded to a team that has lost their starter, and has no legitimate competition on the roster.  But unfortunately for him, his arm strength is likely always going to have teams looking for a better option.

There has been talk of an elbow(?) injury, same injury he apparently had in Seattle. don't know if this is just to save face or not. If he really is injured it means he's been struggling with it for over a year which could explain some things.

Either way I think the Raiders are already writing the season off, question is do they take Clowney or Bridgewater.

Bridgewater without a doubt

If Bridgewater grades out as a potential franchise QB, it's a no brainer. QB > DE

Normally a no brainier but the hype around Clowney is massive. The RG3/Luck of D. Not that I agree with it myself not having seen enough of him to pass judgement.

I'm sure the landscape will change quite a lot by draft time. The Raiders chance of picking first I feel won't :P

Normally a no brainier but the hype around Clowney is massive. The RG3/Luck of D. Not that I agree with it myself not having seen enough of him to pass judgement.

I'm sure the landscape will change quite a lot by draft time. The Raiders chance of picking first I feel won't :P

The Raiders have a great shot at 0-16

How many wins can an Clowney get over Bridgewater? It is not even close. Have to go quarterback. The ship won't be righted till they land one. 

He has looked terrible. Just terrible. A proverbial 1 hit wonder it seems. Bummer, I was rooting for the guy but he appears to really suck. 

My sentiments exactly! He played so well in that Green Bay game I thought he might turn into a decent, but not elite QB. Boy, was SW1 way off base on that one...

This is more than an elbow injury SCC. The guy either can't memorize his playbook or his field progressions reads positively suck. [best Dustin Hoffman impersonation from "Rainman"...Definitely Clowney...Yeah definitely Clowney...Kmart sucks." LOL!  lmao

My sentiments exactly! He played so well in that Green Bay game I thought he might turn into a decent, but not elite QB. Boy, was SW1 way off base on that one...

This is more than an elbow injury SCC. The guy either can't memorize his playbook or his field progressions reads positively suck. [best Dustin Hoffman impersonation from "Rainman"...Definitely Clowney...Yeah definitely Clowney...Kmart sucks." LOL!  lmao

I've not seen enough of him to make a firm judgement, but then who has? The Green Bay games are getting written off as being a product of the system now but I still think you can't have a game like that without some talent. 

I do also think injury has played some part, take this article from last season:

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawksblog/2019316241_petecarrolldiscussesmattflynnsstatus.html

Now this could be a face saving exercise but it does sound to me, especially as they were very unspecific about the injury that he as a low level niggle that wouldn't go away. When you combine this with reports that the same elbow is sore again it does make you wonder whether he's got a underlying problem, but you'd think in this day and age it would have been picked up on and addressed over a year, or at the least picked up in his medical for the Raiders. 

Long story short he's in no way an exceptional talent but IMO he would have been better than say a Gabbert, but again maybe that's the thinking, they really want that no.1 pick :P