Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Toler vs Giants

Smonroe

Greg Toler had a pretty good game to me outside of his PI call, he made a great recovery to get the INT, and he was never really "beat" on the play

Bethea had the better position and perhaps Toler would've been better served to back off. However, it seemed to me that Toler didn't anticipate Bethea's positioning and Bethea actually bumped Toler into the PI call unwittingly. 

I think the PI was just circumstance. Though Toler got beat bad on that play and if the pass had been thrown on time, Toler would've been watching his man streak away for 6. 

Bethea got frozen by a Manning look-off and probably should've given better assistance over the top as well. 

I'm watching it right now. Had to record it while I was at the Sabbath concert...anyway...Davis is looking pretty much like a shutdown CB right now. Toler is definitely getting picked on. I agree with some of the concerns, but he isn't giving up any big plays. A lot of slants and quick stuff as well as throws in which Eli has a lot of time.

and how was Sabbath? Did Ozzy manage to sing? Is Toni Iommi a bad dude or what?

Did he look a bit tentative?  Even on the INT, it looked like he was beat but made a great recovery.

I think he'll be fine and is an upgrade.

He did look a bit tentative at times, especially early in the game.  On the PI he was beaten badly and if Manning had not hesitated when throwing it would have been 6 points for the Giants.

But I will say on the INT that is how you want the CB playing when the wr is running down the sideline.  If he plays between the WR and the endzone the WR breaks off his route and the QB throws it to the back shoulder and it's an easy completion.  But if he plays between the WR and the QB then the QB has to get some air under his throw (if he doesn't it gets INT) and if he gets air under his throw then it gives the safety time to get over to make the play.  I don't know if that is how Toler is taught but that is how I teach my kids to play the CB position.

Did he look a bit tentative? Even on the INT, it looked like he was beat but made a great recovery.

I think he'll be fine and is an upgrade.

I think the whole team looked that way at the start. Once they settled in they looked good. I still don't think that was a pi. He was playing the ball and bethea bumped him into nicks

I think the whole team looked that way at the start. Once they settled in they looked good. I still don't think that was a pi. He was playing the ball and bethea bumped him into nicks

I was just re-watching.  It was really close, but it was PI.  You may be right, it probably was because Bethea bumped him though.

Also, on the INT - it looked like he was trailing Nicks on the play and Eli either underthrew it or Nicks didn't run the correct route.  It looked to me like he had Toler beat and it should have been a big play.

I'm not putting Toler down, I think he's a huge upgrade over last year.  But that's what I saw.

and how was Sabbath? Did Ozzy manage to sing? Is Toni Iommi a bad dude or what?

Sabbath was very good. Ozzy sings better than he speaks haha. It's truly incredible hearing that dark, dirty tone that Iommi has in person. Maybe the only chance I will have to see them, so I sacrificed watching a preseason game live! Thank you DVR.

He's a bazillion times better than Powers, so I'm happy. 

Talking about Jerraud Powers, I saw him get beat on a 9 route and Romo missed his wide open WR streaking down the sideline in the Cardinal game.

Powers however made up for it by stripping the ball out of Dez Bryant's hands, which is hard to do.

Those Cardinals are a pesky defense again, IMO.

Talking about Jerraud Powers, I saw him get beat on a 9 route and Romo missed his wide open WR streaking down the sideline in the Cardinal game.

Powers however made up for it by stripping the ball out of Dez Bryant's hands, which is hard to do.

Those Cardinals are a pesky defense again, IMO.

Powers likes to maintain his Auburn schedule. He's done after 11 games. So he probably won't play against us.

Nobody is like Revis.  When healthy he is on his own planet.

Vonte got beat at least once, and badly missed on a tackle because he dove at the feet of the running back, which turned into a big gain.

He got beat because the QB had all day on that particular play

He badly missed that tackle because he was being blocked by a lineman

At least that's how I remember it....I could be wrong

I was just re-watching.  It was really close, but it was PI.  You may be right, it probably was because Bethea bumped him though.

Also, on the INT - it looked like he was trailing Nicks on the play and Eli either underthrew it or Nicks didn't run the correct route.  It looked to me like he had Toler beat and it should have been a big play.

I'm not putting Toler down, I think he's a huge upgrade over last year.  But that's what I saw.

one of the safeties was over the top i think? almost positive. guessing that's why eli didnt air it out and let nicks run under it...