Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

You still got to love Donald Brown

oldunclemark

Your last paragraph makes sense, but your first one is Exactly my point. Calling Donald Brown a home run hitter is purely speculation because he NEVER hits home runs. In regular season or playoff games, how many touchdowns has he ever scored? he probably ranks near the bottom half of the league. Why don't I make up something for Werner? I will start calling him the most dangerous man on the field from now on. You have to earn a title and DB has not earned any title yet.

1-15 compared to 2-14, take your pick

Donald Brown, 80yards vs the Titans to take us to 2-14. The home run ability is there. But honestly, what RB can hit a home run behind our offensive line?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If graded on his level 2 ability (F) DB is Not an NFL RB.

If he had gone undrafted, he would be out of the League. JMO.

Plenty of 1st round busts, he has just survived because of his draft status and because we have stunk.

Now he will have a decent line and a co-ordinator who will use his skills. I hope as much as Anyone the light comes on and he flourishes. His production will be important.

Health is the only thing that Ballard is better at than Brown.  That's an important quality though.

He's shown he's a better inside and outside runner, he's usually a better blocker, and yes, he has an occasional drop but he's still a better receiver. 

Those who say he goes down too easily, did you see him Saturday night?

JMO but the Only thing Brown is clearly better at is hittiing a Big Wide Open hole to the outside.

JMO but the Only thing Brown is clearly better at is hittiing a Big Wide Open hole to the outside.

Is that backed up by anything?  Last year they both had the exact same avg/carry.  Brown was a little better on yds/rec.

IMO, Brown is a better blocker but Ballard did get better as the season went on.  And is there something wrong with having a back that can hit the big wide open hole to the outside?

Is that backed up by anything?  Last year they both had the exact same avg/carry.  Brown was a little better on yds/rec.

IMO, Brown is a better blocker but Ballard did get better as the season went on.  And is there something wrong with having a back that can hit the big wide open hole to the outside?

You are a Great fan Smonroe.

Of course its terrible if all a RB can do well is to need a Big Hole to be productive.

But I wouldn`t give DB a C grade at any aspect.

IMO the only reason DB is still in the League is because he is a #1 draft pick and we as a team have stunk.

He will get a better chance this year. I as much as ANY Colts fan hope the light comes on and DB is a big contributor going forward. You know he will be needed.

Brown missed cuts to openings last year on i`m guestimating maybe half his rushes. He stank.

Against Cleveland i about fell out of my chair when he actually cut to Big, well blocked holes like ANY decent RB is paid to do.

Good job Pep & O-Line.

hum, i recall he dropped an easy pass. Lets not bring that up.

You must not have watched the overtime game in the Tenn.  last year. The whole overtime drive was built around Brown's running(6 carries on that drive) and then Ballard got the glory on the last play......but it was Brown that did the work. Brown isn't always good but he has had his moments and I like that he is playing special teams this year on the kickoffs.

You must not have watched the overtime game in the Tenn.  last year. The whole overtime drive was built around Brown's running(6 carries on that drive) and then Ballard got the glory on the last play......but it was Brown that did the work. Brown isn't always good but he has had his moments and I like that he is playing special teams this year on the kickoffs.

Weee! Brown had a career drive against a stink team.

Sorry, it Meant Zero in the big picture. The guy has a history and IMO he grades as a Stinkaroo.

And that means nothing going forward. Wish DB great health and the Best. I do hope he turns into a Kevin Faulk!

It is very reasonable to hope he could get near that, cause it ain`t over... oops, just saw him drop that easy screen pass AGAIN.

Darn it Donald!!

I still think he was a waist of a 1st round pick.  Could have waited a couple rounds and still got him.  He is a decent back up rb.  Should have never been the starter. And im sorry 6 runs for 21 yards is not impressive at all.  only 3.5 yards per carry.  

I think you need to take into consideration the volume of carries more...6 carries...thats it, he is doing what is asked of him and thats be a change of pace back

I don't know why so many Colt fans have such animosity for Donald Brown. I think of DB as very similar to Don McCauley (a Colt running back from the 70's). McCauley was a first round pick that played on very bad Colt teams his first few years and was not very good....but later in the mid 70's playing on the Bert Jones Colts behind Lydell Mitchell, McCauley became a very solid contributor (scored a lots of TD's, didn't fumble much, and could both run and catch the ball). 10 TD's in 75.

I think Brown is the 3rd best back on the team but he plays hard and on a better team with a better  O-line than the last few years he will show that this year and like McCauley I'll be glad we kept him around.  

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCaDo00.htm

We have never been a run-first team with overpowering run blockers up front...

DB has always run with no lead blocker and largely on first down

If they use Brown as a leak-out receiver out of pass protection and give him 10 caries a game, you'll see him be a major factor,,

of course, if he stays healthy

I don't know about DB leaking out unless you are referring to the ball leaking out of his hands.  DB just seems to drop balls in the flat.

People bash Brown yet Ballard isn't a home run hitter himself either. Put any top RB behind our terrible offensive line and they'll be a thing of the past. A RB is only as good as his maulers out in front.

Unless your name is Barry Sanders

People do not bash DB because he is not a "home run hitter".  People bash him because he is tackled easily, drops to many balls when open, does not block well, often injured, soft and has no moves once past the LOS.

I saw him turn away from a block this past game.  As contact was about to be made DB turns completely side way to avoid the contact.

I would not be at all surprised if DB does not make this roster.

1-15 compared to 2-14, take your pick

Donald Brown, 80yards vs the Titans to take us to 2-14. The home run ability is there. But honestly, what RB can hit a home run behind our offensive line?

I choose 1-15, to get Luck.

Vick Ballard, corkscrew dive to win the game against the Titans while a healthy Donald Brown watched from the sidelines.  The home run ability is there.  But honestly, what RB can hit a home run behind our offensive line?  Ballard DID hit a homerun.

I choose 1-15, to get Luck.

Vick Ballard, corkscrew dive to win the game against the Titans while a healthy Donald Brown watched from the sidelines. The home run ability is there. But honestly, what RB can hit a home run behind our offensive line? Ballard DID hit a homerun.

Ballard was in the flats that play. That's not "behind" our offensive line. And had the defender who jumped the throw been a CB or S instead of a lineman, that's pick 6 going the other way.

But anyway back to the point, running behind our offensive line isn't a cake walk

I don't know why so many Colt fans have such animosity for Donald Brown. I think of DB as very similar to Don McCauley (a Colt running back from the 70's). McCauley was a first round pick that played on very bad Colt teams his first few years and was not very good....but later in the mid 70's playing on the Bert Jones Colts behind Lydell Mitchell, McCauley became a very solid contributor (scored a lots of TD's, didn't fumble much, and could both run and catch the ball). 10 TD's in 75.

I think Brown is the 3rd best back on the team but he plays hard and on a better team with a better  O-line than the last few years he will show that this year and like McCauley I'll be glad we kept him around.  

if Brown gets 10 TDs this year, I will take back everything I have said about him.   

Btw, I liked Don McCauley. 

Ballard was in the flats that play. That's not "behind" our offensive line. And had the defender who jumped the throw been a CB or S instead of a lineman, that's pick 6 going the other way.

But anyway back to the point, running behind our offensive line isn't a cake walk

Our offensive line is NOT the point of this thread.  The thread is titled "You still got to love Donald Brown" and I don't know why the OP would start a thread like that when he knows that half (or more) of us DON'T like him at all.  It was an imflammatory  thread, imo.  

Btw, behind our line, if Ballard had started every game, he would have been close to a 1000 yards.  Behind our line, Luck broke records.  Great players don't need excuses like you guys give DB.  I am glad though.  If he doesn't produce this year, he is gone.  If he does, then he will have helped our Colts and I will be glad.

Our offensive line is NOT the point of this thread. The thread is titled "You still got to love Donald Brown" and I don't know why the OP would start a thread like that when he knows that half (or more) of us DON'T like him at all. It was an imflammatory thread, imo.

Btw, behind our line, if Ballard had started every game, he would have been close to a 1000 yards. Behind our line, Luck broke records. Great players don't need excuses like you guys give DB. I am glad though. If he doesn't produce this year, he is gone. If he does, then he will have helped our Colts and I will be glad.

Well, nice to know you don't like Donald Brown.

My work here is done

Our offensive line is NOT the point of this thread.  The thread is titled "You still got to love Donald Brown" and I don't know why the OP would start a thread like that when he knows that half (or more) of us DON'T like him at all.  It was an imflammatory  thread, imo.  

Btw, behind our line, if Ballard had started every game, he would have been close to a 1000 yards.  Behind our line, Luck broke records.  Great players don't need excuses like you guys give DB.  I am glad though.  If he doesn't produce this year, he is gone.  If he does, then he will have helped our Colts and I will be glad.

It wasn't inflammatory at all lol calm down man and just so you know Ballard and Brown had the same ypc(3.9) last season so by your logic Brown could have had 1000 yards to or more likely would have continued to share carries and they would have had similar yards, neither 1 sniffing 1000 yards...Is Ballard the better Back? Of course but using ypc as a means to prove that is a flaw

Well maybe he will not be as scared tackling the ball carrier as he is of being tackled.

Don McCauley like DB?  Are you serious? 

IMO, Brown became a whipping boy for a lot of fans that were frustrated with the lack of a running game.  As such, I think he is judged unfairly by some fans.  He's not perfect for sure, but I always thought the guy was a pretty good RB.  Just needs to stay healthy and get some carries.  Let's face it, our Oline stunk for most of his career.

Okay, SW1 will openly recouse myself since I haven't actually seen the Colts/Browns game yet. My DVR is set to record it though. But, I will say that I've never been sold on Brown that much. I don't hate the guy; I don't love the guy. His speed is decent not exceptional. I like battering rams like Bradshaw & Ballard that push defenders out of the way & can thumb you running between the tackles myself.

Use him sure, but this Donald Brown affection on here astonishes & perplexes me personally. [Not a reflection on you lollygager. Just brainstorming outloud.]

I totally agree SW1 I'm excited to have Bradshaw and I like wat Ballard has done can't seem to see wat ppl see in brown :/

Donald Brown has no vision. He was one of Polians bad picks. I was thrilled to get him when everyone was in love with Addai. Addai had vision, but would not run away from would be tacklers. I think DB gets tunnel vision and cant elude many tacklers. Its hard to describe. Walter Peyton, Barry Sanders and Billy Sims played on some sorry teams with no help on the o-line. They still got their yardage. I believe vision was one of their many talents that got them by.

Donald Brown has no vision. He was one of Polians bad picks. I was thrilled to get him when everyone was in love with Addai. Addai had vision, but would not run away from would be tacklers. I think DB gets tunnel vision and cant elude many tacklers. Its hard to describe. Walter Peyton, Barry Sanders and Billy Sims played on some sorry teams with no help on the o-line. They still got their yardage. I believe vision was one of their many talents that got them by.

There's always that guy. What kind of guy? That guy.

The fact that Addai and Brown were able to at times to pull off good/great runs behind our O-line as it declined is a miracle. While vision might seem like his main issue it's hard to say that's his biggest problem when the O-line a lot of the times gave him nothing to see.

Barry Sanders arguably had an even worse O-line to run against but his ability to evade everyone got him a lot of yards not vision (Cause there wasn't much to see with that O-line blocking).

Donald Brown get's a lot of flack (and a good amount of it is deserved), but there are things he hasn't been able to control which hurt his production.

It wasn't inflammatory at all lol calm down man and just so you know Ballard and Brown had the same ypc(3.9) last season so by your logic Brown could have had 1000 yards to or more likely would have continued to share carries and they would have had similar yards, neither 1 sniffing 1000 yards...Is Ballard the better Back? Of course but using ypc as a means to prove that is a flaw

Brown could not of had a thousand yards as he was hurt again and again and again.

Brown could not of had a thousand yards as he was hurt again and again and again.

Im not making excuses for him, Some of what is said about him his play is true, he is a small back that can run between the Tackles and have some success but he is not built to do it repeatedly, I have seen him up close numerous times now at TC......He is a small guy, he has muscle but no fat to take that pounding, He is a darter with tunnel vision on most of his runs, if he was your back up then you would be in pretty decent shape, the guy simply does not fumble (1 fumble his rookie year) but he is a change of pace Back

27416694.jpg

[img=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IgebrRvxr-0/UQnf1UrBpHI/AAAAAAAABGI/-fIrfZJ-o5I/s1600/27416694.

Mother said to clean up the basement and go look for a job tomorrow. Meatloaf is in the frig.

lol, your contribution was equally valuable.  PS. I'm 36, have my own apartment and work for an IT company in Carmel.  Nice try though. 

See, I was going to write out an actual post in response to what you said, but each time I wound up with a reply that would have resulted in a ban so I decided to just let the pic do the talking as it was short, sweet and to the point.  

[img=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-IgebrRvxr-0/UQnf1UrBpHI/AAAAAAAABGI/-fIrfZJ-o5I/s1600/27416694.

Mother said to clean up the basement and go look for a job tomorrow. Meatloaf is in the frig.

On and by the way, thanks for clarifying your problem.  So inflammatory posts are perfectly fine as long as it's not directed towards you.  I think we got it now.

lol, your contribution was equally valuable.  PS. I'm 36, have my own apartment and work for an IT company in Carmel.  Nice try though. 

See, I was going to write out an actual post in response to what you said, but each time I wound up with a reply that would have resulted in a ban so I decided to just let the pic do the talking as it was short, sweet and to the point.

...and you play C.OD. all night in Mothers basement while she washes your clothes. Tell Clint Mr. Lockedown wants a sequel to Million Dollar Baby only with MMA.

...and you play C.OD. all night in Mothers basement while she washes your clothes. Tell Clint Mr. Lockedown wants a sequel to Million Dollar Baby only with MMA.

I'm not driving over an hour to have my mom wash my clothes, they have no basement, and I've never played C.O.D.   If you'd have said Borderlands 2 then you'd have finally gotten something right but alas...you didn't.